Tornado
Years ago

Ron Howard - Thoughts?

I am just wondering peoples thoughts on this guy thus far?

Topic #24664 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Dare say a few will have changed their minds since the first game.

Hard to judge anyone on that Tigers game. He's reliable from the stripe, so I'm hoping to see him take it inside a bit more to try and draw the foul.

Reply #302465 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

That's my concern with him Isaac. I dont think he is capable of driving to the hoop and trying to get to the line - he certainly doesnt look to do that anyway? To me, he looks happy to just sit in the corner and shoot 3's?

I think we need someone who can drive to the hoop and finish and I dont think he is the guy?

Reply #302466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he needs mintues.

The guy needs to find his role in the team and he can't do that playing just 15mins a game.

Clarke needs to realise this isn't the AIS and play his stars the minutes they deserve.

Reply #302467 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Still too early to tell, as he's finding his role.

Reply #302471 | Report this post

big dan  
Years ago

this guy could not drive to the hoop in a hummer let alone his legs.nice bloke but

Reply #302475 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Well all reports on him say that he can drive to the hoop, and in the first game he did so several times, so saying he cant is kinda irrelavent really.

Lets face it, we have a coach playing an import 15minutes in 2-3minute bursts...WTF. Hes not going to score big, learn the team that he came into halfway through the season that way.

Clark is starting to look more and more like the biggest problem we have, sadly the way Ninnis did.

Reply #302485 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Howard was never what we really needed .
A bigger Fwd that could break up the defence and attack the basket and help with inside precence.
However he showed in 1 st game that he wanted to drive at the basket and last 2 games wants to camp and shoot 3s .
Maybe Marty changing his game.
Not writing off yet

Reply #302487 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Yeah he needs to play, amazing 3 games in, and i still have no clue what kind of player he is. Play your stars, its a 40MINUTE GAME! these guys are fit enough to run out 30-35min easy. He subs his players way to regularly, and it stops anyone from getting a rythm, and god knows if they do hit multiple shots, he subs them out anyways! Id be pissed off to be playing for him right now, doubt he has much confidence from the players atm.

Reply #302491 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Most of the time outs are about the next play.
'Aw , you don't know this one.'

He sure looked pretty good, a few days off the plane.

Reply #302497 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Fizzle, i thought i was the only one that thought that. i am still trying to figure out why Marty substitutes players every 2 minutes. I remember a game when balls was on fire and then he got subbed. IMHO if someone is hitting the shots and is feeling it you dont sub them off until they lose that feeling or if they require a bit of a breather.

Reply #302503 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Or if you want to maintain a certain level of intensity, so you replace someone before they drop off the pace and are lagging on defence. There are arguments for both.

e.g., in one game recently, the bench came in fresh at times and did brilliantly.

Reply #302509 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Im not doubting that Isaac and do agree there a pro's and cons for both arguments, but sometimes i think he just switches a little too often. sometimes its turned out good and other times not so good.

Considering how much the imports get paid i would have thought they would get more minutes as essentially they are paid to win games but its hard to do that from the bench. In saying that though i dont mean give the bench no minutes and only give the imports the full game, there should be changes made but i just feel sometimes its too frequent

Reply #302511 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, sure. I would've played Howard more against Melbourne. Was mostly suffering through circumstance or officiating I thought. Not going to find his feet in the league without more minutes to experiment with.

Reply #302517 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

I bet he is feeling just as frustrated. sometimes he looks like he is about to drive then backs off, it would be interesting to know what Clarke has told him, and what he is thinking. I am not implying anything but i do wonder if Clarke has maybe just told him to slow it down and not try too much on your own?? or maybe he just isnt confident yet. only time will tell. the sooner the better though.

Reply #302521 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

I think our bench is solid at the moment. When we bench our first five the other teams normally follows. Our bench 5 against their bench five has actually done us some good.

Reply #302527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

people he was leading the scoring at 1/4 time. missed 1 3 yes air ball then got fouled on the nxt. hit all 3 free throws then hit his nxt 3. drove to basket got fouled think only hit 1. tried to get to the basket again got smashed from 2 tigers players both fouled him but ref said he slipped. then subbed out n that was pretty much it. blame the coach.

Reply #302554 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

My thoughts are that the Pittsburgh Pisces are hurting after giving Ron a starters' gig on the weekend. Has one more week to deliver but we're keeping the faith for now. If he's the wrong fit for the team, perhaps trade him to Sydney for Trey Gilder. OK, on second thought, maybe not.

Reply #302560 | Report this post

Soulman  
Years ago

Ok he needs to drive to the basket, draw the foul and make it 80% from the line. Give him time ( one more game at least)let's not turn on him just yet. Brad made some ordinary plays let alone turnovers, Darren could'nt hit from the three , Jacob had open shots could not deliver, we had one of those games against the Tigers that you wanna forget. Let's restart and see if he can deliver. The reason he took all those threes was because he was open, with Shannon and Bruce finding him. I think the overall picture here is greater than picking on one guy , if we can get into games especially away from home down the stretch he will produce, we just never pegged back the Tigers first qtr start without any luck. The season is not over yet yolks....watch this space. Go you 6ers

Reply #302571 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon '554 - I think two things hurt him in that game. Clarke not willing to leave him out there until he got rolling, and refs missing pretty obvious muggings. One missed foul in particular was pretty rough and noted by Gaze and Carfino.

Reply #302608 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Saw two instances when Howard was dragged Clarke really gave it to him (both times pretty basic defensive errors, caused by the team but in the end Howard got caught out both times).

Reply #302618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

isaac thats the 1 when 2 blokes smashed him n the ref said he slipped. then got dragged wft clark not his fault the ref stuffed up. after watchin the game n how howard was treated by clark was terrible. everytime he got subbed out clark would talk to him. bogut said he would b gd 4 the league n i trust hes judgement just let howard play his natural gm. why take a guy out when his ur leading scorer at 1/4 time n hardly gets anymore minutes.

Reply #302697 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Howard drove into a stationary player and lost the ball on that occasion. After that he was treated roughly and should have got a foul call, but it was a bad play by him in the first place.

I think give him some time. Hard in a game like that when everyone is bad to impress, and his first game was good. He deserves at least another fortnight before judgements are made.

Reply #302699 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Just let him play his own game. Are you serious? He needs to get that D-League US mentality out of his head. In Australia we play team defence. If he doesn't help (similar to Gary Ervin) he is a lame duck down the offensive end and teams will exploit this.

Reply #302701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah i am serious! all the teams d was shit the other night not just his. look back at the hawks 1st few games mcleod was all over ervin during timeouts n when players were shooting free throws about not doin it all himself did he listen no now have a look at him leading the scoreing n team is top 2. im not say try n win the game in the last 2 mins by yourself ala winder but play with conferdence which u dont get from the coach pulling u aside every 2 mins. gaze also mentioned the other night that some1 on the sixers team told him howard needs to get the ball cause he can play and is trying not to do 2 much.

Reply #302708 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

I didn't see much of Sunday's game - about 6 minutes of the third quarter. In that short period, I thought Howard drove several times, then dished to outside shooters. In the short time I was watching, he certainly was looking and trying to get to the basket.

Reply #302730 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

Saw him for the first time tonight( been on holidays ), and didn't see anything I liked.

Reply #303167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

na na na na , na na na na, hey hey hey.. GOODBYE!

Reply #303175 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

This topic started one game too early. Another game played and lost gives a much better indication on how he is doing. If he can't do anything else, at this level he should atleast be able to shoot his free shots. I cannot believe how well accredited he came to Australia and yet play this poorly. Is the standard in Australia that good that these players who have just missed out on the NBA cannot compete with us? Is there such a huge difference in standards between the player that only just scrapes in the NBA and the player who just missses out? I think Howard should go straight away. You can't give him considerable minutes if he is not producing so why keep him here. 4 points is all he managed tonight against NZ.

Reply #303193 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:26 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754