Isaac
Years ago

NBL names Round 9 Player of the Week

New Zealand Breakers' star guard Kirk Penney has been rewarded for a scorching National Basketball League performance in his team’s 93-79 win over the Cairns Taipans by being named as the Player of the Week for Round Nine of the iiNet NBL Championship.

Penney scored a game-high 25 points and had six assists and two rebounds as the Breakers charmed the Snakes at the North Shore Events Centre on Thursday night in a clash between two top-three teams.
The runners-up were Ervin (25/3/5.5 in two wins), Redhage (22 and 8 in a home win over Melbourne) and Sanders (27/5/2 in a loss).
Others who were in the running for Player of the Week included Adam Ballinger (Adelaide), Chris Goulding (Gold Coast), Gary Wilkinson (New Zealand), Luke Schenscher (Townsville), Peter Crawford (Townsville), Tim Coenraad (Wollongong), Cameron Tragardh (Melbourne), Luke Nevill (Melbourne) and Michael Cedar (Townsville).

Topic #24534 | Report this topic

Big Marty  
Years ago

*sigh*. Give it to Ervin again. Seriously, I don't understand how this award is given out sometimes.

Some weeks it's blatantly obvious to all; then the next you sit their stratching your head going... que?

Reply #299939 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I would say they factored in the strength of opposition. Penney was up against Cairns while the Hawks' opposition are not as well-positioned on the ladder.

Reply #299940 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Ervin dudded big time. NBL must think he has too many of the Philips shavers they don't give out anymore already.

Only thirteen honourable mentions this week for a round where there 5 games played, or nearly three people per gaem. Corey 'the Microwave' Webster should be shattered not to be mentioned (Credit to Boti for stealing his bad joke).

Reply #299942 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I think Liz Cambage dropped 50points last week and 50points the week before and has won about 3 players of the week. There seems to be a shift away from WNBL interest.

Reply #299944 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Wow Ervin averaged 25 points against a team with 1 win and a team with 3 wins and Penney scored 25points in a win over the 3rd place team that was on a big win streak, which also included victory's over the Hawks and Wildcats and you still think that Ervin should get it lol.

Reply #299947 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Camel - anyone else is welcome to put up the WNBL announcements and I'd like to see more WNBL topics on the forum, but I just don't have the same interest in it as I do for the NBL.

Reply #299949 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Yes.

Reply #299950 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Either would have been a good pick for mine, as would have Sanders. Penney was sublime, both scoring and creating, I think people who are saying it was clearly Ervin's have forgotten how near-perfect Penney’s game was, as he led the Breakers to 93 points against a team that was only giving up 73ppg going in.

Reply #299961 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

agree Paul, 7-10 from behind the arc also and the fact the Breakers team is deep, everyone can score apart from Boucher and Henare and they share it round, Penney is no longer the sole focus of NZ's offense with CJ and he still put up those numbers

Reply #299966 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

All eyes are on her wondering what she'll do next.
Kinda reminded me a little of that picture you had on here of Wilt blocking.

Reply #299970 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If you're talking about the image people see when blocked from accessing the forum, that's Bill Russell.

Reply #299974 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

You confused Wilt and The Winner?

facepalm......

Reply #299975 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Well, I gotta little confused. I love that picture and had a fine time watching Cambage Saturday doing that several times.

Reply #299977 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Just stirring camel...I love that pic as well.

Reply #299980 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Camel doesn't get blocked often enough to see it!

Reply #299985 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Pinney for me.

Reply #299987 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

We used to talk about predictions for POTW.
One time ago x predicted Gilchrist and to keep the award in ADL, I predicted Francis.
Next day - it happened and x said 'Didn't this happen, yesterday?' Made me laugh, kinda like a movie a saw , one time, I think I sat thru it twice called ' Ground hog day. '

Reply #299991 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Lol good times Camel. I had to dig into the archives though.

Reply #300074 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It just struck me kinda funny .. I remember well.

While only last season Francis was able to go with Cambage, now couldn't get even close.
She's quietly upstaging nearly everyone.

Reply #300078 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

http://bit.ly/gQ3q91

Bevo gets stuck in to award process.

Reply #300660 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:11 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754