Flinders80
Years ago

Import Contracts

Hi All

With all the imports that have been sacked so far I wanted to start a discussion on the type of contracts that are offered to imports. Please let me know if I'm wrong in my assumptions but when a team lets a import go they have to pay out his contract. Could teams try and do the following

Put their imports on a month/ 30 Day contract. If they are happy with the import than offer them a bigger contract after. I know this will cause some imports to not want to come to Australia but I'm sure this would make owners happy as the players would be playing to earn a contract.

Any other thoughts on this.

Topic #24614 | Report this topic

formerly  
Years ago

Import Player contracts are full of conditions and the conditions can be very specific. For example a player usually must maintain statistical averages for scoring and rebounding. Many players have conditions attached to practice session attendance, some players have behavioural conditions (usually no alcohol allowed for some guys known to have a prior problem).
If any of these conditions are breached (even ever so slightly) they can be used as means to end the contract without the requirement to pay the player out the remainder. For example Rod Grizzard had an injury clause that allowed him to be released without being paid out, Taj Mcullough failed to maintain his scoring and rebounding averages (no pay out either).
Imports take up an unbalanced portion of the money available to pay the entire player roster and so are generally held to much higher standards, sometimes imports are role players and have similar contracts to the locals however it is the exception rather than the rule.

Reply #301483 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Imports are employees just like any other foreigner coming to Australia. There are minimum conditions related to their visas which must be met.

Reply #301491 | Report this post

bang  
Years ago

NBL imports are no longer on 'no cut' deals, they even have to pay rent and buy their own car. they get a lump sum and must budget that like you and me.

the money is more but they must allow for car and rent, europe still offers the no cut deal but not here, most fired imports would get a months pay and see ya.

Reply #301505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

alot of imports sign month to month contracts already.

Reply #301602 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Why don't the NBL clubs buy 2 houses, one for each import?

Reply #301732 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Inflexible and not their business. Easier to rent and have a landlord take care of maintenance, any issues with wear and tear, etc.

Reply #301734 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:53 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754