BALLER#3
Years ago

Overtime First Thoughts?

First thoughts on the new Overtime program! I liked it but at the same time i think it needs some different segments, guests etc. to liven it up a little. Most of the time they were just going over highlights and things. They should make it similar to the footy show in some ways!

Topic #24209 | Report this topic

rebounder  
Years ago

It was flat, static and out of date... they were talking about how they think James Maye will stay at the Blaze, it was in the paper today that he had been cut. He's prob already back in the US.

They need segments and more guests. Awesome idea, rubbish execution

Reply #294892 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

I am just so amazed that a basketball show is on fta prime time. Hopefully the innovations will evolve

Reply #294895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

was ok at best imo, definately needs work

Reply #294897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

needs 2 presenters who people know to go with carfino, not connor henry and JVG

Reply #294898 | Report this post

illicit  
Years ago

it was a lil bland, but it seemed a more serious look at the league, i agree it needs more flash to make it stand out, non hardcore NBL fans wouldnt watch it. A few times they seemed to be talking about the same thing over an over again.

But still i have no real complaints ONE HD have covered the NBL really well, an any show is better than no show

Reply #294900 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

needs to more segments to learn more about players, maybe a street talk sort of thing??

Reply #294902 | Report this post

The TRuth  
Years ago

Someone needs to tell carfino to do some background research on his info.

"John wall from north Carolina"

Come on steve are you serious here?! We are know you are a self absorbed individual but that's just plain stupid! The kid went to KENTUCKY!

Why does JVG keep getting his mug on shows like this? He's not exactly a highly respected basketball mind...and they half American accent is just annoying. Get some real basketball personalities on the show. Cal Bruton, Andrew Gaze, Luc Longley, Lanard Copeland. These guys have been around & played in our league & have a knowledge of the NBA as well. Do away with the hot head and the puppet!

Reply #294904 | Report this post

SDU  
Years ago

John wall's home town is Raleigh North Carolina

He played ball at Kentucky buy is from NC

Reply #294907 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aimd at the serious follower (other than the Maye riposte).- rather than entertainment television.

Reply #294910 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aimed . - (should read) ..
Aimed at us really ..- rather than educational television..

Reply #294911 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I only caught about 3-4 minutes of it and then the Ervin interview started and I switched back to RDR (I hate sports interviews). Was it live or recorded a few days back? If live and aimed at 'serious followers', they really need current info or will get beaten to the punch by online news items.

Did they replay a lot of highlights from each game? If they don't do 'get to know x' interviews/features, at least pick a handful of players and focus on their scoring plays for the week's games. Build up awareness of the players in the league even if most of the time it's just re-showing plays to enthusiasts.

Reply #294913 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Truth, might be that for budget reasons they pick guys in Sydney? Longley is probably still in WA and the other two are probably in Melbourne?

Reply #294914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a little stale. Needs a bit of pep to go with the discussions.
NBA action has been a successful show for so long now because they give you an insight into what is happeining in the league behind the scenes also. Surely onehd could send out some gofer to film a couple of teams at training and in the community to see what goes into putting a team on the court. Have a featured player or team each week and get their story. I like the idea of the guests and any fta show on basketball can only help. Also could they do a top 10 plays of the week and include nbl and nba plays in there. fav part of nba action is plays of the week.
Nonetheless enjoying all the hoops on tv atm keep it coming.

Reply #294915 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

From memory they showed some highlights from some of the games (that OneHD covered.)
Longley doesn't do media anymore (tried to get him on radio for most famous sports interviews)
Carfino os good. Not sure about JVG and Conner.

Reply #294916 | Report this post

ClownDog  
Years ago

D'oh! Missed it on OneHD and the repeat later on Ten. But I see it is also repeated on OneHD today at 1:30 and tomorrow at 9:30 before the NBA game.

Reply #294917 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Great to have a bball show on FTA that talks about NBA & NBL. Needs a little work, but will get better with time. Thnkyou ONE.

Reply #294919 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

A little bit of Bruton (besides Erwin)
NZ to take it out. LA to take it out.
3point line - Nothing that we haven't read/posted on here.

Reply #294920 | Report this post

lickity split  
Years ago

Did anyone else think the akward silence between everone was hilarious when Steve asked Gary Ervin about getting some of the 'young ladies' in Wollongong to stay with him?? haha

Reply #294927 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

i think i got an American accent from watching...

Reply #294929 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Needed some comedy. Maybe drag in a comedian thats slightly interested in Basketball. What are Hamish and Andy up to.

Reply #294937 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Or maybe some top ten plays. This might be hard as they only cover 2-3 games. Still whoever said they need some segments is right

Reply #294938 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

We can all be critics but goon on ya 1 and I thought all on there knew their basketball and had opinions .
Yes could break it up more with more fun type stuff but good start.

Reply #294940 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A little bird tells me it was filmed that afternoon around 1-2pm.

Reply #294971 | Report this post

Outsider  
Years ago

I would also like to see them get into the community a bit, cover some local games and upcoming young players.

Also the show looks very average compared to american shows, they need to ditch the two old guys, get some ex and current players on there, make it exciting and worth watching

Reply #294976 | Report this post

Great to see a show about b/ball on FTA. Dissapointing though that paid commentators do not keep up to date if it was filmed that arvo, because the Maye situation was know by then. Some suggestions would be. Get rid of JVG. Who knows who he is or cares what he has to say. It's all just about how he can earn some coin and always has been. Get Bruce Palmer,Bob Turner (he is in Sydney)athough it would probably be good to get an Aussie born player or ex player on there as well. Trying to think of who they could use that would be in Sydney. Sav would be OK. Funny guy. Simon Kerle if they wanted to fly someone in.
Also get a viewer questions type segment, with some topical issues covered.

Reply #294991 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I saw a similar part of the show to Isaac, and did find it rather stilted. Also, Ervin should never be allowed to speak. Period.

But still just love seeing basketball on FTA, so lets hope they pick it up as they go along.

Reply #294992 | Report this post

curtleyAmbrose  
Years ago

Who would be good to do a street Talk type segment and do silly talk with the fans, maybe a different basketball stadium each week or something.

Reply #294993 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yes. I thought it was a bit dry.
We had this fire going ten years ago and now we've got it burning again.
It's gonna be in the lounge room every week and the dream's coming true.
Let's go . Do it for the people.

Reply #294994 | Report this post

SDU  
Years ago

Does anyone remember Paul kuiper (spelling??) who used to do an nbl street talk section years and years ago?

Reply #295007 | Report this post

SDU  
Years ago

As for one to host a current day version - Kevin Brooks?

Reply #295008 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

yep,it had the old moth ball smell about it.

i fell asleep before it finished.....i mean,i really fell asleep.

the whole one hd thing.......i like carfino but.....

i have said before,i think we need to move away from the american commentator thing....right away, very quickly!!!

Reply #295100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think a John Rillie on the streets segment would be good and also Maybe a get to know players segment asking them questions.

Reply #295602 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:33 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754