Big Sexy
Years ago

Sydney Kings sign Trey Gilder

The Sydney Kings have announced the replacement for Taj as Trey Gilder

Topic #24467 | Report this topic

Big Sexy  
Years ago

And here is the article,
http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/2010/december/kings-sign-memphis-grizzlies-trey-gilder/

I love how they say former NBA player and he only played 2 games for a total of 5 minutes. But I guess that is more than I will ever play.

Reply #298669 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I guess he can shoot the 3 ball well.

Reply #298676 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Such a splendid name; well done Kings. His new nickname has to be Golden Three.

Reply #298677 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

... and I suppose Bo Hamburger's nickname has to be "Derek Pattie."

Reply #298678 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

I guess the Kings have coughed up some decent pay for this guy to choose Sydney over the Europe gig, re:

http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2010/11/kk-zagreb-to-bring-in-rancic-and-gilder.html

Mr Gilder and I have a friend in common so I'll get in early on this one.........don't be surprised if he doesn't stay long folks. I'll buy you all a steak dinner if he plays more than 4 games.

Reply #298683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that because of his performance on the court or off the court???? He certainly isnt any rocket scientist...

Reply #298686 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He had already left Zagreb before this came up, so the Kings werent in competition with them for his signature. We will see if your second bit of 'knowledge' is better than your first...

Reply #298692 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Would you like to enlighten us as to why he would only come for 4 games and not only that, why would Sydney be interested in him if he has a jump ship mentality?

Reply #298704 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Also i like my steak medium rare, porter house cut, and gaucho's on gouger st would be my restaurant preference

Reply #298705 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He lasted 3 minutes in Zagreb before they released him! Literally. Could be a loose cannon, might not have been the type of player they were looking for, could have been cultural issues, who knows.

It could also be because the coach was no good, he was sacked days after Gilder, who ended up playing one more game before leaving.

Reply #298724 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Gday Paul and SRT. As far as I am told he was looking to play in Europe exclusively and was "sold" the idea of coming to Sydney as a short term solution until a suitable Europe based offer came through.
Like most guys, he wants a second shot at the NBA and apparently thinks Europe was the best showcase/paycheck versus D-league. I think I came across a little cynical without meaning to, I am definately all for him staying in Sydney. I just don't think it will happen. As for the steak dinners, my offer stands.

Reply #298731 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

thats a fair point. Not sure if its wise of Sydney to chase someone that is alot more interested in playing in europe and will leave at the drop of an offer. but in saying that he must be reasonably good which to sydney could mean wins. but possibly not.

Reply #298733 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, well his very short stint in Croatia certainly backs up what you said - I may have come across as dismissive but I simply meant time will tell.

Interesting if the Kings signed a deal with an immediate out clause like that? There wording in the press release suggested otherwise, but it would no matter the situation.

Despite teams struggling with imports this year (the norm across the world really) it is actually a great time for the NBL to get imports, high Aussie dollar and not as many jobs or as much money in Europe as before the crash.

I will say though, if Ira Clark and Eddie Shannon are just good imports in this league that tells you something about the standard because they are two very good players.

Reply #298742 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

completely agree Paul. i think this season is just about to get alot more interesting considering it is already entertaining now!

And i didnt mean to imply you were wrong or anything like that Anonymous but i just want a free steak!

Reply #298744 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

With Sanders seemingly fitting in, and Ryan's play being very disappointing, I thought they'd go with an import guard -- preferably a point -- to address their glaring lack of direction from that position. Kings a lock for the wooden spoon?

Reply #298753 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Kings will struggle to win games with Luke Martin at PG. He is terrible thus far, Can anyone tell me what happened with him. Used to be a really good player and was running with the Boomers from 03-05.
He isn't too old..only 29.
Good to see Wagner though, he is a pure PG indeed. If he could improve his outside shooting, he could become a good NBL player methinks.

Reply #298756 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Pretty sure Martin was awesome in the preseason, got injured and hasnt returned all that healthy! Man huge blow that young Cooper is injured he was playing great for them!

Reply #298764 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Luke Martin is half the reason their imports have not been able to contribute. He has it in his head he will take over but he just adds to the problem.

Reply #298791 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Martin is at his best as an energy guy off the bench. If they sign Dickel he brings a lot of what Cooper did so if he performs they will be back to plan A in many ways.

Very impressed by Cooper too, look forward to seeing him again next year.

Reply #298795 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

rjd, hence Dickel, I guess.

Ryan is a mercenary IMO. They should've called up the Breakers before they signed him and asked them what they thought of him.

Reply #298821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After about 4 games from Mr Gilder ... we can only wish that he had a jump ship mentality. A shot at the NBA is not the question. Whether he would make an NBL side as an Australian is not obvious.

You can make allowances for being nervous when he first arrived but really, it has been shocking. The Kings would be better off playing one of the Development players ...

Reply #302157 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:11 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754