Bo Hamburger
Years ago

today's book recommendation: Play Their Hearts Out

Book discussions pop up on here from time to time, here's my unsolicited recommendation (just in time for Xmas!): Play Their Hearts Out.

It's a look at the junior hoops scene in the US, and in particular Demetrius Walker, who was profiled in Sports Illustrated as a 14-year-old and his coach, Joe Keller.

It raises all manner of questions about of grassroots basketball, the role of coaches, parents and shoe companies, and the impact this all has on the kids (aged as young as 10). A really good read.

Anyone else got any good hoops titles they've read lately?

Topic #24376 | Report this topic

clarky  
Years ago

I'm currently reading the new book by the guys at FreeDarko - 'The Undisputed Guide to Basketball History'

Like their first release (The Macrophenomenal Pro Basketball Almanac), this one is written in a unique style and takes a somewhat different approach to the history of basketball since its development by Dr. James Naismith.

I haven't finished reading it yet (about 3/4 of the way through) but so far it has been excellent, with great insight into basketball history, obscure facts and side-notes, as well as excellent artwork.

If you are a fan of basketball and like history I would definitely recommend taking a look at this!

Reply #297415 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Ha! I bought that and the Play Their Hearts Out via Amazon right around the time the $AUD was getting all parity-y, but had to pick which one to read first! I'm a bit partial to the FreeDarko style.

Reply #297416 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:20 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754