mr muscles
Years ago

should the 36ers have kept Winder

Should the 36ers have brought shannon in and moved Winder to his natural 2 spot instead of bringing in Howard.

Topic #24702 | Report this topic

SRT070  
Years ago

Hard to call this one. Howard did look the goods though. I agree with others that Howard does not seem to have any plays revolving around him.

Reply #303227 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

No, Winder had plenty of chances and he proved to be useless. Howard has to find a way to contribute pretty soon though, because I have not seen even a glimpse of anything positive he can do yet! We'd be better off bringing in Farley and letting him jack up some threes at this rate!

Reply #303234 | Report this post

bang  
Years ago

hell the question should be should the 36ers have waited for devries to get over the injury, howard not exactly filling any role at the moment, stealing money at this rate

Reply #303235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes they should of kept him and told him what he needed to work on, instead of telling him he is doing a good job and everything is fine.

Reply #303238 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Agree with original post - should have retained Winder to play at his natural position 2 spot and allowed Shannon to run the point.

Hard to believe that Howard was being considered for NBA?? He has not shown us any of that form here - he is being paid at least $100k (?) to contribute to the team. I wonder if my boss would be so forgiving?

Back on players playing their natural positions - imagine if the Sixers had a starting centre and allowed Ballinger to play at his natural power forward and Holmes at his natural 3 spot. No point having a run and gun program for a low scoring team playing out of position.

Reply #303240 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Howard looks lost and confused in Marty's 'Offense'. I feel for him, because i think he could be a very good player in this league, with the right situation.

Reply #303241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

totally agree fizzle clarke is killing howard. think back to the tigers game missed 1 3 hit the nxt n 4 free throws then gets taking out 4 ages how r u ment to get ur coferdence up if ur getting subed out all the time. shot really bad last night he knows that. but is playing less than half the game. play him 4 a while let him hit his shots which will come n then we will c the player he is. clarke shut up n worry about getting the correct 5 on the court at the same time.

Reply #303243 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Saw some 6ers' out last weekend. Should sixers be more disciplined (like Crows) during season and not be out late and on the booze.??

Reply #303244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spinner, if you think Holmes natural position is at the 3 then you need to be drug tested ...

Reply #303245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

holmes is a bench player great rebounder but cant shot sick of seeing him getting the ball open 3/4 ft from the basket instead of turning around n laying it in he passes the ball out. gets in gd spots just doesn't finish

Reply #303247 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Who here would have said they should've kept Winder at the time?

I was probably one of the most optimistic people on here when discussing Winder and even I would've made the change.

I'm not sure the club thought DeVries would be going too when they made the Winder/Shannon swap (none of us did). Keeping Winder may have been an option if they had.

Reply #303250 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It's funny how they said they'd sign a PG and a SF
then brought in 2 SGs . Must've seen something, that they thought could coach him into being a PG, for a while.
Anyways - more guards than Buckingham Palace , of course, here.. Could've done with a bitta height, instead.

Reply #303258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just need a balanced line up really. Tigers working that out now and are improving with 1 centre on the court not 2 or 3. we cant afford to play small need a centre and play balls at the 4. surely sam harris can b serviceable.

Reply #303271 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Cmael 31 is spot on...........not rocket science and majority of posters recognised it before the season started that we need a geniune 5 man. We should have kept Burston or tried to sign Luke. JD, Holmes and Harris as back up. Dollars saved on DJ could go to Luke.

Reply #303279 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

lol @ moving Winder to the 2.

You might remember he was throwing up shots left, right and center and was missing them all.

Doubt moving him to the 2 spot would have done anything, he would have been throwing up contested shots still, fluffing layups still and missing 3's still.

Reply #303310 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Winder no no no . I have no idea from his resume why we picked him and did not have a shot or b.ball brain.
Regard to DeVries to Howard both very average point scorer but both had potential to be.
A positive about Howard is in that 1 st game before been told what to do got the ball in open court and took off to basket and scored or got fouled .
Now camps in pockets waiting for pass and when finally gets it not his natural play and air balls the bl---y thing .
Wanted so badly to finally get a good coach after Phils way did not work anymore then Scotty and thought Clarke answer but got some good young talent but selection of imports and small team structure not going to get us anywhere.
Yes developed Hills and NG game but now team seems too structured to a game plan that not working .
Least players putting in a better effort than last year

Reply #303313 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Jake, Schenscher wanted to play here. Why wouldn't he, he was born here and had great success here. People keep coming up with theories like he cost too much (the difference wouldn't have been that much), we can play DJ as the under 22 player (we could have gotten another player i.e. Creek), It wasn't Clarke's choice (it was his choice!). The fact of the matter is we got DJ instead as Clarke/Radford wanted to run a perth style team (that is going great - just ask Schenscher, Nevil, Wilkinson, Crosswhite).

It was good for the sixers to be proactive and moving on imports that were underperforming. However, we have one of the deepest benches in the NBL so if Deveries injury wasn't season ending and they felt once fully fit he could contribute like he use to, then they should have just rested him for a few weeks. If they felt he wasn't going to be able to perform again then that was fine to let him go. In which case I don't know why they didn't just go after Farely. He would have came cheap. We know what we would have been getting with him as well as helping to bring the crowd in. We could limit him shooting too much by giving him limited minutes as Howard is getting. If he is playing really well then leave him on and who knows we might actually win games. If he isn't playing well then at least he could do something on defense unlike howard

Howard reminds me of Tyndale as they both have no strong points on offense. I orginally thought he was good at foul shots but that opinion changed on saturday. The applause by the crowd when he was subbed off said it all. It seems to me he is second guessing him self too much and thinking too much about his shots. It is a shame as he looked fine in the first game with no pressure on him now he has built up all this pressure on him self and isn't mentally strong enough.

Reply #303314 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not fussed which of the three non-Shannon imports are there. All have their potential and their faults.

Reply #303317 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

As good as Eddie is I would run with Carter and Bruce at the point next year. For those about to bag me about Bruce and his TO count, give Marty the off season to work with him and see if he cant reduce them like he has with Hill.

I would then get a an Import SG to be backed up by Ng.

If Hill keeps developing I would start him and have Creek and Herbie back him up.

Play Balls at the 4, backed up by Dowdell.

Get another import big (Roland Roberts/Ira Clarke type) to play the 5 and be backed up by DJ.

Either that, or get in a good import 3 man and develop DJ more and bring in (a more developed) Harris.

I think that could work?

Reply #303338 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Tornado some good points but do you think there are enough minutes for Hill, Creek and Herbie at the 3? I would liek to see Creek getting 20 - 25 mins next season - sharing with Hill.

I belive will need to run Howard 30+ minutes to get some game time into him. Having Herbie and NG backign an inport SG next year would not work. I think we may have to let Herbie go IMO.

Reply #303341 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Herbert is worth starting over Hill. I'd look at moving hill to be a 2-guy with the potential to run Herbert and Hill at the same time.

Reply #303342 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It's the impermanence of Howard , then
and Clarke thinking 'bout using Harris
and 'Whatta we gonna do about Bruce, when Carter comes back.'
that makes me think about Bruce n Harris replacing Howard, now.

Reply #303346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the sixers are rubbish!

Reply #303370 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

^ Troll

Reply #303371 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Jake, it is a bit hard to tell at the moment because it all depends on how Herbie recovers from his injury which is unknown at this point?

But throwing Herbie into the mix does throw things around a little. IMO if he is fit he is too good not to have in your team?!

Whilst Creek looks promising, he is only 18 and his play at the moment I dont think is warranting 20-25 mins a game. He is only playing that now because Herbie is injured.

How about this for a team then;

PG - Carter/Bruce
SG - Import/Ng
SF - Herbert/Hill/Creek
PF - Balls/Dowdell/Creek
C - Import/DJ/Dowdell

That team could be rather versatile too. Or Perhaps just run with the 1 gun import like Perth until we have an injury or we find a deficiency and run with a team like this;

PG - Carter/Bruce
SG - Import/Ng
SF - Herbert/Hill
PF - Balls/Creek
C - DJ/Dowdell

Really, you could go a number of ways with this team...

Reply #303399 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Carter/Bruce might be a long term thing
'fans' of Clarke. New and old 'friends'

Howard looks a little lost. That's why I would keep Bruce here, now and add Harris

Reply #303466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it shows that Marty doesnt know how to get the best out of his imports, they all have the ability to excel but he can't do his job.

Reply #303471 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

For those who have watched the Sixers train - how has Shannon performed there? Is he as lost as he appears at game time?

Reply #303490 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Do you mean Shannon or Howard ?

Anyways - Shannon seems ok.
Clarke and Howard seem virtually over.
While Greenwood trained pretty well here today.

Reply #303513 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Spinner, Camel said a bit more in another thread.

Reply #303514 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Sorry - I meant Howard!!

Reply #303547 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:18 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754