shano
Years ago

Sixers Big Man Troubles

From what I heard about last night we struggled to contain Cairns' big men, from what I have read on the forum this is going to be an ongoing theme. Maybe we can cover it at home with hustle/emotion and fast "small ball" but on the road and playoff bball will be another matter. Anyone else concerned about this? Our only true 5 guy is DJ wh is talented but raw and seemingly doesnt really have full trust of Marty.

I think guys like Knight and Khazzouh and the tigers giants may feast on us. Hope not. Go SIxers

Topic #24126 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

From what I saw on live stats , first half - it was Johnson in for Ballinger and Ballinger in for Johnson.
In the end - after the game, the live stats came up and Ballinger played 25mins and Johnson 17mins.
We may have some troubles - not sure , without seeing the game.
( Anyways Winder was vexed by fouls in 2 games, DeVries - a class act. Carter can shoot but shot poorly - 2games.)

Reply #293615 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

^^ agreed.

We are only 2 games in so will have to give it a few more games before we have a true reflection.

You have to put your faith in the coaches but trying to replicate Perth of last year by going smallish (Perth still had a a big front court IMO) does not make sense.

If DJ and Harris need a season under their belts we should have gone after one of the Tigers bigs, kept Burston or went harder after big Luke. We are overloaded at the 2-3 spot for 40 min games.

With Herbet back next season and having signed Creek on a 2 year deal we likely will still be overloaded next year.

Reply #293616 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

See other 165464 threads about it.

Personally I think everyone's overreacting but let's wait and see.

Reply #293623 | Report this post

shano  
Years ago

I couldnt find the other 165464 so I started a new one, thought tha was ok..sorry my bad.

Reply #293624 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

1-1 for a team expected to finished bottom 3 and it's the end of the world. Perth (with all of Knight in the front court) are currently beating the giant Tigers on the road at the end of a brutal road trip. Give Adelaide more than one loss before starting 'big man troubles' threads, surely?

Reply #293625 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Sorry shano, not meaning to take a shot at you, just getting tired of this discussion.

Reply #293626 | Report this post

shano  
Years ago

well, yeah i could have named it more wisely but was just after ppls thoughts considering i cant get to games. sorry.

Reply #293627 | Report this post

shano  
Years ago

its all good, havent been on here much lately so am a bit out of the loop. was just going by the facebook summary from last night.

Reply #293628 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Yeah I was surprised when the facebook page posted that. Way to feed the critics!

Statistically it seemed like Balls/Holmes/Dowdell broke even with Loughton/Crosswhite/Dusty. We certainly weren't beasted on the boards.

Reply #293629 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Don't think it's as big an issue as people are making it out to be.
We lost the rebound count by 3 against Cairns, we won the rebound count against Perth by 5.
As far as Knight feasting on us, we've already played him and he struggled to even get into the game. He got the 8 rebounds, but was largely a non-factor.
It would be better to get some better players with height, but they just aren't available. Noone in our 10 except maybe Ng (doesn't give us anything we don't already have an abundance of) is worth getting rid of either.
I think our current set-up is working well. There's a real emphasis on ball movement, defence, effort and working for each other.
DeVries is a surprisingly good rebounder, Ballinger has been getting his fair share, Holmes was a beast against Perth, Dowdell is doing his bit. The only issue at the moment is with the 1 player we are expecting to be taking rebounds. Johnson has only had 3 rebounds combined. Pretty well proves that it's not always height that gets you the rebounds. Ballinger has had 7 blocks in the 2 games aswell.

Reply #293632 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

you guys should ask to borrow one of melbournes big guys if youre that concerned. Hawks beat crocs with larry davidson and oscar forman the only bigs

Reply #293706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sign Wade Helliwell when he gets the chop from the Tigers.

Reply #293707 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, really?

pwned, they did have Behrendorff as well and he was alright (six and two, with two blocks in 11 mins). But I think your point stands - sometimes these quicker, hustling teams will get the best of tall frontcourts, sometimes they won't.

Reply #293721 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Get the shots in and you dont have to worry about the offensive rebounds.

Reply #293728 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Ushiro so want us to do unachievable and shoot at 100 % and dont we want any defensive rebounds or opponent going to shoot at 100 % as well.
Concern to many supporters before team selection finished and nothing at this very early stage to say it is not going to be a area we might struggle in.
However my question rather than concern is in how hard and quickly coach signed up Johnson when many top centres still available and played him in trial games so limited and even in first 2 games getting well less than half game court time which is not want from no 1 centre .
Trust Clarks judgement in getting Johnson and know still young but certainly raises a query at this early stage why not getting more court time showed at Tigers could handle it

Reply #293732 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I posted in another thread that the only significant difference in the stats from the Cairns game was the free throw count. Rebounding doesn't appear to be too much of an issue. I would like to hear from someone who saw the game, but I suspect the Sixers might have tried to play as aggressively on D as they did against Perth at home, but the refs called a tighter game and burned them.

Reply #293739 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

its not so much the rebounding count but the ability to defend big guys. when loughton and crosswhite are the two top scorers, no one could obviously stop them.

Reply #293757 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I was at this game and the 36ers played with much intensity all the way through. They were pretty evenly matched to Cairns and it could have been anyone's games had there not been such a huge imbalance in free throws. This is where the total responsibility for loss of the game goes, Cairns had 25 to Adelaide's 11. This difference pretty well mirrors the difference in score. Having said that, there is enormous room for improvement in shooting accuracy. Lack of size so far is not a factor in this loss.

Reply #294237 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thanks for the first-hand account!

Reply #294243 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

BTM - the comment about getting the shots in was a bit tongue in cheek but realistic. Obviously no team will shoot at 100% but achieving a higher shooting % than your opposition will generally win you games. Turnovers and foul shots especially will debunk this theory as indicated above by EC.

Was it a mistake to sign Johnson instead of xyz, possibly, but it depends on who else was prepared to come to Adelaide, what their player point value was, what their contract $$ were, etc. The only team that a supporter can pick is a Fantasy Team as players and agents have no say in selection.

It will be interesting to review this topic around the mid point and the end of the season to see how the 36ers have been playing and what their win-loss record stands at. Then the theories about selection will be proven as fact or fiction.

Reply #294248 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:18 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754