baller
Years ago

surveilance cameras in basketball stadiums

I noticed last friday night that morphett vale stadium now has surveilance cameras looking out onto the court.

Is there any law against this? in regard to videoing people under the age of 18. I am not sure who the videos are run through whether it is basketball SA or club. Would there be any varying laws as to who they are run through?

Thanks

Topic #24397 | Report this topic

HO  
Years ago

absolutely no law against it at all. happens in shopping centres and railway stations all the time. I doub't you even have to have signs up saying they are there.

Reply #297590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But that those cameras are run through a security company. Surely there is something that can be done if these videos can be viewed by anyone in the club? As security companies have signs up, these ones do not.

Reply #297591 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

How about putting one in the carpark as well? Who is paying for this?

Reply #297592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your entering the property of the stadium owner, if they want to film on it, they can.

Playing that film in public without permission is a completely other issue, but that's obviously not the case with surveillance cameras.

And who says anyone in the club can view those videos. I doubt they are club run, I would be fairly certain they are run by the stadium owner / manager.

Reply #297593 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Who says the cameras are even on?

You'll be surprised at the number of security cameras that are there for decoration.

Reply #297603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so what is stopping Southern Tigers coaches uses those tapes for coaching purpose or for scrutineering opposition teams.

I think this is a bigger issue than what you may think!!

Reply #297632 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

Southern Tigers coaches would be permitted to use the video for coaching purposes provided they coached a team in that age group. They would be welcome to use it because surveillence camera footage would be next to useless for coaching. What is the issue?

Reply #297639 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

Perhaps they are there to save NG and other State selectors from leaving his office at SASI?

Reply #297642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great idea, iwill be asking for the tapes ASAP, don't think the rotations off the canteen bench and the deep frier plus the in's and outs of the office are going tohelp a great deal

Reply #297643 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The resolution of those cameras would not be sufficient to scout teams.

Do the sums peoples. How many cameras are we talking about? Lets say half a dozen. So, you either have a single screen with six images that you can just make out people, or you have six individual tape machines running (assuming that they actually record to tape, not HDD)

Most firms running video security have a seven tape system, one per day. After a few months of recording and re-recording the scratchy images aren't worth it.

So, using the best case scenario, one camera per court which is only on for the games. Even if they recorded to a HDD for just the games. Let's assume that 1 hr chews up 500 MB, Four courts at say 12 hrs/week each = 48 hrs of footage = 48 x 500 MB = 24 GB of data per week.

That's a lot of video to record to a hard drive, manage, watch and store.

Reply #297646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is about 6-9 videos cameras, the system is in the club office so club officials can view these. I understand the one monitoring the canteen and club office but the one in the stadium is wrong. It is club ran not basketball SA. and the club paid for them and club officials have access to these, which potentially means anyone.

Reply #297679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If that is true then the camera's are in fact illegal.

Reply #297680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i wonder if anyone from the club are aware of the legalities of this? Where would we find anything in the law books.

I thought this sounded wrong since it is viewed by the club offcials not basketball sa.

Reply #297681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

get over it

Reply #297683 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

does open pandoras box i reckon - you quite often see players striping ouu inigforms male female at all stadiums - not that this should be allowed but happens

need to be careful if caught this vision on security camera and then allowed to be seen -
dangerous situation looming
generally in shopping centres not taking off wet sweaty basketball uniforms doesnt happen in shops
so dont use the camera etc -
its the vision and who has access is the problem ?
think needs a re think security cameras in car park excellent covering doors in / out absolutely but in general stadium if this is the case need to rethink any legal eagle experts

Reply #297686 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Wasnt there a problem a few years ago at this stadium with a coach tasking vision of his players that caused an up ROAR!!

Reply #297687 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

if you dunk on Lebron in that gym the footage is the property of him and Nike kthanxbye

Reply #297728 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I truly doubt this is in anyway illegal. A newspaper can take a photo of a group of people without their permission, and a 7 year old child can be front and centre at the forefront of that photo, and they can publish this both in print and online - to my knowledge with absolutely no repercussions.

You often walk into venues (not just basketball) with camera's, and the person behind the desk can view a number of those views on a monitor. Camera's monitoring public areas (stadium spaces) are not illegal, where it can be reasonably expected that non-private behaviour will be conducted. A camera in a space entering a changeroom would be fine - a camera in a changeroom not so.

It is an expectation that notification of video moniotoring is provided via signage and the like.

People get this overblown idea of what "privacy" really is and what it means. You have very little right to real privacy in 21st centutry Australia.

Reply #297743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with HO, especially with thieves and thugs running around.

again people

get over it

Reply #297755 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

disagree you cant publuish a photo of a yr 7 without consent unles taken in pubic place - I suggest basketball stadium is not a public place by definition.Has restricted access and remind that BSA have a video policy in place which would suggest visual recording requires permission or at leaast knowledge by the party involved.

Reply #297762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

also the club office is not at all secure a lot of people have access to it if they want. Club has no control over who sees the footage.

It's illegal

Reply #297769 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

So why aren't you contacting the police or some other relevant authority?

Reply #297780 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Isn't it up to you to police everything here Isaac?
; )

Reply #297783 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

An excellent point but for one issue: cameras ain't here!

Reply #297789 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Anon. While I would contest your public place definition (in the interests of a gathering being a definition rather than place) a basketball stadium would certainly be considered to be a public space.

It certainly is a not a private dwelling or property.

Is a library a public place? or a school (private or gov't)?

And rest assured, you can publish the photo of the seven year old - certainly in the context I put here earlier.

Reply #297791 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Laws may vary from country to country, and these coming quotes are regarding photography rather than video, but this is from an American lawyer:

Members of the public have a very limited scope of privacy rights when they are in public places. Basically, anyone can be photographed without their consent except when they have secluded themselves in places where they have a reasonable expectation of privacy such as dressing rooms, restrooms, medical facilities, and inside their homes.
e.g., none of those apply here unless there is a camera in change rooms.

And from someone else:
However, in some situations you're not protected and can be held liable for damages. These, as you can see, are fairly obvious, common-sense situations and can easily be avoided:

Photographing on private property. You may not enter or photograph on private property without the owner’s permission.

Libel or slander. You can’t misrepresent facts through the use of a photograph or accompanying text.

Use of the photograph in a commercial application. You need permission to photograph someone for an advertisement.
Assuming some legal similarities, I'd say the cameras are there with the owner's permission, that libel/slander doesn't come into play, and it's not a commercial application.

The issue would be if there is not permission between the stadium operators and BSA? (Assuming they are not the same in this case.) Otherwise, cameras in the open spaces (canteen, courts, etc) may well be useful in handling disputes (fight in a game, etc), theft or similar.

Reply #297793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is all too easy to say get over it. The people we worry about are devious individuals who you would least suspect. I am not in any way suggesting that we have an issue with personnel down South but having first hand been a parent close to some unsavoury actions it is not worth the risk of 1. having something untoward happen or 2. For the individuals monitroing the system having snide remarks made about them.

Personally I think that the need to have security cameras monitoring courts during games or practice is over the top and not required. Certainly monitor the bar and canteen and let people be made aware of the cameras but keep the monitoring of courts for after hours

Reply #297795 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Nothing to see here... CCTV network are here to stay so I'd sugguest people get use to them. I won't bother mentions facial recognition software etc etc.

Do the camera's in Woolworths, Coles, David Jones, Myers, Bunnings, your local watering hole and/or brothel worry you??

There is nothing illegal in what the stadium is doing or done. They aren't using the footage for profit, nor are they distributing the images.

To cover themselves I would suggest that a sign is placed on the enterance and as per the conditions of entering the stadium that you may or may not be video recorded.

People with bags enter the same type of agreement when entering shops and are asked to open their bag upon exit. It's your choice to enter or not enter. Don't like it, don't enter or abide by the rules of the owner/manager of the stadium.

A basketball stadium is a 'public place'. A public place is generally an indoor or outdoor area, and can be either privately or publicly owned and the general public have access by right or by invitation, expressed or implied, whether by payment of money or not.

Reply #297801 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

Perhaps we get the kids to wear a bag on their head with eyes cut out.
We could assist the refs by putting numbers on the bags and record each foul on it.

Reply #297802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Side note : even if a shop displays a sign which requires you to show your bag, they have no right to actually check your bag unless they have evidence or a legitimate specific reason to suspect you of shoplifting.

Reply #297835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ever thought the cameras could also be used to protect the kids from those unsavioury individuals people have mentioned!!

Reply #297837 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Invasion of my privacy or protection - great debate
end of day if it helps keeps kids safe great.
if its used inappropriately the necessary authorities will act. If all boxes been ticked regarding legit installation and usage / training/ register in accordance with revelevant bodies then well done.
Safer envoironment the better but interested if any time that tape can be called for if incident occurs on court or in car park stoush.
CCV vision topic of the moment - treat it with folly at you peril as its not an also ran techno - its here to stay.

Reply #297839 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

#297762 "... remind that BSA have a video policy in place which would suggest visual recording requires permission or at least knowledge by the party involved."

Not true. The BSA policy does not require permission or knowledge of the party being filmed.

Reply #297844 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

hey daddy o the policy talks about coaches or immediate family being able to video for coaching scouting etc or family usage nobody else

think if not one of these then need permission

the guidelines are such that joe the blow in cant just video randomly video
is the your understanding ?
dont phortographers at state champs need accreditation - what the difference ??

Reply #297911 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

You must be reading a different policy to me - I can't see that Joe Blow-In needs permission from anyone to film in a basketball stadium. He has to stop if someone objects & he isn't a relation or a scout.

Reply #297975 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:02 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754