Isaac
Years ago

BA names U17 National and Uni Games coaches

Basketball Australia is pleased to announce the head coaching appointments for the Australian U17 Men's and Women’s Basketball programs, as well as the head coaching appointments for the Men’s and Women’s Australian University Games teams for 2011.

Heading the U17 Men’s program will be Guy Molloy, while Marissa Fillipou will take over the U17 Women’s Program.

Veteran coach Bruce Palmer will again helm the Men’s Australian University Games team, while Opals assistant coach and head coach of the AIS Women’s Basketball Program, Phil Brown, will coach the Women’s University Games team.

An experienced coach at the NBL level where he led the Cairns Taipans between 2000/01 and 2004/05, Guy Molloy was also assistant coach to Brian Goorjian with the South Dragons, where the pair led the side to an NBL championship in 2009.

In the same year, Molloy led the U17 Men’s side to qualification for the World Championships and as a result of this success, was named Basketball Australia Male Coach of the Year that year. Earlier this year, he coached the U17 side in the 2010 FIBA U17 World Championships in Hamburg, where the team finished sixth.

"The first time through with the program, it was a new experience, both for the coaching staff and for Basketball Australia," said Molloy.

“The team performed admirably at the Worlds and got to a five-versus-six play-off, so I’m highly motivated and very keen about moving forward over the next two years with the young crop of great new players.”

An assistant coach of this year’s U17 National Women’s team, Marissa Fillipou was the assistant coach with the Dandenong Rangers WNBL team in 2006/07 and has coached numerous state teams, with great success.

“I’m just unbelievably excited and humbled for the appointment,” said Fillipou.

“I’m really looking forward to getting into it and starting to work with the athletes and the coaching staff and full staff to work towards bringing a medal home to Australia,” she said.

An NBL head coach for seven years with the North Melbourne Giants, Brisbane Bullets and Hunter Pirates, Bruce Palmer has since worked in the sport across a number of roles including elite player development, as well as the management of a number of programs within Queensland State basketball. He has also previously coached the Australian University games team and was thus the obvious choice to carry on with the role.

“It’s a huge bridge between our 19s and our seniors, so we need to use it accordingly,” said Palmer.

“We need to identify those kids in that group that can make a Boomers squad. Obviously it’s an honour to represent Australia, and we want to make sure the guys that put their hands up for consideration recognize that honour, and we are going to be far better prepared than we have ever been.”

Phil Brown is a two-time WNBL Coach of the Year and has coached numerous Olympians including Lauren Jackson and Penny Taylor. He spent four years as an assistant coach with the University of Oregon’s Senior Women’s team before returning to Australia to take up the AIS head coaching role.

“I’m delighted and excited about the opportunity to once again coach the Australian team to the World University Games in China in 2011,” said Phil Brown.

“It’s a great opportunity to build upon what Opals coach Carrie Graf has implemented and this program will work very closely with the Opals program in terms of the structure, the personnel and the philosophy.”

The successful applicants for the assistant coaches roles will be announced following the Australian Development Camp which will be held at the AIS between the 17 and 23 January, 2011.

Topic #24545 | Report this topic

ankles  
Years ago

And the wheels on the bus go Vic, Vic, Vic.

Browny's the token non-Victorian.

How does Simon Pritchard not get a guernsey with the 17's Women? He's done a terrific job actually coaching teams at National level over the past few years, without being inundated with talent.

Looks like if you want to get on board the National Programs train, better head to Flinders St Station.

Reply #300201 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Nonsense Ankles. 40% of the basketball played in this country is played in Victoria. It's inevitable that the state will produce many coaches, some of whom will rise to the top by virtue of sheer numbers.

Bruce Palmer you might recall is an American who has spent considerable time in Qld as well as Victoria. Guy Molloy either came from Perth or started coaching there and also has spent considerable time interstate including 4 years with Cairns.

I think the sport has moved well beyond its "only victorian" days - as evidenced by the number of Victorians not making national junior teams.

Reply #300206 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

So your counter-argument is based not on the coaching expertise of the Victorians selected, but on the fact that they have, at some stage in their coaching careers, left the State?

Bruce Palmer - currently coaching where?
Marissa Fillipou - currently coaching where?
Guy Molloy - currently coaching where?
Cheryl Chambers - currently coaching where?

67% of our National Junior coaches as against 40% of the basketball played in the country seems like over-representation to me (if the that's the way you want to go?).

Alternately, the fact there are 100,000 Vic juniors that dont make National teams is the argument when only 50,000 NSW juniors miss out justifies their selection?

I had thought that BA had moved past the Vic-centric days as well but the past couple of years have shown a disturbing trend.

So to debate the merits of the selections. Are Victorain coaches good or are they simply the beneficiaries of the exceptional depth produced in that State at a junior level. Can you NOT win with Liz Cambage in your State U18 team (supported by five other AIS-capable players?).

Hands up if you'd rather put your coaching reputation on the line with an ACT U18 girls team or Vic Metro U18 girls team?

Just sayin'.

Reply #300212 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I would not really consider Brown to be a "token"...

Reply #300220 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Ankles, I was not comparing the 40% participation in order to say that should be the quota for national teams coaching positions - you did that! I am saying that with such a large player base, and such huge elite competitions, that it is inevitable that in the national scheme Victoria will produce many coaches some of who will get national attention.

And 40% of 350k is a very different number to 75% of 4!

I am comfortable that the coaches selected here have either proven themselves at this level before (palmer, brown) or have done their time faithfully in the system and earned a shot (Fillipou).

Its just nonsense on the basis of one round of coaching appointments that the whole damn thing is Victorian centric.

Mate, Damian Cotter is a Victorian. he's coaching NSWIS now and has had AUS jobs - perhaps he's just well regarded for his coaching.

Reply #300225 | Report this post

NBA2K11  
Years ago

Ankles, surely you jest about beating the drum for Pritchard to get a gig at that level. Dont let the the recent results at the U-20 level fool you, Pritchard has been extremely blessed to coach some of the SA teams over the years which have been laddened with the most talented players from both the SA Country & Metro programs! If he wants an U-17 Oz gig he will need to go back to the U-16 or U-18 level & Coach a SA Metro team but i fear he wont as he is acutely aware that the talent level is not the same as he would be coaching at the U-20 level!

Reply #300237 | Report this post

New Squads  
Years ago

Dont 4 other states combine the talents of the 2 teams in their respective regions just as SA does?

SA have not won a title with the teams he has combined, prior to U20's. The criticism is s bit harsh.
He is coaching my daughters 16 girls SASI group and is going to the ECC with that group.
His work with my daughter in the last few weeks has been outstanding. Great coach IMO

Reply #300274 | Report this post

Revhead  
Years ago

NBA2K11, Agree anyone can coach a team laddened with talent,BUT it takes a very good coach to get those girls to play as a team. Something Simon going on recent performances has the ability to do.

Reply #300344 | Report this post

Jumpin Jack  
Years ago

Bruce Palmer- Boxhill Senior College
Guy Molloy- Ballarat Miners SEABL

Reply #300351 | Report this post

callisto  
Years ago

Fillipou got the job over Chris Lucas as well.

Just rediculuous IMHO.

She came bottom in SEABL with Frankston this year.

Reply #300357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Insulting.)

Reply #300358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

did Lucas apply?

Reply #300360 | Report this post

callisto  
Years ago

Yes Lucas applied.

Not sure if being a female should give you greater opportunity to get a job.

Reply #300361 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

NBA2K11 - Surely you are not comparing the level of talent in the SA sides Simon has coached to the level of talent in the Vic sides he is coaching against.

Fillipou coached a stacked Vic U18 side including Cambage, Kunek, Cumming, Jarry, Moult and Terdich to an overtime win against NSW Metro containing ??

How does that make her better qualified than Pritchard, Lucas, Tomley (current Assistant to Graf with the Caps) and others?

I've only seen Pritchard work one tournament but followed the results elsewhere and as Callisto says, he seems to be able to get the girls to play together and play hard.

By all means go on the tournament results but take a look at the players at their disposal.

Pollock gets a gig with the Gems as an Assistant but was a call and/or a possession away from getting rolled by a Qld Sth team which put one player on the National Team (the Vics had 3 and brought a 6'4 National squad player off the bench). I don't know the guy, maybe he's a super coach but it seems he gets the gig on the back of his Nationals results.

At some stage in this sport, somebody has to make a decision becasue its right, and then be prepared to defend it, rather than because its the easiest decision to defend.

Reply #300362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ask Damian Cotter and he will tell you he is a NSW coach, Home is NSW.

Watkins is a NSW coach who hailed from Victoria

Guy Molloy is a NSW coach, now heading up a Victorian SEABL club

Cheryl Chambers got a call up after Dale Waters stepped down ( He was a WA Coach ) but Chambers has done very well with the WNBL teams she has been associated with. If Bulleen splashed the $$$ when she was there, she would have won a title or two.

So whilst it may seem to be Vic centric, there have been other coaches from other states either appointed or interviewed. I am sure that Simon will get his go at this stuff.

Reply #300387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think they'll all be great AUSTRALIAN coaches. Because that's what we are. A COUNTRY. Not a group of states and territories in a major pissing contest for supremacy. As long as the right person gets picked, who cares where they are from.

Reply #300420 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

420 - Unfortunately your emphasis is on them being great AUSTRALIAN coaches, as opposed to GREAT Australian coaches, which is my point.

I really don't care where they're from if they are clearly the best candidates for the role. In this case, I suggest some are and some are not and it seems to me that where there are question marks those candidates are from Victoria.

Its not about a parochial pissing contest, its about ensuring that the sport continues to provide opportunities for players and coaches alike based on talent, dedication and most importantly performance, as opposed to affiliation.

Nobody who has jumped to the defence of those coaches appointed has yet made a case for why they should be appointed, simply that its not about being Vic-Centric, that the other candidates will get 'their chance' and they all deserve their appointment.

I think my questions still stand.

Do some Victorians of relatively average ability (players and coaches) benefit by being associated with strong teams and hence get opportunities which wouldn't come their way were they based in other States?

I'll give you Brown (generous I know), Palmer, Cotter and Molloy at a stretch (although most coaches coming off a 6th-place finish wouldn't get another shot).

So what have Fillipou and Chalmers done to put themselves demonstrably ahead of the pack? I've heard BA's reasoning and it frankly doesn't stack up.

I'm worried that BA are going all 'Cecilia' on me.

Reply #300437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fillipou and Chalmers are both female coaches with experience at AIS or WNBL level.

Pritchard has neither AIS or WNBL experience. Lucas is the past and he will not be seen as a coach with much of an International coaching future. Both Fillipou and Chalmers would be on the pathway to bigger things.

Anyone questioning Molloy's ability to teach, develop and coach players of this level clearly has a chip on their shoulder.

And if you want to talk about states being given an unfair advantage should we bring up the SA Country/Dean Kinsman connection?

Reply #300439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dean picked his nose better than finding talent and left himself open to claims of bias and Ankles you have softened.

Reply #300452 | Report this post

Answer  
Years ago

"Do some Victorians of relatively average ability (players and coaches) benefit by being associated with strong teams and hence get opportunities which wouldn't come their way were they based in other States?"

Yes of course they do.
That's why it is going to be hard for non vic coaches to get the same scrutiny, with all roads moving to VIC over the next 2 years.
It certainly has the potential to become an 'old boys club'

Winning will always give rise to a promotion. Both Watkins and Pritchard won Nationals this year with non vic teams. That gave rise to their appointments to Nationals teams.
They will get a team at some point and may end up as assistant coaches with these teams, which is probably fair?

Reply #300917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ankles... Molloy at a stretch, are you kidding ? With the amount or lack of time to prepare a team
( 9 days in camp as a team )to beat the European Champions ( Spain ), The Asian Champions (China)and be in a position to win the game down the stretch against Serbia only to fall to foul shooting woes, is pretty darn good.

I think his ability at an International level is only enhanced after that finish with that talent available.

Reply #300930 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

So 930 - are you saying we should be making allownaces fore coaches based on the preparation time they have with their teams and the amount of talent at their disposal.

Like say, if a Victorian coach with a number of AIS players gets beat by a coach from another State with less talent at their disposal that should come into consideration when appointing these coaches?

452 - certainly don't disagree with your assessment of Kinsman although I think that tends to make my argument for merit-based appointments (I don't know the circumstances of his appointment but there seems to be a fair bit of agreement that it wasnt on merit.) Having said that, he loaded the AIS up with a lot of Vic girls along with his SA Country connnections.

Don't know why you think I've softened (unless you've seen my physique lately!). Still think there's evidence we're heading in a decidedly Victorian direction with these and other recent appointments.

Tell me, of the appointments being defended by others here - who of those could be described as 'on the ascent' in their coaching trajectory? I'd argue only Cotter. Yet Lucas is summarily dismissed because he's 'the past', is a male and is in exactly the same position (if not better) than two of the coaches selected (Chambers is an Assistant with a borderline dysfunctional WNBL program while Filipou was an Assistnat 3-4 years ago). Tomley is female, a WNBL Assistant to the National Team Coach, on the way up but coaches in Canberra?

Reply #300932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your boy missed out

Happens to players every day

Happens in the workplace every day

deal with it dude

Reply #300941 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

Your boy missed out - wrong. I have no horse in this race!

Happens to players every day - unfortunately it does but should it be a reason to accept selections based on affiliation as opposed to merit?

Happens in the workplace every day - yes again, but in most workplaces there are processes in place for appealing these decisions. At a grassroots level in sport no such mechanisms exist - it remains one of the few unchallenged monolopies (in Qld they are even beyond the reach of the Anti-Discrimination laws!).

You mistake my concerns for self-interest. I want to see the best available coaches coaching our young players. I want to see as many of these players as possible progressing to compete for the chance represent at the open level, something which the best coaches will facilitate. Maybe all the best coaches do come from one area - I just doubt it!

Reply #301033 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:07 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754