Anonymous
Years ago

What Happened To Nagy?

Lately there have been other Basketball Writers for The Advertiser instead of Boti Nagy, and today for what surely has to be a first in many years, his usual thursday column...is not there.

Anyone know what happened?

Topic #24681 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's in Alabama watching his daughter play college ball. Should be back in a week or two.

Reply #302773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting that he's taken leave during the season at one of the most important times of the season for the local basketball team.

He is the Advertiser's only basketball writer and he in return only ever writes about basketball.

Yet he's on leave when there's action a plenty on the court.

Hypocritical maybe?

Reply #302774 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

On holiday. There have still been stories from other writers.

Reply #302775 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

That's a bit harsh anon...you are still getting the basketball news, just not from Boti.

You don't realise what you have until it is gone!

Reply #302776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm personally glad he's gone.

I'd be quite happy getting my basketball game write ups and stories on basketball news from an actual journalist who reports the facts.

Boti should be saved for the funnies on a Thursday or as a beat writer like they do in the US.

Have you're Marv Albert for the real news and your Craig Sager for the gossip. At the moment the Advertiser is giving us Sager with a huge chip on his shoulder trying to tell us the news from his point of view. Which is always right, until he changes his mind, or club.

Reply #302778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a shame, he most of the off-season to not write :(

And he is a very knowledgeable writer who puts his opinion in, backs it up and adds abit of humour to it. Makes for a good read, a little bit of a chuckle and some highly basketball intelligent information.

Reply #302783 | Report this post

yo yo  
Years ago

agree anon #778 Boti should become the Bill Simmons of Oz and not pass himself off as a journo.
Too much bias and in jokes from him for jo average to understand.
Had a mate recently ask me to basically explain the Thursday column to him as he is trying to get back into basketball after years away. if you have to explain his column and jokes to readers then he is failing as a journo.

Reply #302795 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Even though he is on holidays (which he is definitely entitled to!!!), surely the Advertiser could find someone else to write his usual Thursday column, it would be interesting getting a different writer even for a weekor so.

Reply #302797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he has*

Reply #302804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be good to get a different writer permanently

Reply #302809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it is great that he is not here...DO NOT COME BACK!!!!

Reply #302810 | Report this post

big dan  
Years ago

l think you bunch of losers should leave the bloke alone atleast he writes as he feels and does not sugar up shit like some.maybe the facts that his daughter is playing means more to him than to report about how bad the team is .

Reply #302827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

big dan you just explained why we don't want him.

He writes what he feels. What journalist writes what they feel? They're supposed to report the facts.

He doesn't. That's the issue.

I agree he can be entertaining while being completely biased depending on his mood. That's why he should stick to the entertaining articles and let real journalist report the facts.

Reply #302829 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If you want facts in basketball, look at the boxscore. Anything else is opinion and analysis and what people read the articles for.

If you want bland coverage, the NBL site has that.

Reply #302831 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

I prefer to think that bland coverage = robot sportswriting (courtesy of the best human sportswriter out there, Steve Rushin)

To get your taste of sportswriting, software-style, directly head to StatSheet. (It's even got the capital letter in the middle of a one-word name to show you how exciting and revolutionary a product it is.)

Reply #302835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti said in his last column in late December that he would be back in February. Relax.

Reply #302846 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

I am happy to take Boti's blend of stories for all and comments that having meaning for keener fans.

Reply #302848 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon '846 - funnily, we get this "where's Boti?" thread every time the man takes a break. Need a header/indicator on this site: "The Boti is in" or "The Boti is out".

Reply #302850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a lot of people forget too Isaac is that Boti usually writes well into the offseason and starts up again a fair bit before the start of the following season too. He doesn't take much of a break in between seasons. I assume he's taking his four weeks annual leave. It's Ltd News take em for everything you can get.

Reply #302853 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

People complaining about Boti taking holidays at this time - this is the only time he can see his daughter play college basketball - he is allowed to have a life.

As Isaac mentioned not only basketball but all sports articles are opinion based. Even the boring stories on NBL.com have some opinion behind them.

Anon - have you submitted some of your own "unbiased" writing to the Advertiser? You seem to think you know what to write.

Reply #302854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't complaining as such, was just wondering what happened. He could have been sacked or something, or the 36ers could have gotten pissed and asked him to stop writing for a while.

Reply #302867 | Report this post

tip-off  
Years ago

you can't blame a bloke for wanting to go watch his daughter overseas.

Reply #302868 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He reports to his editor, not the 36ers!

Reply #302873 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

3 Cheers to Isaac, off course the facts are in the box scores and the games you watch with your own eyes whether it be at the venue or on Television. Boti provides more than that, he provides comical entertainment as well. With a combination of all these, we have a pretty full coverage on everything NBL. And yes, people do notice everytime he is away. Could only mean because there is something noticeably missing when he is not here. It took me 2 minutes to realise he was missing from last Friday night's game. You look over towards the eastern stand and immediately see the empty space.

Reply #302881 | Report this post

SDU  
Years ago

Personally I hate botis reporting style

Reply #302908 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

I haven't always been Boti's biggest fan especially with his lame sense of humour, but I do like the way he normally doesn't sugar coat things in his serious articles.
I think it's clear without him we wouldn't have much basketball articles at all, so I am happy to have at least that.

Reply #302945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could actually go to see his daughter play in March or maybe after.

Reply #302948 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The college basketball season is over for most teams by the end of March...

Reply #302949 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

When did 'Anon' become a synonym for 'Troll'? Anyways...

It'd be cool to have a second dedicated basketball voice in SA.

Reply #302961 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

I'm with you Isaac (Plus your replies had a bit of Boti in them). I look forward to Thursday, cos I know it's not going to be average, run of the mill boring s**t.

Reply #303165 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

Without Boti here I had no idea the Lightning were even playing this weekend.

Reply #303218 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sometimes you dont know what youve got till it's gone! Journalism wise, Boti is the best thing basketball has in this county by a long way.

Reply #303222 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That should read country, BTW, but I am sure you worked that out!

Reply #303223 | Report this post

NickG  
Years ago

To all those who don't like what Boti's got to say, it's simple... don't read. Let the rest of us enjoy it.
That complete BS attitude that so many out there seem to have ("I don't like something, therefore it should not exist, and no-one should be allowed to have it!") is so typical of the anonymous internet fascists. Let the man do his job and you can get back to flipping burgers!

Reply #306238 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

We should "Flip-the-Bird" at the Internet fascists!!

looks like this: ..L.,

Reply #306243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hes back

Reply #306329 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:48 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754