Michael
Years ago

Tigers cut Campbell for Homicide

Tigers Snap up Homicide

The Melbourne Tigers are in the process of adding reigning NBL MVP Corey 'Homicide' Williams to their roster.

Williams joins the Tigers after being dumped by the Townsville Crocodiles at the end of last season, despite leading the team to the semi finals, winning the NBL MVP and heading the Crocs in points and assists per game. Williams, the 2 time Crocs MVP, was a fan favourite and when the opportunity arose to add a player of his quality and experience to help turn their season around, the Tigers did not let it slip.

To complete the signing the Tigers will be forced to release import TJ Campbell, who has been slow to adapt to the pressure of the NBL and his role as point guard of the team.

Tigers Head Coach Al Westover was thrilled with the possible addition of the 2009/10 NBL MVP.

"Corey is a veteran point guard and it is a real coup for the club to add the reigning league MVP and player of his quality. With five rookies in the team to start the season the leadership and on court experience Corey will bring could be the difference in us winning the close games and turning around our season. He is a real driving force and brings energy, excitement and that extra edge to the team we have not had this season."

"Although he is new to the system, being a veteran we think he will adjust to our structure quickly and make an immediate impact. Not only is the possible addition great for the club from a performance perspective, it is also great for the fans and sponsors. Corey is an energetic and passionate player, a guy the supporters of the club will love to see on the court."

Williams, who arrived in Melbourne today, was excited to be back in Australia, especially at the Tigers.

“I'm very excited to be joining a club with such historic tradition as the Melbourne Tigers. Make no mistake! This will be the biggest challenge of my NBL career.”

“However, we will try by using our team concept and playing my part to turn this tough start of the season around and get into the finals. This is definitely a challenge I am looking forward to - Better days are definitely ahead of us!”

Williams is waiting on NBL and VISA approval to play in the Tigers home game tomorrow night against last season's champions the Perth Wildcats (8.00pm tip off at 'The Cage’). Tickets are available for the clash through Ticketmaster on 136 100 or visiting www.ticketmaster.com.au. For all Melbourne Tigers game, membership and ticketing information please visit www.tigers.com.au.

Topic #24319 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Hope he has a bit more success than with the Pythons in HSH. Could really change the way the Tigers play and probably worth the gamble given their position on the ladder.

Reply #296568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

League MVP, all the awards, etc....gets cut from a good team and teams were clearly clamouring to sign him.

I am amazed at some of the import selections in this league. They are baffling.

Reply #296569 | Report this post

Go Tigers!!!!!  
Years ago

Thank goodness!! finally a good import signing that makes sense. He is a proven player and I dont know what the Tigers were think signing 2 rookie imports. TJ is unfortunately collateral as he is an outstanding shooter without good size and athleticism.

Reply #296570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no one was clamouring to sign him.

Reply #296572 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

no idea what the tigers are doing.
tj campbell was a fan favourite, probably our best player this season so far!
williams can't shoot, it's just another player for the defence to back off on.
i am a melbourne tigers member and i had faith in the system al put in place.
it's a pity that he didn't even have the balls to wait until we had all 10 guys healthy on the court before he made this decision.
melbourne have played last years grand finalists and new zealand, in each game we have had atleast one guy not suit up and yet we had still improved in each one.
yes the kings game was a shocker, but we can live with that.
soft by al westover!

Reply #296573 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Whilst he probably adds something the Tigers need in ball handling ability which Campbell seemed to struggle with, he does not add anything as a perimeter threat.

The Tigers needed to make change, I just don't think they have made enough change, both in personnel and team structure.

Reply #296574 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

This move makes no sense for the Tigers. A do-it-alone drive and (not) dish player who clearly has outstanding skills, but could not shoot to save himself, does not give them the playmaking PG and exterior shooter they need.

That said, Corey will be even more effective as a slasher with the new no-charge zone.

Will be very interested to see how it turns out.

Reply #296575 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Trying desperately to parlay this announcement with a joke about Julius Hodge developing a new nickname for himself to boost his re-employment chances: 'Hodge-icide'.

#nopegotnothing

Reply #296577 | Report this post

wasportsfan1  
Years ago

I doubt he will be cleared by tommorow for the game!

Reply #296578 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Then Devendorf , with Smith likely to be at the Kings.

Reply #296579 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

While he has no range, perhaps he'll get to the line? I think it was either the guys on Overtime and/or Boti that drew attention to the fact that Cairns and Wollongong are well-placed and owe some success to FT disparities (whether by kind refs or having penetrating PGs).

Reply #296587 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

and they keep Devendorf..... WTF.....

McPeake... screwing with my fantasy team again....

Reply #296589 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Pleased to see Homicide back in the League as he's good to watch with his flair and mo-hawk. Certainly helps bring in the crowds.

Reply #296594 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

The Tigers have been on it for about 10 days now - i think his clearance is all ready to go... Hodge too? That's what I have been told!

Reply #296606 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Hodge too? Seriously?! That would explain reports of him being on his way. I find it hard to believe Melbourne would bring him back, he wasnt a popular figure last year.

McPeake was apparently a fan though, and the man who signs the cheques ultimately gets the final say. Fascinating.

Reply #296609 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

"Overtime" last nite - given that Henry said 'No.'
to Homicide and Hodge and Donta is "under consideration" at SYD. Then JVG thought MEL would do Homicide and Hodge.

Reply #296611 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Fair enough. The two worst jump shooting guards could end up at a team that desperately needs jump shooters!

Reply #296613 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

McPeake or another hair brained idea by Westover?

Reply #296615 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

I may be wrong, but i just cannot see Homicide giving up his dribbling ways, to cut off the ball , and lay screens as part of the Tigers motion shuffle offence. Surely this now will be the end of Westover running this offence.

Interesting Homicide back in the league after not bothering to collect his season MVP trophy. Many thought that was his good bye kiss off to the NBL.

Reply #296623 | Report this post

taibu  
Years ago

bloody hell, i feel sorry for tj
not sure if im happy bout this

Reply #296659 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Hodge might not have been a favourite in Melbourne but he draws crowds.

Homicide will also draw crowds.

How two ball demanding, driving imports with no jump shots will work on a team of bigs that should dominate the rebounds and work well with some long boom shooters will be interesting to see.

Still these two will get their points no doubt, be interesting to see which bigs adapt to a new style.

Reply #296669 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Remarkably, Homicide has been cleared already to play tonight's TV game. Great for the league (and Melbourne). Makes things a little more interesting for Perth.

Reply #296701 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And here's a video of Homicide training with the Tigers - all looked to be based around getting the bigs easy inside scores. Thought I saw TJ Campbell in the background still training with them?

Reply #296703 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

Isaac,

Good Spot, that was definetley TJ.

Not to sure what this could mean.

Reply #296705 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Probably just hanging around and staying fit before he flies out or finds another gig?

Reply #296708 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

When they cut Grizz he got a phone call from Westover chewing him out about not turning up to training. Only when Grizz told him that Seamus had cut him did he calm down. Perhaps Seamus didn't call TJ this time

Reply #296713 | Report this post

Mookie  
Years ago

Pimp nigga

Reply #296776 | Report this post

WTF  
Years ago

Mookie you are a racist douche. Get this racist crap off the forum! It is not a good look

Reply #296823 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:56 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754