SVD
Years ago

36ers Minutes Spilt

Something that has annoyed me no end with the 36ers this year is how they run the substitutions. Clark is running it like we have the Dream Team and he is bring D-Wade off the bench not D-Ng.

We are running 10 players ever game - over 40 minutes. 10 players over 48 minutes I could maybe get but over 40 it makes no sense. Since the minutes have been reduced from 48-40 there are 40 minute less to go around ... almost like he is coaching for 48 minutes. It is not like he needs to save their legs - they play once a week (maybe twice) and the season is only 30 games long.

Looking at the break down over the season.

Ballinger - 28.54
Hill - 18.50
Winder - 27.51
Johnson - 16.90
Ng - 14.39
Holmes - 23.16
Dowdell - 12.90
Creek - 21.14
Carter - 25.04
De Vries - 30.04

Why is Balls only getting 29 minutes a game - it is like he couldn't run 40 if we needed him to (which we do). De Vries and Balls should be playing 35-38.

If you are getting 4 to 5 minute burst as an individual you can't get into the flow of the game. And you are only ever playing with the same lineup for 2 or 3 minutes before Clark makes a sub and brings someone else in.

He should stick with 7 core guys and then bring the other guys on like Ng or Dowdell if we are lacking something in there area of expertise.

Topic #24452 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

You say this after we had 44 points off the bench on Friday night and when Dowdell is having a very efficient season? I wouldn't want him playing less.

FWIW, only two players in the league are playing more than 35 MPG - Ervin and Homicide. No one is playing 38 MPG.

Reply #298396 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I am happy for Ballinger to be packed in cotton wool if it means he doesn't get a flare up of his recurring lower back issues over the course of a long season.

I don't see a single player in your breakdown who is playing too many/too few minutes.

I thought the rotations were excellent on Friday night (and Marty did a great job of dragging Winder when he wasn't getting it done).

Reply #298397 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Dowdell a little more. Holmes Hill a little less.

Reply #298402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's one of the problems with having a team that legitimately runs 10 deep and are all reasonably even in ability (save for Ballinger and DeVries), it's always hard to distribute minutes.

Ng might as well only get 10 or less minutes. He only works if he's getting his shots and getting open looks. When teams relax a bit in 2nd and 3rd quarters and start playing their second 5s, then you can afford to have him out there hopefully knocking down some shots. Put him on for 3 minutes, if he doesn't get open and get a couple open looks then take him off again.
Johnson probably should be getting Holmes' minutes and vice-versa.
Creek only played the 1 game, but having him there showing as much promise as he did only compounds the problem. Someone that young who is contributing like he did should be left out there, but that would mean players like Hill, Ng and Dowdell will probably suffer even more for minutes.

Ideally, you'd have something like:
Ballinger 32
New Import 28
DeVries 30
Carter 23
Johnson 20
Holmes 17
Creek 15
Dowdell 15
Hill 12
Ng 8

Not really taking into account team balance or match-ups.

Reply #298406 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Ok - well play Dowdell more - I just think the 10 man rotation is ridiculous. Play 7 or 8 players more minutes and trim off the 9th and 10th guys - I don't understand the rationale of playing so many guys in a 40 minute game - it isn't a fitness thing, so why not have our best players on the court more?

Reply #298408 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I'd use Ng as a zone-breaker in specific situations, and have him benched if those situations didn't arise. Spread his minutes amongst other players. Other than that, it's not too bad.

Reply #298409 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Saw nothing wrong in the rotations on the Friday game. Infact, I saw exactly the same effort that had the Sixers beat Perth in the opening round.

Nice to see that level of play come back. Good to see everyone talking on the court and rotating properly.

If Winder was taking up 27 minutes a game, then it will be interesting to see where the split in time would go while waiting for an import. Arguably Carter to starter and get around 20+ minutes to play with and for Ng/Hill to get boosts to fill in at the 2 when Devries rotates to PG to give Carter a break.

Loved the game play. Interesting note about playing at the Gong at the end of the week. Last time the Hawks lost at home was to the Sixers if I recall, rather big trouncing too.

Lets hope for a repeat.

Reply #298410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Am I the only person in Adelaide banging my head on the desk right now with people suggesting giving more minutes to Ng and Hill.

I know it is good to support locally grown talent but I doubt if either of these two would get the same minutes in any other team in the league. I am harsh and I will wait for the responses but these guys have had long enough, especially Ng to make a mark in the NBL. If we are looking to build a team for the future then I apologise now but in my mind having these two in future plans means a bleak future to me. Try for Greenwood or the like as replacements - someone with upside for the future!!

Reply #298416 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Am I the only person in Adelaide banging my head on the desk right now with people suggesting giving more minutes to Ng and Hill.

Who's suggesting more minutes for Hill and Ng? Pretty much everyone is wanting less minutes for Ng, have you even read this thread or are you too busy banging your head on the desk?

Reply #298418 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I agree with thedoctor - which is odd cos we don't agree on one indisputable fact (namely the fact that I am a waaaay better shooter than he will ever be) ... bench Ng and use him "Break glass in case of emergency" situations . That reduces the rotation to 9 - personally I wld prefer 8 but if have to use 9 then give the 9th man the 6 - 8 minutes when Balls is being rested.

Reply #298420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Big Marty is suggesting it. And yes I have read it all and perhaps I was hoping for more positive responses suggesting their time is reduced.

With 40 min games look at getting rid of them and lock in the new emerging Australian talent before other clubs do. Great job in getting Creek now try to grab Greenwood before the end of the season and start giving Daly minutes in front of the two I mentioned.

Unless we are all wearing rose coloured glasses to be realistic I can't see us winning the title this year so let's start making hard calls on personnel now rather than at the end of the season.

Reply #298421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And further to above I support SVD and the Doctor but I am not sure I would have a hammer too close to break the glass!!

Reply #298422 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

bring back 48 minute games then everyone gets more time. problem solved???

Reply #298430 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I agree - bring back 48 minutes

Reply #298444 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

SVD, how is it not a fitness thing? Just because someone can play 40 minutes, doesn't mean they should. Players get tired, shots fall short, they get beaten at the other end, etc. Rest players a bit and they can play at a higher intensity.

As for Ng, I don't think he's kept around as the next big thing who's going to play starting SG for the next decade, but as a bench scorer. Normalise his minutes to those of DeVries, and he's averaging about the same in terms of PPG.

I don't mind the minutes suggested by anon '406.

Reply #298449 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

SVD, also again in the defense of Dowdell: of the current 36ers (e.g., ignoring Winder), he's third in PPG with 7.8 PPG, while playing fewest MPG out of the main rotation!

Reply #298451 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

One of my mates was saying early last week that it's a shame we can't have trades between teams.

Liked the idea of sending a pair like Ng and/or Hill up to the GC for Chris Goulding.

He's a bit renegade with his play style but can shoot from anywhere. Prefer that style of play over set shooting.

Reply #298458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You seriously think the Blaze would even consider trading Goulding for Ng & Hill?

Reply #298460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac,

My point is that for the output we get from Ng we should consider using those minutes on potential players of the future.

We have seen the best of him - his points per minute is on the decline from 3 and 4 years ago, he has had two reasonable output games for this season which is pushing up his averages a bit.

As for comparisons with DeVries - look at other things rather than just Points - Assists down, IMO no where near as good a defender, types of shots taken created by both players.

As I said I will nver be allowed to enter the Dome again but he cannot be viewed as a sacred cow for much longer!!

Reply #298463 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

Big Marty - Apparently trades can happen in the NBL, as long as it all fits under the points/salary caps, and all players involved have to agree to it.

I remember reading a comment made about this by NBL GM Chuck Harmison:

"Actually, there's nothing in our rules to prevent trades now but it would be upto the players to agree. And if you wanted to trade for a player at a location your guy doesn't want to go, the deal would be nixed."

Reply #298471 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Isaac - I get all of those points but I would prefer 35 minutes of PT from Balls and De Vries and 5 minutes each from someone who is not Balls and De Vries over 28 for Balls/De Vries and 12 from bench guys.

Playing 3 - 5 minute bursts makes it hard for anyone to get into a flow. I want a shortened rotation so our best guys can play more. I would have thought that having your best 5 playing more would make it easier to win games.

Reply #298486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

... not if they are fatigued. Then their production goes down.

Reply #298491 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

SVD, if that was the key to success, why wouldn't every team be doing it? Redhage is playing fewer MPG than DeVries. So is Penney. Bruton, M Knight, Loughton, etc. Only Homicide (desperate, weak team) and Ervin (R Martin still injured) are playing more than about 33 MPG.

Teams are running their guys at a higher intensity for a slightly shorter amount of time instead to maintain defensive pressure and push the ball effectively.

Anon, I don't disagree. I don't know that a serious run at the top could be made with both of Ng and Hill on the team, but I can see why they signed them given cap restraints, knowing what they could do, etc. Guys that will make an immediate impact (Creek-style) don't grow on trees - Madgen didn't significantly outperform Hill in the ABL and probably isn't as versatile, he might be the most obvious local option that was not taken. Greenwood and co may be set on college stints first before we can grab them. I'd bet that the 36ers have been in contact with them though.

Reply #298492 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

An interesting observations about Ng and Hill maybe being in the side due to cap restraints.

Which way do you interpret that?

That the Sixers only have so much money to pay their players or that the fathers of Hill and Ng only have so much money to put into SOS, oh hang on, is there a difference anyway?

Brings you back to the argument do you want a sub par Sixers team (and the political baggage that comes with that) or do you want no team at all.

With two new imports on the way and Townsville in our sights, I'm going for the sub par team hoping to over achieve at the moment.

That may have been a bit nasty, correct me if I'm wrong.

Reply #298727 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:23 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754