clarky
Years ago

Kings axe Grizzard

Well the Twitter world is buzzing with word that the Sydney Kings have just released import Rod Grizzard.

@DanielEade: Rod Grizzard axed by Sydney Kings

Shane Hope of the West Australian verifies (on Twitter) what Daniel Eade posted by saying:

RT: @shayne_hope: #NBL Sydney Kings release Rod Grizzard, expect to sign a replacement before next home game on Dec 5.

When asked about who will be replacing Grizzard, Eade said:

@DanielEade: The Kings first option may be picked up by another team, there second option is available but I'm not allowed to say who yet...

Based on what I have being seeing over Twitter today, the main import option being looked at by both the Kings and Tigers (expected to axe an import soon) is Donta Smith.

No official word from the Kings or NBL yet, so this is technically still a rumour

UPDATE via Daniel Eade:
@DanielEade: Gone. Reason given, achilles heel injury

Offical release from Sydney Kings HERE

Topic #24304 | Report this topic

curtleyAmbrose  
Years ago

Just been confirmed.

Reply #296241 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Confirmed:

http://www.nbl.com.au/kings-shortcut/news/article/2010/november/sydney-kings-release-rod-grizzard/

Sydney Kings General Manager, Bob Turner announced today that the club has released Forward, Rod Grizzard.

Not all that unexpected really...

Reply #296242 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Are the 2 guys that are being looked at Smith and Hodge?
Both would add some scoring, excitement and i know in Hodges past he has added bums to seats which would be very handy for the Kings and aslong as he passes the ball to Khazzouh enough i dont think the team would mind a guy like Hodge 'dominating' the ball a bit, scoring and hopefully helping them win a few more games like he did with the 36ers and Tigers. somone like Homocide would add similar traits.
mith from memory dominated the ball less, but seemed to have a great all round game and be a good team player, i think either would be good fits for the kings.

Reply #296253 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"helping them win a few more games like he did with the 36ers and Tigers."

:/

Reply #296254 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

well he did, sure his record is around 50% but im pretty sure they were below that before he arrived, hence why he became so popular in adelaide in the first place, if had played a full season in either stints in adelaide he would have played for us in the playoffs IMO.

Sure i dont agree with some of his actions since then but credit where credit due.

Reply #296257 | Report this post

Hodge actualy a good fit for Kings. Badly in need of some scoring and only Khazzouh with real quality. They need someone just to take over and he is at his best when asked to do that. Will demand help from the defense and can deliver the assist when the help comes. Will take the heat of Khazzouh a bit. Sure he wont turn them into playoff material but will win them some games. They have big problems with the PG spot and he will help out there a lot to. The downside is that apart from Ryan they lack a bit of outside shooting and Hodge certainly wont help there. Don't think that Robiliard and Hodge could co-exist though.

Reply #296258 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

From his weirdly compelling twitters - if he's found his glasses and a phone box - he's coming..
To Sydney Melbourne Gold Coast.

Reply #296260 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Let's drop Winder from the 36ers then and replace him with Grizzard.
I'm quite the fan of Grizzard and would be happy to give him another chance.

Reply #296262 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

grizzard was kick ass with the slingers, but adelaide and melbourne killed him!

Reply #296264 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I am a Grizzard fan, but if we were to drop Winder we would need to replace him with a PG i would think, unless we start Carter and allow guys like Ng, Hill, DeVries to play back up pg, maybe Griz could even play 5-10 mins at pg???

Out of the names rumoured to the tigers Homocide is the only real Pg, what would people think if we got Homocide? or are we better off hanging onto Winder? or changing the balance and getting Grizard?

Reply #296267 | Report this post

Look out for Mike Helms back in Oz .....

Reply #296272 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

from memory - Donta went to Europe for more money than NBL - but didn't get paid - now NBL available.
Hodge is available to Kings Tigers Blaze - he's told us.

Grizzard - reason given - achilles heel injury.

Reply #296273 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Judas to Melbourne or Sydney. Fingers crossed!

It's a pity I can't find wooden spoon betting.

Swapping Winder with Grizzard would screw us up in a major way.

Reply #296274 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

DWG have you been speaking to Bob?

You working for him again?

Reply #296275 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Grizzard would be a terrible signing for Adelaide! No chance.

Reply #296277 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Jonno ask Brad Hill if he wants Homocide on his team.

Reply #296280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fell sorry for grizzard. Like the guy, and he can definately play but has been axed twice. The melbourne exing was total BS especially. Hope he lands on his feet

Reply #296283 | Report this post

WTF  
Years ago

I hear Raheim Brown to the Kings, but not confirmed. He would be a good fit as he is 6"10 and agile enough to play 3 4 and 5. I think he would bring in a crowd and take a lot of pressure off big kazzouh.

P.S. Why would anyone in Adelaide want Grizz? He is under performing and not a good fit.

Reply #296289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering the production we're getting out of our imports the Sixers could do worse than try Grizzard again. Sack Winder and sign Grizzard (given the SOS group won't spend big money on an import). We've got plenty of guards already and Carter would be fine as the starting PG and both DeVries & Grizzard can handle the ball too.

2007-2008: Singapore Slingers (Australia-NBL, starting five): 30 games: 19.4ppg, 7.9rpg, 2.9apg, 1.5spg, FGP: 47.6%, 3PT: 30.4%, FT: 76.3%,

2008-2009: Melbourne Tigers (Australia-NBL, starting five): 19 games: 13.2ppg, 6.2rpg, 2.0apg, FGP: 47.6%, 3PT: 31.0%, FT: 77.4%; in Jan.'09 moved to Adelaide 36ers (Australia-NBL): 8 games: 10.0ppg, 5.5rpg, 2.4apg

Reply #296291 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

No.

Reply #296292 | Report this post

WTF  
Years ago

2010 Sydney Kings. 8ppg and sacked! He is going backwards. I think if you are going to replace Winder, you don't do it with another underperforming import. I feel that Grizzard has seen his best days in the Nbl pass him by like Groves and Chappell. They were all once good, but don't have the long lasting quality of a D-Mac etc...... I would take D-Mac right now over Grizzard!

Reply #296293 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I agree with XztatiK.

Would love to see Judas back in the league to create some more hype.

Hope the kings sign Hodge

Reply #296307 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Sacking Winder for Grizzard is a stupid idea.

Reply #296317 | Report this post

SVVD  
Years ago

I think that trying a guy like Raheim Brown would be good for the league and I also heard that he might be an Aussie soon, so that would make him more appealing. The Kings could definately use a player that they could keep as an Aussie.

Reply #296321 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just need someone to suggest Jayson Wells and my day will be complete.

Reply #296324 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Would love to see Smith, Hodge and Williams back in the league.

Raheim Brown averaged 10 and 4 in italy, which is a similar standard to the NBL. He would be a good complement for Khazzouh though.

Grizzard is a role player, and with their injuries Sydney cant carry a role player import anymore. Yes he scored lots with Singapore but who was his coach? That's right Gordie McLeod.

Pretty much everyone performs better in Gordie's system - would love to see him as Boomers coach, I am sure the Boomers scoring over 90ppg in Beijing had something to do with his influence.

Reply #296326 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Winder isn't great but he's handy. I think he just needs to find his spot in the team and do it in a hurry. He's strong, he can get to the rim, he just needs to penetrate and pass a bit more and be a bit smarter with some of his shot selection. We have some great shooters in DeVries, Ng, Ballinger, and DJ but at the moment it's DeVries who is finding players, not Winder. Winder is the PG and DeVries the SG not the other way around. And if we had a PG that could penetrate and pass like a Gervin or a McKee we would be better off.
Yeah it would be great to have a SF that could play but I don't Grizzard is the man to do it.

Reply #296330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wells rocked.

Reply #296335 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Jayson Wells?

thereyago.....

Reply #296338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturty6ers, your still around?

Reply #296355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mcleod would be an ideal choice for the boomers because his teams play a lot like european teams.

Reply #296371 | Report this post

wow  
Years ago

Hodge done deal, and he is playing cheap as well 80K

Reply #296376 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

His desires to get back were evident but he was greeted with doubts. probably 80k was the winner.

Reply #296380 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

McLeod's style is a beautiful mix of basketball. Uses the best bits of the Australian and European styles. Mix that with Beveridge's style as an assistant and that is a winning combination.

Hodge apparently played for approx $140K last year in Melbourne so I believe he is coming cheap, but $80K seems very low.

I hope he has grown up a little - it happens to all of us - and he breathes some life into the Kings after their injury woes. And let's hope he has got rid of that stupid cast on his wrist!

Reply #296386 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Stupid cast? What the hell do expect him to use as an excuse for his hideous shot if not that "stupid cast" on his wrist???

Reply #296389 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

My bad!

Reply #296394 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

As much as everyone hates him on here, i think Hodge will be good for Sydney especially, especially on the court, as he seemed to play well with bigs like Schensch in adelaide, Johnson in the tigers and will prob do well with Khazzouh, he also gives them a 'go to player' who can do a bit of everything, (except a jump shot), and create some offense, he will also draw the d on penetration to open guys like Ryan up on the outside.

He is also a personality for the sydney media and love him or hate him he can flat out play and is exciting to watch, hence why we all used to love him!, if he leaves the other stuff back in the USA and behaves well he will be a good pick up, and if not the league needs villans. And if he is playing cheap it obviously shows he wants to be in australia and play in the nbl, and musnt be all about the money, and must be accepting that he can no longer demand the 300k+ he used to get for us.

On the court he is a upgrade on Griz IMO (and most players in the nbl), but who knows about the locker room, etc. If he can pull his head in enough, he will be fine and be able to play out a few more years in the nbl, any more antics id say we wont see him n the nbl again. My advise is for him is to just let the game do the talking, have fun on the court, excite the crowd like you did for the 36ers and dont get into any antics against anyone, (especially not a classy guy that everyonr loves like Maher) just play the game, and walk off the court with class, and he will do just fine.

Does this mean the tigers have Smith?? i hope they let campbell go if thats true as i beleive Devendorf is the better out of the two.

If those two are back its great for the nbl, will bring some excitement for the clubs, and hey they are both exciting players to watch!

Reply #296395 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"Does this mean the tigers have Smith?? i hope they let campbell go if thats true as i beleive Devendorf is the better out of the two."

He may be better overall but Campbell is their only PG! I wouldn't leave Devendorf/Corletto/Smith with the ball handling duties when that is possibly their biggest deficiency already!

Reply #296397 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

True, but i dont think Campbell is a very good ball handler, i reckon they look better with Corletto or Devendorf bringing it up under pressure than with Campbell.
Hence why the tigers really should get a PG and not Smith for team balance reasons, but i guess they are just going on the best player they can get, and Smith is a top line import!

Reply #296400 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:00 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754