NBA legend Allen Iverson keen for Sydney Kings finale

Topic #24587 | Report this topic

A.W  
Years ago

would love to see that!

Reply #300990 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

He plays for money! Unless he loves Rodney O a lot & money is no longer an issue to him it would b great 4 our league. I still love his game!

Reply #300991 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Guy can play no doubt and would put bums on seats

Reply #300993 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Would be simply awesome for not only the Kings, but for the profiel of the NBL as well. As Mystro said, it would put a hell of a lot of bums on seats and increase the TV audience as well.

Now if only AI would agree to a contract that would fit him into the NBL's salary cap...hmmmm

Reply #300996 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

If money is not going to be an issue, this will be awesome for our league and he'll definitely help fill the venues.

Reply #300998 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Hell Yeh! i was wondering this all along saying it would be awesome to have some superstars come into the league but we dont have the salaries to go with it. promotion wise it would be huge! fingers crossed.

Reply #300999 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I would like to see it happen, just in case he averages 11/3/5 and Paul's thoughts on the strength of the NBL are vindicated!

Reply #301001 | Report this post

Dangermouse  
Years ago

lower the salary cap, allow 1 marquee player per team outside the cap

Reply #301002 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

I doubt he would have any idea how little he would get paid.

Reply #301003 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Dangermouse, if you lower the salary cap, your average Australian player's salary drops. Most of those guys are on less than 100k now - pay them less and see how many want to stay around.

On another note, the marquee player thing barely works in my view. In a-league, which i loosely follow, I could not name you a single marquee player this year. I am sure the football community can name their overseas players, but not all of those are marquee players.

Reply #301004 | Report this post

Dangermouse  
Years ago

If each team has their top player outside the cap, if anything the rest of the teams salaries could rise, depending how much reduce the cap by. Teams that can afford a 'marquee' player then have room to land a big fish if they can. We could potentially bring back one of our best Aussies playing in Europe.

Scoring some big names would be great for the league, and doesnt necessarily have to impact other players. Teams that don't want to spend more, can just leave their top payed player outside the cap.

Reply #301006 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Perhaps a possibility is to reduce the salary cap by the average import salary payment and take 10 points off of the limit. Allow a second import with unrestricted rules. For those teams operating on a budget, they could still have a second import around the current $$ amount but those that could afford more, the opportunity would be there.

Reply #301007 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

It said that he wants to do after his 2 year contract ends in Turkey, so he'd be 37 when that happens. Is he the automatic MVP favourite if he comes over at 37? Obviously he's not the player he was 10 years ago (one of the best handful of players on the planet) but would he still have enough to dominate out league?

You'd have to think he'd be an upgrade on Gary Ervin who's probably the favourite for this year's MVP, but what if he's not?

Reply #301008 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

maybe introduce some kind of new cap rule about ex-NBA All stars granting some kind of exception from cap with government funding huh.

Know this is easier said then done but hey, imagine what this can do for ball.

Reply #301009 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

why do we have a salary cap AND a points system???

Don't the both do the same thing in reality?

I think teams should be more creative with the use and payment of imports...

* wait until a 1/3 of the season is gone then sign an import
* only get 1 import and spend twice as much
* any other ideas?

Reply #301010 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I like the train of thought there LA Boy, would be a hard sell, but might be something to work with there.

Try and convince the poli's that they might be able to make a new friend ala Media Mike and his buddy Lance.

Reply #301012 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

The problem if you change the salary cap rule is that we reintroduce teams winning championships then collapsing before the start of the new season. not sure im so fond of that. however if the league improves and gets bigger and makes money then id be all in favour of pushing that cap up.

Reply #301014 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

DJ Rod, salaries are hard to monitor. which is why the point system is there too. Salary is one thing but then there are bonuses that clubs can give which comes out of there pocket but essentially isnt part of the 'salary' and it drives clubs broke. Look at the Storm it took them too long to figure that out. where as if they had a points system and all those guys are superstars they wouldnt have been allowed to keep them because they would have breached the points system.

Reply #301015 | Report this post

Dangermouse  
Years ago

With the quality of alot of the NBL's imports this season, it wouldnt be a bad idea to go 1 import and spend up big on someone top notch.

Reply #301016 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

As good as it would be for putting bums on seats, why would you change all the rules regarding salary and points cap just so Sydney can get an old and by that time he's ready to come down under, washed up ex NBA player. After all the financial uncertainty of a lot of the Teams in the league I would just stick to the current setup until all the Teams are in a financial position to change the cap ect.

Reply #301017 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Rod, can't teams already do those things now?

I don't think we stand to get real marquee names until they're on their last legs. We might get higher-calibre players (Donta Smith, Ere, etc) but those aren't quite the types to get blanket media coverage.

Reply #301018 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Mystro for the simple fact of improving this league financially. I think its a good marketing idea!

Reply #301019 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Definitely a great marketing idea. but i agree that we shouldnt change our rules so we can get him. Either take the pay cut and enjoy being in a english speaking country with a starting role or dont play. lets be honest if Iverson is smart which i dont know if he is or isnt he should have a tonne of money from the NBA and more recently Turkey, yeh he would take a pay cut in the NBL but is it really that hard to live off 200K? if he doesnt like the pay then i say dont let him play. we dont want teams going bust for an old superstar.

Reply #301024 | Report this post

KEVY47  
Years ago

Did he really say that on twitter? He's been pretty quiet on there.

Or was this lack of investigation from the paper - simply seeing someones fake post on Kings facebook?

Reply #301028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it would be great to have someone with such horrible values and an even worse attitude come play in the NBL. How does that make the NBL look good???

Reply #301029 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Kev, as soon as I read the article I went straight to his Twitter page on the was no mention on there about Sydney. Saying that they might have been on there and since as deleted them as not to offend his current team.

Reply #301030 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Interesting. Iverson and Ogilvy are averaging about the same number of points on that team.

Reply #301031 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

King james, I am all for the league going forward but not at the expense of teams with smaller fan bases.
I love the fact that the Teams from the big cities ie Melbourne and Sydney are bottom of the table currently.

Reply #301032 | Report this post

BRING IT !

Reply #301034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kirk Penny for MVP BEBE!

Reply #301035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mystro- so basically everything you said before this post

"King james, I am all for the league going forward but not at the expense of teams with smaller fan bases.
I love the fact that the Teams from the big cities ie Melbourne and Sydney are bottom of the table currently."

are all irrelevant because this is the true reason you're against the changing salary cap...please don't be so narrow minded and look at the bigger picture.

Reply #301039 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

To me that article says he wants to come to Australia, and Sydney is the only city he could think of when questioned about it.

Reply #301041 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

So that we can just have two maybe 3 rich teams from the big cities with stacked as teams that no other smaller city could afford win 1-2 titles before going belly up and taking everyone else with them as all the smaller teams will have to run budgets that they really can't afford to be almost competitive, yup sounds like an awesome long term strategy to improve basketball. then we are back to a year or two ago minus the washed up old NBA players.
If you are that desperate to watch washed up old NBA guys book a flight to China and save the NBL a heap of hassle and cash

Reply #301043 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

all good for the game down under but inclusion to national team

Reply #301045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mystro- the fact that a big name like Iverson will increase ticket sales, price and media attention is enough to make the league much stronger than ever. needless to say the sponsorship deal that will come with that.

China has never really had a name like Iverson either. he's the first mega star really hitting oversea. so the scale of ball player you are talking about

so stop your obssession with small market teams, and start look at things for the betterment of the league from exposure standpoint. you can't ask for more exposure for the league by acquiring somebody like Iverson. imagine you look up NBA website and see "Iverson going to Australian league", helping NBL gain international attention. So either get a pair of glasses or get laser treatment for your eyes.

Reply #301048 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Would he be worth the expense though? Would he perform, or would he be average like he is in Turkey? How long would he hang around for? What happens when he is gone?

For the right price it would be good, but it is not worth risking a team's viability by spending big on someone who might not bring much of a return.

The idea of spending big on one import might make sense, but if you can get two good Aussies or one good Aussie and one good import for the same money as one 'marquee player', your team will be better so I am not sure too many clubs will do it (in fact, none do).

When you consider international style basketball, Kirk Penney is one of the best going around, so you will struggle to get a player much better than him no matter how much you spend.

For the right price, someone like Iverson would be good - for millions it is not even worth considering.

Reply #301053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think up to $1m is worthwhile to pay for somebody like Iverson. But only with government help is my take. if it's club alone, $500~$700k will be reasonable? But definitely not millionS

Reply #301057 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

$500K is a lot for someone who might not perform. I would say $500K with government assistence, not that the debt ridden NSW govt would be likely to help, surely?

Reply #301058 | Report this post

Jack  
Years ago

Would love to see Iverson come here - and get torn up.

Roll out the red carpet, send someone over to see him, do everything you can to get him into this league.

It would be phenomenal for all involved.

But you can't bump the rules.

Reply #301059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think to sign somebody like Iverson you're not asking him to be a major performer he once was, you're simply buying the name.

I mean he'll still give you 15~20 a night no problem, which is pretty much what some import do right now. but you're buying the name.

Reply #301062 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The risk would be that he brings 10-12 PPG, the fanfare evaporates, the incoming fans bail after a few games, and Iverson trudges on miserably to another league. But would that damage the NBL?

"NBL didn't do enough to keep him happy."

"NBL can only get washed-up has-beens."

I remember a bit of the latter when Price came out and when the Rodman rumours were going around.

Reply #301071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think the benefits will far outweigh the unlikely risk you're talking about

Reply #301079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Risks are Sydney go broke.

- far outways any benefit.

Reply #301090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they are not going to go broke because Iverson will bring enough back in sponsorships and ticket sales etc.

Reply #301092 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I doubt it. Unless he tears it up, the novelty factor (and therefore crowds) will evaporate very quickly, and I just can't see him being that dominant.
The first time he plays Perth, Marto & Robbo will hold him to 3/17 shooting and 8 turnovers, then he'll go play Townsville and Hinder will tunnel him & break is wrist, and suddenly the massive investment ain't providing much return.

Putting aside the fact that this seems to just be a hoax to generate publicity and divert attention away from Sydney's underperforming management & coaching, this is a bad idea anyway IMO.

Reply #301096 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Would BA pay Iversons salary, knowing what he could bring to the league?

Perhaps in return for rating him a 12 for player points so the Kings dont have such an advantage?

I would think BA would do anything they could to get this kind of exposure.

Reply #301098 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

National TV news ran the new Iversonism story across the screen from 4.30pm to 5.30pm -
'NBL - NBA legend Allen Iverson wants to play for the Sydney Kings.'

Reply #301110 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The only question I have...

Who the hell is BEBE???

Reply #301114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

j

Reply #301154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This would be the only thing that would make Aussie's interested in the game of Basketball again. It will be like when Sydney FC signed Dwight Yorke or even David Beckham to the LA Galaxy, people will spark people's interest in the game. I hope this happens

Reply #301156 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Would be cool to have AI here, but only if he can still ball enough to impress the casual fan. If he comes over and plays like another crap import, potential new fans will quickly lose interest, the 5 mins of great NBL exposure will fade and the league will not benefit at all.

Reply #301158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should offer 2 give A.I the Sydney Kings for a 4 year contract. FAIR DEAL............ LETS GET MICHAEL JORDAN OUT OF RETIREMENT!!!!!!!!

Reply #301161 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Oh wise and all knowing Anon,obsession with smaller market teams, I'm actually a Breakers fan which has one of the larger markets in the NBL and is one of the most financially stable organizations in the league. These "smaller" market teams are very important to the success of the NBL.
Wow imagine looking on NBA.com and seeing Australia mentioned, that alone will bring sellout crowds to NBL games lol.

Reply #301173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sorry Breakers is not a big market team, it's just a solid team in the middle of the pack. getting name on nba.com is just an example of what's called exposure.

from the wise and knowing all annon

Reply #301196 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Breakers arguably receive the biggest exposure of all NBL clubs - with potential market of 4 mill, they are at least very close to being a big market team. No other team has brought their own tv deal.

Reply #301207 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

thank you paul, rest my case know it all

Reply #301224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"close" to a big market team. it still is no match to your Kings

Reply #301227 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Sorry Know it all Anon, where are the Kings and where are the Breakers on the table? The Kings have less wins than the Breakers have losses and everyone has to watch Sydney suck every week on T.V, that's awesome for the sport huh. next.........

Reply #301232 | Report this post

kb3  
Years ago

Has Daniel Eade got something right about this?

http://www.backpagelead.com.au/basketball/3380-iversons-ludicrous-nbl-hoax

Reply #301241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mystro- market has nothing to do with how a team is doing. Knicks suk but they're big market regardless. Kwame Brown period of Lakers, they suked but big market regardless. Learn your sh*t before reply

Reply #301288 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Kings still suck tho huh Anon Troll

Reply #301382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so what's your point? you're WRONG because they are still BIGGER market! and it has NOTHING to do with win-loss record.

Let's assume Kings and Breakers are tied for top 2 in the

Reply #301384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ladder, and if NBL has to choose one team to go dyfunct. want to make a bet who they'll pick

Reply #301385 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

where in this thread did I say that NZ was a bigger market than sydney? No where, I said that "NZ was one of the bigger markets in the NBL" and then I started mocking the Kings for being crap, I would say that Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and NZ would be the bigger markets in no particular order(have no idea about Australian Cities Populations).
dyfunct?

oh and Cool Story Bro.............

Reply #301411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you never directly mentioned NZ is bigger market than Sydney but you implied NZ is one of the few big market teams

"where are the Kings and where are the Breakers on the table?"-suggesting more wins=bigger market. why would you even mock them been crap if it has nothing to do with market?! you can start a new thread on that.

in a 9 team competition, you only really have 2 or 3 big market teams. and no NZ's not up there in comparison to your Melbourne and Sydney.

you might also need to see a neurosurgeon for loss of memory as well as optometrist now

get your disorders fixed BRO

In fact I might get a screen name "Dr" just for you

Reply #301492 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Cool Story, any cliff notes?

Reply #301603 | Report this post

Titan 91  
Years ago

I doubt if Iverson would be cleared by immigrationm due to his numerous dealings with the law in the States.

Reply #301643 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Hawks essentially have a young affordable Iverson in Ervin

Reply #301693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Irvin=Iverson???

you're out of your mind and really need to go see a doctor.

Reply #301723 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Rodney O says he's met Iverson all of once. Daily Telegraph (the source story) say they saw the non-existent tweets mentioned on an ESPN story - but where? Ogilvy (playing with Iverson in Turkey) said he was with Iverson when AI read about the article and said he never said anything of the sort about playing in Sydney.

Daily Telegraph, making stuff up?

Reply #301727 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Anon=Troll

Reply #301850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$1 million on a washed up ex-NBA star like Iverson would be well worth it for any team. he'd make that revenue back just in getting fans to come see him play.

As far as his contribution to the team... well Its unlikely he'd do anything that fantastic these days... He was a ball-hog in the NBA and I doubt much would have changed.

But has anyone heard any more on this... It sounded a little far-fetched when I first heard it...

Reply #303682 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

If you check the NBA website, Iverson did his ankle in the other night and is getting an MRI later this week.

If the ankle turns out to be done, then I doubt you'll see him anywhere; don't think his body can keep up with stresses put on during the game anymore.

Reply #303688 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, no truth to the story. If you assume $1m extra cost for him to play, 15 home games, $20/ticket, you'd need 3,000+ extra fans per game for every game to cover the cost.

Reply #303702 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:37 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754