Amy
Years ago

under 20 state team named

I believe the under 20 men's state team was announced on the weekend? Is it true that Rawson wasnt named?

Topic #24576 | Report this topic

lo76  
Years ago

That's right - no Rawson.

Reply #300747 | Report this post

Dione 18  
Years ago

So who is in the team?

Reply #300748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How long before the womens team is named, it would have to be soon. Is the mens on a website yet

Reply #300754 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

So what Rawson wasn't named...Whats the problem? Was he meant to be a shoe in with you kids?

School holidays anyone...

Reply #300758 | Report this post

lo76  
Years ago

BMF - are you feeling OK? Settle down, champ. What a ridiculous rant. The OP asked a question which has since been answered. Rawson wasn't named, when many in the know expected that he would be.

Reply #300760 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Girls not named yet??? Few missing from last year I believe?

Reply #300766 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Is Creek eligible for the team? Would be a decent addition

Reply #300769 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He's Victorian.

Reply #300771 | Report this post

Amy  
Years ago

BMF - i was just curious, not a kid and not a parent of his either or even a Sturt memeber, interested that i had heard the rumour and was suprised as he has been playing very well at 23's and has played well in the past at National level.

Reply #300778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U20 State Men's Team
Daniel Carlin (Central)
Lachlan Prest (South)
Codey Ellison (Southern)
Peter Hooley (South)
Nathan Spehr (Sturt)
John Marriott (Sturt)
Jack Madgen (Eastern)
Hayden Barns (Eastern)
Isaiah Omamogho (South)
Ryan Gardner (South)

Head Coach: Tony Casella (South)
Assistant Coach: Darren Golly (Norwood)
Team Manager: June McKenzie

Reply #300783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Rawson should have made that side! What is his first name again?

Reply #300798 | Report this post

lotum  
Years ago

ask his Mum and Dad they chant his name in their sleep starts with a D unlike his game.

Reply #300800 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

That is a very ordinary state team after the first 5.

Why so many first years?

It always amazes me it is the same names in the first years as there are kids who were eligible playing better in the Youth League than those listed above yet they were cut early in the piece.

One of those named is not even in SASI

Reply #300802 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Wow - when is the last time there was a State side without a single player from any of these current/former power house clubs: West, North, Norwood and Forestville.

(I acknowledge that some of them may have played for those clubs previously but still).

Reply #300806 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

jack madgen related to ben madgen?

and without asking ive always assumed tess?

Reply #300812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting that a fair few South Adelaide players made it mmmm....

Reply #300815 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

All three Madgen are siblings

Ben Tess and Jack

A good blood line for basketball!

Reply #300816 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Looking at the season stats for the Youth League there are 10 kids with better averages than the 2 of the players named in the State team.

Davies and Cousins are in the Top 20, then names such as Rawson, Kareta, Saduaskas and Blicavs that could not get a guernsey!!

I have coached against these boys for 3 years and are astounded by the team that has been named.

Reply #300817 | Report this post

nix70  
Years ago

Anon - Sadauskas chose not to play State this year, as did Cousins, so that argument falls over somewhat.

Reply #300819 | Report this post

Long Memory  
Years ago

4 south kids all of a sudden & no Forestville kids for the 3rd year running...

Wow...

Reply #300829 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Bit like Sturt 5 last year

Reply #300832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can hardly have a problem with a team that lost the GF against a Vic team that had Mitch Creek in it when he wasn't even their best player.

Especially considering that sturt group hasn't lost a grand final in their entire junior career.

This years South and Mavs teams have never won anything in Sa, how can they win at State level?

Reply #300833 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Interesting to see so many SA kids in there? They must favour players from South Australia. Weird..

Reply #300834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kids, this team won't hold a candle to Victoria or NSW...that's the final right there. Everyone else is playing for places.

Reply #300836 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Can't believe Cap didn't make it. I'm shocked and dismayed. Strange times, strange times.

Reply #300844 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Isaac even if he is Victorian he has moved here now so wouldn't he be eligible to play for SA if he wanted?

Reply #300848 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Im pretty sure he wants to play for Victoria.
Their lineup is stacked, big 3 with Drmic, Hadziomerovich and Creek.
I can't see him wanting to not play with his AIS teammates.

Reply #300851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Macdub. Are you for real.

"Interesting to see so many SA kids in there?"

It's a SA state team!

Reply #300854 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Creek did not play schools nationals even though he was named in the team, so my guess is couldnt play in a state team either. Would have something to do with his contract?

Reply #300856 | Report this post

nix70  
Years ago

Uh, #854, I think you may have missed the sarcasm. Oh dear.

Reply #300864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KingJames,

Because BA has a rule for that situation which says that Mitch Creek MUST play for Victoria.

Reply #300865 | Report this post

basketball taxi  
Years ago

Mitch Creek has been named in the Vic Team.

Reply #300872 | Report this post

nix70  
Years ago

KingJames - it's the same as an AIS kid returning home to play Nationals for their home state, rather than ACT.

Reply #300877 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Under 20 level always throws up a few 'shocks' when selecting State teams.

Reply #300882 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Shocks can be good - same old same old gets boring

Reply #300884 | Report this post

Time will tell  
Years ago

Pretty surprised Kareta is not there. Knows how to get it done when things are tight. Hopefully the new guys can step up to the new level of competition so when we get to the big games we have not burned out the main 5 or 6 by over playing them.

Also hoping that those going to the Development camp, not long before the Nationals, return healthy. These camps can be pretty hard on the body! If we lose any of these, we are in trouble.

Will the 36ers allow Creek to play for Vic?, I doubt it!

Reply #300903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

new guys?

Who's 'new' to state?

Reply #300905 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Anon - that depends if the 'shocks' are up to it or not.

Reply #300912 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

I like this selection of team.

However if every player that is U20 made themselves available I'm sure you would see a different team. If guys made themselves available I would have picked the following

Carlin/Marriott
Prest/Ellison
Hooley/Sadauskas
Cousins/Madgen
Spehr/Owen-Thomas

and yes that does mean I would have left out Isaiah.

Reply #300914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard the girls are being selected thus week, any news?

Reply #300955 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

U20 coach for girls is he from Norwood? so can we expect 4 or 5 norwood girls to make the team?

Reply #300959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Under 20 Women
Ashleigh Spencer (Southern)
Tess Keenan (Norwood)
Nicole Seekamp (Sturt)
Olivia Thompson (Forestville)
Hannah Richards (Sturt)
Georgia Minear (Forestville)
Tayla Corrigan (Forestville)
Aneeka Smith (Sturt)
Maddi Cunningham (Southern)
Chelsea Roberts (Norwood)

Head Coach: Simon Pritchard (Norwood)
Asst. Coach: Brenton Johnston (Norwood)
Manager: Sue Parker (Norwood)
Physiotherapist: Claire Gough

Reply #300961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks to be a handy team, any surprises?

Reply #300963 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

LOL. Anon I was just been sarcastic.

Reply #300970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem with the mens team won't be the players but the coach!!

Reply #300976 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Start bitchin when the results are in...not before...

Reply #300978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

where is alex cabbatoni from southern

Reply #300979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

in the U18 team probably cause she is an u18

Reply #300980 | Report this post

lol  
Years ago

all over, creek, drmic and iggy to take it out for vic

Reply #300986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about the Vic girls?

Reply #301038 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

Vic girls red-hot favourites I'd say. Allen, Cole, Garrick, Blicavs, Lavey, Harrington all at the Tute. Fadlejevic and Cydesdale in Gems squad. That's not a bad start.

SA will be strong and well-coached (though maybe undersized), Qld will be strong in the frontcourt (Tippett and Payne - recently ex-AIS) and well-coached and NSW will be a wildcard - have really struggled at this age group in the past couple of years. Karaitiana and Lepaio (both Gems players) should be reasonably well-supported but this group haven't clicked really since winning a silver medal as bottom-age 18's.

Suspect everybody else is playing for second.

I'd say Vic, Qld, SA, NSW in that order.

Reply #301195 | Report this post

Womble  
Years ago

Vic girls, arnt Herrington and Lavey injured? Leaves room for a few more. Wonder who??

Reply #301401 | Report this post

New Squads  
Years ago

Ankles
Looks a though Haughton Not back for QLD, I think that will have an impact for them.

Bunton to Tassie will make them a threat or at least close to forcing an upset perhaps!!

Reply #301402 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

Womble - injuries with the AIS girls are always the wildcard. Lavey has been hobbled most of this year hasn't she?

New Squads - Haughton not back for Qld will be a loss (apparently there's some history with the coach as well as being a part of the Fire's rotation - at least she was earlier in the season, doesn't seem to be getting so many minutes now). Could do with the backcourt strength of the Qld Sth 18's (Donnelly, Mahangakia, Trinder, Gajewski are all ADC quality).

Bunton to Tasmania? Hadn't heard that. Do you know why? I saw a reference to an article quoting Carrie Graf calling her a Tuggeranong girl and saying she'd like to see her in a Caps uniform. If that's the case then they become very big and strong (Roberts and Bunton) so it'll be a matter of whether they have some guards who can hold their own and make the most of that strength.

Interesting contrasts - Vics with lots of 6' girls, athletic, long and skilled but not much genuine length. Qld with length and mobility (Tippett, Allen and Payne are all 6'2 and mobile). Tas with the two biggest, strongest bodies in the tournament. SA and NSW a bit of a mixture - a big body or two and some athletcism and length but no one real strength to go to.

Vics still the favourites (even without Herrington and Lavey they still start an All-Australian group potentially) but with Bunton and Roberts together the battle for the minors tightens up. I think it has most potential to impact SA and NSW who dont have much genuine lenghth whereas Qld has talls that have consistently matched up against the two bigs.

Reply #301426 | Report this post

New Squads  
Years ago

Yes No ACT so tassie sort permission to play her.

Unusual , but better a kid plays IMO.

Vic has too many guards for the spots available ankles.

Try
Zammit
Cole
Garrick
Williamson
Lavey
Herrington
Clydesdale
Allen

All played for Australia!!
Someones gunna miss out!

Reply #301437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please ignore my ignorance but what do you mean Sa has no genuine length? I thought Thompson was about 6'2 Corrigan 6'4 Richards is over 6' Spencer not sure of height but a strong body. Doesn't this equate to length and the first two are athletic from what I've seen

Reply #301442 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

New Squads - Depth has never really been a probelm for the Vics has it! Your tips for the backcourt spots (or the team for that matter)?

442 - everything's relative. Not having a go at the SA players (or anybody else for that matter) but Corrigan would be the only genuine 'tall' I would think in that group. Thompson is long (although maybe not 6'2) but would be out of position matching up against any of the 'genuine' talls in this group - Bunton, Roberts, Tippett, Payne, Lepaio.

While a 6'er is long by most standards there are a plethora of long, talented talls born in 93 who are bottom-agers in this group. Not so many 92 birthdays (hence they took Lepaio as the sole 'tall' to France earlier in the year when the 93's were excluded).

Whilst the Vics don't have many 'genuine' talls (Vandenburg (6'4) might be about it) Blicavs is probably nearly 6'2 but plays in the 3 spot (will probably move to the 4 in this group) and Fadlejevic is an under-sized big at about 6'.

Compare that to Tassie who will now have Bunton at 6'5 and Roberts at 6'3, Qld who'll have Tippett and Allen at 6'3 and Payne at 6'2 and suddenly a 6'er being forced to play inside is starting to feel small.

While Thompson is certainly athletic most of the girls at this level are so being undersized but athletic helps but not as much as it did when they were playing Under 18 rep.

Reply #301455 | Report this post

New Squads  
Years ago

well the ijury status of lavey/herrington makes a massive change, but lets try.

Garrick
Cole
Herrington(or Lavey assuming 1 is injured)
Clydesdale
Blicavs
Allen
Rosie
Stonehouse
Sheedy

Leave out Williamson and Zammit and bring in 1 more big?? Or 1 of the above plus no big?
Either way its a great group

Reply #301486 | Report this post

Womble  
Years ago

New Squads, not sure if Rosie or Sheedy will get in. Some good players out there. Should be interesting. Anyone elses thoughts on the Vic girls team.

Reply #301509 | Report this post

Vic watcher  
Years ago

Williams a certainty to play(even tip for Cap)..Rosie will struggle to make it...Bontempelli(Aus 3 on 3) left out ?

Reply #301512 | Report this post

Womble  
Years ago

Just cause you're in the Gems squad doesnt mean your a definite? Players change from U14s to U20. Look with eyes wide open coaches with regards to Vic girls. Werent Zammit and Williamson in as bottom ages last year? Leaves one spot possibly.

Cole
Allen
Lavey/Herrington (If both injured should take
another big)
Blicav
Garrick
Clysdale
Stonehouse
Zammit
Wiliamson
McBean? as 5 man?

Reply #301517 | Report this post

reality  
Years ago

It's a pity that just because some players seem to have made this team or that team previously or even AIS for that matter make them any a better a player than many others going around. That coaches feel whether it be obliged or fearful of not pushing the same old players through. A lot of these girls get their opportunties through association rather than performance at a young age and are then pushed through at every opportunity rather than actual performance. While their are some talented players in this age group, some must enjoy the magic carpet ride. Some have been getting a free ride since under 16's without actually producing or performing consistantly at VC or any level above. Particulary one or two of the Dandenong girls as stated who really struggle to hold their own but always seem to be pushed forward. It makes these farcial tryouts pointless for the kids who are out performing for selectors with blinkers. more and more people don't even bother as their is not even any prestige associated with these achievements through the political interference rather than straight out ability.

Reply #301557 | Report this post

Womble  
Years ago

You hit the nail on the head "reality". I totally agree with you. Do coaches bypass an AIS player for a possible late developer outside of the AIS, doesnt look good for AIS selectors. Am I right.

Reply #301568 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Reality - my gosh you could be talking about ball in SA summed it up perfectly happenhs in the boys too!!

Reply #301574 | Report this post

Vic watcher  
Years ago

Fantastic reply "reality".I couldnt agree more.I want to know when a coach is goig to go on their own thoghts rather than to continue a process started at U/14 level.Some of the players menioned were the stand outs in Vc then but since have hardly started a riple at VC level and yet to win a thing but keep on getting rolled out time an time again.
I would like to see the AIS team play in the nationals a a team and see how they go...they might be glad to win some games
We might as well pick the Austraian opals from the best 20 at the club chamionship in the U/14 becaue no change is ever made.Is the Ais the best way to develop players on a full time scholarshp.they go there and hardly play a game against their peers and then play WNBL and are not evn compeitive with the excuse they are young.Would they not be better going part time up there ,still playng VC and play as a team in SEABL.
That way they are still exposed to the AIS system but can develop and ohers can show their worth against the supposed best.
Can someone comment on a situation alive at the moment
Player A knocks back n AIS spot...Player B accepts that spot.....now both are trying out for a state team and play same positon...who gets the nod?

Reply #301661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are more opportunities and perks in coaching than opportunities for players. If you take the SA scene, 3 or 4 clubs provide the coaches in the main for SASI and State. In SA coaches from those clubs dictate who gets the nod in state teams etc.
We have had a decade of overlooking a lot of talent to accommodate vested interests. Privately, I believe, this is the view of many in SA basketball but fear of rocking the boat keeps it said only in whispers.

Reply #301663 | Report this post

Croweater  
Years ago

Is Shaun Bruce still eligible for vic mens? Saw him at a couple of nationals he was a stud!

Reply #301675 | Report this post

Womble  
Years ago

Wont be long now before the vic team girls will be up. Will I be surprised? I dont think so.

Reply #301681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one has mentioned vandenburg, is she still playing?

Reply #301685 | Report this post

Vic watcher  
Years ago

Not trying out ..would not make it in my opinion .Squad trained last 2 days...next session on Sunday

Reply #301686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

663 - who is it in SA do you think was looked over in favor of "vested interest"? It's a pretty big statement to make, do you think the girls selected aren't worthy of their spots on the team, is there someone else who should be there instead?

Reply #301696 | Report this post

anony  
Years ago

just an eg of players going through and there talent and this eg would be one of hundreds before the excuses come out how can a team that has 5 state players (6 previous years) 4 in the Australian u/17 team (2 making the 3 on 3 youth olympics) not win a VC grandfinal nor medal at classics against teams that have mabe 1 player in state or( emergency ) the same team was beaten a couple of times by the same teams as i said one eg AIS WNBL how can someone play for 25 min and only have 5 turnovers as there stats, there are young players playing against older players in big v ,seabl ect that are doing much better, i think these players will end up being the future not the ones who have been handed everything and in most cases from 16s up have not had to even try at tryouts with alot just sitting out cause there tired and sore. i am not saying the players are not good just handy players in alot of cases

Reply #301703 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

so Vic posters - is the consensus that the Vic girls will go without a big body at all? Blicavs as their biggest player?

They better be shooting the ball well and forcing lots of backcourt turnovers because if they get into a half-court game they may well struggle against the length of some of the other teams.

Reply #301704 | Report this post

Womble  
Years ago

Yes, Blicavs may be their biggest player but she play as a 3/4 at the AIS, what does that mean with regards then to the state team and her position there. Does she then play a 4/5? Just because you're not 6f 3 doesnt mean you cant do well against tall competition.
Have seen it many a time.

Reply #301722 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

From my point of view its a matter of whether you create mismatches that can be exploited. Sure - undersized players can guard players bigger than them, its a specialty of Vic teams I'd suggest.

But if you are going against a team with more bigs than you and they are smart enough to exploit it, that can present problems. Sarah Graham was exploited thus in a WNBL game recently. Whomever she was guarding simply took her down into the low post and was either fouled or scored.

So if Blicavs is guarding Roberts, who's going to take Bunton - somebody smaller again and there's your mismatch.

Against most teams you can get away with it but when you come up against a quality team in the final it might make the difference. Mind you, the mismatches go the other way as well. Can a big body (true 5) step out to the perimeter and guard an athletic 3/4 like Blicavs?

So am I right in hearing Vandenburg didn't trial and Fadlejevic might miss out?

Reply #301733 | Report this post

nth v sth  
Years ago

considering what I hear and the rep club they both play for they dont need to trial and will be in team anyway

Reply #301738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blicavs is athletic but there in ends the story.

Reply #301743 | Report this post

Womble  
Years ago

Yes you are right, Vandenberg didnt tryout, not interested this year. And I doubt that Fadljevic has any chance of getting in. Theres just no more room after AIS's and last years bottom ages are put in. Maybe room for one. There's going to have to be quite a few emergencies this year.

Reply #301768 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Do SA have much strength?

Reply #301949 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Check posting on 21 December re SA girls team.

Reply #302025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how did not try out equal not interested ?

Reply #302086 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Not interested to tryout. Whats the diff.

Reply #302140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or saw the writing on the wall and didn't waste her time.

Reply #302142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

one is her decision, one is somebody made decision for her

Reply #302145 | Report this post

nth v sth  
Years ago

Re:

Reply #301743
re: under 20 state team named
Blicavs is athletic but there in ends the story.

mmust help when family on the board..and the smoke and mirrors ontinue

Reply #302153 | Report this post

reality  
Years ago

Nearly two years ago i attended a coaching clinic held by Patrick Hunt when in walked Blicav with her father. I happened to be standing two feet from them as they ran into each other. After introductions the conversation went a little like this. "Hi sarah, i have heard so much about you, me and your dad go way back. Maybe one day we might see you at the institute just like your dad". Approx two weeks later, straight on a plane and to the tute. Never having to endure the NITC program or such - just pass go!
While being athletic, has never been court smart, and has never been near dominant within her own age group in VC. This is only part of how i had come to Reality.
As for the dandy girls, silver platter service.
Vandenberg - unco-ordinated, Fadlejevic - terrible and can't dribble a basketball still. Kasser - don't even consider, all have made under 14 teams and every team or squad since while never seeming to improve. All others OK. While i don't mean to be judgemental towards the girls, when they are placed on peddlestools when never seeming to earn their spots, and with the ridiculous processes in place you are put in the line of fire to be judged. With Cheryl Chambers now at Dandenong obtaining the Gems squad, these dandenong girls are now on the training squad - perfect examples. If people don't speak their peace, it just makes it that much easier to be unaccountable. Wake up Basketball, be more accountable!!!

Reply #302159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will be interesting to see if blicavs can step up at the tute now that the only two stars have left, Tippett and Payne. Hopefully our SA girls will do well, go SA good luck

Reply #302160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surnames will always count for more than talent in basketball but we are not orphans in that respect, just a small fry sport where nepotism is more obvious.

Reply #302162 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Does anyone know when Tessa Lavey is going to be training with the U20 Vic state squad or is she going to be just going to Championships. For gods sake just take someone whom you can play and is not recovering from an injury. Pleny to choose from at home.

Reply #302169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely the Vics will name the team soon, the draw is already up and still no team, the suspense is killing me.

Reply #302171 | Report this post

nth v sth  
Years ago

Team to be selected next weekend aftr more sessions..oops I should say announced(was picked before tryouts started)
Ais players attended 2 sessions in total..still another 14 r so expected to turn up.Tess onlt at tute as another knoked it back

Reply #302253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

to reality
How about you put your daughters name up and then we can give a reality check :)

Reply #302254 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Surely coach can tell by now who she's going to put in. How many AIS girls are there and who and how many non AIS left?

Reply #302272 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Anonymous 254- dont like if when the truth is out there? Nothing wrong with reality's post - goes on in every state, boys and girls. Got a name - got a free ride, its that simple.

Reply #302273 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Have all other states names their teams?

Reply #302275 | Report this post

nth v sth  
Years ago

7 AIS + 14 others(4 or 5 in this group who have played for Australia in some form of basketball plus 2 from last years team and a couple who were emergency,)
And thats ony the known names let alone those that have genuine claims through their achievements at vc

Reply #302276 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

7 AIS? Arnt Kerry Harrington and Tessa Lavey injured. Dont think much of Alex Sheedy. Just a player, nothing special.

Reply #302284 | Report this post

nth v sth  
Years ago

injured?...when has that stopped selection..lol

Reply #302285 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Exactly, if thats what the AIS produces with regards to Sheedy why bother going, better coaching/players in Vic metro.

Reply #302287 | Report this post

nth v sth  
Years ago

No arguements here

Reply #302305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck to all the girls trying out
hope they all have a good time

Pity we have that tall poppy syndrome

Have the cry babys nothing better to do than pick on children behind their anonymous names

Would this not be online bullying ?

PS. I bet none of you would say anything to the face of the parents

Reply #302310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No I don't agree with you re online bullying. I don't think it's a personal attack of the girls but more of the system. It seems to be in a great deal of cases that it's irrelevant how hard you work or that you may be as good as some of the tute girls, it comes down to who you know, and that's just not fair to all players. A lot of kids get a free ride year after year and don't do anything to deserve it merely have the correct surname.

Reply #302316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is it not a personal attack when you name the children and then say they cannot play and the only reason they got to where they are is because their parents

Reply #302327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No I still don't think it's a personal attack, you're being a bit of princess, a major problem in society today, we have bred a bunch of sooky la la who can't take any criticism. A fact is a fact regardless of what you label it. Tall poppy syndrome is another story yet again. It can be quite frustrating for a young person who works their guts out for selection, perhaps makes the squad maybe not, is just as talented if not more than the kid with a parent that played for australia. It's just unfair that these young kids don't get the same chance as the walk in.. Having a talented parent does not always transfer to the kids no matter how much pushing is involved.

Reply #302331 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

So true, so true. Strange how sometimes you dont have to name names and people know who your talking about.

Reply #302336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grettel Tippet signs with Logan?
Doubt she will play 20's!
Nadeen Payne with Townsville, she probs wont play 20's either.
Jillian Haughton, Nicole Seekamp? will any of these contracted players be playing 20's???

Reply #302615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares!

Reply #302625 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Both girls have been named in QLD's U20 team, I suppose thats why there are emergencies to cover the possibility of players not playing. Townsville's not likely to make finals, so why wouldnt Nadeen Payne or Jillian play 20's, dont know about Tippett, time will tell. Adelaide arnt looking to good for finals so who knows if Seekamp will play 20s. By the way, some people like to know these things.

Reply #302632 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

Tippett named to 20's before signing with Logan, who will probably make the finals so that casts a doubt over her availability. Olaf is a very serious man!

Payne will probably be available as Townsville wont be in the Finals.

Haughton didn't make herself available of the 20's so she wont be going.

My tip would be Payne yes, Tippett and Haughton no.

Karaitiana and Nicholson in the same boat with Sydney but I would expect both to play as Sydney might struggle to be in the finals. If they are, then Ash K out, Nicholson in at 20's.

If it all falls that way then there's a logjam fighting for 2nd behind the Vics. Puts Tassie with Bunton and Roberts right in the mix for the top four I think.

Reply #302682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tassie has always had Roberts and adding bunton to the mix only makes two good players, they can't do it alone

Reply #302692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. Williamson
1. Clydesdale
2. Cole
2. Zammit
3. Garrick
3. Blicav
4. Allen
4. Stonehouse
5. Sheedy
5. ???

McBean not in

Reply #302802 | Report this post

nth v sth  
Years ago

Agree with your selection even though I think some players are still there on reputation only,but will be selected.I hope Pierce from Bulleen is last selection..and no I am not related but has been unlucky in the past until last year and very deserving of opportunity

Reply #302874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lavey / Harrington?

Reply #302884 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Thought Herrington was injured and out for a while and Lavey, but for how long?

Reply #302890 | Report this post

Country Cousin  
Years ago

Lavey the most overrated and constantly injured should not make team and shouldnt even be at tute apart from another not going..would not have made Vic metro junior teams

Reply #302898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harrington left out accidently will be quick and gutsy team but very physical.

1. Williamson
1. Clydesdale
2. Cole
2. Zammit
3. Harrington
3. Garrick
4. Blicav
4. Stonehouse
5. Allen
5. Sheedy or Pierce

Reply #302909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with you,but how about we spell her name correctly Pearce..

Reply #302927 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

If you guys are correct..all 3 of the players who represented Australia at the recent 3 on 3 internetional games will miss state team.

Reply #302974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weren't the girls selected in the 3 on 3 only because they were not selected for the U17 team.

Reply #302975 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

sounds right to me.

Reply #302983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely too if they were good enough they would have been selected into the GEMS tour to NZ for Oceania Qualifier, yes???

Reply #302985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most states could name better state teams than those chosen by selecting on merit without fear or favour but until there is a clean out of the present power brokers in all states, teams will continue to hit the court with good players but not the best players.

Reply #302998 | Report this post

In The Dark  
Years ago

After watching interstate teams come over to vic for tournaments it is funny who we rate from SA for example and then they either dont get picked or get a bits and pieces role.I am sure interstate visitors also see players from teams in Vic metro and find it hard to imagine them not getting selected either.
As one poster said earlier we should stop complaining and let the girls enjoy themselves..well I know a couple that would enjoy it a hell of a lot more if they thought that the team was picked on its merit.
I wonder why we even have tryouts..tryout to do what?Ithought playing every week against each other was a tryout.

I like the idea of the AIS team playing as one team.The vic team would be an interesting game against them.(if the AIS had enough players who were not injured or too tired).
Amazes me when you hear how tired they are...Doing what?...I still suggest local Vic players ,train more sessions,play more games,and are under the spotlight more when assessing their performances.Most would play 18 or 20,D or Youth league,School rep,school b/ball programs,ITC or similar and train seabl/Big V or WNBL.
Thats before p/time work and school and travel to all the above.Maybe I am in the dark and dont appreciate how difficult it is to live,train,and school or at the one venue

Reply #303000 | Report this post

In The Dark  
Years ago

AIS vs Dandenong tonite,Ais 34 Turnovers and 3 assists...Great guards

Reply #303025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems like it's an open secret that basketball selections are done in the dark in more ways than one.

Reply #303052 | Report this post

bitter pills  
Years ago

From my experience the only people who suggest teams aren't picked on merit are the parents of those that miss out...

Reply #303097 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

From my experience the only people who think that the selections are picked on merit are the ones in the team, actually thats not all true,ive know many people over the years that are in the team, and they also have said that not the best have been picked, but they are just glad there kids in so they dont say anything, and thats the way the world roles

Reply #303100 | Report this post

bitter pills  
Years ago

it seems i've struck a nerve - your son/daughter missed out huh anon...

Reply #303125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is team announced yet ?

Reply #303292 | Report this post

thomas  
Years ago

Basketball has alot of misjudgment when it comes to selections. These are kids you are complaining about and do you think they care what you think.? AIS or not they obviously proved themselves to coaches and everyone for their selections. If your kid doesn't make it its not the end of the world and they obviously haven't proved themselves. The best players don't always get picked by talent they get picked by the guts and determination they have. It takes years to become the best you can be. This is junior level, we are left still waiting to see the real stars of basketball in Australia because at this age coaches think they have the potential to not only be great but to be a star.

Reply #303343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

YEa I was always surprised when Creek, Drmic, HadziomervicABC made a Vic State team..... What were selectors thinking!?!!?

Reply #303372 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

Zammit,clysedale stonehouse mcbean,Rudeinare some left out that I have been told ...Not sure of team put I am led to beleve ALL AIS members in team

Reply #303377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RE:YEa I was always surprised when Creek, Drmic, HadziomervicABC made a Vic State team..... What were selectors thinking!?!!?

And I wasnt suprised when Bogut couldnt make a team !!!!

Reply #303385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zammit,clysedale stonehouse are all in the Under 19 Gems squad, how does this happen and who made it in over these girls?

Reply #303387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ais (6 players without leavy)...Pierce,rosie,bontempelli,williamson

Reply #303400 | Report this post

Vi C poster  
Years ago

Official Vic Team Link
http://www.basketballvictoria.com.au/fileadmin/user_upload/PDF_FLYERS_BV/Media_Release-_2011_U20_Vic_Women_s_team_announced.pdf

Reply #304544 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

In the dark: You have no idea about AIS players or their schedule. Dont comment if you dont know! Thes kids are training a lot harder than the ones at home and also dont have on hand the ready made emotional support from home. If you or yours havent been there you cant possibly comment.

Reply #304811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck to all players representing their states.Congratulations on your selection.

Reply #304815 | Report this post

In the Dark  
Years ago

How do you presume I dont know AIS schedule.I still say there are players at home states plating and training more than these players.Please fill me in...who do the actually compete against when they are expcted to perform?...WNBL is a given to expect nothing an get lucky and win a couple.they NEVER have to compete against their contempraries to justiy thier selecton.I would still argue that full tme AIS is not the best system for player identifcation and development

Reply #304821 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I have seen the AIS training and agree with in the dark. The training of some kids - VC / school / Dleague / seabl or similar with games and trainings far outway the AIS Schedule in comittment as well as developement. Here the kids in VIC play at the highest and toughest level continually to develope their game on court against other high quality kids. AIS train against themselves which i think definately couldn't be as good, as everyone knows half the players there aren't there for their talent or ability. That's why i always thought AIS is for people who need the extra training just to catch up.

Reply #304831 | Report this post

Outer East  
Years ago

I also agree with In the dark.There are quality coachs within the Vic Metro area who are conducting programs that are longer and more intense than the AiS( Yes I do have experience in this area)
You say that the players there have no moral support,what about the extra work locals have to do, and are not catered for, and and dont have medical support Most have casual jobs as well as school.Our cub identified that some players are involved in training or playing 36 hours a week (includes 5 games)

Reply #304918 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Note: In The Dark and Outer East posting from the same computer.

Reply #304920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The AIS does have an intensive and demanding program which some find difficult to adjust to. But whether it's effective and has both the 'best' players and coaches available is a very debatable issue.
Women's basketball is a conundrum because it has no set criteria for selections and as such can't ever be quantified - fantastic for those selected and the selectors but fuels the nepotism debate. However it is dreadfully inequitable and guaranteed to disappoint just about every one who believes that talent wins through.

Reply #304926 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

"Note: In The Dark and Outer East posting from the same computer"

thats scary one body 2 HEADS......

Reply #304928 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:01 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754