Jonno
Years ago

Marty Clarke's comments in The Age.

What do people think of Clarkes comments to restrict imports to 1 per team, have squads of 15 and his concern for opportunity for guys like Creek, Greenwood and Drmic?

My thoughts are give it a shot, go with one import, sign Greenwood and Drmic to play with Creek at the 36ers, i dont think many fans will complain, especially if they live up to their potential.

I think most people would be happy with a team like
(id go either a import PF/C Abney style or a gun SG/SF like a Farley in his peak)

PG Bruce/Carter
SG Hill/Greenwood
SF Drmic/Creek
PF Ballinger/Dowdell
C IMPORT/Johnson

or

PG Bruce/Carter
SG IMPORT/Greenwood
SG Hill/Drmic
PF Ballinger/Creek
C Johnson/Dowdell

I think either of those teams would be very exciting and interesting to watch

Topic #24752 | Report this topic

vanexel31  
Years ago

dont like it at all, imports bring a different kind of excitment to the league that our local talent does not bring. The problem I feel is the quality of imports, with the seasons starting time most quality imports are not available. Id like to see the season moved to start in early December so the league can bring in quality imports.

Reply #303977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can already have one import if you wish. It's just Clarke scratching around throwing stuff out there to try and take the heat off the great job he's been doing so far.

Reply #303979 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I wouldn't mind us going with only the 1 import next season. But only if we bring in a couple of high end NBL players. (Schenscher and Rush types)
If we're abandoning an import in place of a couple of speculative players, then we will continue to be competitive but making up the numbers.
We don't have the team to afford the luxury of 1 import. Too many mediocre middle of the road players.
If Clarke is to deliver on his 3 year plan and give us a championship calibre team, we need to find some real stars. I'm not sold that any player on our list will be a star except for Ballinger.
Creek is no Power Forward by the way. If we lose Holmes, we will get another centre. No buts about it. We get beaten every week on the boards as is. If we lose on of the best rebounders in the league on top of that, we will no longer be competitive unless we shoot the lights out.

Reply #303982 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Drmic is playing at Boise State next year and Greenwood is playing at New Mexico. I don't know how many times that has to be mentioned on this forum...

Reply #303985 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Guess tactics by Marty he cant get the right imports so try to stop opposition from getting decent one.
Marty please shut up and just do your job and learn about coaching in NBL befor becoming a expert

Reply #303992 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

Geez some people on this forum are down on Marty Clarke! He inherited a team from the bomb shelter last season and did say that it would take time to get back up to scratch. You can't expect to go from rags to riches in one season, it will be a progression. Yes, the 36ers are totally frustrating to watch at the moment. You have to wonder if you'll see the fantastic play that we saw vs Wollongong and in parts vs New Zealand or the train wreck we saw vs Melbourne and in parts vs New Zealand.

Add to this that the rotating door of imports this season as well as a few injuries (particularly Herbert's untimely one). I'm not saying that Clarke doesn't deserve some of the responsibility for the way the 6ers are playing because of course he does, he's the guy in charge. However you also have to take into account that he's brought in more promising young players (Creek, Johnson, Bruce) than Adelaide's seen in a long time and developed Ng and Hill to arguably the highest points in their careers thus far. So maybe give the guy a break for a while, let him do his job, give him your support as the coach of the team that we all love and give him a chance to turn the team around! After all, you can all bag him out in a season or two when he's actually had time to implement changes and we should supposedly see results!

Reply #303996 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Isn't this the old comments from a few games ago just rehashed? Already a thread about this with a lot more discussion.

Reply #303997 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I can't believe people are thanking Clarke for Ng and Hill's imaginary break out year. Their stats are pretty much the same in both years

Hill 2011: 8.9ppg (43% fg, 28% 3pt, 69%ft) 3rpg, 1apg, 1.2spg, 0.9tpg
Hill 2010: 7.3ppg (42% fg, 33% 3pg, 70%ft) 3rpg, 2apg, 0.5spg, 1.4tpg

Ng 2011: 8.6ppg (48%, 42%, 93%) 2rpg, 1apg, 0.4spg, 0.5tpg
Ng 2010: 8.6ppg (46%, 46%, 80%) 2rpg, 2apg, 0.6spg, 0.8tpg

Can someone please show me these great improvements in these stats to show me they are at their "highest point in their careers"?

They have not improved dramatically as others seem to indicate with the guidance of Clarke. If anything they are just maturing as basketballers with another season under their belt.

In fact Ng's 2007 as well as 2008 season were statistically better then this years.

Reply #304001 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

perhaps King James you should email Marty like you did last years coaches with all your suggestions.

Reply #304002 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

I think you are all missing the point of Marty's comments... extend the squad to 15, and then pick your best 10 for the game at hand, much like how the AFL pick a team for the game. To do this, look at reducing the imports to one to free up cap space.

This is very different to the suggestions of "you can just run with one import now if you want" - he's actually suggesting a fairly large change to the way the squads and teams are structured.

Reply #304012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marty Clarke is an idiot

and you can go from scratch to win a championship: Brian Goorjian. Although you may risk folding but yes, it can be done.

Reply #304015 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

@Gazza i think this is exactly what Marty is saying
i import is about the same as 4 or 5 development players wage.

Reply #304017 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

No reason to limit teams to one import, but I wouldn't be too upset going with only one. Most of the best players in the league are Australian anyway.

However, if we do, as Hendo said, we have to get our hands on some of those aforementioned best players.

We need an elite centre that will allow Balls to play PF. I think the #1 guy to go for would be Khazzouh, but I doubt we can steal him from Sydney. Otherwise Schenscher or Majok.

We also need an elite shooting guard. So that means we have to go out and get Goulding, Weigh or maybe Webster.

Get two of the above players at C and SG and build a team around them, Balls, Shannon/ Carter and Creek and you'll have a contender next season.

Reply #304018 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

KingJames, Hill has been better this year. Biggest change has been the turnovers, IMO.

I don't think this has been Ninja's best year by a long shot. Has had solid years previously (including the year Maher got injured, from memory).

The squad of 15 argument probably has to be taken away from the context of this season and this team and considered as a broader change in the NBL to all teams - would that be better or worse for Australian basketball?

Reply #304020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if squads were increased to 15. so must the 30 game season. make it you play every team 4 times perhaps (2home 2 away).

Reply #304021 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

ild like to see some change in the way we develop young talent. we make players work for a long time before they really get to play major minutes. i dont understand how we dont have more players really stamping themselves on the game at the age of 22-23? of the 90 odd kids drafted into the afl this year you can bet more than a dozen will play a good amount of footy at a high level, and many more long before they reach 23.

obviously we dont have the same numbers as footy but why cant we expect a similar improvement from players?

i guess we lose alot of our best 18 yr olds to the college system in the U.S., we really need B.A. to target talented athletes who arnt willing to leave the country or dont have that option and develop a clear pathway for these kids from juniors to senior level nbl. heres hopeing we can see more guns like cadee tearing up the nbl in the future

Reply #304023 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

^ i meant more than a dozen would play at a high level in their first year.

Reply #304024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only reason Clarke is throwing out stuff like this and the "15 man squad" crap is because he knows he can't compete with the cheap roster he has. In other words by forcing every team to only have one import and teams full of kids it might give him a chance to win.

Well you can argue about the quality of that thought bubble but I think the league would be finished if it became a development league, a giant AIS if you will. The NBL is at such a low point as it is with such a massive lack of depth the last thing you need to do is remove even more stars/name players from the league. All the best aussie players play in the NBA ir Europe anyway as it is.

He just knows the Sixers aren't willing to spend much on rosters so his "three year plan" (i.e. length of his contract) looks in serious jepoardy unless the goal posts are shifted.

Clarke was willing to take the job knowing what the score was so lets see how good a coach Clarke really is. I for one have been pretty unimpressed with this legend in his own lunchtime. The Sixers have got almost no chance of making the playoffs now especially with the soft schedule we've had about to come to an end so how about starting a DJ (never liked that signing) just to get a look at him instead of playing Ballinger out of position all season at the 5.

Reply #304025 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

I think the odds of Clarke starting Johnson at Centre are the same as Neil Craig starting Kurt Tippett at Full Forward in his first year. Everyone could see it but the coach.

Reply #304028 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Works well with Bruce Harris Greenwood amongst others training here and the others that will come for Clarke
While Howard doesn't seem to fit.

Don't see other teams training, some may have 2 good imports with them, not sure.

Reply #304029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kb3 said, import is about the same as 4 or 5 development players wage.

development players dont get paid.

Reply #304033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Development Players get paid $20K a season. Or at least used to and not sure now but the minimum wage for a full-time NBL player was $30K (DP's can only play in home games unless replacing an unavailable player on the full time roster).

Reply #304034 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Agree DJ needs to be given a chance to develop by Clarke, isnt that his strength as a coach?

DJ looked fairly unhappy aginst the Breakers.
Firstly when he was subbed out after only a short while he stormed past the coaches and Radford had to grab his arm and had words to him.
Also during a last qtr timeout DJ realised he wasn't going back on so he asked for his warm up top and stood at the back not paying any attention to what Clarke had to say.

Not trying to stir stuff up but just a couple of observations from the game.

Reply #304036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

annon's comment above is brutal but right on point IMO...

the younger don't get the minutes probably because the team would lose if they are to get minutes? that's a dumb ass question. sure, if you want to lose then just play them. if you show that you can contribute then you will get played eg. Daniel Dillon

kids opt to go to college cos it's a better program than staying around for NBL. many times college system will provide them the most professional basketball setting in their whole career, not to mention you have the chance to walk out with a degree for post career

Reply #304039 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I know Isaac said to take it away from the context of this season and this team, but I didn't,and
Greenwood signed to college, but
just using what's happening here as an example.

Reply #304046 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Marty may be optimistic about his 3 year plan coming to fruition but who is to say it will happen. Who is to say we don't continue for 3 years not improving much at all. A good coach would hunger for the opportunity to seize a championship now and not sit back and say it will happen in 3 years. He had the opportunity to put together a competitive team from day 1. His choice of imports have been unsuccessful. It does seem to me he would like to do away with one import but wants the whole league to only have 1 import to even it up. The quality of imports over the last few years have deteriorated but rather than say do away with one, they should be putting more effort into finding the right ones. 2 quality imports in a team lifts the standard of the league. With the standard of the league better, the Australian National team will also be more competitive on the world stage.

Reply #304060 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

EC- wow I really agree with what you said above. I think it's right on the money. like I mentioned elsewhere, I like to win now. not saying future is not important but win now is much more important to me. just look at the Portland Blazers, disaster can happen when looking too far ahead into the future.

Reply #304062 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:42 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754