OHS
Years ago

Murrays Antics

Am I being overly cautious in being concerned about Murray climbing onto / over the back board last game -I am not sure in the message that sends to impresionable kids -
I think murray adds to the atmosphere and his antics are often spontaneous but do worry about ramifications of such a stunt and the message sent to kids -
hanging on basketball rings has long been a problem with many terrible injuries and worst -
so maybe Murray need to rethink this stunt or am I just overly cautious

Topic #24244 | Report this topic

Skudded  
Years ago

Like most of the rest of the world your being over cautious. If a kid can climb stuff they will climb it. Dont wrap your kids in cotton wool or you'll watch them spend the rest of their lives talking to a shrink.

Reply #295380 | Report this post

OHS  
Years ago

I got no problem with kids climbing stuff - important to develop their fine and gross motor skills balance coordinaton but the public domain in which the antic took much is perhaps more the concern.
Talking to a shrink or confined to a wheel chair - wrapping kids in cotton wool - thats not the point.

Reply #295381 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It was entertaining but he was 'advised' not to do it by the Dome staff.

Then again, doing backflips and bouncing off that giant basketball would be dangerous for kids. And so would trying to do the splits or taking a charge from Blagoj Janev.

Not to mention eating a Dome hot dog...

Reply #295382 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

You are definately being over cautious.

Reply #295383 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

OHS,
Do you work for the government by any chance?

Reply #295384 | Report this post

What's happening at the Dome. Lurid dance routines, children being encouraged to partake in at risk behaviour. If only those independents took the Libs side I'm sure Tony Abbott would have clamped down on this sort of stuff. UnChristian & unAustralian I say.
Keep up the good work OHS, sre63,Fan01. I've just got off the phone to both Workcover and Fred Nile and they are seeking orders in the Federal Court to remove all Children from S.A until these vile acts desist. Shame,Shame,Shame.

Reply #295385 | Report this post

A further warning. If you really want to protect your children from something that will haunt them for the rest of their lives, make sure they stay away when the Crocs come to town. If not they risk being exsposed to Nathan Crosswell's free throw shooting.

Reply #295387 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

BUSTED for a Shane Heal joke snakepi! Other than that good calls.

Reply #295388 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Imagine if a kid comes dressed as a magpie!

Reply #295389 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"Won't somebody think of the CHILDREN!"

Reply #295391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow dont let your kids watch a Milwauke Bucks game then. Last season the bucks mascot backflipped off a 15ft high ladder and dunked the ball. Imagine what the kids would try to achieve watching that sort of tripe.
Lets stop trying to be so coorect all the time and live a little people.

Reply #295395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has any thought what would have happen if he had broken the ring or pulled out cabling that connects the timers to the 24 second shot clock which is on the back boards etc
And as a viewer I was pissed off because while Haley Teal was singing he was trying to make it about him.
Who ever is doing it is a complete moron

Reply #295397 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

He is a very naughty magpie.

Reply #295398 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

We needed something to look at when Hayley on rather than watch her trying to walk in those shoes and be even too scared to move when singing sorry good try SOS but she was awful .
Good on ya Murray great to be entertain like the old days

Reply #295404 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

definitely over cautious. As a parent if your concerned you could talk to your child and let them know the differences between the gutter mounted basketball ring at home compared to the rings at the dome.

if anything kids would walk away from that game thinking, if i could get two girls and some really elastic rubber i can fling stuff at people too!

Murray really is one of the best mascots ive seen at the dome and in the league! lets not slap restrictions on him otherwise we will be stuck with the murray just running around giving hi 5's. that gets old.

Reply #295405 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Bring back Shirty, the the slightly aggressive bear.

Reply #295406 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hayley sang really well. bretts, I think I got over the awkward shoes once she got to the centre circle and actually started singing. "Awful" is a massive stretch. Peter Goers is "awful". My wife can sing and said a few times that Hayley was great.

Just run junior games at half-time so no one will get upset. Try to do anything else and someone will find something to be offended about.

Reply #295412 | Report this post

Big_Marty  
Years ago

Ignore the conservatives Isaac.

There are some situations (like the "dual MC's") that don't work whatsoever.

Telling a Cheerleader to "not" perform certain routines because of potential "suggestive" overtones essentially results in getting rid of the dance team.

Telling a mascot not to do highly entertaining, yet somewhat dangerous stunts, would essentially result in replacing the mascot with a manakin that moves back and forth on a pully.

Reply #295414 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

OHS,
At the next home game perhaps the club can also lower a "CONE OF SILENCE" over your seats so that your kids don't hear any of the trash/profanity from either the players or supporters?

Perhaps in lieu of dancing at time outs, the Sixers dancers can use that time to circulate through the crowd with swear jars?

Reply #295416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

apart from telling kids do not try this at home i had visions of game delay whilst another backboard and ring was brought in, no shot clock for second half cause the magpie chose to stand where he really shouldn't have been.

Reply #295417 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just a matter of time before the slingshot catches someone in the face and they have to do away with that.

I'm all for feedback (been giving mine to the club for years), but I do wonder if some people get anything positive out of attending a game.

Edit: Yes, loss of the backboard/ring was a very real risk and is one reason why this antic will have been a once-only thing.

Reply #295420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wow dont let your kids watch a Milwauke Bucks game then. Last season the bucks mascot backflipped off a 15ft high ladder and dunked the ball. Imagine what the kids would try to achieve watching that sort of tripe.
"

Yes, and look what happened to Bogut.

Reply #295434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Yes, and look what happened to Bogut."

Maybe Bogut would have been better backflipping off a ladder.
Seriously slow news day why is this getting any air time.

Reply #295444 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Hayley Teal is hot!
Those shoes were hot and she has toned legs.
Awesome chick

Reply #295446 | Report this post

tom45tom45tom  
Years ago

Woah, woah, woah.

Are you guys saying that wasn't even a real magpie?

Reply #295457 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Yeah fine Isaac and Champ maybe Hayley was ok just felt she seem to stilted but certainly was not in any way critical of SOS getting her as good on them for doing something at half time etc.
Basically was just defending Murrays antics were good and adding something this year and last .
Skip song choice been excellent adding new to the old favourites that will never die.

Reply #295458 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Youre kidding arent you Isaac? This stunt is done the world over, and cheerleaders were climbing over the ring and backboard throughout the world champs.

Reply #295464 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

FFS people.. you may as well lock your kids in the basement.. they'll see worse things walking down the street.

What if they want to pretend to be superman and jump off a building.. what if they pretend to be a car and run around in the traffic.. what if they pretend to be Shane Heal and devote their life to talking complete bollocks? So many far worse options..... amazing.

Reply #295471 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

Murrays antics are laughable at times but its all about fun. There is nothing seriously dangerous that goes on. Lets remember, his suit is somewhat padded and as for the head, he'd be alright in a major flip flop fall.

Id be more concerned with my kid jumping onto a large ball and flipping of on his head. Climbing a backboard doesnt even come into dangerous, its just a bit stupid but laughable at the same time.

One thing he hasnt done is run above the crowd on the ballastrade walkovers. If that happened, i dont think id be too impressed unless he was harnessed in.

Reply #295475 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

I was at a game at Phoenix last year when the Gorilla smashed his face against the ring as part of his trampoline work, and he missed the last quarter because he was in an Ambulance on the way to the hospital.

All the best mascots are a little crazy. Don't all kids know that?

Reply #295480 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

paul, crack down by the Dome I think.

Reply #295481 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Have you seen NZ's dancers and mascot? As you were Murray

Reply #295482 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

If Rob Brown never broke any rings then Murray sure as hell isn't.

Reply #295497 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

first off its up to a parent to teach their kids Whats right or wrong, Not a mascot, when my sons older i will tell him jumping from high objects is wrong and if he doesn't listen i will throw from a high object so he will never do it again...

SRT: "if anything kids would walk away from that game thinking, if i could get two girls and some really elastic rubber i can fling stuff at people too!"
I left the game thinking about grabbing two girls and a rubber, but i think we're talking something different here...

BTW Hayley was HOT! (too bad she bats for the wrong team)

Anyway i gotta go, child services is here!

Reply #295501 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Murray should make an advert over this.

"I am not a role model".

Reply #295503 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

cracks me up every time!

Reply #295507 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

im actually losing it here at work (laughing), i cant believe how gold this thread is. as soon as we win a game there is no talk about the team so we start discussing Murray's antics. if we lost there would be no time for this thread and some people on here would be straight onto the sack the bad performer thread.

Tru Blue i have to concur with your thoughts, but what i wrote was coming from a childs view.......well i guess depending how old the child was he may too be thinking along the lines of what we were.

I rate Murray highly, and similar to what X said, if the players are slamming on this thing and it aint falling, i dont see how Murray is going to bring the house down. im really surprised at Murrays athleticism in a suit that doesnt seem that comfortable when performing such tricks.

DB5, they should put that on Murray's singlet at the back, it would look good if it said "i am not a role model" and it almost works as a disclaimer.

Reply #295512 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

dont doubt murray energy and value - but concern about appropriate displays in public forum - more power to murray but maybe just use the dont do this at home - or the actions of murray arent endorsed by management or murray is liable for all class action suits

Reply #295526 | Report this post

Murray Fan!  
Years ago

I think it was great! Murray was in great form. I think Hayley was ok...but the shoes were terrible and she looked really awkward! At least he is entertaining. If the cheerleaders can jump around in tiny dresses with their titties hanging out why can't Murray Play on the backboard! At least he isn't offensive. Lighten up kids, it's all in good fun.

Reply #295530 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

lol, i was watching him and thinking how gross it was gonna be when he fell and broke something but couldnt look away! then i thought, oh crap, if he dies will they postpone the game! definate inconvenience!

oh i was wondering who that girl was. just singing without music is kinda tame. bball is all about energy and excitement, that could have put me to sleep. get a 'house band' to perform a song or 2 occasionally, something hard rock, punk or hardcore to get people pumped lol. how awesome would a rage against the machine song live at the break be to get people excited. ( although murray would probably try to stagedive from one of the corporate boxes lol).

Reply #295647 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

who is murray for those not at the game?

Reply #295669 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The mascot. A guy in a magpie costume.

Reply #295684 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Daniel Hughes face when Murray climbed onto the ring - GOLDEN

Reply #295688 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

FM, I sent him a text saying "The bird is in the nest."

Reply #295690 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

so daniel hughes is not Murray the Magpie - i just lost money -
what about one of those ex navy seals having transformed
come out murray - maybe murray is The Stig

Reply #295708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having been to a game in Brisbane in 99, during warm ups Thaddeus Delaney went for a dunk, cracked the backboard, and the whole basket support slowly sank to the ground.

45 minutes after scheduled tip off the game started, and it was a televised game. That is why the bird should stay off the baskets.

PS..bring back the Monster!!

Reply #295718 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:16 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754