quasi
Years ago

Credit to those on the improve....

I thought it was time to recognise the improvements that some players have made since last season. I was a big Brad Hill bagger last season as his decision making, defense and shot selection were shocking. However, after seeing all of the home games this season, I would have to say that the jumpshot has definitely improved and I haven't seen him try to run through the set defense once this year. Has made some nice assists to others at the right times as well. Defense I would say is still on the dodgy side, he seems to lose a bit of focus in the one-on-one match ups. All up though, a much improved player on last season.

Also Darren Ng. Granted Carter and more recently Shannon have been getting him the ball in position more often then previously, however much improved consistency all around this season. I liked that the last couple of games have shown him selling the fake a bit in order to get an easy 2. I also believe that he is in better position defensively this season than he was last year when he was guaranteed to be scored on. He's taken a couple of nice charges and even got a few steals as well, although granted there are still improvements to be made. Nice effort so far.

Having said that - credit to the coaches for development? Looks like so far based on individual improvement, they're doing a good job. Keep up the good work

Topic #24638 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Hilly has been the big improver this seaon. Ng has always been under rated, but is effective with the time he spends on court.

Reply #301916 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hill's improvements haven't really been noticed statistically, but you see them when watching his game. Looks more committed on defense and is less reckless. Hasn't taken a giant leap, but I think he's improved.

Reply #301919 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Ng's the biggest improvement in my book, mostly over the last 4 games. He seemed to always hesitate to take shots when he was under a bit of pressure but has been taking these more confidently lately. As stated above the way he is getting the ball is much better than previous seasons. I think his defence has been less..floppy as well, but its hard for his size to not look like he is just falling for the sake of it.

Reply #301926 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

I wouldn't say Ng's form has improved from last year to this year, but it has certainly improved since Eddie got here.

It's hard to have too many other improvers when they weren't even here last year so Hill wins I guess.

If you count JD then he's our most improved by a long, long way.

Reply #301959 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

I really like the improvements that both HillBilly and Darren Ng have made.

Hill appears to have done some off season work on his 3 point shooting, but also the mental aspects of his game which is his weakness has improved. He always starts the games brilliantly, and i just hope the coaching panel do not loose patience if he is not mentally on track when he returns to the floor from the bench for his subsequent spells.

Hg appears to have done work off season on his strength and fitness and he is now able to guard bigger and quicker players that he could last season. His weakness is his court vision, but as a catch and shoot big guard he really does not need to know where everyone is when the offence is clicking.

DJ started well, but has been hampered by a big toe infection which has held him back the last couple of games. He runs the floor very well, but longer term needs to get stronger, and be more alert on the glass for rebound opportunities.

Dowdell is a revelation for me, as i cannot recall his play at all at any of his other NBL teams.

Creek appears to be a fanatical hoopster, who just needs to get a good jump shot.

Reply #302001 | Report this post

Winitinaminute  
Years ago

Agree with those who have mentioned players like Hill Ng,Give Creek chance to hone his shooting skills under Clarke,Creeks good at D.Give the boy time he's only 18,few years under Clarkes rein he become a better shooter,knows the league players.Hill and NG have shot better this year than in past.

Reply #302028 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

B Fan, Dowdell was a soft big prone to throwing up threes (from memory). Stuck between a couple of positions. Has changed almost beyond recognition to now be a bit of an enforcer who shows patience, takes the three when it's there, etc. Was a widely panned signing and I was cautious at best (could see why they signed him, but probably wouldn't have signed him myself) but he's been perfect in his role.

Reply #302035 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:15 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754