Cap Daddy
Years ago

David Cooper signs with Sixers

You heard it here first folks...

I spoke with Coops (ex Cairns) last night and he signed a deal with the Sixers yesterday, he will be arriving down here towards the end of next week.

Topic #241 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I've heard Cooper's name mentioned before so while this wouldn't be a surprise, it's good to hear that they might've managed to get the deal done.

Here's the roster now:

Maher/JWilliams (my bet, if he recovers from injury soon)
Farley/Ng (?)
Holmes/Nash
Rychart/Forman
Cooper/Rees

Obviously it wouldn't be ideal starting Cooper or Rees at the 5, but it's an improvement on last year to have those two added to Rychart (strong but lacks height), Holmes (strong and definitely NBL-quality rebounder, but gives up height) and Forman (potential, but needs more strength and positioning for rebounds).

Reply #1785 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

We don't need a scorer at the 5 spot. Brett, Willie & Dusty will all be at or above 20 ppg, we'd probably be looking at maybe 65-70 or so from them per game, plus I'd say 12-15ppg from Jacob. If we get 10 points and 12-15 rebounds from Cooper/Rees combined we're laughing. Then hopefully Nash will be looking at maybe 8 ppg and whatever we get from the rest is gravy.

Reply #1786 | Report this post

Bob Knight  
Years ago

We now have one of the most intimidating frontcourts in the league.

Reply #1789 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Rychart's scoring will drop significantly with CT out of the picture -- those two were the top combination in the NBL last year for assists: CT to Dusty. But as much as his scoring is pretty opportunistic, he gets it done and I'd pick him over Garrison, Stiff or other combos from the last championship.

If Maher stays healthy (and he deserves to: a champion of the league), this will be a good team.

Reply #1791 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

It's a decent team. My very early estimation puts them around 5th or 6th.

With a bit of luck and if the team gels well, a top 4 is a realistic aim.

Not totally sure about Cooper. He's a good shot blocker. Will have to wait and see how he goes getting more minutes but he does have Reesy there to support him so on any given night we should be able to rely on one or the other.

Reply #1792 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

The addition of David will definately bolster the chances this coming season. Im assuming we didnt pay him a great deal which works well.
Bring on the season as we actually have some size ( not massive but fairly long )now and may not give up 3rd and 4th opportunities on the defensive boards like we did last season.
Management are doing OK i suppose. We gotta give some credit, the season may not be a dead loss like I thought it was going to be a number of months ago.. Lets jump back on the band wagon and get people buying up the season tickets and get the DOME(tin shed) pumping next season.

Reply #1795 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Joyce is stating that his starting 5 for the Hawks will be Mee, Campbell, Saville, Rice and Mueller. I think the Sixers would be competitive against that line-up. Also, the probable bench roster of the Sixers should be stronger than many others -- Nash and JWilliams could start, and Oscar and Darren (if he gets picked up) have a bit of experience now. Then Rees has more still in him than the Bullets gave him chance to show.

Any player in that line-up could suit for 25 minutes if need be, but I don't think the same could be said for a few other teams with raw rookies.

Reply #1799 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Despite criticisms, I think the 36ers learnt their lessons last year with the cap, better than anyone else in the league, and learnt to deal with it quickly.

Though, if Farley falls through... what then?

Reply #1802 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Farley falling through is probably one player we CAN cover, simply because he is an import.

Maher, Holmes or even Cooper or Rees leaving (unlikely) or more possibly getting injured for long periods will see us in more trouble.

I'm still not as confident as some of you guys. I don't believe our incoming players (Farley, Rees and Cooper) are as good as our two biggest outgoings (Catt and CT), so I'm still not convinced, even though we have improved the balance a bit more.

Reply #1809 | Report this post

Regal Scooter  
Years ago

Bob Knight

You are a knowledgeable coach, and are obviously being sarcastic when you say it's an "intimidating frontcourt".

I take it you can offer what you realistically think the Sixers frontcourt should be. We'd all love to see it.

Signed,
Someone You Once Threw A Chair At

Reply #1810 | Report this post

j bags  
Years ago

Um.....Hi!!!

I've just checked the stats on "Hangin with Mr. Cooper!"

What is all the Hype?

We have got a "decent" back up 5! If that!

4PPG & 3.8RPG last season!!!! He is a big man correct???? I'm not completely sure looking at those stats! Can someone clarify this!

Career averages of 4 & 4.1!
In my opinion Average describes him in a nut shell!

Now I know I'll probly cop some flack for this post, but come on! Look at the stat line people!

If he florishes under phil's guidence that would be great, but I just can't see it happening! He has been in the NBL level for 4 seasons! Did someone say J-will??

Bags you are a nasty piece of work!

Reply #1813 | Report this post

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

I am with you Jbags....the guy is tall and that is it.....maybe some of the general's words will uncover a hidden gem ........i doubt it though

We will win the award for skiniest front line in the NBL this season though so may be that is a good thing!!

he has done nothing fantastic in the teams he has been with thus far.....hopefully he will proove us wrong!!

Reply #1815 | Report this post

Shaqdiddy  
Years ago

I like the honesty you guys have, but I think this guy will surprise some people. Don't worry about his stat line, the fact he's been in the league JUST 4 seasons is a good thing, he finally has his chance to blossom, and show what worth he might have. Thiss guy has some long arms, he will change some shots and we still have a lot of bulk in the forward positions. He'll take some time settling in, never be apart of an intimidating frontcourt, but he will get our running game with Farley going again! Nice cheap pickup! Wish him well!

Reply #1820 | Report this post

Vincent Vega  
Years ago

Regal Scooter,

"Someone you once threw a chair at".

I'm afraid that's probably not enough information for Coach Knight to identify you. Nor is this.

Signed,
Someone you once tried to choke to death

http://www.indystar.com/library/factfiles/people/k/knight_bob/knight.html

Reply #1822 | Report this post

Regal Scooter  
Years ago

Vincent Vega

I ask the questions around here.

Bob Knight bags the Sixers frontcourt and yet offers no viable alternative.

I care little for his factfile and merely wish for him to demonstrate why he is so highly regarded by giving us his ideal Sixers frontcourt.

That is all.

Signed,
Bob Knight's Red Knitted Jumper Circa 1981

Reply #1825 | Report this post

solid gold  
Years ago

Scooter ease up on Vega he's your father (or is that Vader). Knight's well known for his mouth let him play he cant hurt anyone, except for the choke and chair guy.

Signed
Alfords jumper was better than Thomas , but he was white

Reply #1826 | Report this post

Bob Knight  
Years ago

Regal,

You picked a bad day to piss me off. Well done for calling my bluff, you're a real basketball genius. Derek Moore, Axel Dench or Tim Behrendorff would be great for the Sixers frontcourt. If you think that David Cooper and Paul Rees are going to get it done against the better teams in the league then your dreaming. Cooper has career stats that make Kym Taylor look good. Rees can't even get it done at an ABL level against smaller under sized centres.

Time to get off your scooter, Regal .... you're luggage!

Next I time I throw a chair I'll be aiming for your head.

Signed,
Someone who out coaches your uneducated arse every time we meet.

Reply #1836 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

Cooper can rebound, block shots and run the floor - he is an athlete with some hops and athleticism and will definitely be an asset at the defensive end.

My concerns are how will he function in Smyth's "shoot it up" offense. Cooper has no post-moves, no jump-shot whatsoever, and can't hit a free-throw to save his life. I'm not sure on his passing ability but that could be his saving grace.

If he sets good screens and does a good job of getting his teammates open, then this might work. If his role is clearly defined, and he understands that his job is to crash the boards at both ends, be a defensive presense, run the floor, and pick up his points from transition and pick'n rolls, and accepts and flourishs in this role, then it could be a great fit.

Only time will tell . . .

Reply #1841 | Report this post

Vincent Vega  
Years ago

Coach Knight, when will you come out of shell, and tell Regal what you really think?

Signed,
"If that's a good shot, then I'm a paratrooper in the Women's Chinese Navy."

Reply #1842 | Report this post

Regal Scooter  
Years ago

Bob Knight

I appreciate your input.

Solid Gold

I don't appreciate yours.

Next question for Bob Knight (and far more important than who is in or out of the Sixers frontcourt for 04/05):

Who wins in a game of 2 on 2 between the Nuggets' backcourt circa 1988 of Fat Lever and Michael Adams and the Cavs' backcourt circa 1990 of Mark Price and Craig Ehlo?

Give reasons for your answer - or suffer the consequences.

Signed,
Larry Bird Should Have Played For Indiana University But Their Coach Made Him Leave

Reply #1843 | Report this post

Vincent Vega  
Years ago

Not that you're asking me Regal, but Lever and Adams would win on a buzzer beater every time. Ehlo would always be defending the game winning shot, and would be seen huddling in shame while the winners rejoice. The upside for Ehlo is that he'd make it onto millions of wall-sized posters around the world for years to come.

Coach Knight, resorting to cheap Arnold Schwarzenneger quotes shows a total lack of class. Consider this a divorce.

Signed,
"God couldn't care less if we win or not. He is not going to parachute in through the roof of this building and score when we need points."

Reply #1844 | Report this post

Regal Scooter  
Years ago

I dispute that VV

Who can guard Price? He'll shoot over Adams, and penetrate off Lever and kick back to Ehlo when Adams comes to help for open jumper after open jumper.

Adams won't got his jumpshot off against either of them, and while Lever is a good allrounder, in a 2 on 2 game you need more than that. Cavs 11-5 (1 point per basket)

Next question: who wins this 2 on 2 game: Woody Harrelson and Wesley Snipes from White Men Can't Jump versus Ray Allen and Denzel Washington from that Spike Lee movie He Got Game?

Reply #1845 | Report this post

Vincent Vega  
Years ago

Your prediction sounds like BS, RS. Ehlo never wins close games.

Regarding the movie matchup ...

Snipes would carve it up early, then choke late in the game, at which point Washington and Allen would take over, and win by a nose. In the post game press conference, Snipes and Harrelson would get into an argument about whether Snipes' late form slump was due to him throwing the game for a bet, or due to being distracted by foods that start with the letter Q.

Reply #1847 | Report this post

Bob Knight  
Years ago

Regal, I like your persistence and toughness. I thought I shut you down. Good work!

To answer your question, Price and Ehlo can both shoot the rock and would shut down Lever and Adams with airtight defence.

Time to change the choke on your scooter, Regal.

Reply #1849 | Report this post

Regal Scooter  
Years ago

Bob,

Let's go multiple choice. Which player, when asked why he shoots so many threes, said: "Because they don't have fours"?

Was it
a) Dirk Nowitzki
b) Antoine Walker
c) Reggie Miller
d) The guy in Hoosiers who hits the winning shot after his team run the Picket Fence offence

Signed,
The Only Person In The World Who Has A First Name Of Calbert Is Calbert Cheaney

Reply #1851 | Report this post

Bob Knight  
Years ago

e) Shane Heal - My range is when I get off the plane. My cork screw action gets the job done everytime. I've never seen a shot I didn't like.

Reply #1852 | Report this post

Da Houndawg #55  
Years ago

B Antoine Walker.

Isn't it great that we go out and sign a sort of athletic stick man from another state when we had a truly athletic powerful big man who was never asked or even considered for the position?

Yay.

Reply #1861 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

J Bags, you bag Cooper's career stats... how about comparing those to the centres' stats the Sixer's had in premiership seasons and have another think about what you're talking about.

I would have said 'successful seasons' instead of 'premiership seasons' but that would be all of the past seasons with the same sort of centre.

Reply #1862 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

and NG also signed with Cooper

Reply #1863 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Is this NBL confirmed?

Reply #1870 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Yes, it is confirmed, lead article on nbl.com.au

Reply #1873 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The NBL website states this, so I take it that it is confirmed.

Reply #1874 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

I really like this signing. The 6ers dont need an allstar at the C, they need someone big enough to fill the lanes up a bit and shotblocking is a plus. We won titles with just Rees at the C. Now we have Rees and a servicable backup, regardless of whether Cooper or Rees is starting. Jacob and Dusty are both good rebounders, with some height and size in the middle and i think this team will be a good rebounding team, which is essential for the style of basketball Phil coaches.

Losing Cat can be covered as Jacob is ready to start at SF, and many bemoaned CT last season. We aren't losing much having Brett as PG in terms of passing, but we have now got alot more scoring in our backcourt.

Barring major injury i think the 6ers will make top 4 this season.

Reply #1875 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

we still need one more guard . . .

Can J-Will get in shape in time to have a crack at this spot?

Should we look interstate?

Or perhaps pluck someone young from the local ABA?

Reply #1878 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

While there were certainly other guys out there I am sure that Cooper will be a valuable pick-up for the 36ers.

The most important thing is that we now have someone to share minutes with Rees at the Centre position meaning we won't have to have huge periods of the game where Holmes or Rychart are being played out of position.

Dave Cooper's stats v. 36ers last season:

Game 1: 13 points and 8 rebounds in 22 minutes

Game 2: 1 point and 6 rebounds in 16 minutes (took no shots from the field but 1/4 fts)

Game 3: 4 points and 1 rebound in 5 minutes.

Nothing too special there but he didn't get a big chance from the looks of things.

It appears that Cooper has done very well in the NZNBL where he has played the last 2 seasons. He got MVP of the entire league in 2003 which is a decent accomplishment given there are some quality NBL players in that league.

He has followed that up with another decent season where he has led the league in rebounds at around 12 per game and was second in blocks at around 2.

If he can rebound and defend well for the 36ers in a shared role with Rees then we will be looking pretty good.

We were never looking for scoring from the C position. Just defence. I guess time will tell whether Rees and Cooper can hold their own or whether they will get destroyed by the opposing centres.

Reply #1879 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The NBL article inaccurately states that Cooper had 431 rebounds and 98 blocks last season. These are his career NBL totals. He actually had 143 rebounds last season (4.3 RPG) and 34 blocks (1 BPG).

In the players secton of the Sixers site, Nathan Hawkes is included, and Rees and Farley both link to Nathan Hawkes pages. Hawkes crazy over there!

Reply #1884 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:43 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754