Mtaylor
Years ago

Replace Boti - new talent

Please can we hire in some fresh talent and get replace basketball writer Boti Nagy. i would rather hear from someone that at least hit the court in the last twenty years at NBL level...what about Sapwell, Ninnis, Wheeler, Davis, Maher, Cattalini, Brooks, Spear...the list goes on, so much talent and we have to hear from someone who played social before the war!! Freshen up The Advertiser Basketball editorial. Spear and Ninnis do a great job in the pub news. Sports editor please take note!!

Topic #24439 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Disagree!

Reply #298218 | Report this post

Annex  
Years ago

Yeah right - replace the best basketball writer in the country. You're kidding aren't you? This is a pisstake, right?

Reply #298219 | Report this post

Graeme LeBroy  
Years ago

150% Agree! Get rid of him!!!

Reply #298221 | Report this post

mtaylor  
Years ago

Best basketball writer compared to who.....take a vote from past players and club people on that one.

Reply #298222 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Boti is great. Sure he gets stuff wrong, but his passion for the game and the amount of work he produces is unparalled in the media in this country. Plus he has some great one-liners and at least has an opinion rather than just producing stereotypical articles.

Reply #298226 | Report this post

Gnome  
Years ago

No way he calls it as he see's it and he is not often ( IF ever wrong ) !!! from some onw who is not biased!!!

Reply #298229 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Rather than replace, why not add?

I look at the "Crowvertiser" every day and every day there is an article on the Crows - even in the off season.

Let's get another writer on board. Game on.

Reply #298235 | Report this post

ritz  
Years ago

Boti is great love the Thursday column in the tiser...
I heard him preseason about sixers prospects for this year & he was spot on...Hopefully we turn it around

An addition to the tiser would be welcomed!

Reply #298246 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Boti 'til death!! His column is the only thing I read in the paper, all week.

Reply #298254 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Boti is the man.

He was pretty spot on with his preseason prediction.

Replacing Boti would be like getting rid of Richie Beaund.

Reply #298255 | Report this post

Coopz  
Years ago

Coudn't disagree more. Boti has been the heart of soul of basketball journalism in SA for 36yrs.

Not only does he have unparallelled passion and is able to get more space in the paper than anywhere else in the country, but his wealth of knowledge allows an even view to stories and allows him to quickly point out incorrect statements we see every year from around the country like "he is the best PG/C/Import/Rookie the NBL has ever seen" Boti is the only journo left in Australia to remember more than just recent history's stars of the game.

No one will tell it like it is like Boti. A "newbie" would be too worried to rock the boat. He has told it how he sees it throughout numerous changes in management at the 36ers and will still be doing so, when this management moves on as well.

He is a staple of SA bball and even if you don't agree with what he says, his views then spark you into conversations about his view and the game in general. That can only be good for the game.

Reply #298259 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Wouldn't mind some contributing articles to news adelaidenow, on the weekend - if the sixers play fri night and/or release an Import on Sat - rather than just Thursday articles.

Reply #298268 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

More than getting rid of Boti, he should be encouraged/embraced to write more nationally. A regular article in the Australian or Age and the like ..... as said above, has considerable experience and knowledge and won't pull punches.

Reply #298272 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Boti is the man.

In terms of the media though, Boti and the Advertiser though are loosing market share, so anyone who wants to hear from any others can listen to KB and Ninnis on their internet radio show, or Carfino and those guys. Plenty of other options are starting to appear.

Reply #298274 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

A lot of it is on here on an hourly basis, also
well before a thursday article.

Reply #298275 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Reply #298222
re: Replace Boti - new talent

Totally agree with what you said here MTaylor in regards to "best basketball writer compared to who?"

there is NOBODY that even compares to Boti, sure we may disagree with him here and there and he may get things wrong but thats journalism! compared to other journalists articles Boti can be quite informative and educated in his response and articles as well as humourous and entertaining. Replacing Boti will kill basketball exposure at a journalistic level in SA.

Reply #298276 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mtaylor, does it matter what players and the club think? His job is not to provide free, positive advertising for the 36ers and Lightning. If those ex-players wanted to study journalism or start a blog, nothing's stopping them.

Reply #298286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Replace him with someone who is in touch with today

Reply #298288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What he reports we know, what we want to know he doesn't know and his articles are one dimensional, historical pieces. Check the netball reports, they make better reading.

Reply #298299 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Boti is great for thegame's exposure in Adelaide and he gets decent coverage compared to what's available in the Herald-Sun and The Age in Melbourne.

Reply #298301 | Report this post

Taipans man  
Years ago

Are you serious?? Boti is quality, I never agree with everything he says but thats not the point. He's got 10000 times more sense, professionalism and humor than any other so called 'basketball commentator' in the country.

Plus he thinks Carfino is a tool, anyone who thinks Carfino is a tool is ok in my books.

Reply #298309 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

The only reason I would consider scaling the inevitable Advertiser paywall would be to read Boti's basketball coverage.

Reply #298318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obvious Boti will remain because has he has fools for readers.

Reply #298324 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

^ Well I mean that's right #234, that's something we can all agree on. It's painfully obvious, even. For real. Boti-readers = imbeciles - just between you and me (although not really because this isn't a private message) I've secretly thought that all along. In fact, I say lock this thread down now because you've definitely summed it all up to the point where nothing else meaningful could conceivably be added. Good stuff.

Epilogue: Isaac, can you please add a "hide anonymous posts" option some day?

Reply #298330 | Report this post

Kb3  
Years ago

Does Boti consider himself a critic or a journalist?

Reply #298337 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Get rid of Boti? You must have rocks in your head. Boti is everything that epitomizes basketball in the media. He is knowledgeable, he is a talented writer, he is witty and all makes for compelling reading. There is no way I would wish for anyone else in the position.

Mtaylor, your suggestions on past players to take his place have been good players but that does not make them good writers. Don't forget, even Brett Maher got Boti to write his biography. If he was a talented writer, he would have done it himself.

Reply #298341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Irrelevant sniping.)

Reply #298354 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

Boti rocks! he should be on OVERTIME instead of CARFINO

Reply #298381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

all his supporters are his age, think about it.

Reply #298383 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I did, and I noticed that I am not the same age as Boti.

A couple of things for those who might not realise:

- not everything that is published in the paper makes it to AdelaideNow online (not Boti's decision)
- not everything that Boti writes is picked by the editor to be published

Reply #298384 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Get sick of Boti knockers because local junior links etc or other personal opinions.
He does a good job and keeps informed and gives Sixers coaches and players a lot of slack before criticizing.
Only negative I will say is his thurs. around NBL used to be fantastic and I used to send copies to friend interstate.
Now just all of his sarcastic humour and not a lot of substance re rumours etc

Reply #298389 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

I reckon he was right on the money today with his Lightning article.

Even if it was 3 weeks late.

He is controversial , that's what basketball needs.

Reply #298393 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

REDICULOUS IDEA, BOTI RULES

Reply #298394 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

So, we are getting a raw deal 'cause the editor of adelaidenow.com.au offfice hours are mon-fri between 9 and 5 past.
Seems sixers, lightning played, an import released
at the weekend - all meaningless news to adelaidenow.

Reply #298399 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Advertiser are making a conscious decision not to publish everything on their web site. They want you to buy the physical paper and, when they put up their paywall, become a paying subscriber.

Reply #298401 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

OK, I went to the shop gave a dollar and read one full page. Everythings there -Winder Sixers Lightning NBL WNBL.
There might be other writers - but there is no other who does all these things with even a semblance of the originality or the fire.

Reply #298441 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Now he's going for it on Adelaidenow - New Sixers Import and the like - Timing is crucial.

Reply #298496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On Boti, his regular NBL columns were the main reason I signed up for my $2 a week six month Advertiser subscription.

Reply #298507 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:48 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754