SRT070
Years ago

NBL - Floor Mopping Kids

by no means am i intending on giving crap to the mop boys/girls, they do generally do a reasonable job.

But recently i have noticed a few more players slipping, and when some of the kids come out they don't seem to know what exactly is going on and just sort wave the mop over the floor. Shouldn't the league or clubs get some better hands on deck for keeping the floors sweat free? lets be honest there are a lot of expensive players out there on the court, and essentially a players career can come crashing down because a 14 year old didn't wipe the floor properly. i know it seems like such a dumb thing, but its something i think is really important and the job itself is very important as players have been injured from wet patches missed on the floor.

I do remember last season Joey Wright showed he can mop the floor damn well however i think he would cost too much to do that.

Its just something i have noticed recently, feel free to bag me but i think there will be some that do agree.

Topic #24763 | Report this topic

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I like the African bloke who wipes the floors at the 36ers. He's on the ball and does a good job.

I agree some of the other ones have looked lost out there, but they've probably lacked the training beforehand causing this sort of productivity.

Reply #304197 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

I'm guessing they use these kids for the cheap rates. i do agree that bloke does do a good job. It wouldnt be the easiest thing for the kids though either. all these guys around playing a serious game then they have to come in and wipe the floor amongst the giants. only sometimes do i see the refs get in and point out the spots to wipe.

Reply #304199 | Report this post

lionel  
Years ago

it isn't the refs job to wipe the floor and it isn't the league that is responsible for floor wipers either that is up to the clubs to supply. My gripe is that a young kid doesn't have the body weight behind them to dry the floor they as you said they seem to wave the mop over it plus it they are often day dreaming and need to be asked a few times to come on to clean up. sometimes if they read the game right they could get on wipe the court and get off whilst the play is at the other end.

Reply #304204 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The kid (East end y'day) with the high hat is the floor wiping champ. The Breakers floor wipers are often pretty good too. If you think floor wipers can be a bit distracted at NBL level, don't watch an ABL game!

Reply #304210 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

HAH! i can only imagine. I guess im just a bit surprised how the clubs dont necessarily take it that seriously, but the careers of some of these players are dependent on that floor dry.

Reply #304213 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Haha ABL floor wipers. Can't remember what stadium it was but I remember the floor wipers getting their free chips and drink at half time and never being seen again.

Reply #304217 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

I figure this thread probably wont achieve much as everyone has been wanting proper referees too

Reply #304221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SRT070 that's the least of the concerns.

Gilchrist did a career ending knee injury on a decal, yet the NBL have three massive decals on every court in the league.

How many times a game do players slip on keyway decals? How about someone dealing with that, with player safety in mind? Oh wait, that costs income so players welfare doesn't matter.

Reply #304222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

isnt the african bloke lennard copelands son? he he

Reply #304229 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

I was a floor sweeper for the sixes in the late 90's and you had to have your mind on the game. When someone slips you need to be right on it straight away as soon as play is dead, even while play is on at the other end. I remember my partner almost getting cleaned up as a player got a half court steal while he was sweeping and wasn't looking up.

I have some fond memories of court sweeping, i got to see the sixes play Arizona with mike bibby and jason Terry from the best seat in the house. I also was abused by Paul maley when he was with th giants. Reidy slipped during the play on the floor and maley slipped on it. I couldn't sweep it up because there was no stop in play and they had not moved the ball to the other end, maley slipped and screamed at me. Never liked maley after that even when he was a sixer.

All in all its not a hard job, kids are fine for the job as long as they have some basketball knowledge and get given advice on how to do the job properly.

Reply #304233 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Yeah I have heard a few people say he looks like lennards son.

Reply #304239 | Report this post

Ando  
Years ago

I always thought he was one of Copelands swimmers too!

Reply #304258 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

my gf has always loved gaze after seeing him chase down the floor boys during halftime and have a friendly chat with them.

Reply #304265 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

The high hat wearing kid actually looks like he is wearing 2 hats ... we call him "Two Hats" ... "keep your motor running, every cart, every part ... every daaaayyya"

Reply #304284 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

*car

Reply #304285 | Report this post

Soulman  
Years ago

The champ makes a valid point what sort of training is giving. You look at the ball boy's / girls in tennis ( not just Aussie open ) they do a profesional job. I love seeing the kids gettin right down close to the action but do sometimes look lost and over awed by the action, to do a good job when needed.

Reply #304296 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:25 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754