Beantown
Years ago

Tigers v Cats

Good game by the Tigers so far. So how many savvy Hoops SA fans got on the $5 offered by Centrebet for a Tigers win?

My eyes lit up when I saw that on the ONE broadcast. Problem was, didn't have an account and by the time I got signed up Centrebet weren't taking bets on the Tigers anymore!

This is the first time I've tried online betting, so can someone tell me, is that unusual? I'm guessing its because every basketball fan who knows anything about the NBL piled on the Tigers?

I think this game puts the Sixers performance last week in perspective too. Now that the Tigers have Homicide, they've basically put a protective boot (with big offensive spikes) over their achilles heel. I reckon the Tigers are gonna make a good run for the finals now. Don't know if they can finish top 3, but they could certainly sneak into the 4.

Topic #24694 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not over yet. Watch the crowd influence the game and help get Wildcats backing the game.

Reply #303026 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

I would DEFINITELY recommend people catch the replay of this game when it is on.

Wildcats are storming home in the 4th after being down by 20+ during the 3rd, and down 17 (i think) at the start of the fourth.

Reply #303027 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

homicide- respect!!!! i love how devendorf and williams gave it to that bloke on the sideline!!! well done tigers- hung in there and knocked the cats off!!! i am looking forward to the twitter comments!!!

Reply #303028 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

Corey Williams...

Reply #303029 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Homicide is a complete arrogant prick. He was quite condecending to the girl trying to interview him at the end. Thank god he never came to Adelaide, he'd be harder to cheer than jacob Holmes's jumpshot! I hate both teams, and great to see Redhage starting to struggle cos he is a jerk, but not so obviously compared to this assclown.
Besides that, heck of a ball game! Majok can jump out of the gym with those hops! Surely he will stay with the Cats for the remainder of the season? Surely they will take him over a import...UNLESS they have someone very solid in mind.

Reply #303030 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

homicides twitter has all tweets protected-booo

Reply #303031 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

What a great finish. Didn't expect it to get that close, but Ater Majok made a huge difference in that last quarter. I hope he stays in the league somehow - he has tremendous athleticism and will make a lot of highlight plays at both ends.

Sixers take note: when you are down big, that is how to finish! Great heart, execution, self belief and shooting from the Cats.

Reply #303032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you don't want him in Adelaide? I hear some jealousy. I'm sure you wouldn't say that if it was 36ers with the win under his leadership

Reply #303033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide is awesome, People in Australia generally don't like others that talk themselves up, but Homicide can flat out ball. Adelaide would be lucky to have him it they could get him.

Reply #303034 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah, Homicide and Devendorf look like they can be arrogant pricks, but I do like the way Homicide creates a bit of controversy and fires everyone up. Definitely good for the league, though I too prefer to have someone a little classier on my team who is good enough to shut these guys mouths when they come to town! :D Ah, the good ol' days...

Reply #303035 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think once Wagstaff returns Majok can only come back in for Perth if there is a season ending injury to another player. But as I said in another thread there is some confusion about that rule.

Reply #303036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Judas was too arrogant in his haydays here, but we seem to embraced him because of the uniform he was in, until what he did but regardless he did get our support in the moment he was helping us winning games. so let's not taste sour grapes and enjoy what these guys are doing for the league.

Reply #303037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

was at the game the refs screwed the cats in the first 3 quarters the cats made a great come back and beveridge took majok off and broke the run of the cats. The cats should not worry getting a import they should sign him for the rest of the season

Reply #303038 | Report this post

Dan  
Years ago

Great win by the tigers however should have won by much more. Williams might be arrogant but as said before he's good the the league and he's certainly turned the tigers team around. Hopefully he sticks around..

Reply #303039 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Beantown agreed. Ive never really liked Homicide, and call it tall poppy syndrome, hating whatever, BUT i prefer the way Brett Maher and Cat went about it, they were winners, they did it with class. Corey has borderline add the way he needs to constantly be in the spot light and the way he goes about it is odd. Ahh if only he were playing when Dorge, Utof (wrong spelling), Cat and Vlahov were on the court, he'd shut up quick smart me thinks.

Reply #303040 | Report this post

Dan  
Years ago

Oh yeah Majok was a gun. He'll only get better. And man he can jump.

Reply #303041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not sure if the ref screwed the cats around or the refs has been screwing the rest of leagues around not making calls.

Reply #303042 | Report this post

Dan  
Years ago

refs have been screwing everyone lately. poor referring at all games. Seems like they are all noobs.

Reply #303043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon refs didn't screw you, refs actually called some and only some of the holding, fending off, illegal screens, hand checking and general physical crap that the Wildcats rely to win. That's what happens when you have 1 referee onthe game who doesn't get caught up in the environment at the Cage and also has the experience to see what Perth are doing. Considering how many games Perth are allowed to deliberately play outside the rules it was refreshing to see the game called properly, if only for 3 quarters.

Don't worry mate, when you get the weaker refs again you'll be allowed to play your style again.

Good on Melbourne for not stepping back.

Reply #303044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

everyone needs to relax on Majok. Athletic? yes. Good Shot Blocker? yes. Good basketballer? Debatable. Got absolutely abused in the post by everyone on the Tigers and has hands like feet...fumbles everything..not saying he wont be good...but too say keep him over an import? Relax. Funny to read somebody thinks that Perth got screwed in the first 3 quarters. Even if i agreed...it would make up for the thousands of quarters teams get screwed in the Perth gym.

Reply #303046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great game to watch. Homicide dominated and for all of perth's talk about having the best defenders going up against him, they couldn't find a way to stop him.

Reply #303047 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I think the ref was just refing the game the way it should've been refed. yes, they screwed the cats this game because they were actually making calls.

always liked Majok's upside. don't think NBA is realistic but definitely a special player for this league.

Reply #303048 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I agree with you anon 303044. Have no sympathy for the Cats on anything to do with reffing. They get away with a LOT of holding and hacking and when teams get annoyed and retaliate, thats when Redhage breaks out his academy award routine. I do like a lot of their players and they are really well coached, but I also dream of the day when refs call a cleaner game.

Reply #303049 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

So no-one has answered my question about the betting plunge on the Tigers tonight. Am I right, did too many pile on the Tigers and they had to suspend betting? Interested to know - or are all you guys betting virgins like me? ;-)

Reply #303051 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

Beantown- with your relentless question on centerbet odds, I just realized how little did the commentator update the odds during this game

Reply #303053 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Relentless? Thats me LOL... Like Damian Martin when he sees a ball in someone elses possession!

Reply #303054 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

Luke Nevill is a baller, he isn't NBA material but could see why they were interested, has very nice touch around the basket, Majok needs to add leg strength to defend him properly though, not worried about upper body, but his legs need to get thicker and have a wider base. Devendorf and Homicide pair really work well together.

Reply #303055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the Wildcats have got any sense they'll re-diagnose Wagstaff's injury as season ending!

Refs did let the Wildcats get away with a bit too much but that always happens over there and wow Homicide had done wonders for the Tigers since they signed him. Bit of egg on a few faces over that.

Reply #303056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree even though he did a preseason with the Cavs (primarily just to guard Shaq in practice) Nevill is no NBA player. A bit too uncoordinated but I think he's a bit too good for the NBL though.

Reply #303057 | Report this post

Adz  
Years ago

Beantown, if you live in Australia, you can't bet live on the match during play, except for half time. The Tigers were at $5.50 at one stage. I put a bet on just before the game started, so they were open until tip off. Too bad i didn't back the Tigers!

Reply #303058 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I believe Luke Nevill has the tools to make NBA, he has a great touch, athleticism for a guy of his size. what's keeping him away??? his mentality and attitude really hurts him in many ways.

when you are 7'2 with the tools he have, not in the NBA, there's really something wrong with him

Reply #303059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plenty of 7 footers around the world not in the NBA. He's just too slow, not sound fundamentally enough (brings the ball down too much and gets stripped/forced into a tough shot when at his height and size should keep it above his head ala Pau Gasol) and doesn't seem too sharp.

Could Nevill physically play in the NBA? Of course he could at 5-10 minutes a night but I just don't see him getting that opportunity. Schenscher could still play in the NBA but he'll never get a chance again. Nevill played in their college system (declared for the draft but went undrafted), played summer league with the Hornets then lasted about half of training camp with the Cavs and then spent a whole season playing over there in the D League without getting a call up all last season (or this season for that matter). NBA teams have had plenty of opportunities to get a good look at him.

I'm not trying to rubbish the guy but I think his future may lie in Europe.

Reply #303060 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

READ FROM BOTTOM!!!!!!!!!! cos its reverse order

chomicide Yardie
great win, great team effort, on to the next 1
17 minutes ago Favorite Reply

chomicide Yardie
Sumtimes the game needs pranksters. Things like this only make it fun, entertaining and memorable because the perth pussycats won't 4get dat
42 minutes ago

chomicide Yardie
They can give it out but can't take it. And cry and whine about it. Man the fuk up. Just do something in melb. That's what I would have done
45 minutes ago

chomicide Yardie
My manager got security to clean it off but security didn't see me do it. So he didn't kno for sure. wild cats too sensitive like women
46 minutes ago

chomicide Yardie
When asked about the marker incident I denied it only to raise more speculation and hype which it did just that. I knew what I was doing
47 minutes ago

chomicide Yardie
The refs did a good job tonite controlling the Game. I told them I'm not gonna get into it with any1 imma play ball tonite
50 minutes ago

chomicide Yardie
Because they giv it to me. But they can't take it when sum 1 gives it to them. They play dirty and lucky the game was on TV
52 minutes ago

chomicide Yardie
They can hoop but they act tuffer than they really are. So fuk perth their crowd and every chance I get imma give it to em
54 minutes ago

chomicide Yardie
So I asked for a permanent marker and autographed my signature on k lisch and d martins face.
56 minutes ago

chomicide Yardie
thursday we had practice and thered a banner with lisch and Martins full body on it. As u all kno I don't respect perth bcuz they act tuff

Reply #303061 | Report this post

Red  
Years ago

Was at the game, cats got them selves into to big of hole in the 1st half, great come back, crowd was so loud in the 4th qtr, I'm telling you if that had there regular court side announcer Lachy Reid they would of got over the line, he is the best 6th man in the league.
Homicide is a genius on & off the court, need more of him.

Reply #303062 | Report this post

GKcats  
Years ago

Homicide is a out rit prick!!!! Like to see the foul count b4 the 4th!!! Sum 1 was licking billys balls to nyt!! May b Larry n the nbl!!!! Cant take it perth @ good!!!!! Still goin bak 2 bak!!!!

Reply #303063 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

I would say Homicide is doing what he wants...lighting up the internet airwaves..getting on websites, newpapers...

Twitter is going off, now this forum...Facebook is jumping...Daniel Eade will be writing..Cat's GM is jumping...and all for the NBL to be back in the papers..

get a grip bitches..this shit is what the NBL and basketball in Australia need...NEWS

Reply #303064 | Report this post

I was at the game toight and Rob Beveridge was out coached tonight. The only time the cats made in road into the lead the tigers had was when Majok or Trueman was on court. Shawn Redhege is not a center Steve Weigh is not a pf any team would dominate those guys in that position. when the Cat made a big run at them Majok was dominating at both ends he was making Luke Nevill look like he shouldnt be there and then was sub out with about 3 min to go of the game but returned a minute later but the damage was done. They wildcats should stop thinking about signing anouther import and sign Majok for the rest of the season caues once this guy finds his feet in this league he will dominate it

Reply #303065 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Still can't explain why I like Homicide, but I do. I'll heckle the living shite out of him at the Dome. But I like him.

Redhage is a disgraceful flopper, as we all know. Even more disgraceful was the one ref who kept falling for it. Props to Homicide for letting Redhage know about it.

Still don't like the way Nevill's being used. So many times we see him dominate the first 8 minutes, only to be pulled for the Burston/Helliwell combo and not be seen until over half-way through the 2nd quarter, at which point he seems to struggle to get back into the form he had at the start. He could easily put up Khazzouh-like numbers in the right situation. He just needs to stop trying to make stupid interior passes when he is already within a metre of the rim and can get a higher percentage look himself.

For anyone who made trades on their Dream Team yesterday or earlier in the week, I'm very sorry but you've missed out on the Majok gravy train! He was just added this morning at $65k and will go up immediately. You get 20pts for blocks alone and you don't have to do a lot else :D

Reply #303066 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Great game to watch. Tigers Zone was awesome and disrupted Perths offense.

Reply #303067 | Report this post

MG  
Years ago

I got on Tigers with that 1-10 margin on sportingbet paying $6.50 so was happy with that. Also got on tigers 1-10 and gold coast 1-10 multi payin $34 but gold coast screwed me there

Reply #303068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nevill's good but he isnt a good enough athlete at this point to play without rests. He also turned the ball over a lot last night.

People see him score in the post well and think he is dominant, but there is a lot more to the game than that. I like how he is improving though, he is a lot more aggressive than at the start of the season and is on his way to being one of the better centres in the NBL this year.

Reply #303070 | Report this post

rickjamesbeeatch  
Years ago

i thought Majok got Completely outplayed tonight...so what if he gets a couple of blocks....he was getting scored on and abused down low all game!

Reply #303071 | Report this post

rickjamesbeeatch  
Years ago

i thought Majok got Completely outplayed tonight...so what if he gets a couple of blocks....he was getting scored on and abused down low all game!

Reply #303072 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Sooooooo all in agreeance Homicide is a childish wanna be Marbury type, that could have a screw loose? Can he play? yeah... Is he a 'professional'? Nope.

Reply #303073 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

What has happened to Damian Lyons since the ejection of the coach. Unusual the NBL flew in two referees for this game.

Reply #303074 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

The article about his graffiti incident is here:

http://yfrog.com/h688413583j

Reply #303075 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Complicated situation. I love what he did - is funny, revved people up and is good for the game for sure - but there's an aura of disrespect and arrogance about the way he does it. Hated the way he treated the poor court reporter - girl's just doing her job and he could've won us all over if he'd done that interview the right way, with respect and owning up to having a bit of fun at the Wildcats' expense.

Wildcats need to get over it. Surely we're not all upset about someone signing their signature on a banner? Agree about the Majok comments. The cat is raw but at the minute, the Wildcats look like the 36ers MkII without Daniel Johnson on the bench. They are more undersized than Nick Nack in The Man With the Golden Gun. Redhage has been in a funk the last two games but don't worry, I know why - it's because the Pisces signed him to their NBL Fantasy team. Damn it!

As for those who are hating on Corey ..... in a way, this is just a mini-Julius stomping episode. How did that make you feel at the time? How did it make you feel six months later? Move on. As for Corey, incidents like this will see him out of the league before long as Australia doesn't tolerate this sort of stuff and the "choke" signal to the fans wasn't a good idea. Interesting that Anthony Mundine follows Corey on twitter. Enough said.

Great game and an excellent reason to stay up late on Friday night.

Reply #303076 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Great finish to the game.

Devendorf and Williams very good for the Tigers, but I do agree that Nevill is totally underutilised. Nevill could be putting up better than Khazzouh numbers if gien the ball...

And I got on the Tigers and won a tidy sum, plus I picked them to win the the tipping :)

Reply #303077 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Very much enjoyed the game and made the call at half time that the cats would come back and make a game of it. Mind you i was a bit worried about it at the end of the 3rd!

XztatiK
Your comments on Corey are spot on for me. As arrogant as he is, he's a baller and i cant help but love watching him play. However as soon as he steps onto the floor at the Dome all that goes out the window. I very much admire his ability to trash talk and consistently back it up but the way he treated that female reporter at the end of the game wasnt good enough. I understand his enthusiasm in sticking it to the perth crowd but a little class shown to the reporter would be nice.

all in all a great game to watch for the majority, very glad I continued to watch after 3/4 time!

Reply #303082 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Great game - Homicide played great. I hate Perth and stupid bloodnut Redhage - I was so happy watching him give it to those 2 feral supporters at the end. Classic!

Reply #303086 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

> Complicated situation. I love what he did -
> is funny, revved people up and is good for the
> game for sure - but there's an aura of disrespect
> and arrogance about the way he does it.
> Hated the way he treated the poor court reporter -
> girl's just doing her job and he could've won
> us all over if he'd done that interview the right
> way, with respect and owning up to having a bit
> of fun at the Wildcats' expense.

Spot-on, Moses. Most of the time his antics are gold for the rivalry and for the league, and for that reason alone I was stoked to see him back in the league this season.
My only criticism of this whole episode was the way he handled that post-game interview.
OneHD has basically given this league a new lease on life through its generous multi-year deal, and I strongly believe that it is the obligation of every player & staff member to accommodate them in return (within reason, obviously).

I don't mind Corey giving his twitter a plug, but at least let the girl get through a few questions as well. Players must not snub the tv network that helps pay their salaries! OneHD doesn't spend all this money covering the NBL only to have the rare juicy stuff lost entirely to twitter.

Aside from that though, Homicide was superb, the Tigers as a team continued their improvement, and the Cats got a reality check.

Reply #303088 | Report this post

Red  
Years ago

Surely NBL player contracts will have media stipulations in them now OneHD is on board, like the AFL

Reply #303090 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Can someone elaborate on the post game interview. I heard him say "Don't even worry about it sweetie, I got a lot to say", when the grim old 'End of recorded program' sign came up.

Reply #303096 | Report this post

GKcats  
Years ago

(Mod: Please get lost.)

Reply #303098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

...and who did Redhage see in the New Year with after playing the Blaze last week? Maybe he doesnt think as much of Perth as you would like to believe. A move to a new franchise is VERY much on the cards next season....

Reply #303104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pity he is contracted.

Reply #303111 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Contracts don't mean everything though - if he really wanted to go, he could get out of it.

Reply #303112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pity there won't be any NEW franchises next year.

Reply #303117 | Report this post

GKcats  
Years ago

Ill be very suprised, if he leaves!!! Just makok 2 Stay!!!!

Reply #303130 | Report this post

GKcats  
Years ago

Billy scrwed perth last night hard!!! Like him & crouch screwed us in game 3 gf in 93!!! Gaze poofs got there 1st title!!!

Reply #303136 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Dont know if anyone said this yet or not because I only read half of the thread but Majok cannot sign for the rest of the season not because of injury waivers but because he already has a contract in europe to go to which he signed before coming in for the wildcats.

Also I think Corey Williams is an undercover actor placed by the NBL to boost ratings. Why does he get away with the things he does? The refs let him do more than they let Andrew Gaze get away with!

Reply #303327 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Majok only had a 2 month contract (that was the length from memory) in the Turkish 2nd Division with Isikspor which has since expired and not been renewed. Therefore he is not tied to any European team at the present time, and hence why he took the short term contract opportunity at Perth.

Reply #303347 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:36 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754