anonomoss
Years ago

Clash of district games and 36ers

I am really lookin forward to being abole to get to the Dec 3rd Games - there seems a real build up it it Will creek play ?
Can Winder step up ?
Can we restore homwe court pride ?
Will Murray abseil fromthe heights again ?
but alas District is programmed.I know we had the reasons why but with only limited sixer games each year and with this game appearing to be season defining its disappointing for all concerned.Not the least the players who want to get to the game and the sixers who need OUR support.
Seriously needs better planning.

Topic #24355 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

cry baby

Reply #297143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

;(

Reply #297155 | Report this post

Calisto 15  
Years ago

Agree,

The NBL should not be playing Friday night games in Melbourne and Adelaide, while juniros are on.

Just plain dumb. Hopefully they learn and programe better.

Reply #297167 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think it's to do with venue availability and the need to accommodate the Doomsday Doubles (e.g., in this case, Townsville play in Adelaide on the 3rd and then Perth on the 5th). So, not dumb, just awkward.

Reply #297170 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

... and it's good to see BSA working well with the NBL ......

Is there any sensible reason why this round of juniors could not be rescheduled to Sunday like the last clash?

Reply #297174 | Report this post

Calisto 15  
Years ago

Issac, they could easily play Sat/Sunday, just like they did for 20 years. Or play Perth Friday while juniors are on in Adelaide because they aren't in Perth.

Jack Toft, because of the cost to BSA. They lose $1.5K in court hire from club trainings. Plus about $2.5K in door takings on Sundays because of players and amilies having other things on. Add that up over 5/6 rounds and BSA could fix Hillcrest court 2.

Reply #297180 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The situation can't occur next season

Reply #297181 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Venue availability, teams wanting a gap between games. They don't pick dates just to piss off district clubs - there are reasons. BSA and 36ers issued a joint media release about the situation earlier in the year.

Reply #297182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought junior games were rescheduled to Sunday morning where there's a clash. That happened with the NZ game.

Reply #297183 | Report this post

Calisto 15  
Years ago

I would suggest that the NBL and BA didn't even consider the impact on crowds nor economic loss to NBL clubs. But rather expect BSA and VJBL to reschedule at their own loss.

Reply #297184 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I would suggest that you're wrong. Of course they would have considered it, but venue availability is kinda crucial when it comes to hosting a game. The 36ers have clashed in the past with United, etc - it happens.

From BSA/36ers:

To avoid any clashes with local leagues, the 36ers asked the NBL not to scheduled games on Friday nights, however the unavailability of the Perth Wildcats facility meant that the 36ers would be scheduled to have 7 home games on Friday nights.

Perth and Adelaide are treated as one road trip with visiting teams playing Adelaide on Friday then Perth on Sunday on most occasions.

The NBL schedule meant that 36ers games would clash against the local competition on 5 occasions. Basketball SA has been able to move one of the games but not the other 4.
BSA issued a memo about this to clubs before the NBL season started.

Reply #297187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

trouble is that the dome holds 8,000 not all district basketball players, coaches, spectators etc go or can go to a sixer game.

in the past moving the games from friday to sunday has distrupted many to fit in a few.

i am sure that sanfl would not move a game of u17 if it clashed with the Crows or Power

for a long time in this state the national league teams including buffaloes and opals were owned by BASA so was the dome so moving junior games to promote ticket sales was in their own best interest now ownership is seperate why disadvantage the thousands who play coach ref or watch their kids or grandkids on a friday night and move them to a sunday.

NBL BSA as Isaac has said issued a statement on this earlier I knew about it before I renewed my season tickets.

Reply #297191 | Report this post

Calisto 15  
Years ago

There are other methods of avoiding clashes.

Maximise the number of games played over the 6 weeks of games over Christmas. Play some early Saturday games in Perth and Monday games in Adelaide. When the TV schedule allows. Get creative and have another option for the road trip. For NZ they could play Perth/Sydney or for Cairns too. As they dont have direct flights from Perth anyway.

Poor organisation and not thinking outside the square, It may cast a bit more, but the league may be better off.

Reply #297192 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Monday games! See how you go suggesting that one to the league.

Reply #297193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know how many people this actually affects?

In Melbourne they've always played NBL games on Friday's and that has never been an issue.

BSA need to protect its income and member base and there is no reason they should be forced to move their games.

Yes in the old days BASA controlled the schedule due to its monopoly on basketball in this state but times change.

Monday night NBL games will clash with social, Division 2 Seniors etc. No different to clashing with junior basketball.

In order to fit games on a weekend and also to have NBL on FTA games scheduling like this happens.

Everyone on this site has demanded NBL on FTA, it's happened.

Everyone on this site disliked Wednesday night games, they're gone.

Yet still people complain.

Reply #297194 | Report this post

Calisto 15  
Years ago

Issac, no worse than Thursday night games.

Reply #297196 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Which the 36ers do begrudgingly all of once this season. Anyway, let me know how you get on with the NBL when you propose this plan.

Do you even go to 36ers games?

Reply #297198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm so surprised any issues actually happen at the nbl when there are so many brains trust kind of guys floating around hoops.com.au!

Reply #297203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would say that 80% of people are affected by the move to sunday from friday night cause they don't go to sixer games and being made to play sunday instead of friday would disrupt there weekends. so we are catering for 20% of the people who would like their cake and eat it too.

Reply #297212 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Isaac is correct. venue availability is one issue, but TV is the other. This years schedule is heavily biased for Friday and Sunday. That is when one HD are going to broadcast.

From what I understand the league tried to schedule 2 games each friday/Sunday to give One HD Broadcast choice. This leaves very few games outside of those timeframes.

Its a matter of who you are beholden to, and a 5 year TV deal was worth the league being beholden to i'm afraid!

Anyway, all you guys have argued that FTA would build crowds again, I don't see the issue (yes, sarcastic).

castillo, your logic is perverse. the league has spread out the season this year, playing 14 home games over 25 weeks instead of the previous 21 or so. This gives a better run of home and away games and better chance at marketing in between games (and this btw will have more impact on building crowds than anything else this year). If you start compacting those , especially in the busy pre-xmas/new year period, then you lose the benefit of that. Your thinking is not outside the square or creative, it shows you don't understand the economics and promotability of the fixture generally.

Reply #297216 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I agree with Anonymous above - went to the friday night sixers game and the only district kids there were the ones that go week in and out. Didnt see too many district kids that dont generally go to the games. There was also no incentive offered to the district kids to attend - eg free entry or reduced entry. All it did was stuff up Saturday night where kids and parents had to be home early to play games the next day.

Reply #297222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it's such an issue dump your kid at the stadium, or worse still tell him her he can't play, so you can go watch Mitch Creek sit on the bench, think some people should get their priorities straight, plus everyone was told twelve weeks ago. The great Australian wingers at it again

Reply #297224 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Point is reprogramming the district games did not bring those kids to the 36ers game. That should have been the whole point of the exercise. Encourge the district kids to attend.

Reply #297228 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I have heard a figure of 20% of the crowd being associated with district basketball. There are around 600 kids playing on a Friday night, so about 120 would normally go to the game and have tickets and about 480 are sitting at home.

Now Calisto 15 reminded us that BSA would be losing $4K from "lost" court hire and parents and grandparents not rolling up because they are at church.

Using the assumption that the kids who would normally play on a Friday are roaming the streets of Unley running wild, burning down brush fences, vandalising bus stops and getting up to mischief, why wouldn't BSA and the Sixers work together.

Here's how it goes. The nosebleed section is rarely full, unless Rupert "the cartoonist" Sapwell brings along a couple of hundred kids he is babysitting at his camp, many of whom have been dropped off by busy parents looking for cheap childcare during school holidaze. The game is being televised and there is nothing worse than seeing empty stands - the guy picking his nose, or the fat chick feeding her face with a greasy hotdog really stands out then.

Why would you not make these tickets available to clubs for say $15 a pop. The club gets $5, Sixers get $5 and BSA gets $5.

Assuming that brings in an extra 50 kids + parents per club, it's a good fundraiser of say $500 to $750 per club, and BSA recoup the "lost" $4K

Reply #297229 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Kids tickets at the gate in the silver section 14 under are $11.00 need to make the tickets cheaper to encourage the kids to come

Reply #297230 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Ok, but you get the drift.

There's a pretty big "Too Hard" basket sometimes

Reply #297231 | Report this post

anonomoss  
Years ago

no whinging - just stating obvious.Sixers need as much support as possible, so why are games clashing.
Need to build the product not put hurdles in the way.
Creative programing promotion - if want to renew interest cant have restrictions to stop otherwise just becomes too hard why bother.
Limited opportunities need to make the most of them -surely thats good cents

Reply #297232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People assume junior basketball families also pay to watch the 36ers games.

I think you'll find the 11 month calendar of local basketball and the cost associated with that means most of those families spend their free time and money doing other things.

I doubt the 20% figure is even accurate.

Reply #297233 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If only a few hundred people are affected it is a non-issue.

If you moved the games to Thursday you would lose more people than that. If you move the games to Saturday and the Sixers dont get TV exposure, the club loses out much more in terms of sponsorship than a few hundred ticket sales.

Whatever time you put the game on there will be people who cant attend. There are 10 of 14 home games that dont clash with district basketball, that is a good result.

Reply #297235 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Fair point by Anon '233. And also by paul - Friday night putting their sponsors on One HD would be valuable to Adelaide.

Reply #297270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what about the royal wedding we might want to start petitioning BSA to move the games on this round to the saturday night so it doesn't clash with all and sundry glued to the TV as Di's boy ties the knot

Reply #297302 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

Di's boy has done well (I won't go into the joke about his mother's ring) and I'm sure he won't have it in a knot for long.

Reply #297315 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:52 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754