Tweet Tweet
Years ago

Complete List Of 36ers Imports

Complete List Of 36ers Imports

I'm bored at work and thought I'd kill 10 minutes by putting together a list of imports the Sixers have had year by year.

I'm making some serious guesses for the 1980's as I'm not nearly as familiar with that era.

For interest sake, is this list complete do you think?

1982 David Winslow, Reg Biddings
1983 David Winslow, Wayne McDaniel
1984 Dan Clausen, Dwayne Nelson
1985 Bill Jones, Brian Devincenzi, Mark Davis
1986 Mark Davis, Bill Jones
1987 Mark Davis, Bill Jones
1988 Mark Davis, Bill Jones
1989 Mark Davis, Orlando Phillips

1990 Mark Davis, Tom Schafer
1991 Mark Davis, Butch Hays
1992 Mark Davis, Butch Hays
1993 Mark Davis, Paris McCurdy, David Robinson
1994 Mark Davis, Robert Rose
1995 Mark Davis (half the season), Robert Rose, Jo Jo English
1996 Leon Trimmingham, Rick Brunson
1997 Leon Trimmingham, Jeff Brown, Willie Simmons
1998 Darnell Mee, Kevin Brooks
1998-99 Darnell Mee, Kevin Brooks

1999-00 Darnell Mee
2000-01 Darnell Mee, Kevin Brooks
2001-02 Willie Farley, Matt Garrison
2002-03 Charles Thomas, Dusty Rychart
2003-04 Charles Thomas, Dusty Rychart
2004-05 Willie Farley, Dusty Rychart
2005-06 Willie Farley, Dusty Rychart
2006-07 Willie Farley, Nick Horvath
2007-08 Adam Ballinger, Mike Chappell, Julius Hodge
2008-09 Adam Ballinger, Mark Tyndale, Julius Hodge, Rod Grizzard

2009-10 John Gilchrist, Cortez Groves
2010-11 Troy De Vries, Craig Winder, Eddie Shannon, Ron Howard

Topic #24738 | Report this topic

dog 35  
Years ago

Very impressed with your research, especially 1985!

Reply #303646 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Begs the question, why didn't Pud get naturalised sooner?

Reply #303655 | Report this post

Nolan Harcourt  
Years ago

Mean Al Green?

Reply #303658 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Green was an import with the West Adelaide Bearcats but naturalised by the time he played with the 36ers.

I remember Simmons earlier than 1997 but I'll stand corrected where I sit. Didn't he replace Davis for a while?

Reply #303663 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

If I recall correctly I thought Pud became an Australian citizen a few years before the NBL removed his status as an import. I vaguely recall there being criteria that prevented Davis playing as a local when he became a citizen. Or was that a FIBA requirement that prevented him playing for Australia?

Is my memory making a liar of me? Perhaps someone with a better memory or closer to Mark could verify that being correct.

Reply #303664 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

You are correct Ads
36ers even tried to take BA to court to say it was illegal when trying to get Kelvin Henderson to play. They argued that you can not be an Australian citizen conditionally, you either are or you aren't.

Henderson was good enough to play NBL as and Aussie but not good enough to hold an import spot.

The judge sided with BA/ FIBA because the rule at the time was designed to stop overnight imports becoming naturalised purely to play ball. I believe that this was aimed more at worlds and olympics tournament teams but it flowed down to other comps

I believe you had to play for 2 years as an import despite being an Australian citizen. Fisher and Grace also fell into the same ruling.

Reply #303665 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

KB that doesn't answer my question. He played 11 seasons before he was naturalised, with your answer he was an aussie two years before that, but what about the 9 years before that? Didn't he or the club realise they would both be better off after about 3 years?

Reply #303670 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

You remember better than me, I think Kent. My recollection was that the player had to have been naturalised for 3 years before they could play as a local.

I recall discussions with friends about why Mark Davis did not decide to become an Australian citizen sooner. Those discussions led to the revelation that there was this time one had to play after becoming a citizen, before qualifying as a local.

I don't know when the league changed on that rule.

Reply #303671 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I think back then he had to renounce his american citizenship all together, the rule was relaxed to allow dual citizenship which triggered his aussieness.

Reply #303674 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

I thought Pudd never planned on staying. He was always going back to the states to try and get an NBA gig. Just missing out on 2 occasions.

By the time he realised he was staying the import transition rules came in and he had to wait.

Reply #303676 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Think your right about big Wille Simmons MG.
Can remember him playing a couple of games in 93 and 94 when MD and Rob Rose were out injured.
He was to be our import in 95 once MD naturlised but Mike Mckay fell on his knee in a pre season game and put him out for the year.

Top work on the list,would be intrested in finding out more about the 1982 to 1984 teams,never seen any footage or pics from that era.

Reply #303680 | Report this post

Tweet Tweet  
Years ago

@Moses Guthrie

You are 100% correct about Willie Simmons, great memory.

1993 and 1994 should read like this :

1993 Mark Davis, Paris McCurdy, David Robinson, Willie Simmons (1 game)

1994 Mark Davis, Robert Rose, Willie Simmons (2 games)

Reply #303692 | Report this post

Nolan Harcourt  
Years ago

There is some good footage of the West v Geelong 1982 GF on you tube. The entire game compressed into 8 minutes.

Reply #303693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

best combo there is Mee and Brooks with a close second to Hays and Davis

Reply #303719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kelvin Henderson did play as an import. In the very early days with the Bankstown Bruins! And he could play, let me tell you.

Reply #303735 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:29 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754