curtley
Years ago

AI signs two year deal in Turkey

Surprisingly he has signed a two-year deal to play in a league not synonymous with the greatest European ball.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5725257

It begs the question: If NBL teams could sign one import outside of the salary cap on the proviso they only signed one import, would a player like Iverson eventually end up here?

Topic #24150 | Report this topic

sircreate  
Years ago

Yeah I was reading something earlier about him signing there.

Interestingly enough, thats AJ Ogilvy's team as well

Reply #293930 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

I love the idea of bringing a big name to Australia, have been saying its what the league needs for free exposure. It worked with the A league signing Robbie Fowler, Im sure fans in Oz would flock to see Iverson even at this age.

Reply #293932 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

i agree vanexel - would be great for the league and put bums on seats.

For an nbl club to fund this they would need a very generous owner or a third party sponsor willing to fund part or all of the salary.

Otherwise you may have a situation like Hodge's.

Reply #293934 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

All well and good, but Fowler was beyond his playing years when he came to the A-League. Most high-profile leagues won't take on a player beyond 31-32 in Soccer unless their production maintains.

If you want your big name, don't expect them to be under 30 and don't expect them to dominate in the league.

Reply #293936 | Report this post

AI would have as much chance of getting the non basketball fan to come to a game as Robbie Fowler had of getting me to go to the football. Yes I know who he is but so F...... what. Anyway Van Excel what did Fowler actually DO that worked for the A league.

Reply #293938 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Iverson (or similar) could go some distance to winning over NBA fans who don't rate the NBL (think it's boring, don't want to watch an inferior product, etc). Whether there are enough of them to make it worthwhile, who'd know. Still, even 1,000 extra people to 15ish games at $20 a ticket isn't going to buy in someone like Iverson.

Reply #293944 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Just out of interest, does anyone think he will actually last the 2 years? He has struggled to stay on a team for a season of late. Call me a skeptic but I doubt he sees out the season on this team.

Reply #293968 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I would be very surprised if he lasted the two years.

Reply #293974 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

oh snap, turkey just got teh aids

Reply #294061 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

AI is now expected to land in Instanbul, Turkey on Monday.

Reply #294066 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

I dont really follow soccer so I dont know how Fowler actually played. I saw a stat saying that road games with Fowler playing averages about 1000 to 2000 extra fans than regular games.

A generous owner would be needed, and Id much rather see a 30 something Iverson than some of the no-name imports were bringing into the league. Just my opinion.

Reply #294190 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

NBA.com: http://www.nba.com/2010/news/10/29/allen-iverson.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

From the article:

Iverson is expected to officially sign with the club this weekend and will begin his overseas career the week of Nov. 8. His management team put out a release Thursday night.

Iverson and Besiktas officials will hold a press conference Friday in New York.

"He's ecstatic," Iverson's manager, Gary Moore, said by phone. "He's very excited, very happy the people in Turkey want him, the people in Turkey appreciate what he brings to the game, and he can't wait to get over there."

Reply #294281 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:12 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754