Just a local
Years ago

Marion Council ready but need BSA support

With Council elections coming I decided to be pro active and find out what my local council thought about basketball, and in particular Marion Stadium.

It is with regret that I was basically told while the Council agree that Marion Stadium is out of date and not workable they can not and will not push for a new venue.

Why?

Because they have tried and failed. Failed because the Sports Club that actually lease the venue from the Council and Basketball SA which leases the venue from the Sports Club aren't interested in pushing for a new venue.

The Council assured me (albeit during an election) that they want a new indoor sports venue on Sturt Road within the Sports Club grounds but that it was up to the Sports Club and BSA to push this and that netball would have to be included in any plans.

I therefore ask why after 60 years at the old Marion Stadium, Basketball SA would rather fund another upgrade to Morphett Vale and I'm told an expansion to Wayville instead of working with a Council eager to build a new indoor venue?

Topic #24099 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

Have you sent BSA a letter? as they will not answer you on this forum

Reply #293281 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Great question though.

Reply #293311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well I wade in here and be devils advocate.
Funding of Morphett Vale was about 250,000 and that came from local council, grant money and BSA.
Hardly the money that is required for a new stadium at Marion.
BSA wouldnt have the 8 million in their coffers,
and would rely on funding from gov, banks and council.
I currently think their focus is North west of the city with hillcrest and pt adelaide with the new super school.
Chuck in talks about a wayville & pasadena expansion and marion would be at the bottom of the pile for any up grade.
If the marion council can build a bloody monstrosity of a swimming centre for however millions which is a gov/council project, why can they build some new courts.
Local council should be serving the local people not finger pointing at sporting organisation who dont have much funding and have to bend over for any funding that they may require.

Reply #293319 | Report this post

Pallas  
Years ago

Marion Council in fact have $20million to spend on sporting facilities over the next 5 years.

Marion Council has allocated land as mentioned on Sturt Road less than 100meters from Marion Shopping Centre for a new 4 - 6 court basketball/netball stadium.

Marion Council predict the new venue would cost $10million.

Marion Council will build the venue with minimal funding from either BSA, Netball or the Sports Club but would like the State Government to assist with the cost.

The only thing stopping this from going ahead right now is Basketball SA's lack of interest.

Marion Council have approached BSA for help with planning and design and a management plan. BSA have provided nothing.

The only thing stopping South Adelaide and all of basketballers from having a new venue with at least four courts is Basketball SA.

Once again BSA proving instead of building the sport, they're actually holding it back.

Reply #293492 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Wow, interesting.

Definitely something that should be explored considering the state of the stadium. A new sporting facility down there would be fantastic.

Reply #293794 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:10 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754