intersted
Years ago

ABL movements?

Now that we are post xmas and ABL teams will be starting to crank up their pre-seasons has anyone heard of which players have changed clubs or left altogether ?
Obviously there is Cattalini to West with Dowdell and also Braithwaite going there from Tigerland but what else is going on ?
Have heard Centrals have signed a yank ? Boal another possibly to leave Tigerland too....
Anyone heard where the sixers are playing ? aparently Marty will be telling his players where to play and Forestville usually have something up their sleeve !

Any way if you have any info lets hear it and hope that any movements will add interest to the league ..

Topic #24734 | Report this topic

Grape Vine  
Years ago

I hear that Tess Madgen has signed wth Centrals and have recruited one more WNBL player.

Reply #303588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Peter Hooley to South.

Reply #303591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is coaching Tigers men?

Reply #303597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shaun Jennings coaching Tigers Men..

Reply #303602 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

I think you may see a very different Panthers line up this season.

Reply #303619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So why is there so many tiger players leaving?

Reply #303622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any word on Final coaching lineups?

Reply #303624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why so many tigers leaving?

probably because they arent MATES with the coach so not guaranteed court time

Reply #303627 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

think you will find they are leaving Tigerland cause the club wont put any money into the program and is running on a shoestring !
More interested in being a bank and saving $$$ rather than trying to win and promote bball down South !

heard Panthers may also be close to getting Creek !

Reply #303631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its Amatuer basketball why should these guys be getting paid, after all it is a junior basketball club, develop the juniors and success will come

Reply #303633 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Interested

How does a Club Junior program benefit if you win an ABA flag?

Reply #303636 | Report this post

slick  
Years ago

no one is going to get rich playing ABA, if your'e playing for money you are playing for the wrong reasons

Reply #303638 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Panthers may have a very good chance of getting Creek along with Aaron Bruce joining other Horsham boys Cam Bruce and Jeremy Read.
They are all good friends so wouldn't surprise me.

Reply #303648 | Report this post

--  
Years ago

Interested, Well that would be a first for Southern / Noarlunga not to spend stupid amounts of money on their senior men. Perhaps they are learning or need to put all their money into their full time Basketball Manager?

Reply #303654 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Looks like the teams next season should be pretty good across the board with the inflow of the Sixers players. Has Sam Harris signed anywhere yet?

Reply #303657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam Harris has signed at Bendigo

Reply #303660 | Report this post

new coach  
Years ago

luke frost has moved to lions from south, round 1 proposed is south v lions at plex. Gary birmingham and Zane reeves gone back to coachless warriors.

Reply #303675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find Tess Madgen wouldnt be going to Centrals. Only attraction there would be money and from what I have heard shes not a money chaser (like Erin was). Arent there 3 Madgen kids that play for Eastern? I think the family are pretty loyal to that club.

Reply #303691 | Report this post

The Man  
Years ago

I think having to play under Brenton last year would have be enough to make her want to move!

Reply #303700 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

I heard that Norwood were chasing Burdon pretty hard, dunno if that has any legs to it or if its just a rumour.

Reply #303705 | Report this post

coach  
Years ago

burdon def a rumour read the borderwatch newspaper, he has resigned with mount gambier.

Burdon signs on for second season with Pioneers
Posted on November 29, 2010, 10:10am
Coming on the back of the revamped branding of the Mount Gambier Pioneers, the region's premier basketball team are pleased to announce they have re-signed guard Erik Burdon for the upcoming 2011 South East Australian Basketball League season.

Burdon is highly experienced player, having not only participated in the Australian Basketball Association, but is also a former member of the Adelaide 36ers, competing in the National Basketball League.
This will be Burdon’s second season with the Pioneers and to be able to retain his services is a step in the right direction if the club is to continue moving forward.

Burdon was highly sought after by other SEABL and ABA clubs but cited his enjoyment of the system the Pioneers have put in place as a major reason behind him re-signing.

"The decision to sign was easy. The club is heading in the right direction both on and off the court," Burdon said.

“It’s exciting times ahead for the 2011 season, we have a great coach that keeps improving my game and we have a tight knit playing group which is fun to train and play with every week,” he said.

Burdon was a starting guard in the 2010 season where he averaged 14 points, three rebounds and three assists per game.

Twice during the season Burdon achieved a high score of 25 points against both Ballarat and Canberra, and also led the side in free throw percentage, shooting at 87pc.

To cap off Burdon’s stellar season, he was invited to travel to China with the SEABL All-Stars team, yet another reason why he will be a valuable member of the Pioneers’ 2011 campaign.

Head coach Andrew Summerville said he was excited Burdon had decided to join the Pioneers for another season.

“He is a quality player and a quality individual that will only make our program stronger.” he said.

“Having seen Erik play in the past for the 36ers, I know what he is capable of and I know we only saw him at about 75pc this year.”

Summerville said it took Burdon a while to adjust to the strength of the SECBL and after playing limited minutes with the 36ers, it was always going to take him a year of big minutes with the Pioneers to get his game up to where it can be.

“I know I can go to him at any time, we have a great relationship, we trust each other and he is a pleasure to coach,” Summerville said.

“I’m expecting this year to be a break out year for Erik.”

Reply #303713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i do not think that mav have a new coach johnston is coaching under 23 girls at norwood. South Girl will have a new coach and girls seem a lot happier.

Reply #303730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So are West Under 23's Girls

Reply #303743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And new west aba

Reply #303756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do West have to get a different uniform with Magic Bearcats on it?

Reply #303758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

west won't be getting a new uniform with magic bearcats..

they are still the west adelaide bearcats

Reply #303787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt can only play 2 restricted players and so someone has to go, unfortunately it had to be Angela.

Reply #303789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Angela is going to play overseas. She has been there since 12s

Reply #303794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leave her alone - the game is Bigger than 1 person are we ALL jealous of her and envious of her ability to play the game. She has worked hard from her younger years practicing ALL the time. Stop being bitter

Reply #303803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

loser is currently the lightning and it's gone downhill since lucas left there.

Reply #303804 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Brenton got harshly dealt with at mavs, a very good coach that had very little to work with. Wish him all the best.

Reply #303810 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

No Forestville jibes yet........what the

Reply #303812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

heard an NZ/OZ has bought an overseas team

Reply #303823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

south have a new abl coach west still have sam i have heard

Reply #303824 | Report this post

SS Tomatin  
Years ago

Im still trying to put my ear to railway track and hear if Sam is still at West(its still not a merger,when will people read)Adelaide.She has moved her Tv to Dandenong as far as I could hear?
The West womens coach hasnt been gas bagged either!

Reply #303842 | Report this post

Phantom  
Years ago

West coach already been named. And no its not Sam. She is staying in Melbourne. Its a dark horse that I think will surprise most people when it is officially released.

Until then speculate away...........

Reply #303872 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Come on Phantom, it's all too easy to say you know something when you don't, how about a cryptic clue if you know!

Reply #303875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have heard the West coach is a former Lightning coach.

Reply #303888 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Wow Scott Ninnis or Phil Smyth is coaching the women!

Reply #303890 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Whoops misread that previous post, my bad!

Reply #303891 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

Vince may be back

Reply #303892 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Would love to see either of those blokes coach a team

Reply #303898 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Brad, saw an article in the Messenger recently about Smyth being development/psychology coach for his daughter's netball team.

Reply #303899 | Report this post

Libra Girl  
Years ago

Yep, Phil has the role of 'Player Development & Mentor' for the Premier League team (State League - same level as ABL) for the Western Jets Netball Club.

http://www.westernjets.com/premier-league.html

Reply #303904 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

News from Norwood has been quiet.

Men: A new coach in Brad Davidson and with the retirement of David Cooper, will we see someone sit on the bench as a new assistant coach?

Who else from the men has retired? or will they find enough oil for their wheelchairs and walking frames for one more season?

Women: 2010 season saw a few injuries, drops out and interstate moves - are we correct in assuming the Norwood career of at least 2 high profile players is definitely over?

Reply #303905 | Report this post

The Man  
Years ago

Kobe-for-MVP - is that you Brenton? Seriously, no one else would be that delusion to say that.

Reply #303907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Libra Girl actually they play in the Premier League reserves which is like playing Monday Night reserves for a SA church or Torrens Valley in basketball.

Reply #303908 | Report this post

Libra Girl  
Years ago

Yep good call, they just got promoted into that league, so its like Div 2.

Reply #303911 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Anothr high profile coach going into that type of role, Jan Stirling does it for Port Power. I would have thought that Phil could have gone a little bit higher than State League netball though with the connections he has. But I guess he is doing it as a bit of a favour because it's his daughters team.

Reply #303919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hambour to Norwood.

Reply #303921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brenton had nothing to work with? didn't he have 2 halls medalists in 3 years? when was the last time the halls medalist's team didn't make finals other than eastern twice.

Reply #303922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But he didn't have anything around them that was even close to reasonable. In fact, had a bunch of castoffs and eastern kids who have never been any good.

1 player a good team does not make.

Reply #303923 | Report this post

bored  
Years ago

so nothing has happened really over the summer!!!

Reply #303924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Defamatory.)

Reply #303934 | Report this post

The Man  
Years ago

Agreed Anon, although I don't know about listing Deb Wilcox with the likes of Francis, Madgen and Williams. Brenton had plenty to work with in his time at Eastern. You don't ever get given a team of superstars on a silver platter, you get players at different levels and the job of a coach is to pull them together and make them play well as a unit.
The guy is so amateur and clueless it's a joke.
Bet Eastern's committee is glad they held onto him last season because as a result they've almost lost their entire ABL team. Good decision!

Reply #303942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard the the new coach has gotten rid of a number of players this year as well.

Reply #303943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilcox! WTF?

Reply #303944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RE: EASTERN
2009 - Cayla Francis - saw out her contract and didn't play ABL in SA the next year.
finished 8th.

2010 - Tess Madgen - saw out her contract and who knows where/what she'll do next year. Centrals rumour.
finished 7th.

Amanda Williams - saw out her contract and moved to Norwood the next season to experience greater success.

Deb Wilcox and Shay Bayly quit - so what?

10 or so players - who and why?

As previously stated, Brenton had a bunch of second-stringers from other clubs, and Eastern kids who haven't received the best junior coaching available.

1 player a good team does not make.

BTW, Simon Pritchard believes Brenton is a reasonable coach, otherwise why would he:
1. Continue to want him as Ass.Coach for State U20s?
2. Get Brenton to coach Norwood U23s?
3. Have Brenton as his ABL Ass.Coach?

Reply #303952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The man, sure its not the structure that's stuffed? Not the first or last coach to be sacked to make way for a father and daughter combo and the better talent left on the new coach's appointment so be careful what you wish for.

Reply #303953 | Report this post

Vince  
Years ago

Vicki Vaulk to coach West Women...

Reply #303958 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Will we see some movement from Norwood to West, or do transfers only go eastwards? (and southwards)

Reply #303961 | Report this post

new coach  
Years ago

you can only recruit 2 required players max and only one from a club so unless they are removed from the list clubs can hold there clearance up.

Reply #303964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

THE MAN- by any chance are you one of the outcasts? :)

Reply #303972 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Tess Madgen confirmed at Centals and Jess Mahony looking like heading there also. Plus a gil from the AIS. Georgia or Olivia - dont know as yet.

Centrals have done some great recruiting in the off season.

Salary cap issues?????

Reply #303990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Must be Georgia because Olivia is there for another year I believe. Forestville won't be happy losing Georgia

Reply #303991 | Report this post

Years ago

who is coaching centrals women ?

Reply #303993 | Report this post

Years ago

those 2 for centrals make sense cause they are originally from close country areas

Reply #303994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A guy from the USA is coaching the Centrals women. I think his name is Tony.

Reply #303995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

like anyone checks abl salary caps! abl salary caps exist to give the league a professional image not to equalise the comp.

Reply #303999 | Report this post

bang  
Years ago

Tony Moore is the centrals womens coach, salary cap not being breached. players dont always leave clubs for the money.

eagles will throw plenty at Jess to stay, if it was $$ related she wouldnt leave I'm sure.

Reply #304000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ABL Womens coach 201122 Dec 2010
http://www.sturtsabres.com.au/news/
It gives us great pleasure in announcing that Chris Lucas has been appointed head coach of our Senior womens group for the upcoming 2011 season. Read more

Reply #304003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wise from f/ville to panthers
Turner from f/ville to tigers

Reply #304004 | Report this post

Salary Cap  
Years ago

Centrals program the big spenders in 2011...

Reply #304008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bang, I think its good for Centrals to boost their ABL team but until u strengthen your juniors u will always have to pay top dollar to suit up a decent senior side and always rely on other clubs to provide the players. Good on ya for doing something tho. Will backward looking woodville become the new centrals? Would be magic to think so.

Reply #304009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't Tony Moore a US Navy Seal once?

Reply #304031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville men have lost Leuttgerogt(oversees), Gerlach(year off), Arnold(retired), Dougie(retired). That's 4 out of last years starting 5. However it is my understanding that only these 4 and Sullivan were getting paid last year so losing these 4 would at least give them some money to play with.(and before people start getting in to them Forsestville is very much a club run my junior minded people now and do not throw money around anymore. The last 2 seasons they havn't even used up the whole salery cap!)
They bring in Trent Fildes(back from college), John Wornham(back from injury). Harvey back from injury/college. Not sure of any other signings. Obviously Simons would be trying to get a big man.

Could we see the eagles out of the finals for only the second time in 13 years???

So far they have Doyle, Sullivan, Blair, Fildes, Wornham, B Haydon, Harvey, Boonstopple?, Robertson. Can't think of too many more. It certainly is a base of what could be a very promising group in 2-3 years but without at least 2 big names you would think a championship is out of the question.

Reply #304032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eastern Men? is Brad coming back? Benny Madgen? Breheny? dodman? i heard dodman got good offers from country and amateur footy clubs.

Reply #304042 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Forestville (as do other clubs) need to curb spending in a program that plays players from other clubs and pays them.

Also hear the Mia might be going,Jess to Centrals for sure, but everyone thinks Georgia will play at Eagles.

Interesting year for Simons family and will test their coaching with a lot of retirements and movements.

Reply #304055 | Report this post

bang  
Years ago

eagles still very much in the hunt for rashaad tucker and some 36er players

Reply #304056 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Bang, I would not be surprised if a lot of non-aligned Sixers players manage to miraculously end up at Forestville.

Reply #304058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Sniping.)

Reply #304084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

heard dodman has been talking to football club and baskeball club see were he can get more money from.

Reply #304129 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

Vicki Valk was introduced to players as the new Bearcats ABA Womens coach today, due to unavailability of Sam Woosnam with her opportunities to remain in Victoria.
A positive move for West with many young players coming through and Vicki's determination to provide opportunities for Juniors
Reg Grantham will be the Assistant Coach and has already provided the club with premierships.
Things are looking good for mens & womens program in 2011

Reply #304164 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Dodman playing footy this season

Reply #304166 | Report this post

Come Back Kid  
Years ago

Big rumour is that Dee Ranford will make a comeback in 2011 for the Eagles..

Reply #304167 | Report this post

Revhead  
Years ago

084 At least he has the courage to put his head on the chopping block, for useless cowards like you to try and chop off anonymously. Perhaps you can tell us what your coaching credentials are, I would be most interested in knowing what club, if any have been stupid enough to appoint you.

Reply #304178 | Report this post

Libra Girl  
Years ago

Anon 304031 - yes he was...

Reply #304203 | Report this post

Phantom  
Years ago

Have heard that West woman's coach is Glenn Shaw and Eastern is Bill Wilson??
Don't know if true but that's what I've heard!

Reply #304336 | Report this post

Filthy mexican  
Years ago

I can confirm that Vicki valk is the west womens coach! Anything else is just not true.

Reply #304341 | Report this post

Bill Wilson new Mavs Coach.

Reply #304346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centrals men squad went down by 15 to the u20 State men last night. Good game by both sides.

Reply #304366 | Report this post

hey Phantom (3 posts ago) get ur own nick name.

Reply #304369 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

There almost needs to be a listing of names somewhere, or a way to stop people from posting under your name!

Reply #304381 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

One day I will do it.

Reply #304387 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

I don't thik you ever need to worry about Forestville not playing whilst Andy is there. Seems to run a very good ship each year and with those young kids named will still be up and running. The fact that he can now also go for one or two players with NBL experience because of the retirements will only benefit the group.
I ave heard from a very good source that Rashard Tucker is a definite for them and I know Andy has been chasing Daniel Johnson quite hard with the help of Marty Clarke, but I think he may have signed already elsewhere...
Don't be surprised to see Rhys Carter go to North, but may have to play a very limited role due to his ongoing back issues.
It seems Marty is trying to help out both Tracey and Andy seeing as they have helped him out throughout the year.

Reply #304398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

REVHEAD: You cant have courage without honor, no courage no honor no good.

Reply #304419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any changes to eagles women?

Reply #304421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have also heard from one of the players that Rashard Tucker is in for the Eagles

Reply #304422 | Report this post

ex tiger  
Years ago

who will be playing for the tiger men? any new recruits, will they be getting any of the sixer players?

Reply #304423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there under 23's

Reply #304433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cancer.

Reply #304436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does any one who in the teams this season....

Reply #304444 | Report this post

Phantom  
Years ago

To the other Phantom. Sorry mate but I've had this alias on here for at least two years!
So I think its you that need to change!! :)

Reply #304469 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Whoah!

There's only one way to decide this, a game of HORSE!

Reply #304471 | Report this post

Hey Phantom, send me an sms (you have my number still?) then I will announce to the forum which posts are by the real Phantom (even though I don't believe in ghosts).

Problem saved.

Reply #304473 | Report this post

DOH! Problem solved, not saved.

Reply #304474 | Report this post

Phantom  
Years ago

Sorry Pickles I don't have your number only your cousins B.W.
Will catch on facebook to catch up what you been up to and what happened up the hill?

Reply #304475 | Report this post

Ex Phantom / Robo  
Years ago

It's ok I'll change my alias and Pickles DOH is correct and you are a teacher.

Reply #304481 | Report this post

lmao, I miss hoops for half a day and all this happens. damn. Thanks Phantom / Robo. hahahaha

Reply #304495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amber Land to the Hobart Lady Chargers

Reply #304511 | Report this post

Phantom  
Years ago

Same team as Mia Newley??

Reply #304514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope Mia to Launceston

Reply #304517 | Report this post

Robo  
Years ago

So womens coaches next are:
West - Vicki Valk
South - Vikki Kelson
Sturt - Chris Lucas
Mav's - Bill Wilson
Norwood - Simon Pritchard
Woodville - Karen Winter
Southern - Willie Jenette
North - Tanya Dhu
Centrals - ?????

sorry for any spelling mistakes.
This looks to me as a good group of coaches for the womens comp!
I don't know who got the Centrals job could someone let me know.

Reply #304533 | Report this post

Phantom  
Years ago

Central's coach is Tony (Navy Seal) Moore.

With Jess, Tess and Georgia signed at Centrals think the league should start worrying a little.

My pick is for Eastern to pick up the wooden spoon this year. Not because they are crap (which they wont be), but because they will be a young group still developing.

Reply #304540 | Report this post

Woodville may struggle with a new coach? Maybe teh battle will be between Eastern and Woodville for teh spoon?

Reply #304543 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Gee I thought Kevin Brooks had the Centrals Women's job?

Reply #304546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who said Georgia is going to centrals last I heard she said no and was staying at forestville

Reply #304548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What possessed Woodville to appoint Ms Winter coach to follow a decade of standing still? Seemed a perfect time to start a fresh with a quality coach with some player pulling potential.

Reply #304549 | Report this post

no other applicants?

Reply #304553 | Report this post

spurs_suck  
Years ago

georgia is playing for forestville

Reply #304554 | Report this post

rocketman  
Years ago

Lions women have picked up 2 former Halls medal winners in one day. wow wow and triple wow.

Reply #304558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville never advertised, so thats why there was no other applications.

Reply #304590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then Centrals are to be congratulated on finally making headway and Woodville condemned for nest feathering

Reply #304591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolutely,

Especially all those people who said that they would start to focus on improving their juniors and not just spend money on seniors that drain an already struggling club. The money they are throughing sround could not possibly be put to better use recruiting juniors and improving the club as a whole.

Reply #304596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who says they're spending money?

There are other reasons why people move clubs. Especially at ABL level where there's so little money on offer anyway.

Reply #304611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the Lions have an exciting program.

They have heaps of resources been poured into junior development and recruitment by working closely with STARplex, the largest school in South Australia and local Country ASsociations.

Some of these Senior players may like the idea of playing under a coach with american basketball background and having access to some great athletic development resources to develop their games, as well as the challenge and notoriaty of turning around the Women's program which will potentially help them get ticks for their recruitment to WNBL/College teams. Its exciting really.

Reply #304646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah sure,

Those players must have seen all those players that have come out of the senior and junior programs at Centrals and thought that they can't get anywhere at the club that has looked after them for the past 10 years getting them where they are now. Sure. Im convinced.

Reply #304657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Starplex is close to home? Like it is for Madgen?

Or work?

There are other reasons.

Reply #304659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course there are, really. No. I believe you.

Reply #304663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why pick on Centrals alone for junior development. You could lump both Woodville and Souths into that basket of non development with both clubs not filling all div 1 quotas and with almost all their girls' sides winless and on or near the bottom of the ladder. Both Mavs and Southern don't fare much better but have 'recruited' from other clubs to cover their deficiencies.
Centrals seem proactive and on the right track but it's debatable Woodville will survive given it has blown every leg up it ever got and their administrators did better than their teams.
Hope centrals thrive for basketball's sake and district clubs reduce to between 6 and 8 in 2012.

Reply #304691 | Report this post

mo' money  
Years ago

Playa lists yet anyone??

Reply #304695 | Report this post

Sorry  
Years ago

And this is the kind of thing that happens at Centrals every 5 years for the last 20 years.

Use all your money to bring in ABA players hopeing for a payoff after winning the title.

After 1 or 2 years, the junior parents work out that they would be better of moving clubs because all their money is going to a couple of ABL players.

Junior quit and go elsewhere and the club goes back down the drain. How would you feel being a junior coach or junior director knowing that a coule of players are going to be paid more than you to play 18 games?

Reply #304699 | Report this post

Go watch a Mavs D1 U18 Girls team for their Girls ABL list.

Reply #304700 | Report this post

Libra Girl  
Years ago

Sorry - Sorry but I dont agree. Having played at sport at this level for nearly 10 years, both for a bottom end club and a championship club, I think this is smart by Centrals. Big name players draws other players. Lifts the skill level of all those around them and people work harder and have better attitudes. Keeps the kids interested and working hard, thinking one day they too will be like 'Tess'. I can say this from personal experience.

Its about time they did something, and you all have been saying that for a long time. Now they are doing something, you are bagging them too! Cant win!

And, as mentioned previously, you dont know for a FACT if those players are being paid and how much... or do you????

Reply #304704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Totally agree Libra Girl!

Reply #304707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry : It happens at all clubs that the senior women get paid and most more than JDO's and what coach gets paid for coaching juniors?
As for JDO's, Woodville now have JDO's coming out of their proverbials, 3 boys and 3 girls JDO's. Cynic that I am, I can't see this as anything more than money going the drain because it certainly hasn't borne fruit.

Reply #304708 | Report this post

Sorry  
Years ago

Libra Girl,

People talk, players talk to their friends, agents talk to multiple clubs.

This is the kind of thing that has sunk clubs for years.

It gives the ABA team a boost for a year. Tess isn't going to be in Adelaide forever, what happens when she leaves? Look at how the Erin Phillips signing worked out for them.

Reply #304709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry,
Tess will pay more than 3 games for a start. She also will expect a certain effort level from her team mates.

Reply #304711 | Report this post

Sorry  
Years ago

Really, what happens when she gets a call up into the Aussie squad for a tour? Or camps?

Reply #304714 | Report this post

Libra Girl  
Years ago

Then she goes? She's not the whole team? She is a big part of the team!

Bottom line is that they can only benefit from this. Things seemed pretty average there, and something like this is a huge positive.

A few years ago I begged my club to pay a decent player (or 2) to boost the club!

The current group at Centrals, plus the up and coming juniors, will learn so much from these new experienced players.

If you want to climb to the top, you have to start somewhere.

Reply #304719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry,
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got... Change starts with one decision.

Much props to Centrals for making the change.

Reply #304733 | Report this post

coach  
Years ago

they have 3 other players recruited apart from tess, surely jess mahoney will make a few of the lions girls better players.

Reply #304759 | Report this post

Coach  
Years ago

Anyone know who is coaching Woodville Men...

Has an appointment been made yet...

Reply #305208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its waiting on the approval from the playing group..

Reply #305217 | Report this post

Coach  
Years ago

who is it then..

When did players pick a coach...

Reply #305225 | Report this post

new coach  
Years ago

hey apparently the Woodville men's coach has signed . Any news on who it is. Hope they went with experience and not someone green.

Come on leaky Woodville who is it.

Reply #305258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How long he lasts will Depend on how much game time the legends in their own minds get!

Reply #305380 | Report this post

Old Man  
Years ago

I heard it maybe a former coach returning.

Reply #305397 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I thought Ricky Simpson got the nod a long time back

Reply #305412 | Report this post

bang  
Years ago

Bugger it here goes ill announce it.

Al green is the new men's coach at Woodville signed on the weekend and at practice tonight.

He has started to tell others so now you all know. Guess Woodville not proud enough to announce it.

First order of business is Rashaad tucker.

Reply #305422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard a former 36er is coaching Woodville mens.

Reply #305424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's wrong Bang, you sound a little bitter?

Reply #305429 | Report this post

bang  
Years ago

not bitter at all just thought the warriors would have come out on the front foot and announced it.

most insiders have known for 48 hours and still nothing.

reckon he will be good for the group.

Reply #305430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes i agree with that, i thought they would of said something tonight for sure.

Reply #305437 | Report this post

Coach  
Years ago

Bang, If most insiders knew for the last 48 hrs, which clearly included you, why didn't you announce it over the weekend...

Clearly you don't have any alegience to Woodviile so why wait...

Hasn't Tucker already hooked up with the Eagles...

Reply #305438 | Report this post

Years ago

Tucker is a definite for the Eagles. Has been with the group since the start of preseason.

Reply #305451 | Report this post

Take luck  
Years ago

The reason it wasnt announced Coach you idiot was so Al had time to inform Torrens Valley himself of his move so they didnt find on on here or through the grapevine. It wasnt announced for that reason and that reason alone. So coach/anon, you can keep your snide bitter comments to yourself becasue its getting old. not our fault you werent getting the job done

Reply #305466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

brandon brine gone to north

Reply #305486 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Is that the final nail in the coffin for Torrens Valley?

Reply #305490 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Congrats to Al Green if this is true. I know a lot of the former South boys have a lot of respect for him as a coach when he coached them in juniors.
Will definitely make things interesting though with Rashard Tucker. I know a friend asked Andy if Rashard had signed and he said no. Not sure if Andy was keeping his cards close to his chest or if he was just being honest. He has been training with them though but who knows if he has signed anything.
If he hasn't signed anything, my guess is he will be with Woodville.

Reply #305518 | Report this post

Coach  
Years ago

Take Luck,

Exactly what job was it that I wasn't getting done...

Torrens Valley found out Sunday so again why the delay....

Reply #305525 | Report this post

Rules  
Years ago

Maybe North should check the rules out first re Brine...

Reply #305526 | Report this post

bang  
Years ago

ok then lets sit and wait for the warriors to make the official announcement . Just checked their website , nothing under warrior breaking news.

Al was telling people sunday so it must be official to him.

Reply #305531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North probably know the rules it's the self confessed superstar that doesn't, did the same thing last year with a different club.

Reply #305535 | Report this post

Who Me  
Years ago

Wow, 164 posts on an ABL thread, almost 3 months before the season starts!

Does this mean that the Sixers and Lightning aren't doing very well?

Reply #305571 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If the 36ers and Lightning were doing well, I think there'd be less talk about them and even more about this!

Reply #305572 | Report this post

Who Me  
Years ago

True Isaac,

I was just reminiscing about the days of "Whats Hot, What's Not", "Panther", "The Awnser", "The Men in Black" (or whatever that group of tigers supporters called themselves), when the ABL was drawing regular interest on this forum.

If as many 36ers players stay in Adelaide through winter as is forecast, this may lead to a return to some excitement being generated league wide.

A large number of coaching changes always seems to see some player movement too.

I just hope most clubs are able to provide Live Stats this coming season, to keep the interest going.

Reply #305577 | Report this post

inside info  
Years ago

'8',how can you be so sure about that...

Reply #305660 | Report this post

coach  
Years ago

Al has made it quite clear that he will be making a run for Rashaad Tucker.

Although some weeks behind the eagles, Tucker has not signed with the eagles so Al will be a shot for sure.

Might need wilson and co to take a pay cut though, tucker not cheap I'm sure.

Reply #305672 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

Panther & Coach, why do you think Tucker will go with Woodville over the Eagles...

Reply #305674 | Report this post

coach  
Years ago

Al has made it clear in the past they he has a very strong commection with tucker.

Tucker has put off signing with Eagles for too long for it to be a done deal.

warriors announce Al's signing in their latest newsletter (website) right after the article about their womens coach having their first child. Mother and baby doing well by the way.

Reply #305683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe North should check the rules out first re Brine...??????????????????????????

He is moving to join the ABL side and his dad lives around the cornner thats why he is moving

Reply #305684 | Report this post

Rules r Rules  
Years ago

Thats all great however you may still like to check the rules of the competition...

Reply #305688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well if you know the rules show them ?

Reply #305691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We are talking ABL! rules

Reply #305692 | Report this post

bang  
Years ago

firstly he is contracted and secondly a required player.

Needs to be allowed out of his contract signed about 8 weeks ago.

Tigers are only required to clear 2 required players in off season. Seems boal to south and tristan to west fill that requirement. So really tigers could sit on the clearance and make him sit out the season. There also seems to be a required recruitment letter missing.

Reply #305696 | Report this post

bang  
Years ago

firstly he is contracted and secondly a required player.

Needs to be allowed out of his contract signed about 8 weeks ago.

Tigers are only required to clear 2 required players in off season. Seems boal to south and tristan to west fill that requirement. So really tigers could sit on the clearance and make him sit out the season. There also seems to be a required recruitment letter missing.

Reply #305698 | Report this post

Rules r Rules  
Years ago

that sounds like the rules...

Reply #305704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there are no rules in abl just ways around them.

Reply #305708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When do the the teams come out must be soon

Reply #305710 | Report this post

Rules r Rules  
Years ago

Will Tigers & Rockets negotiate & not have a player sit out if he doesn't want to play there anymore if what 'Bang' stipulates above is accurate.

Reply #305714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The guy tried pulling the same thing last year, was going to go to sturt, tigers better off without him

Reply #305725 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Sounds like good news for the Warrior men. Can anyone fill me in on Al's coaching background? I know he does the kids camps and has coached at Torrens Valley for a long time. Has he coached ABL or SEABL or before? If so, how did he go? He seems to always get his Torrens Valley guys to play hard even though they dont have the talent other teams have.

Reply #305749 | Report this post

Who Me  
Years ago

Coached South ABL Women for a few years, including one Grand Final appearance. (He was also South's JDO during the same period)

I can't remember when he finished up at South, I think it may have been 2004 or 2005 (I do remember that he and Mark Davis were coaching ABL at the same time at South and Mark's only season was 2004. Kaye-lee Elsdon was Coach for one season, then Glenn Shaw took over, but I'm not sure how many years Glenn coached for either!)

Reply #305753 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think it was seasons 2002, 2003, and 2004

Reply #305773 | Report this post

lickity split  
Years ago

Some ppl need to actually know some background to stories before making comments i think. The reason I have heard from players that have left and others that are still there in regards to Southern is more about the club itself and the lack of talent and depth of the squad. Hey look at the poor response the club gets on this forum! Don't believe it has anything to do with who is coaching and being mates with coaches.

Reply #305911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so what exactly is wrong with the club??

Reply #305919 | Report this post

mm  
Years ago

West have gone from an Abl team mainly of west players to a team full of imports from oter clubs, over the last few years thier Abl side was home grown but now alot of new faces, What dose this say about thier development?

Reply #305941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

west women or men?
i think you're mistaken either way.

Reply #305947 | Report this post

Years ago

Rashard Tucker played on Monday night for Forestville in a trial game.

Reply #307682 | Report this post

CP3  
Years ago

I hear Central's ABL Women Dream Team is not going to become a reality. Madgen has changed her mind about joining Centrals & i hear that Mahony will be playing at Norwood. Making Norwood overloaded at the Point Guard position i.e. Mahony, McDermott & Hansberry all fightning each other for minutes!

Reply #307715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when does the names of the team come out for abl i know most clubs have signed up there players

Reply #307718 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

I think your right CP3 about big troubles in little china.

Your not quite accurate with the destinations of the 2 players concerned.

I think you will find 1 player is likely to follow Chris Lucas the other?

Reply #307724 | Report this post

Loyal  
Years ago

Surely Mahoney would remain with the Eagles now things dont seem as they were supposed to be at the Salary Cap lions..

Reply #307820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lions movements have nothing to do with salary caps! Player movements arent comfirmed we'll just have to wait and see.

Reply #308077 | Report this post

eagle nest  
Years ago

she left eagles in the first place because she wasnt happy, why go back just because she is not staying at the lions

Reply #308100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cattalini not playing for West now...

Reply #309626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

heard south boys have nearly a new team....harding football hirst football bruce gone and a few have finshed playing

Reply #309633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South men losses: Gazzo (Gold Coast), CBruce (Horsham), Frost (Centrals), Blight (Woodville).

There's plenty of court time to go around. Before complaining about a coach being pro active in improving a damaged team, how about you inform us who exactly won't be getting the court time they deserve?

Reply #309667 | Report this post

Mimas 53  
Years ago

eagle nest looks jealous that his eagles can't land any serous recruits this year.

Reply #309668 | Report this post

Me  
Years ago

He can have DJ and bet Bruce won't be playing here, he will be doing pre-season for the kings.

Heard a rumour the tigers have recruited from America

Reply #309677 | Report this post

2 Faced  
Years ago

This is the same coach that has sprouted junior development from the roof tops for so long..

Funny as soon as he gets a senior job that goes out the window and recruiting appears to have taken over from junior development..

Those not getting court time will be those that play behind all of his recruits...

Good luck Boal and Wise in particular...

Reply #309686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great mind games from the Eagles guys. Love it, love it.

There's plenty of game-time to go around at Panther land. See you during ABL season guys.

Reply #309690 | Report this post

eagle nest  
Years ago

i would think rashaad tucker is a pretty good recuit for the eagles??

Reply #309693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When is the last time an Eagle junior got any court time?

Reply #309695 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

How has Tony gone away from his youth policy? He will probably have 2 players over the age of 25 in McKenzie and Pilkington. He has a list that includes 4 under 20 state players, and has potentially recruited another under 20 player and a bloke who is 23 years old.
With older players such as Frost and Blight leaving the roster has got a lot younger. How young do you want him to go???
And if I was an Eagles supporter I wouldn't go sprouting about buying a championship when we all know your players majority of which have been recruited (Pero, Riley, Arnold, Sullivan, Gerlach, Oakley, Blair, Hoban and that's only the last 5 years) have been getting paid under the table for years!

Reply #309698 | Report this post

2 Faced  
Years ago

Yes thats right 4 under 20 state players that he selected...A first in Souths history...

Reply #309709 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Regardless of whether or not they played state, the statement was he is going away from his "youth policy", so are you saying if he didn't select them in the state team they would automatically tun 30??? Dickhead!

Reply #309816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think he has gone away from his youth policy, he might of gone away from using a team formed from South juniors, but with every ABA team there are imports/ guys from different clubs etc. I think we should be thankful for the fact that there a are going to be some really high standard games this year, with a high number of NBL players coming into the league. It should be a good quality year.

Reply #309820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spots must be tight down at Sabres land, game before mine, Div2 semi Sturt V Sturt. Watched a player take a swing at one of his own in the other team. About 5 had to pull him off.
WTF

Reply #309891 | Report this post

2 Faced  
Years ago

'The Brad', who exactly were you pointing your comments towards...

I believe I mentioned 'Junior Development' not Youth Policy.

Oh yea, add Pilkington to the list of South guys that will be pushed back down the bench..

Reply #309896 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

One of the problems currently at South is they don't have a lot coming through under 18's. They had a good group come through in Lachlan Prest, Isaiah Omamogho and Ryan Gardner over th last 2 years and then it goes dry for a while. They may only get one ABL standard player over the next 4 years come out of juniors so I don't see a problem recruiting some young guys who want to have a crack at ABL level. Both Hooley and Wise have been training with ABL groups and are looking at opportunity and development rather than money.
It would be a different story if he went out and offered someone like a Arnold or Gerlach big cash to come across. He has recruited young players to "develop", so I don't think he has gone away from Junior Development at all. Like I said, he has 4 Under 20's state players (whether he selected them or not) which are still classified as juniors that he will develop and to add to that group a quality senior player like Boal who has been considering the move down the hill for a couple of years can only help with the development of guys like Isaiah and Ryan.

Reply #309914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 Faced you're wrong about the 4 state players being a club first but that's not important.

Why do you care? Have South done something to upset you personally by approaching young NBL players? Two of whom have a connection to the club already.

Did he turn you down? Are you at a club which tried to recruit these same players?

As far as I know none of the three are signed yet anyway so right now this is all talk.

As mentioned above with the losses from last year and add to that the loss of Kosmider the year before there are plenty of minutes to go around at Panther land.

Why all the hate?

Reply #309915 | Report this post

2 Faced  
Years ago

nah no hate at all...& i don't really care just expressing an opinion which most do in this forum..

Reply #309986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when does the squad come out for all the abl teams not far i gather. can someone please tell us

Reply #310265 | Report this post

Phantom  
Years ago

Tess Madgen signed with Sturt!!!!

Reply #310273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a one man band, well my friend there goes the neighbourhood!
Is Jack T laughing or crying

Reply #310292 | Report this post

double blues  
Years ago

if she signed with Sturt that surely means 3 restricted players, marino was let go because they had 2 all ready. So who is not playing for Tess to play??

Reply #310293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tess is the starting five and isn't an eagle guard joining her?

Reply #310295 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I'm laughing. Until all ABA Squads have been formally signed up and have the BSA rubber stamp on the playing agreement, anyone could be playing anywhere. The comings and goings at each club are speculation until this time. South men are a classic, one minute the team is the Gazman and assorted drinking buddies pulled from the barstools of the Marion Hotel coached by one of their mums, the next it is the Horsham Hornets with Harold Miner as guest import and prodigal son Scotty Ninnis as coach assisted by Marty Clarke, with Jared Kimber as Team Manager.

With a month to go before tipoff, I can't wait to see exactly who is playing where, who's in, who's out, and more importantly, who's "bitchin' 'bout it on Hoops"

Reply #310297 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Hey Jack, I take offence to that, i'm no one's Mum!!! ;)

Reply #310312 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Sorry Panther, I used that as an example because there is so much speculation whether South will resemble the Sixers "B Team", or not.....

So who can we expect will suit up this season?

Reply #310316 | Report this post

up there!  
Years ago

well south will hardly be the sixers b team far from it they are trying to rebuild and get it back to the glory days. Tony and co have done a great job on revamping the whole team even if they are young if forestville or sturt were trying to recruit sixers players no one would bat an eye lid. they will surprise alot of teams this year...

Reply #310328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so much speculation - do we know for sure which 36ers are playing with which ABA team?

Reply #310345 | Report this post

warriors  
Years ago

seems warrior men have had another south big guy attend a practice session this week.

Man al green will have jason baylis out of retirement next

Reply #311414 | Report this post

Years ago

langford and madgen only restricted players - so that is 2 - the others are not.

are the cunningham sisters staying in town ? - they would be a good signing.

Reply #311415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What recruited policy?

No Hooley,
No Bruce,
No confirmation of Creek,
No confirmation of Johnson.

The only recruit they have is Boal.

And they have loss Frost, Gazzo, C.Bruce, Blight Hirst and possibly Pilkington.

Reply #311420 | Report this post

warriors  
Years ago

seb wise quit and hooley done during to ncaa regulations . Pilkinton gone to Woodville

Reply #311444 | Report this post

Wait a minute...  
Years ago

Someone here is just trying to dig the boot in any way they can (Hi Sweens). A lot of fiction being posted on this thread, very little fact.

Reply #311483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pilkington decided to quit on his team-mates a few weeks before the season. Very poor form.

Reply #311484 | Report this post

2 Faced  
Years ago

Fact according to todays paper has 2 sixers at south...

Reply #312077 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:55 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754