Panther
Years ago

J Will and the Pioneers

Jason Williams had a less than impressive game for the Pioneers on Thursday night, shooting a woeful 2 from 15 including 0 from 10 from beyond the arc...
Wasn't any better for Mason who was 0 from 8 including 0 from 4 from the 3 point line.
Did it look that bad Moses???
There must have been something on that ring with Timmy Duggan also shooting 3 from 16, 1 from 8 from 3 point land.
Change balls, change rings, change stadiums if you have to but do something about that shooting percentage!!!

Topic #2430 | Report this topic

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

G'day Panther! Mase was sensational in the mid-week A grade final. It was like watching John Rillie lead Norwood to the ABL final at the Powerhouse many years ago - he just destroyed them singlehandedly until losing his cool for a moment in the last quarter. That said, he was great (note to self - he should be in the purple and gold!).

J-Will is low on confidence. 'Nuff said. Once he gets going he'll be fine, but he appears a bit out of sorts. Give him time - he's been sidelined for a long time.

Mase's shooting just wasn't there but then again, it's not really his thang. He's a down n dirty hustler.

Was a sensational game - one of the best I've seen for a long time. You should've been here for it (Whitmore nearly made it but pulled the plug at the last minute ..... soft).

Reply #27172 | Report this post

'the small dmac'  
Years ago

i am suprised the pioneers got that close to ballarat. derek was just about the only guy that played well. Jason williams needs to seriously lift his game, that was shocking. we need u back jb, a bit of cougars 2004 premiership action again. much love

Reply #27179 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Lil Dmac, don't go dissing Dallas and Jamie Holmes though. They are heart and soul at the minute. Give this team a few weeks together to gel, and they could go places this year. They miss Sedlock a lot.

Reply #27181 | Report this post

'the small dmac'  
Years ago

Yes your right Dallas did have a good game. That was the first game i have seen this year and obviously i was expecting too much this early in the season. Lets hope we can repeat 2003 championship winning form to get Mount Gambier back on the map!!!! ps go cougars, you are going down next season Moses.

Reply #27183 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Dmac, we can't do down any further next season. We already finished last ..... or as I like to tell people ..... we finished 4th.

Reply #27189 | Report this post

rare23air  
Years ago

C'mon guys...... Bulldogs 2004/05 Summer Season Champs!!!!

Its always going to be tough with Sedlock on the Sidelines and i think the results without the american show this team is one which will do some damage. To beat kilsyth over there and loose to both ballarat and albury/wodonga by a couple really isnt that bad!

Mase was awersome in that grand final.... his hots were droppin from all over the floor! I have no hestitation is saying J-Will will be fine, like moses said, with confidence and in time he will be a valuable player for the club!

dmac, dmac, dmac.... why is it you always have to be so negative.....

Reply #27215 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

C'mon Moses, even I used to score a few points down there in the A grade league (Go Cougars!!), two premierships while I was down there if I don't mind saying so!
Let's be realistic here everyone. Jason Williams was a good player for Sturt. Was not a huge scorer but did a lot of other things. The South East Conference though is a different story. Jason's going to have to lift his game if he's going to contribute to the team. That doesn't mean huge points as you've got a few other guys on the team to do that, but if your 0 from 10 from beyond the arc, you really should've stopped shooting it at about the 5th or 6th shot! His confidence is down yes, but doing that isn't going to help, and your not contributing to the team. With time and once his finger's healed completely, i'm sure he'll be able to knock a couple down but till then, contribute in other ways.
The Pioneers will be fine this season there's no doubt, with Jamo, Seda and Dallas and throw in Timmy to run the show they would have to be looking at finals.
What really needs to happen is the town of Mount Gambier to get behind them and start rocking the Icehouse like the old days!!!

Reply #27228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone really have any ideas, there would be nothing better than to see the icehouse packed to the rafter again! Nothing beats seeing old footage of the Scott Mobil Pioneers playing in front of capacity crowds!

The club wasnt really even that successful then, the Pioneers have made the playoffs the last six years and won a conference and national championship.

What needs to be done to see the town of Mount Gambier behind their ball club?

Reply #27260 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I think if there was a solution, the Pioneers board would have tried it. To this point they have just about tried everything. Those days was when basketball was booming right across Australia around 93, 94, 95. These days most basketball clubs are struggling to keep their heads above water.

Reply #27275 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

I agree, Jason should have stopped shooting earlier, but he did contribute in other ways.

J Will was the Pioneers' third highest rebounder (behind Jamie and Dallas which can be forgiven, hard to beat them to a rebound).

To me, Jason is just taking a while to get used to his surroundings.

He is no longer the big fish like he was at Sturt and it can take time re-adjusting to just being a contributor, not a star.

I think Jason's biggest problem on Thursday night was his shoes.

Changed them once and still slipped over!

Reply #27291 | Report this post

mullet  
Years ago

we kept in the game just from a few scoring runs...hardly any consistency throughout the game with so many shots being missed..sloppys two handed jam with the foul was sick..sedlock was suited up and shot around before the game but pulled out cus his ankle wasnt near as good as he thought.....moses you seem poud to be apart of the 'purple and gold'...unfortunately your new uniforms make you look like pansys

Reply #27331 | Report this post

rare23air  
Years ago

Yeah gotta say it.... That two hander really got me going!

Reply #27333 | Report this post

rare23air  
Years ago

So whats the chances of seeing Sedda suited this Friday against the AIS?

Reply #27339 | Report this post

myopinion  
Years ago

I believe people will start watching if they get some young blood into the team. I know they need their big guys for strength and leadership but getting kids like simon berkfield and shannon seebohm on the court would spark things up a bit. Afterall, those two guys practically single-handedlly got the pioneers back in the game when they played warrnmabool seahawks at the Millicent ABA Challenge. The pioneers squad is pretty exciting when u look at it on paper anyway with mase and dmac. They don't actually advertise that greatly down here in the south east. They should start organizing buses from surrounding towns like millicent and naracoorte to get them involved. It seems like they don't really care that they aren't pulling in the crowds! A bit of publicity would do them the world of good. Well thats just what i think though.

Reply #27341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

blooding some locals would also bring the crowds, when Murray Bridge were in the league there were 200 people there just to see Billy Wilson. They need to use some locals and stop flying in all of the so called talent, any local can go 0/10 from the 3 like Jason did last week. It may take a few years but the results will be worth it. It takes a coach than can teach and develop not just manage paid talent

Reply #27346 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

let jason williams live.hes been out of form for a couple of years now.he will find it shot one day.

Reply #27351 | Report this post

'the small dmac'  
Years ago

MVP for the winter season 2005 - Russian!!! Even Moses could put up 0/10 from the 3. I think the panthers uniform suits you Moses. It brings out your feminine side. Just joking dog.

Reply #27410 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Strewth, I'm copping a hammering here. Best take a few notes, sharpen the elbows ..... ;-)

Reply #27809 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

Shannon Seebohm will not suit for the Pioneers in the SEABL.

He is keeping his options open for college ball and would become ineligible if he played for the Pioneers.

The same reason he is not playing for Forestville's ABA team.

Not saying he is going to college, just keeping the option open.

Reply #27903 | Report this post

Enforcer  
Years ago

Pioneers will never fill the stadium's again like they did in the bad old days because there is no free to air replay.
Like it or not TV is where the interest is spiked for local sports.
If WIN TV were serious about opportunities in regional sports they would run replays on all of their stations Ballarat Bendigo Albury Canberra it would be awesome and maybe send some much needed $ back into the sport.

Reply #37801 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

There was a small article in the weekend Adelaide papers saying Channel 37 or 39 or something like that, have a community licence in the mount for 12 months. They'll cover local news and sport.

This might be your answer, Enforcer.

Reply #37851 | Report this post

Enforcer  
Years ago

Could be, and Moose could be coming back too.

Not likely though!

Reply #37881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

guess it shows that basketball in general has problems both board wise and attracting spectators/sponsors

not that much different to the basa/sixer scenario just on a smaller scale - smaller as in town/city population.

Reply #37888 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Strewth, send the Moose back please. The Panthers need him!

Reply #38020 | Report this post

Enforcer  
Years ago

Personally I think there are 2 types of fans that go to Pioneers games, the hard core basketball afficionados who would go whatever, whenever and those that go to watch a show.
Of recent times the latter are in the majority, if this is true then you need to build an entertaining product as well as a high game standard product.
Things like really high standard commentators and pump up music, A grade or inter town curtain raisers 2 or 3 times a season even a decent after game party now and then could help.

What do you think Panther?

Reply #38110 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:25 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754