Anonymous
Years ago

Sam Harris - great at trainings, so what's up?

I went out to a 6ers training a couple of weeks and couldn't for the life of me figure out why big Sam isn't in the 10. He was the best player on the court other than Ballinger at the session. He was blocking shots all over the place, had great touch from mid range, and runs the floor like a demon. The guy is NBA talent ffs. It was frustrating to watch seeing the kids undeniable talent thinking it would be wasted for 12 mths!!

I'm not related to him and never actually met him just watched their training with a bunch of other local coaches.

Topic #24012 | Report this topic

Spinner  
Years ago

So imagine how much better he will be when he has a season of development training with the squad! Marty just wants to work on a couple of things before he is inleashed.

Reply #292134 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Trainings vs games. If he was good enough, he'd get played in games IMO. I can only think that he just doesn't translate that performance to real games?

Reply #292135 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Anon, what kind of competition did he have though? sounded like when he suited up for the warm up games he kept getting the ball stripped off of him and it was obvious he was still an amateur. This is from what i have heard/read i personally havent seen him play. If he was surely ready for the NBL marty would play him.

Reply #292136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spinner please, some of you other cats have a point but spinner. Spending 12 mths of training as opposed to 6 mths of hardcore professional hoops dominating against the big men of the nbl. Please, what is better for the kid????

Reply #292138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ha ha ha, if he was good enough he would have got the gig, instead they have given it to Tom Daly, who is by far the best under 20 player in this state, plus he is south australian, plus he wants to play at the 6ers, just because a bloke is tall and can block a few shots doesnt make him NBA material, if he was why isnt he playing NBA.

dread to think that you are coaching too!!

Reply #292139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was this the training on Tueday night last week where a memo went out inviting coaches?

Sam Harris struggled during that session.

Reply #292140 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, also, this situation is not unique to the 36ers and Marty either. From memory, he had a run in Perth too and didn't have a big impact.

And I think he trained a bit with the 36ers years ago, probably under Phil?

Reply #292141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea and Tom Daly was almost better than their import (not devries).

You guys watch! Mark my words Sam Harris will be the next Chris Anstey!

Reply #292145 | Report this post

DJfromPerth  
Years ago

Not sure if he has improved considerably, but when he was at Perth he really struggled. He is to soft, slow and struggles to catch a good pass. I would love to see him out there, but in the games I watched of him, he looked horrible :S

Reply #292146 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I feel the big area he needs to work on is his running key to key.

Second area is a bit of aggression wouldn't hurt. If he had Hinder's attitude and Ninja's pace, then he would be NBA material.

Reply #292147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've seen a bit of him with Perth and I can't for the life of me understand giving Dowdell a roster spot over Harris. Dowdell's fortunate to be in the league and will only play 5-10 mpg when you could have a 7'3" guy in there to change things up tempo wise and maybe steal a few cheap buckets.

WTF is Dowdell gonna do?

Reply #292155 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dowdell's played his role pretty well in the pre-season actually. He was widely panned by Crocs and Cats fans in recent years so I'm interested to see how he does under Marty.

Only saw Harris get on court for a brief moment against Wollongong and he was soon subbed out.

Reply #292158 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Boti's recent article had this to say about Harris:

http://linky.com.au/85shs

"Sam Harris, the team's 221cm work-in-progress - who was a member of Perth's roster last season - was not genuinely an option.

"Sammy was brought in with the idea he wouldn't be part of the picture until next year," Clarke said.

"He needs a good nine-month pre-season to get his foot-speed, strength and agility to where it needs to be. He's tried to be a player and hasn't paid attention to those things. This is probably his last chance to become a player."

Clarke's said he preferred not to compromise on his plan for Harris by taking a gamble against Perth for a short-term fix."

Reply #292162 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Is it correct Warebout? is ahead of Harris on roster?

Reply #292169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is the new development player now daly has been upgraded

Reply #292171 | Report this post

Clem Scott  
Years ago

I agree Sam does need to work on speed and strength but I would definitely pencil him in for the future. Well done to Daly for the 10 spot, would have been a close decision between Tom and Hooley, both promising lads.

Reply #292172 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

You lost me at "NBA talent", anon.

How tall is Jan Warbout now? Legit PF size or?...

Too far Jack Toft, maybe Wortho's attitude but not Hinder! lol

Reply #292176 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Yeah maybe, but I kinda like Hinder. He's got the look of the sort of guy you don't want to meet in a dark alley.

Reply #292178 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Sam Harris - NBA talent... C'mon OP you need to wake up ffs.....

Reply #292182 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

come on, everybody knows that an unwanted player has to play for the hawks before anyone will believe in them.

Reply #292187 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Isn't Creek our 10 man dev/certain age guy (injured) so they bring in Daly as our 10 man dev/certain age guy.

Harris is to old to be the dev/certain age guy?
So his only chance of being in the 10 is being the 9 man (or higher if he is THAT good).

Keep him as 11th man bring him in for injuries (barring the young player) and put alot of focus and work into him in the background, prepare for next season.

Reply #292222 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Johnson is eligible as the YAP for this year and next. And Creek beyond that I guess.

Harris could've taken the spot Daly has temporarily if Marty wanted him to, AFAIK.

Reply #292233 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:48 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754