Jacob
Years ago

First impressions NBL - surprise teams and players?

I know it's early days , but we've seen a few games in both , what's everyones first Impressions of the NBL !

Any surprises ? Any noticeable teams/ players ?

Topic #24190 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Starting to wonder if Gordie McLeod has super powers.

Martin at the Cats, Cooper at the Kings, Helliwell's hair, that Corletto can be made to look like a franchise player by the rest of his team, Dowdell in Adelaide is beating expectations.

Reply #294620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

gordie mcleod is the best coach in the league...nice to see oscar forman bounce back after the season he had last year...Khazzouh is far and away the best big in the league...I think luke nevill is overrated...the breakers young guys, Abercrombie, Webster and Pledger are rewarding the breakers for the faith they have shown in them, they're all playing great...Its early but I think its going to be a perth VS. NZ final

Reply #294627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daniel Dillon has been a real find for cairns..
biggest disappointment has been the melb tigers

Reply #294642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GC Blaze, they can win games and from 20+ behind with an injury ravaged roster and no imports

Reply #294664 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Bit early on a lot of areas but overall a lot of good rosters out there which going to make it hard for us.
Gordie McLeod always respected him but after Sunday rate him as Aust best coach ahead of " the thing" and all. We all expected Marty to walk in and match it with these experienced coaches but Gordie blitzed him on Sunday .
Ervin looked the point guard we would all love just so quick with great vision and shot.
Khazzouh looking forward to seeing live again as always had the ability.
Expect Tigers to struggle and come home flying too many good players.
If Breakers unbeaten without Penney how good will they be with him.
Dowdell and others have shown that lot of good young Australian that take awhile to blossom.
Look positive to Sat. but realize top 2 finish not going to happen for us. If can get 1 import to shine and feed Ballinger properly might get somewhere.

Reply #294680 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

im wondering why we didnt retain bursten?? rotating with johnson would allow balls to do what he does, be one of the best shooters in the league. there were times last year watching balls that i couldnt believe what i was seeing. now he has to play centre? or get another centre if bursten had to leave. surely we could still get another into the sal/ points cap? i like alot of what clarke has done with the team though.

i loved watching goulding play in the high stakes and have seen the same aggression this season. how old is he? looks like a superstar of the future to me, how many young players have his confidence??

would like to know who people think will be the guys that really step up from being good players to the stars this season??

Reply #294740 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

For me abercrombie , now with Penney back will be even better ! , so watch for him ,.

I think Jesse wagstaff is getting there as well , has a great game last round ,

Goulding I do not rate at all , sure he is aggression and passion but I think his skills are still lacking , but I hope that comes through for him .

Brad hill is a prospect .

I think Luke schencher if played right . Has a lot to give ! Same to with Oscar Forman .

Loughton also a jet for the league . Sane to with damo Martin, two fringe boomers players .

But overall I really really like abercrombie !!!

Reply #294766 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Rhys Carter has apparently evolved too fast for some.
A starting NBL PG.
New Zealand conquers the Australian National Basketball League.

Reply #294769 | Report this post

Jr_Sr  
Years ago

If the Breakers don't win the Title - or at least loose the GF series due to injuries/controversy/bad reffin/act of god/ other team shoot 70% for the series, you get the idea - then their coach should be sacked.

Damo Martin will become the starting guard the boomers need.

The NBL needs to put out an SOS out to Dennis Cometti to call some games for ONE. Maher is pretty solid with his special comments, Gaze is almost as good and Carfino is good at hosting and some comments - but he can't "call" a game for Sh*t though. How awesome would it be to have Dennis Cometti calling some games, maybe to keep his vocal chords nimble for the footy? Didn't he call the 2000 olympic basketball for Ch7?

If i remember he was a big fan of the game not like some other idiot football types that think anything other than footy is sh*t/a girls game - I'm looking at you David Parkin/Robert Walls.

Reply #294798 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:09 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754