Moses Guthrie
Years ago

Perth v Gold Coast

Sitting at home, watching Gold Coast host Perth on NYE and with the halftime score at 63-43, it's time for Moses to go on a tirade. If I'm a Gold Coast fan, I'm frustrated. They have no work ethic. They have players with no body tone that look "chubby like a baby" ala Paul Pierce (go on Boston fans, argue with me). If you're serious about your basketball and in the prime of your life, you should have one of two body tones - muscle tone like Pud or Pudds, or you're thin and just don't have that build. There's no excuse for average-looking untoned athletes like Goulding (get a haircut) and Worthington (who if he tried, would take this league apart - 20 points at halftime and he hasn't even raised a sweat). Joey nearly lost his *@#&ing marbles at the @*#$ing team in an early time-out. Stop standing around watching your teammates and do something. You have the ball in your hands for about 2 minutes a game. What are you doing the rest of the time? This is like the early episodes of Baywatch (which is airing at 4pm each day at the minute) - mildly enjoyable but if we're honest, it's painful to watch ..... but so much potential.

Meanwhile Perth do their thing with Martin, Lisch, Robbins, Tovey, Weigh, Redhage, Majok ..... this is the most one-sided game I've seen since Showdown I (sorry, had to get that in). Someone please let the Tassie Devils back in with Carfino, Stanley and Dennard or Geelong with Bruton, Crawford and Kardas. At least those teams had heart and character. Gold Coast are consuming oxygen that we could find a much better use for.

So frustrated right now. Should've gone to the Dome.

Topic #24647 | Report this topic

Bill  
Years ago

Given up watching at half time. Defensively Blaze are woeful. Not sure if they are trying to press or they are still getting back but it seems like they would be better advised to get back and find a Wildcat and mark him.
In the half court it looks like Perth can get to hoop anytime they choose.

Reply #302059 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

..... and then we turn around and they're only down by 2 points at 92-90, with Redhage fouling out and killing Perth in the process. Damn, this would be a frustrating team to follow. Perth get the win after Majok makes two massive blocks on Worthington in the last minute and a bit, final score 96-93,

Reply #302063 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Dodged a bullet there. Or should I say, Majok swatted the bullet the f@%# outta there.
They would have had us if they hadn't lost the plot quite so badly in the first half. Wortho was awesome but they just didn't go to him enough.

Reply #302064 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Lets not forget the Blaze have had to deal with a host of injuries this year with Harvey and Petrie out and then the late entrance of Cadee.
Can't be too harsh on them because their roster has undergone change after change and alot of young, inexperienced guys are getting court time like Keys and Garlepp.
I know that if the 36ers underwent the same injuries etc.people would be more forgivable.So why can't you do that for another team?

Reply #302068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Turned out to be a pretty close game and Majok brings some serious length & athleticism to the league that has been lacking.

A couple of nice dunks earlier and two monster blocks on Wortho late to seal the Dubya.

Reply #302090 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

Was at the game and had many of the same thoughts as above. Perth did shoot the lights out in the first half but at a professional level you'll do that when you 30 seconds to get the shot off! Imagine if Lisch could have hit the side of a barn tonight - they might have had 80 at the half!

Moses - you're dead right, they're not fit enough. There's two parts to being fit - the first is the physical side of things which allows you to contain or blow by your man, hold your ground on the block, beat the D down the floor (none of which we saw from GC tonight) but more importantly is the mental toughness you get from a) having done the hard work and b) being confident you have a physical advantage over your opponent. GC have had neither benefit in anygame I've seen this season.

As usual, Perth came out and 'put it on' GC physically (gee - that was a surprise) and we wanted none of it. Robbins, Martin amd Lisch are all asking to be sat on their bums with a 'brushback' when they stick their heads in and under your nose, but the GC wanted none of it - why do you think Clark spent half the night bringing the ball up - the guards couldn't/wouldn't handle the pressure.

Sure we'd love to have Petrie back and have had Cadee for the whole season but let's not kid ourselves Harvey would have given us anything we're missing (D, effort, penetration, athleticism). Vasljevic would be another big body but has always been a lottery from one play to the next.

We're not missing bodies, we're missing effort.

On paper we match up well - at least with starters - Martin or Gibson? Robbins or Hudson? Weigh or Goulding? Tovey or Worthington? Redhage or Clark? On paper they seem like a toss-up, after tonight you'd take 4 or 5 of the Perth starters for each position. I don't think there was a single match-up where the GC player was demonstrably physically superior to their opponent.

Perth were impressive in their structure and their aggression and thank goodness they came out of their zone to make the game interesting.

Reply #302092 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Damn good fightback for a team with conditioning issues.

Reply #302094 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

You always got the feel though that Perth would get up in the end. Blaze could not get stops and at the other end could get to the line when it mattered.
That shotblocker is fantastic for the league.
Weigh, Martin stepped up and those offensive boards in last quarter really killed the Blaze momentum.

Reply #302096 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I rrally think that given time and opportunity, Majok can become a very good player in the NBL. He brings to the league two things it currently lacks - serious length and athleticism. He put some nice dunks down in traffic, and those rejections late in the game were serious, particularly the one where Wortho intended to dunk.

Reply #302104 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Just watched the reply. If the Blaze could bring their second half intencity to every game, instead of only ever playing one half they would be almost unstoppable this year.
Those 2 blocks on Wortho couldnt have happened to a nicer guy...HUUGE - nice to see the second wasnt called a foul for once!

Reply #302134 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Agree re: Majok.
He brings the attributes of a College Basketball center/NBA Center...Athleticism, Finishing strong(dunk) and shot-blocking abilities.

Reply #302136 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:47 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754