Quagmire
Years ago

Bryant and Duncan- Slipping or Sleeping?

Its a fair question, their teams are going along jst fine, in the spurs case they are rolling but the play of these two legends of the game has been less than awe inspiring.

Bryant appears to be winding down in much the same fasion as MJ, relying more on smarts, officials and jump shooting than explosion. The question is, when its the play-offs and the jumper doesn't work, does he still have a plan B? Mj had time off during his career, just look what time off has meant for G.Hill, Bryant has been a workhorse and the miles are adding up like crazy...

Duncan is having career lows across the board, but from watching the spurs play, he seems to have moments when coach pop says, get us a run, and unleashes the walking poo.

two great players, so whats the verdict?

Slipping or sleeping?

Topic #24775 | Report this topic

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Duncan is definitely fading. His knee issues and age are slowly catching up with him.

I know Duncan has time left on his contract, however I wouldn't be surprised if this season or next season is his last.

You can see it now with the coach running plays with other players and lessening the load on Duncan. Robinson received it and now it's Duncan's turn.

Reply #304373 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Where is Kobe ranked in points per 48 minutes right now? I'm on my phone now so can't check but I would guess he's very high up there. He can't over-do it in the regular season any more. We need him 100% when it matters.

Definitely relying more on smarts and jumpshooting than his athleticism, but that has been the trend for a few years now. Luckily he's no slouch in either of those areas.

Reply #304374 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Duncan is playing much less minutes and has sat entire 4th quarters (and some 2nd halves) in some wins.

He definitely doesn't have the quickness he used to, but his per/48 production is still very good.

Still top 10 in rebounds, blocks and double/doubles.

It's the first season he has been healthy in a while, and as a Spurs fan I'm happy for his minutes to drop if it means he entersbthe post season fresh.

No doubt he isn't the same player as 2003 - 2005

Reply #304380 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

In regards to Duncan, they have been a few articles about how the are now running the offence through Parker and Manu. The stories have stated that in the off season the Pop and the coaching staff get together for few days and decided what the plans are for the new season and that was one thing that came from the meetings.

Reply #304392 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Kobe is leading the league in point per 48 minutes with 36.6

Reply #304427 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Kobe is leading the league in point per 48 minutes with 36.6

Reply #304428 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

There ya go^^^

He's just chillin, you know how it is.

Reply #304434 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Quagmire you said the same thing about Kobe 2 years ago when he was averaging 38ppg against Denver in the playoffs. He then went on to win the title and funny enough went on to win the title last season as well. The guy is obviously struggling :P

This season Kobe is getting 25ppg, 5rpg, 5apg whilst shooting at his normal healthy rate. He is only getting 33 minutes per game which is down 5 minutes on his career average (if you take out the first two seasons). The reason is in blow outs there is no reason for him to be on the court. The Lakers have the 3rd best record in the NBA. Even in todays game he drove the lane for a two hand dunk that could be considered explosive. Or in two games prior he did a move that the commentators commented was Jordan like.

Kobe still has it, sorry Quagmire :P

Reply #304441 | Report this post

Tweet Tweet  
Years ago

Two things to add -

Kobe's 33 Minutes Per Game are by far the lowest of his career since the 1997-98 season when was he a very green 19 year old kid playing off the bench and trying to prove himself. Phil Jackson has wanted to limit Kobe's minutes and he's done it.

Not only is Kobe leading the league in scoring per 48 minutes (as stated by other posters) but his per 48 minutes scoring is the best its been since what it was on 2006-07. And that was in the pre-Gasol days when Kobe needed to gun for 40-50 points for the Lakers to stand a chance.

He's aged but his game and mindset have adapted. And his production level is still very, very high.

And anyway, besides all this per 48 minute stuff...look at the guy’s numbers and the Lakers record. At any age, it implies neither slipping nor sleeping.

Reply #304447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Duncan is slipping and the 4 time Championship winning Spurs have never been better than they are now. WOW.

Reply #304449 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wouldn't "sleeping" imply that Kobe is just coasting and waiting for the finals? With Duncan, it could be a mixture of both.

Reply #304453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quagmire=kobe hater=idiot

Reply #304457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quagmire- you're slipping AND sleeping

Reply #304477 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Duncan had 21 / 16 / 8 /5 against Amare and the Knicks whilst holding Amare to 18 poins on 8/25 shooting.

He can still step up when he has to

Reply #304997 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

Quagmire- you are my favourite poster on hoops. you always make me laugh. Id love to have a beer with you I reckon we would disagree on everything

Reply #304998 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:38 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754