billo
Years ago

HUGE Blake Griffin Dunks

The rookie race has suddenly got interesting. After a few quiet games Blake Griffin has come out and dropped 45, 15 & 7 and thrown the gauntlet down to John Wall in the battle for rookie of the year (pretty sure it's a 2 horse race this year?).

IN addition to putting up those huge numbers he also dropped 3 of the biggest dunks I've ever seen. How many guys in the league have this sort of athleticism?

Topic #24352 | Report this topic

hereschenes  
Years ago

It's like NBA Jam in real life!

Reply #297023 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"Mozgov face, meet my crotch."

Reply #297029 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

That is frickin unbelievable I have not seen this kind of athleticism for a long time. Yes there are some high flyers out there but just his explosiveness is simply ridiculous!!!

Reply #297031 | Report this post

lickity split  
Years ago

The spin move on the fast break and hammer dunk was unbelievable

Reply #297036 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Some great dunks, but why did he have to do it to my beloved Knicks.

I do like this highlight package though.
They seem to always happen to the Knicks though.

Reply #297044 | Report this post

Jr_Sr  
Years ago

WOW! not only the dunks but 45, 15 & 7! they are crazy numbers for any player let alone a rookie.

Anybody know the highest PPG for a rookie?

Will he be in the dunk comp this year?

Reply #297045 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Griffin is a outright stud...... Watch out Lakers, there is a new kid in LA.

and to think this kid lost a season due to knee surgery...

Reply #297049 | Report this post

NBA agent  
Years ago

they were crazy this kid has definitely been worth the wait.

Reply #297059 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

A nice moment captured between Amare and Griffin after one of the dunks, Amare gave him a nod of approval from one explosive big man to another.

There's a story here which talks about the passing of the torch, really liked their final paragraph.

Remember this moment for as long as you can. All it's missing is Shawn Kemp looking down upon both players in approval from a luxury box while eating an entire cheesecake with his bare hands.

Reply #297065 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

great pick up by me in fantasy.

Reply #297068 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Jr_Sr - there are just a few players a head of him for most points averaged by a rookie. Griffin is currently averaging 18.5

Wilt Chamberlain - 37.6
Walt Bellamy - 31.6
Oscar Robertson - 30.5
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - 28.8
Elvin Hayes - 28.4
Michael Jordan - 28.2
Rick Barry - 25.7
Terry Dischinger - 25.5
Elgin Baylor - 24.9
Geoff Petrie - 24.8
Sidney Wicks - 24.5
David Robinson - 24.3
Earl Monroe - 24.3
Walter Davis - 24.2
Bernard King - 24.2
Terry Cummings - 23.7
Allen Iverson - 23.5
Alex Groza - 23.4
Shaquille O'Neal - 23.4
Pete Maravich - 23.0

Reply #297070 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

And Jr_Sr if you meant the rookie record for points in a single game I think Wilt has that too (58 points). And Brandon Jennings had 55 last year.

Reply #297074 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Man.... Griffin is completely wasted on that Clippers team.

Just send Mbah a Moute, Dooling, CDR to the Clippers for Griffin and turn the Bucks into a Finals contender.

Reply #297077 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Billo, nice video, and that cheesecake line is gold.

Reply #297080 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Some very impressive dunks - all in the one game! If he can stay healthy, he could be a very special player.

Reply #297094 | Report this post

Jr_Sr  
Years ago

Yeah Juror 12 and SVD I meant by a rookie in a single game. Thanks for those stats SVD, those numbers for Bernard King are impressive, I'd heard 'fidelity was not at the top of his list' but they're great numbers in anyones carpark.

Does anybody think he'll make the all-star team?

Reply #297095 | Report this post

Jr_Sr  
Years ago

" Remember this moment for as long as you can. All it's missing is Shawn Kemp looking down upon both players in approval from a luxury box while eating an entire cheesecake with his bare hands."

BAAAAHHHHHH!!!

ROFL

Reply #297096 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Well since no one has mentioned that he took 5 steps on that spin move.......

Reply #297102 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Did anyone notice the extra steps on the NB--- oh, beaten to it :P

Unfortunately XztatiK, if we enforced "real world" basketball on the NBA, the number of dunks/layups/pivot moves etc. would be non-existent.

People would go... "Man, that Lebron was awesome with fast break dunk. He took off all the way from the Charge circle.. that's serious hops."

Reply #297108 | Report this post

chucker  
Years ago

It's sad that he has so much athleticism and his brother (played for the Suns) does not.

Reply #297110 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

X, I didn't think that spin move was too bad, actually looked pretty clean to me. I've seen PLENTY of worse pre-dunk travels.

Reply #297112 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

Billo - It looks a lot worse when it's shown in slo-mo...(last part of this youtube vid, watch when he gathers the ball)

Reply #297115 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

I think the number of players that the Clippers would trade Griffin for could be counted on one hand.

Reply #297116 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Juror, who would you guess to be in that group? Contenders might be:

LeBron - sheer dominance/marketing hype
Wade
Durant - age still on his side
Howard
Wall?
Rose?
Rondo?
Williams - bit older
CP3 - as above

Reply #297122 | Report this post

KEVY47  
Years ago

Griffin is keeping me from hanging up my Clippers hat.

Glad i took him in a couple of Fantasy leagues.

Reply #297132 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

One-too-many steps, but I'm willing to let that one slide because it was awesome. Certainly not as bad as the "crab dribble" incident.

Reply #297134 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

LeBron, Durant and Howard would be the only guys I'd take straight away in a straight up swap for Griffin. Anyone else I'd have to seriously think about for a while.

Also, check out that second dunk very closely how he grabs the back of Mozgov's head as if to suggest somehting else is happening!

Reply #297144 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Mozgov = the new Craig Ehlo.

Reply #297149 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What I love about Griffin is that he's just there to play. No posing or theatrics. Just game. Throws down three huge dunks as part of a monster game that any play in the league (bar Wilt) would've been more than happy with, and the most he does is stick out his mouthguard. Clippers are lucky to have him.

Reply #297157 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

I've looked (and looked, and looked) at the 'nod' video like it's the Zapruder JFK footage - is it really a nod, or even a 'knowing glance of respect'?

It looks like a 'you right there, pal?' eyebrow-raise for mine - it's the middle of a close game, and is Stoudemire really going to be passing any ceremonial torches in the middle of two foulshots?

It smacks of media-types giving fleeting moments too much gravitas to make themselves feel more important, and in fact I am going to go so far as to identify the equivalent of a 'Oswald didn't act alone - there had to have been a second shooter' in my theory.

I've broken it down chronologically:

0:12 Stoudemire makes the first foul shot

0:14 The ref gets the ball back from Griffin, who's wandered into the lane, and then gestures for the ball to be wiped

0:16 Knowing he has a few extra seconds while the ball gets wiped, Griffin wanders back outside the lane

0:20 Camera cuts to Amare, who's waiting at the line for the ball to be returned to him to take his second foul shot

(From here, I can only speculate as to what was going on, as the camera lingers on Stoudemire and we can't see what the ref is doing)

0:23 [unseen] Ref finishes wiping the ball - that's right, it's a quick wipe and one Griffin didn't anticipate

0:24 Stoudemire looks very quickly at the ref and gets ready to receive the ball, only to see the ref looking at Griffin, waiting for him (Griffin) to resume his place at the lineup.

0:25 Stoudemire looks in Griffin's direction to see what he's doing and why he's holding things up

0:26 Stoudemire shoots the so-called KGOR, but which I believe to be a 'you ready now, pal?' glance

0:28 Stoudemire breaks the gaze by looking away, and a faint smile appears to start. I interpret this as a 'You're in the NBA now - we wipe our balls with some velocity here, my friend'

0:30 Any hint of a smile is gone as the ref appears ready to bounce the ball to Amare

0:32 Amare receives the ball and the game resumes.

So: the theory I'm advancing here is that the quick ball wipe brings all this about, and furthermore, that's all it's about. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

#quickballwipesthatchangehistory

Reply #297171 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

TL;DR.

Don't ruin it for us Bo...

Reply #297179 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Man, that slo-mo dunk. Dwight Howard eat your heart out.

Seriously, while it's impressive dunk, I think I'd prefer not to have seen that second angle. The face on video of it is just hatervision.

Watched it like 20 times already.

Reply #297190 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

OK, I'll summarise: Shawn Kemp is eating this cheesecake, right...

Reply #297209 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

some of the most ridiculous dunks I have ever seen. Kemp never got that high that quickly either

Reply #297346 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:27 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754