Isaac
Years ago

Homicide cautioned by the NBL

Melbourne Tigers' player Corey Williams has been cautioned by the National Basketball League over a series of postings on his Twitter account following his team’s 93-86 win over the Perth Wildcats on Friday night.
After reviewing Williams’ tweets, the NBL issued a formal caution to the player regarding some of the language used.

"Whilst the league office has no issue with the general content of Corey’s tweets, some of the language used could be considered offensive and a potential breach of our Code of Conduct," said Basketball Australia Chief Executive Officer Larry Sengstock. “The NBL has therefore warned Corey to be more cautious in future or face further sanctions.”

Sengstock said the advent of new on-line social media forms such as Twitter and Facebook were exciting innovations but needed to be used respectfully and carefully.

“We see the proliferation of social media usage amongst our clubs, players and coaches as a valuable way to engage directly and immediately with our fans and we encourage its usage, “said Sengstock. “We certainly don’t want to stifle or muzzle it, but it is important that we ensure it doesn’t become a haven for allowing behaviours or comments that are deemed unacceptable under our rules.

“We have therefore advised all clubs that the League office will consider any comments made through social networking sites as being in the public domain, and therefore they must conform to our overall Rules and Regulations.”

Topic #24716 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Fair enough, let players know what is and isn't acceptable and then move on.

Reply #303382 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

What did he tweet?

Reply #303384 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

twitter.com/chomicide

too much to write in here

Reply #303388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought his reaction post game was awesome... It certainly had me attempting to sign up for twitter to see what he was going to say.... Great work for the game!

Reply #303389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rod I cant access it can u please just give a summary....

Reply #303390 | Report this post

pete  
Years ago

Anon get out from under the rock you've been living under

Reply #303391 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

F-bombs eg:

chomicide THE MOST DANGEROUS 1
Gud foul. U get the balll back. Martin f----d the game up. Wtf was he Thinking
20 hours ago

Reply #303392 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here's what he wrote (most recent at the top) -

chomicide Yardie
great win, great team effort, on to the next 1
17 minutes ago Favorite Reply

chomicide Yardie
Sumtimes the game needs pranksters. Things like this only make it fun, entertaining and memorable because the perth pussycats won't 4get dat
42 minutes ago

chomicide Yardie
They can give it out but can't take it. And cry and whine about it. Man the fuk up. Just do something in melb. That's what I would have done
45 minutes ago

chomicide Yardie
My manager got security to clean it off but security didn't see me do it. So he didn't kno for sure. wild cats too sensitive like women
46 minutes ago

chomicide Yardie
When asked about the marker incident I denied it only to raise more speculation and hype which it did just that. I knew what I was doing
47 minutes ago

chomicide Yardie
The refs did a good job tonite controlling the Game. I told them I'm not gonna get into it with any1 imma play ball tonite
50 minutes ago

chomicide Yardie
Because they giv it to me. But they can't take it when sum 1 gives it to them. They play dirty and lucky the game was on TV
52 minutes ago

chomicide Yardie
They can hoop but they act tuffer than they really are. So fuk perth their crowd and every chance I get imma give it to em
54 minutes ago

chomicide Yardie
So I asked for a permanent marker and autographed my signature on k lisch and d martins face.
56 minutes ago

chomicide Yardie
thursday we had practice and thered a banner with lisch and Martins full body on it. As u all kno I don't respect perth bcuz they act tuff

Mystro, if you have to tell a player that that sort of language around fans is unacceptable, I wonder - these are professional adults!

Reply #303398 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

So does anyone else think this whole thing was a beat up orchestrated by the two clubs (or at least Marvin with Williams) in order to generate noise?

Reply #303403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many times does he want to tweet in an hour? Shouldn't he be training or something

Reply #303407 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Mystro, I would hope the players are old enough and sensible enough to work out for themselves what is acceptable and what is not. It doesn't say much for their professionalism and maturity when they need to be told what is acceptable. They give public interviews and don't use foul language, let them use that as a guide.

Reply #303413 | Report this post

did any1 else see craig winder at the 36ers vs breakers game the other day

Reply #303418 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

He is an immature Arenas want to be! The language shows his pure lack of class as a PERSON, jerk in my opinion. I always compare these 'stars' to Maher and how he handled himself on and off the court...all he was guilty of was some odd fashion sense ;)

Reply #303423 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Fizzle...never compare another player to Maher...he is one of a kind...

the league needs personalities and not all are going to be as good as the good man himself..

Corey has put the game back in the right light...

fizzle off if you can't handle the game in another light..

Reply #303425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

knowing Corey from back in Townsville, do you guys even know this guy to make that kind of comment? he's just about the only import where people will recognize and give him free meals haha

he is actually quite a bubbly dude that talks alot and is definitely a personality. meeting him, he's very approachable and definitely loves the spotlight.

just because you're a Maher-maniac doesn't mean everybody need to be like him. there're many more better ballers out there than Maher....

Reply #303431 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Sorry Gaze then...no no no, wait the entire Hall Of Fame class of the 80's and 90's. See someone like say Cal Bruton for example was a loud type, but he had class. This guy promoting his twitter like this just to go on and start swearing after he knew many would check, reaks of jerk. I love the game, and love the free to air attention the league is recieveing, but this stuff isnt good for the league long term IMO. Highlights on court are.

Reply #303432 | Report this post

Murray  
Years ago

My impression of Homicide is of a guy who will do whatever to promote the game. I would have preferred him not to sign the Cats banner but I'm all for him encouraging people to go to his Twitter account etc. He wants to see basketball prosper in Australia and he is happy to attend clinics with kids etc, he did one in Flemington three weeks ago and has one coming up this Wednesday. I think the NBL needs the spotlight from time to time, the papers are full of AFL articles.

Here is my take on the impact of social media on sport if you haven't read it yet...

http://www.thebigtip.com.au/basketball/talk-or-tweet-impact-social-media-sport

Reply #303434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think that's strictly your opinion...and yes you should apologise to the entire HOF class.

you're probably living in the past, if there were such thing as twitter, one of them guys may promote it too. this is a whole new generation of professional sport! believe it or not, there's even players getting offered a job via Facebook!

Reply #303435 | Report this post

Scotty G  
Years ago

Met Corey last week and he was an easy going guy who the kids love.Nothing was too much for him to do even though he'd been training for two hours.Having met many americans over the years he was a breath of fresh air.

Reply #303436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

his action probably also indicates his and many in the league's displeasure against Perth; he just had the balls to come out and show how he felt.

as bad as it looked on TV, I heard the bold headed dude they were talking to at end of game was challenging Devendorf to take it outside after the game.

Reply #303439 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Its no the twitter stuff in general, and the sigining the martin pic or whatever he did. Perth are jerks. Its the lurring fans and kids onto his account and then starts dropping F-bombs all over the place. Thats not basketball promotion.

Reply #303442 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

The tweets I saw weren't full of swearing so my bad lol.
I was more referring to the NBL telling players that their own private social media accounts are deemed public domain and that the same rules apply as normal media ie t.v, radio, newspaper. Sure players should realize this and should behave as professional sportsmen regardless but if Cory could have refrained from swearing I could not really see much else wrong with his comments, sure they are just shit talking ect but at least he is passionate about his sport and the team he represents in it.

Reply #303448 | Report this post

Pug91  
Years ago

Oh the irony in that post Mystro - you are on your soap box about someone swearing on twitter, yet you yourself can't help but swear in your post!

Reply #303451 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I do not have a signed contract with any organization that stipulates how I should behave in the media so therefore I can say what I feel like in the public domain unlike NBL players.
Where is the said soap box that you refer to? I clarified where my earlier statements were coming from and also said that I didn't see much else wrong with his posts apart from the swearing.
Can you find one supporter of the NBL that thinks that it is totally ok for a pro athlete to swear his head off in a public domain and that the NBL as an organization should condone it especially as it frequented and easily accessible by younger children? If by thinking that is not really awesome behavior for a professional athlete I'm climbing on my soap box, so be it....

Reply #303452 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"his action probably also indicates his and many in the league's displeasure against Perth; he just had the balls to come out and show how he felt."

So by defacing Perth's property, denying doing it and accusing them of harrassing him, then coming out after saying he did do it and Perth need to toughen up, he is showing displeasure at Perth? Right....

I'm going to throw a brick through your lounge window tonight. When you call the police, I'll deny it, but then I'll finally admit to doing it, saying it was your fault anyway. Yes, that will sure make you look silly!

Reply #303477 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Perth fan (Devlin) goes after every visiting import/player. Probably best to ignore him. Looks a bit like Clint Dogg actually.

Reply #303479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Homicide isn't allowed to swear on a Twiiter account which is set to private so only his followers can see what he says BUT every coach in the country can swear during LIVE broadcasted time-outs?

Where's the warning to Westover for swearing 6 times on camera in one time-out?

Reply #303482 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

prob a fair enough question to ask anon

Reply #303487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Situation- I will put you to rest and not claim it before you even have a chance to come to my windows

Reply #303512 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

The point about swearing in time-outs is valid. Must admit it made my kids look twice. Fines are the way to go with this stuff ..... or leave the mike out of it.

Reply #303556 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

This whole thread has become a character reference for Williams. He was cautioned for using foul language. No one needs to use foul language to convey a message. Putting everything else aside about him and his basketball, he needs to choose his words carefully. That's all, very simple really.

Reply #303567 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

> The Perth fan (Devlin) goes after every visiting
> import/player. Probably best to ignore him.
> Looks a bit like Clint Dogg actually.

It's not strictly imports he goes after, he tries it on with a few people and the ones that bite he tends to stick with forever.

> I heard the bold headed dude they were talking to
> at end of game was challenging Devendorf to take
> it outside after the game.

Asking a player to "take it outside" doesn't sound like his style at all though so I would say that is total BS.
He always keeps it calm & clean, and most people at the game could verify that because he is often audible from across the other side of the stadium. He is harmless - just loud and relentless.

Reply #303582 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Dan - didn't look like it was all 'calm and clean' at the end if the game last week though? That being said the players need to be able to just walk way from heckling from the sidelines, especially when they've got the win. Just smile, look up at the scoreboard and walk away - not many comebacks to that :)

Reply #303585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that Devlin is calm and clean. The way he carries on each game is a joke and that woman who was with him looked very stupid waving at Homicide and Devendorf. Did they fail to realise who won the game?

Reply #303595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And why is he allowed that close to the court?

Why is anyone allowed that close to the court?

Read the FIBA rules, the signage and spectators at Perth are closer then FIBA rules allow.

What if he got upset at a referee's decision and in the heat of the moment reached over and punched one of the refs? He's able to sitting where he is.

What's the point of having rules when they're not enforced? Oh wait this is the NBL we're talking about.

Reply #303609 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is he that much closer than front row at the 36ers behind the digital signage? People in those seats could reach someone standing out of court.

Not just the NBL either - NBA courts are crawling with people. Baseline is covered with seated photographers/etc. Hollywood seats are right on the court. The huge team entourages extend into fan areas.

Reply #303611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac the signs at the Dome are about a metre further away from the court then the Wildcats signs

Then there's over a meter again between the signs and the first row. All of whom sit behind boards and chains encouraging them to stay off the court, although obviously they won't stop someone if they really wanted to.

In the NBA those courtside and hollywood seats are surrounded by security. Have a look at all the suits down there next time.

FIBA rules say 2 metres from the court to anything, signage, spectators, coaches, benches etc.

Wildcats signage is not 2 meters from the court and the fans sit right behind and actually put their childen on the signage.

It's just a matter of time ...

Reply #303613 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is this everyone's favourite Dome killjoy? ;)

Reply #303616 | Report this post

Dome killjoy  
Years ago

Sorry to disappoint you Isaac but not me :)

Reply #303620 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That means you have competition as Stadium Pedant!

Original anon, no issue with what you've been saying. As you've said, it's the NBL and I don't think they'd call Perth into line.

Reply #303623 | Report this post

Dome killjoy  
Years ago

How upsetting.

I clearly have to work to increase my killjoy factor.

Now where did that mascot go!? ;)

Reply #303625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

has williams been released by the tigers?

what was he just talking about on onehd?

i missed it

Reply #303668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hilarious interview with Homicide on Overtime tonight. Ripped off his Tigers shirt mid interview to unveil a homemade black t-shirt with big "@chomicide" in white print on the chest.

Julius Hodge take not you can still be a character in the NBL without going too far.

Reply #303681 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:45 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754