Tyrell
Years ago

Tricks, Cheats, Tips

Hi All,

This is a topic for ballers to put in their cheats, tips and tricks that seem to work. Refs also welcome to scrutinise and break them down.

For example, when in defense and is player is driving in for a lay-up a soft touch by the defender to the ribs, hip can put the player off.

By no means am I inciting bad play but just little things like that.

Topic #24194 | Report this topic

Beantown  
Years ago

If you're playing social, reach-in from behind EVERY TIME. Don't even bother going for the ball, just a bump of the ball-handling elbow will do! ;-)

Reply #294660 | Report this post

illicit  
Years ago

lol beantown thats what stopped me wantin to play social bball, an prolly caused me to get a few techs aswell lol, they never call it!!!

Reply #294665 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

As a player is shooting swipe upwards on their elbow. Not a lot of pressure needed but their arms locks quicker forcing the ball longer on their shot. Very hard to detect by the referee

Reply #294670 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

illicit, as a small guard, I feel your pain. I've gradually gotten used to it, but it makes life tough for the little guy. I usually have to be MORE careful with the ball (which I can do 8 times out of 10) after I've beaten my man than before!

Reply #294673 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

in social ball refs will call the foul almost anytime you jump at a player who is driving , even if you go straight up. however, and this is what stuffed me up, if you just step across into their path or straight into them during their steps will almost never get called (unless its obvious, just impede their ability to jump, usually come in from the side). watch most players and they jump really early to avoid this. in social its 99.9% zone defence, beat the 2 guys out by the key and you are home free to leap at the centre. i could beat them everytime but during my drive to the basket before i jump they would just run straight into me, never plant their feet. never jump straight up. for a slasher type player who jumps like a fat lady it was incredibly irritating lol. will happen a dozen times every game, get called once.

a few seasons i got stuck at centre, which is far from ideal for a 6 footer. i let players run at me and jump, stood my ground. never tried to fall back just stood solid. they missed almost everytime lol, i think they always expected contact, but also i was able to just get a couple of fingers to the ball on the way up because i didnt have to worry about timing the jump and not fouling them. much easier to target the ball when your not moving.

basically you dont always have to jump at the driving player ( at least not at the easier social levels). more shots are stopped by players stripping the ball as the shooter brings it up then shot blocks.blocks just look cooler.

Reply #294737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

playing at social level you can get away with just about anything off the ball. when i play i will always box out the opposing teams best rebounder, by using my hands arms and elbows. And of course in the post, or as the ball carrier, offensive player hooking is never called - and often never called at a district level either.

Reply #294759 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:32 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754