Bill
Years ago

Aussie born player at Duke

Could anyone tell me the name of the Australian born basketballer playing at Duke this year who will be a NBA lottery pick in 2011?

Topic #24107 | Report this topic

Tinny  
Years ago

Kyle Irving,

His dad played at Bulleen.

Reply #293354 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

He is a real talent too. Shame he will never play for Australia...

Reply #293362 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

LC, has he already stated that he won't play for us? or has he represented the US at some stage?

I know nothing about the kid, but there was a write up in SLAM a few months back that rated him as one of the top college prospects this year. Sounds like an exciting talent.

Reply #293363 | Report this post

Billy  
Years ago

Yeah, on of the top rated basketball players coming out of High school, but his name is Kyrie Irving not kyle

Reply #293370 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I read an article somewhere quite some time ago that asked the question of where his allegiance would lie given the choice of Australia or USA. The answer was USA...

In June 2010, Irving was a part of the gold medal winning team at the FIBA Americas U18 Championship...so he is now committed to team USA.

Reply #293383 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

He only lived in Australia until he was 18 months old. As if he would play for Australia.

Reply #293387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those 18 months were fundamental in his basketball development, he should play for us!

Reply #293390 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

why bother when there are more talented players out there with true allegiance to Australia.

its the heart that tells to you where to play for. the rest are part of the game.

Reply #293395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm with Japorm, He might be a citizen of America but has more of a chance to make an impact as a player for Australia than the US

Reply #293711 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

don't know how old he was at the U18's but the FIBA rule states:

H.2.3.4 A player who has played in a main official competition of FIBA before reaching his
seventeenth (17) birthday may play for a national team of another country if both national
member federations agree; in the absence of an agreement the Secretary General decides.

Reply #293775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this is a joke, Aussies trying to claim American ball player who never even hit the hardwood in Aus

Reply #297587 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:20 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754