phil
Years ago

What position imports are most successful in NBL?

i was watching the nbl and players like redhage, rychart and ballinger and it occured to me that alot of the most successful imports in recent history have been bigger guys. is this a definate trend or am i wrong? i can think of plenty of guys here brought in to be scorers in the sg-sf position and lots dont seem to make it while the bigger guys have been very successful.

alot of talk here about the reasons why players like howard come here and struggle and one thing people agree on is here we play better team defence dont allow slashers easy access to lanes etc, maybe the big inside players can create their own shots better?

anyone agree or disagree? personally while im not sure of the figures regarding how many have failed/made it but if i was building a team ild definately try to recruit guys like wilkinson from nz over a sg.

Topic #24751 | Report this topic

Kb3  
Years ago

Other guys are worth more in Europe than they are here the ones you mention not so much. Draper , ere, smith for example earn huge cash compared to what they can get here.

Reply #303966 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Rob Rose, Paul Stanley, Milt Newton, Leroy Loggins, Dwyane McClain, Lanard Copeland, Kevin Brooks, Kent Lockhart, Mario Donaldson, Steve Woodberry - all successful swingmen. Good imports aren't restricted to size or position but admittedly, it's hard to find any that aren't bigs or point guards.

Reply #303967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe it has to with the australian content which is,what is required after the college/europe/nba guys are gone.

Reply #303969 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Carlos Powell for the Breakers put up decent numbers

Reply #303970 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Carlos Powell for the Breakers put up decent numbers

Reply #303971 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

for every copeland/ loggins there is heaps of failures. just seems like the % of players that are brought here that are 6'3-6'6 primarily to contribute to their teams scoring seem to fail. but the % of players that come in that are 6'8- 6'10 while fewer seem to work out more often and has resulted in some real guns staying here.

Reply #303974 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

In my opinion, the 3 best imports of the last 2 years has been McKee, Ervin and Ubaka. All are small guards.
The strike rate of talls is definitely better than smalls though.
NBL tends to lend itself to PFs being dominant. In most teams, the player in this position is largely an offensive player with questionable defence.
Ballinger, Rychart, Redhage, Worthington, Forman, Davidson, Loughton, Tragardh...

Reply #303983 | Report this post

tyrel  
Years ago

Dont forget ebi ere!! I have harped on for a while but a chris williams and kavossy franklim duo are hard to find!! Brian whethers was good for hunter too!! BUT

Despite all their hassles- Kevin freeman (one of the best ever imports ive seen), bryant matthews and bobby brannen are three of the best EVER!!!

Reply #303984 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Ebi Ere? A poor man's Milt Newton. Like a shooting star, we knew him for too short a time.

Reply #303988 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Muursepp, Beazley, Reyes, etc.

Reply #303998 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

Imports tend to struggle due to the game style, its too physical compared to the american game that they're used to. The ones with plenty of European experience tend to have better success.

Reply #304005 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

isaac- those 3 were average to say the least.

Reply #304011 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Phil, its definitely not better team defence, its just that we allow a true zone and our refs allow defenders to bump, grab and reach in to a ridiculous degree. The slashing wing types that come here often struggle because they are used to being able to drive the lane and here it is next to impossible unless your team moves the ball effectively and shoots well from the perimeter to open up some space.

I also think you can point to just as many point guards as bigs that have been successful in recent years.

PG - Ervin, Homicide, McKee, Ubaka, Shannon
Wings - Hodge, Ere
Bigs - Redhage, Wilkinson, Clark, Rickert

I actually think the PGs have an advantage over wings in getting to the basket in this league anyway, because they are more nimble, quick and have better ball handling, giving them a better chance of weaving through the defence than a bigger guy.

Reply #304013 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

yeah i agree about point guards, some rather successful ones recently as well, and maybe that goes back to them being used to having to create their own shot, and taking the game on?

its just the slasher/shooter wing types, we have had heaps of good ones but how many have come into the league in the last 4 years? im going to have a wild stab in the dark that maybe anywhere from 20-40 new imports have come in that time with probably almost half or more fitting that description. wouldnt be too many of those that came good.

definitely seems pg pf import duo is the way to go.

Reply #304016 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

it doesnt help when the import shrinks in the plane on the way over.

Reply #304026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ala Mark Tyndale who was supposedly 6'5" but was only fractionally taller than Ninnis.

Reply #304030 | Report this post

Soulman  
Years ago

You guy's have forgotten to mention Mee ( I cant remenber how tall he was )but was able to fit into every team within Australia and played the point. Is it that imports are required to score regulary and not alway's fit into team round out play's and therefore can live and die by the sword. They are hired to make difference and can with a lot of pressure to produce.

Reply #304041 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Nah, didn't forget Mee, Soulman - how could I ever forget him? (I would actually rate either him or Rose as the best import the Sixers ever had). It was just the context of the discussion. Phil was talking about the last 3-4 seasons.

I agree with you though, its a tough gig being an import. They usually do have a lot of pressure on them to score and don't get cut a lot of slack for bad shooting nights. Mee was one of the few exceptions, purely because of his ability to turn a game with steals, great defence, rebounds, passes and hustle plays.

Reply #304063 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:20 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754