Tinny
Years ago

U23 League Mavs Women forfeits

Are Mavs women going to play games this season in U23's, as they have forfieted the first 2 games?

Or are they just taking the forfiets as BSA said everyone needs to enter to have an ABA team?

Topic #24102 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

the rules don't apply to two or three clubs, rumour is you don't need a clearance to play for mavs and sturt

Reply #293286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually you don't need a clearance to play for West but only if you're from western magic

Reply #293289 | Report this post

Tinny  
Years ago

Ummm, doesn't really answer my question.

Reply #293290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they actually played this week

Reply #293294 | Report this post

Tinny  
Years ago

But sportingpulse says they forfieted again?

Reply #293301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they played an underage player is what I heard

Reply #293302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By underage I guess you are saying they played someone 15 or younger as for youth league you must be 16 at time of playing first game and under 23 at end of calendar year.

The By-Laws also say you must nominate and FIELD a team if you have a senior Div 1 team. I guess Mavs are not complying with this regulation by not fielding a team.

I was on the wrong end of a direction by BSA on the eligibility of a person to compete in the finals due to a wrongly written By-Law. While reading the current new By-Laws it states that for the summer season:
" Divisions that do have promotion/relegation shall play 15 minor round games in four 5 round phases with no major round finals."

I am not sure what that means and if that is wrong what else is wrong (again!!)

Reply #293327 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

i agree - i do like the recent we can change by laws as a sign of goof faith to west and magic - yet every other time by laws camnt be changed
so is their no good faith between bsa and other - reviewing finals criteria or when games postponed and impact on finals standing
i am confused

Reply #293342 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Hang on a minute.....

We are talking "Youth League". We want our up and coming, promising players to play, what is it called again..."basketball"

If a player is 15 (born 1994 or 1995) and presumably playing U18 Div 1 Girls, and the team is short and require a fill in, then why would you not permit a player to temporarily pay up for a game. After all, it is just the next age group up.

To me, this is crazy if this is why that team forfeited.

Reply #293345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If BSA is going to be pedantic about By-Laws then they need to be consistent about all By-Laws. It is so obvious that you must be 16 at the time of playing the first game in Youth League.

If you don't like the rule get it changed!

Reply #293349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well if they have forfieted because of a 15 year old playing, BSA may want to have a look at a few players playing in the mens competition, noticed at least 3 first year under 18's running around on tuesday night

Reply #293351 | Report this post

Charon 14  
Years ago

The rule is counter productive. If Youth League is supposed to be a development league then 15 year old's who are potential ABL players should be able to play. The by-laws say that exemptions can be granted if they have been to an Australian junior camp. There are 2 boys that I know of who have been granted exemptions on this basis. I assume the 3rd player is a girl in the same boat?

Reply #293353 | Report this post

Tinny  
Years ago

And why haven't BSA got the Ladders up if they are so 'pedantic'?

Would rather they spend their time doing the ladders rather than looking up players ages when its not like these playuers are going to be make or break for wins.

Reply #293358 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

r u certain they were first years and what stadium

Reply #293361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they were at the dome, and i am absolutely positive
one plays for sturt, the other the tigers

Reply #293368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The by-laws say that exemptions can be granted if they have been to an Australian junior camp"

The two players mentioned in the post above are covered by this by-law then.

Reply #293369 | Report this post

Charon 14  
Years ago

The 2 players mentioned have been to Australian junior camps so I assume that exemptions have been granted. If they hadn't the eagle eyes at BSA would have picked it up the next morning and 20-0 forfeits would have been awarded. Regardless, the rule should still be changed so that all 15 year olds can play Youth League.

Reply #293372 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:52 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754