hereschenes
Years ago

Packer, Murdoch officially join Ten's board

See here.

Enjoy your One HD while it lasts, folks.

For some context, in case you're unaware:

Mr Packer controls Consolidated Media Holdings, which owns 25 per cent of pay-TV operator Foxtel and 50 per cent of Fox Sports.

Mr Murdoch is a director of News Corporation (publisher of The Australian), which has the same pay-TV investments in Australia. Ten's sports-only digital channel, One, competes with Foxtel for some broadcast rights.

Topic #24250 | Report this topic

hereschenes  
Years ago

Also see here for previous Hoops threads on the topic.

Reply #295449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

last time these two got together was the brilliance of Onetel.

Reply #295450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know I would be packing my dacks just yet!

Reply #295492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely ten wouldn't have OFFERED the board position to them if they're plans are to kill off ONE HD?

"Mr Murdoch says he is looking forward to developing the broadcaster's multi-channel strategy." - Isnt that exactly the oppisite of what Packers supposedly wants to do, bring it back to just one channel and elimate this multi-channel format?

I sure hope by "developing the broadcaster's multi-channel strategy" he doesnt mean replace ONE HD. That would be far from development.

Reply #295506 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sadly, developing would just mean "making more money from". Cheaper to recycle old sitcoms than it is to buy broadcast rights for live sport.

The more channels we get, the less watchable material we seem to have on. When some foreign Wipeout show is one of your best bets, you know you're in trouble.

I'm down to watching Good Game (ABC2, Monday nights) and little else besides the basketball.

Reply #295511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still no update for NBA games on One HD beyond the 31st December, unlike ESPN.

http://www.nba.com/schedules/international_nba_tv_schedule.html

Reply #295513 | Report this post

tom45tom45tom  
Years ago

Isaac you should buy into that board, you're rich aren't u? Don't u run iiNet or the internet or something in between?

Reply #295533 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, not at all rich. Sorry to disappoint.

Reply #295535 | Report this post

tom45tom45tom  
Years ago

you could never disappoint

Reply #295554 | Report this post

Still paying off the Ferrari?

Reply #295559 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Isaac - watch "Man vs Wild" with Bear Grylls on SBS on Monday nights...

Reply #295563 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

iView FTW. If One HD goes then my broadcast TV-watching levels will officially flatline.

Reply #295567 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

tom - funny stuff.

Pickles - they're expensive to run and service!

LC - I used to but they got pretty lame after a while, and I got sick of watching him drink his own urine simply for shock value.

Reply #295571 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Re: iView, someone in and around the NBL (might've been my brother?) was telling me that they were shown a demo of the new iiNet Fetch setup and everyone (probably the Hawks?) was seriously impressed. Might be worth keeping an eye on. They've started advertising it but without really showing the interface which is often the part that will make or break these things.

I've gone from hacked Xbox with XBMC, to a hacked Apple TV to now use a Samsung LCD with USB ports that recognises large, external hard drives - interface of the Samsung isn't brilliant but it's very easy to run. XBMC and ATV were a pain when trying to add (reliably) external drives over the network, etc.

Reply #295572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I've gone from hacked Xbox with XBMC, to a hacked Apple TV to now use a Samsung LCD with USB ports that recognises large, external hard drives - interface of the Samsung isn't brilliant but it's very easy to run. XBMC and ATV were a pain when trying to add (reliably) external drives over the network, etc."

Can someone translate this into English for me? ;)

But yeah I just read the other day that FetchTV is now officially starting up and they've already got 1000 customers. Don't quote me on these numbers but I read that for their basic type package you only need an internet connection of 1.5mbps but for their best package you need 7mbps. I've only got around 4.5-5mbps so at this stage wouldn't consider it.

But with Foxtel gobbling up SelecTV it's good to see another alternative starting up.

Reply #295628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LC wrote "Isaac - watch "Man vs Wild" with Bear Grylls on SBS on Monday nights..."
Finally something we agree on :-)

Isaac wrote "...to now use a Samsung LCD with USB ports that recognises large, external hard drives - interface of the Samsung isn't brilliant but it's very easy to run."
Can you provide a model number? And when you say the interface isn't brilliant, is that just the menu? Is the actual picture fine?
I've currently got 4 portable USB hard drives, each 1.5TB and I have to run a PC to play on the TV.

But what I actually wanted to say, was maybe ABC would then do a sports channel. I understood they were mighty unhappy with 10 for "stealing" their idea with OneHD sports channel. Maybe axing it would revitalise their enthusiasm?

Reply #295641 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, I have the Series 6 55" LCD - bought it online and had it delivered from Melbourne. The interface is just trying to be fancier than it is utilitarian and not particularly slick - some of the ATV/XBMC interfaces were really attractive *and* smarter when it came to browsing. With the Samsung, you're not working against it all the time, but it could be better. Interface seems to be something all these devices (set top boxes, etc) get really wrong - our DVD player accepts a USB stick and the browsing interface for that is akin to Norton Commander from 20 years ago.

Back to the Samsung - the picture itself is excellent. There are two USB ports so we leave the two main drives plugged into those. Seems to play most things we've thrown at it so far. It also has some other connectivity options (have got a wireless dongle so it will show YouTube, etc) but I haven't really bothered exploring those.

One of my drives at home is a basic NAS and I had another at the office which died and I've replaced with a QNAP two-drive NAS. You could combine your four drives into two of those? They have built in iTunes server along with a bunch of other things I haven't experimented with yet.

Reply #295683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont understand that appeal of Fetch TV. All the free to air channels plus some crappy other channels (and no Fox Sports or ESPN) and its on my computer when clearly most people like myself want to watch TV on a TV not on a computer. Can someone explain the appeal to me?

Reply #295703 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Anon, many people hook up a computer to their TV these days as a media centre. That's what Isaac's talking about, essentially. So I guess you could say that the concept of "computer" meaning a box connected to a monitor in your study isn't always valid now - it's quite simple to watch internet-delivered stuff on a TV.

Also, regarding FetchTV specifically, if you go to the website you'll see they offer a set-top box which you can trivially connect to your TV. re. the quality of the content provided, I guess YMMV on that one.

Reply #295705 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, Fetch is a set top box connected to your TV. This is how TV will work in the future IMO.

Reply #295711 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:08 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754