Noob Baller
Years ago

Jump from which foot on a layup?

Ok, so generally on layups and really anything requiring jumping I will jump from my left foot. I understand that doing a layup you should jump from the opposite food according to the side you are doing the layup on. So does this mean that when I do a layup from the left side I should jump off my right foot?

May I point out, it is near impossible for me to do that as I seem to subconsciously time everything so that I jump from my left foot. :/

Topic #24662 | Report this topic

BigD  
Years ago

Opposite foot to hand (Left foot-Right hand...Right foot-Left hand). Helps you maintain balance and get higher off the ground.

Reply #302437 | Report this post

Noob Baller  
Years ago

Whenever I try to jump off my right foot the timing of when to stop dribling goes way off and I go all retarded, I literally cannot do it :/

Reply #302440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just keep practicing. Back when I played in high school I used to practice doing left handed lay ups jumping off my right foot all the time. Soon you'll be able to spin the ball the right way off the board with your opposite hand too. I got to the stage where I had no problems bringing the ball up the court with my left hand and even going behind the back with my left.

At my peak (lol) I could hit half court shots going around my back with my left hand with reasonable regularity.

Reply #302441 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

practice running hooks off your right foot/left hand before moving to the conventional layup. Allows you to start very close to the basket and take it at a pretty low speed to begin with. Helped me when I started out.

It's all practice though, your body's not incapable of doing it.

Reply #302443 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

It's not the most important skill in the world either. I know everyone wants to get the fundamentals right but I still use my right every time I go to the rim in a game situation, whether I use the left side of the backboard or come underneath to the right to avoid the block. Now that actually is a handy skill to master if you're a little guy too.

Reply #302444 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Practice makes perfect...the earlier a kid is taught the footwork involved in making right and left-handed layups the better. Top-age U10's is an ideal age to start teaching it as once earnt, teaching the kids other footwork and moves is much easier...

Reply #302445 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Ball and Foot timing is more important and will make learning layup footwork a lot easier. When you are dribbling in your right hand try to time it with the ball and your left foot hitting the ground at the same time. This means when you pick the ball up you will take your first right foot step and then a left foot jump for your right handed layup.

On the other side you want to time your ball and right foot hitting the ground thus when you pick the ball up you will take your first left foot step and then a right foot jump for your left handed layup.

Reply #302459 | Report this post

tyrel  
Years ago

Once you've got your feet right, its then time to focus on which hand lays it up- (left hand on left side, right hand on right side) this way if you're going for a lay-up on the left hand side and you shoot with your left there is less chance of being blocked and the defender has to come across you to block and they could also foul you!

Reply #302499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Try not dribbling the ball first - face the back board spin it back to yourself off the ground. As you catch it step with your left foor in the air, then step onto your right and then jump with your left knee up and shhot at the same time. I got my kids to talk it out, left right jump over and over and by U10's they had the footwork right although they struggled with strength in the left hand.

Another thought is when you are laying up on the left side are you dribbling with the left hand. If not that could be half the issue as well. Walk the dribble through and eventually it will come.

Reply #302538 | Report this post

Noob Baller  
Years ago

I'll point out that I can dribble great on my left hand, can shoot great with my left hand, I'm completely fine with my left hand. I just struggle jumping off my right foot.

I really don't see the point, I cannot see how jumping off the right foot when doing a left handed layup is any more beneficial than the left.

If anyone can give me a real reason why I should jump off my right foot when doing a left handed layup I'll happily practise it. If not I'd rather spend my time practising things that will improve my game. Cause I can't see how this will...

Reply #302581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you don't believe it works, fine, your game loses out.

Reply #302583 | Report this post

Noob Baller  
Years ago

I want you to tell me why it improves my game. If you don't know, there is no point taking advice from you.

Reply #302585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is a fundamental skill to be able to do layups off the correct foot. If a coach or anyone sees its off the incorrect foot they know you lack good fundamentals. Left hand layups off your right foot helps you maintain your balance and allows you to jump higher on your layup, try it yourself, which foot allows you to jump higher when doing a left hand layup. In a game if you have body contact while attempting a left layup, if you jump off your right foot you find it easier to maintain your balance.

Reply #302586 | Report this post

Noob Baller  
Years ago

Cannot jump higher off my right.

Reply #302588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have you even practised it while doing a left hand layup??

Reply #302589 | Report this post

Noob Baller  
Years ago

I'll be honest I've never really done any jumping whatsoever off my right foot. I assume thats the major factor in my weak jumping off that foot.

Seeing as it's considered a fundamental skill I suppose I oughta get out the back and practice.

Reply #302590 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

Hooray!

Reply #302655 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Sense and reason prevail...

Reply #302658 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

if your last step for a left hand layup is with your right foot , then you can step next to or even slightly behing the fronting defenders right foot, and prevent him/her from easily reaching across the front of your body for the ball on your "far side", as your right shoulder/leg/hip holds them away. If your last step is with your left foot , then 1) you have to step 'around" the defender to give room for your right leg to step past, else you go chest to chest and get a charge foul 2) it is easier for them to reach the ball in your left hand. 3) biomechanically it 'disengages" your shooting motion which is using your left arm and left ribcage/obliques from the stabilising/jumping motion of your right foot, calf, thighs, hips and right obliques. If it all occurs on the same side, you have both a balance problem and a restictive and even possibly excessive tearing/extending action all along one side of your body.

cheers

really do this best with a demonstration

Reply #302733 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

note , simple increases in co-ordination can result in 10-15% additional height in a one foot jump. So go practice !!

Reply #302734 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:55 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754