Isaac
Years ago

NBL Coach and Player of the Month announced

Hawks clean sweep: Ervin and McLeod. Easy choices IMO.

Ervin took out the award in a landslide after receiving 58 votes to put him well ahead of Sydney's Julian Khazzouh in second (29) and Townsville’s Luke Schenscher in third (10).
Last season’s Coach of the Year winner, McLeod took out a tight race for October’s monthly coaching honours after receiving 52 votes to poll just ahead of New Zealand’s Andrej Lemanis (47). Gold Coast’s Joe Wright came in third with 14 votes.
I went McLeod, Lemanis and Wright for the coaches. And Ervin, Khazzouh, Redhage in players. Here are the full vote counts:
Player of the Month October 2010
Gary Ervin (Wollongong) 58
Julian Khazzouh (Sydney) 29
Luke Schenscher (Townsville) 10
Shawn Redhage (Perth) 9
Damian Martin (Perth) 7
Kevin Braswell (NZ) 5
CJ Bruton (NZ) 5
Alex Loughton (Cairns) 3
Thomas Abercrombie (NZ) 2
Anthony Petrie (Gold Coast) 1
Kevin Lisch (Perth) 1
Mark Worthington (Gold Coast) 1
Oscar Forman (Wollongong) 1

Coach of the Month October 2010
Gordie McLeod (Wollongong) 52
Andrej Lemanis (NZ) 47
Joey Wright (Gold Coast) 14
Rob Beveridge (Perth) 8
Ian Robilliard (Sydney) 2
Trevor Gleeson (Townsville) 1
Aaron Fearne (Cairns) 1
Marty Clarke (Adelaide) 1

Topic #24267 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Easy choices? So Lemanis did what wrong?

Reply #295702 | Report this post

Big_Marty  
Years ago

Anon, probably just a flow-on affect.

Erwin is a showcase player, McLeod happens to coach him. Besides W/L record is just as impressive with the Gong.

Reply #295704 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hawks were tipped to finish near the bottom. Breakers were pegged as one of the top two teams. I think that might've swayed a lot of voters.

Reply #295712 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Ervin wouldnt be playing this well for any other team in the NBL - McLeod is the master.

Reply #295723 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

1. McLeod
2. Lemanis
3. Beveridge

1. Khazzouh
-
-
-
2. Ervin
3. Martin/Forman

Reply #295758 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

X, he's not going to trade you Ervin cheap in fantasy just because you're a hater...

Reply #295785 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Hahaha he had to work hard just to get 2nd spot ahead of Martin and Oscar. Really think his impact is being overrated so far. And the last thing I want is players with zero games in the grand final round thank you very much :D

Reply #295812 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He is the leading scorer on a team that's lost just one game, by three points on the road against the reigning champions - surely that's a fair way to measure his impact. He had 13 assists against Adelaide. He doesn't seem to force anything and takes his opportunities when they're there or when the team needs him to shoulder them.

He leads the nearest rival by almost 4 PPG in scoring. He tops the APG list. His 3P% is 50%. His numbers from the field are fine for a guard. He can get more turnovers for all I care if they keep winning. I think you just look for reasons to knock him down a rung!

Reply #295828 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Why? I have no problem with him, he's been my boy since the pre-season and was first picked on my DT. And I have money on him for MVP!

I'm probably not putting enough weight on his wins but it still doesn't overcome the difference between him and Khazzouh IMO. Apart from the Adelaide game I think Oscar and Sav have been more important to their success and I find it impossible to completely disregard his turnovers and misses like you.

Reply #295832 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I voted for him as Player of the Month, but certainly his field goal percentage, his turnovers and his lack of defence made it a close thing for me.

But as Isaac said, he has been the main player on the team that is performing above expectations ... again.

On the flipside, I am pretty sure Gordie could do a straight swap of Ervin for Rhys Martin and the Hawks would keep winning.

Reply #295845 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:56 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754