Brad
Years ago

DVD Recorder Help

Hey all,

I was able to watch One HD through Foxtel channel 531 in SD until yesterday. There is now a message saying I need to upgrade to HD to be able to watch One HD. I have a HD TV and was wondering if I buy an ariel for it will I be able to use my standard DVD recorder to record HD channels? Is it possible to tune it into HD channels? Im out tomorrow and want to record the Sixers game.

Thanks.

Topic #24548 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Have you tried retuning your TV? Do you have a normal antenna for it or do you only watch TV through Fox?

Reply #300249 | Report this post

Brad  
Years ago

I dont have an antenna so Ive just been watching it through Foxtel. Ill go and purchase a plug in antenna if I can record with my DVD recorder, if not ill call an electrition to connect my rooftop antenna to the TV.

Reply #300264 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Brad if your reasonably handy yourself you dont need an electrician to install an Antenna outlet, since they dont use a voltage above 50v (which is just a tickle).

If you drop into a Jaycar store you can buy some RG58 coax and some screwn in connectors as well as a wall plate that accepts a screw in connection. I say use the screw in ones so that you dont have to purchase any tools to do the job.
Then all you have to do is connect the coax to the antenna or splitter in the roof, drop it down the wall(non external walls are generally impossible to get down in most houses) and bang on your wall plate. As I said you want to be reasonably handy yourself but most ppl can do it in 2-3hrs for their first try.

Reply #300291 | Report this post

Detroit  
Years ago

Channel Ten has removed their standard definition broadcast of oneHD. It all depends on what type of DVD recorder you have. When you were using foxtel, you were watching and recording oneHD in standard definition as your box does not receieve HD channels. Depending on what DVD recorder you have you may also run into the same problem. Unless you have bought it recently I would assume that you have a standard definition DVD recorder, meaning you will no longer be able to get oneHD through it. If you can post your model number in this thread I can tell you whether it's HD or SD. So just to recap, you need a recorder that is HD to be able to watch and record HD. Even though your tv has HD the recorder itself also needs it, to be able to record. Post your model number and I can provide more assistance.

Reply #300312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do yourself a favour - go down to The Good Guys and buy a Topfield TRF-7160 PV. It doesn't record to DVD - just to a 500GB Hard Drive. You can pause live TV, record up to 4 stations at a time (on a max of two transponders) as the same time as watching something you recorded earlier, and it's full HD. Cost $440. If your TV is full HD, it will all be fine.

If you really need to record TV programs to a DVD, you can upload the file to a PC and burn it from there, although you may need to install a couple of pieces of software first. After 4 years of various Topfield boxes, I have only found the need to do this once.

Reply #300320 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Bought the topfield PVR mentioned above. Great unit.

$400 from Radio Rentals

However I just heard that the Tivo is now $499 for the 320GB version. Awesome for that price but you will need and ethernet connection for tivo.

Reply #300326 | Report this post

Brad  
Years ago

thanks for the help guys, my DVD recorder is only a SD recorder so my question has been answered. Im not the slightest bit handy so I might need to get some help.

Reply #300329 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can the recorder just record a HD feed as SD? Maybe try some borrowed bunny ears first before you go spending just in case.

Reply #300331 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Brad, Im assuming you still have foxtel? Try channel 210 on fox and you should be sweet.

If you then run your fox via your recorder you should be able to record there

Reply #300332 | Report this post

Detroit  
Years ago

The recorder can record a HD feed but it will still need a digital receiver to run into it. Technically you could run the tv into it using an av output but it means the tv would need to be on, and you get no timer recording function. I agree best bet is to buy a powered indoor antenna, not just a usual bunny ear but one that plugs into power aswell, and plug it into your tv and tune it in to make sure that the antenna will work in your home. If you get a fine picture, it is relatively safe to say a new HD recorder will work. My recommendation is the Panasonic Twin HD recorder with 250gb Hard Drive (50 hours of HD), with DVD recording. Easier to use than the topfield, and very reliable. The HD tuner is highly receptive to low signals, such as what an indoor antenna will probably give you, hence it should be a safe bet with your setup. Should be able to pick one up for about $580 ($699rrp). Model number DMR-XW380, or for 500gb DMR-XW480 for about $760.

Reply #300333 | Report this post

Gnome  
Years ago

I agree with Detroit! I have the Panasonic - no problems with recording HD with an indoor attenna ( in the right position ) and you can record to a Blu - Ray Disc!

Reply #300336 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I only have Rabbit ears and pick up all the FTA stations (HD & SD) crystal clear.

Reply #300348 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

I'm in the same boat as Brad (SD recorder unable to record One being broadcast only in HD) and would love to have explained to me why One has both Channel 1 and Channel 12 and feels compelled to pump One out in HD on both of those? Why not HD on Channel 1, and SD on Channel 12?

#baffled

Reply #300350 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Even more baffling is the fact they appear to be broadcasting their new eleven channel on channel 12 while using channel 11 as a 2nd OneHD channel (unless this changes when in launches).

I was caught out by this when attempting to set the recorder for all today's action, might need to step up for a Tivo.

Reply #300355 | Report this post

RG  
Years ago

It's probably inappropriate to use this forum to sell items but I have a Toshiba HD STB to sell if anyone's interested! Just a nominal $40. It's no longer required since I bought my Topfield. North East suburbs.

Reply #300359 | Report this post

chewie  
Years ago

Or as another random option, if you already have a PS3, just buy a playtv addon. Got mine for $95 when it first came out and it hasnt missed a trick.

Or buy a tv tuner for your pc/mac. Always handy to have this option with a laptop. Has got me out of a jam when the power has gone out, but I have 5hrs of battery life on the lappy.

Reply #300532 | Report this post

Europa 32  
Years ago

Bo Hamburger - Due to laws, commercial TV Networks can only have 2 Standard Definition TV channels (1 being the flagship channel along with another channel) and 1 High Definition channel. I do not know why, since the government is trying to push Digital, nor can I see why Ten don't just feed the channel to the internet or Foxtel to put more ads out.

Reply #300624 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:53 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754