DB5
Years ago

Halfway NBA predictions and surprises.

With the season being almost at the halfway mark, I am wondering what other's thoughts are regarding the league's major awards.

Personally, I have been surprised with a few teams already, namely the Spurs (written off as too old), the Magic blowing up and re starting, Charlotte's free fall and firing of Coach Brown and staff, the Lakers' struggles and of course Chicago's awesome start to the season missing key players.

Anyway, here are my picks thus far.

MVP : Derrick Rose - maybe Chi-town bias here, but I really cannot see anyone who is AS important to their team as this guy. I think he is the only player in the league to be averaging 24+ ppg and 8+ assists.
Nowitzki, or Ginobli runners up.

COY : This award never goes to the most deserving coach but I would pick Popovich for the way he has fired up an old Spurs team. Coach Thibs would be my 1a choice here. Also Jerry Sloan.

ROY : Blake Griffin. No one else in the building.

DPOY : Dwight Howard. Cannot think of anyone else here. Maybe Chris Paul.

6th Man : Jamal Crawford.

MIP : Michael Beasley. Averaging about 22 ppg. Not bad for a number 2 pick that was traded for a pair of second round picks.

Would be interested in seeing other posters lists...

Topic #24778 | Report this topic

Drewzer  
Years ago

MVP: Agree on Derrick Rose at this stage (Ahead of Stoudemire, Howard, Bryant and Westbrook)

COY: Agree on Popovich, but Doc Rivers has been able to keep Boston as one of the elite teams despite injury issues, and I also think Scott Brooks has done a pretty good job with the Thunder.

ROY: Griffin (no debate needed)

DPOY: Howard (Bogut is his only opposition really)

6th Man: I think Crawford would be the front runner, but I actually think JJ Redick has had a bigger impact on games. Has hit some huge, momentum changing baskets for the Magic and there would be alot of NBA teams who would want a shooter of his quality in their starting five.

MIP: I think Eric Gordan deserves this award. He is one of the best players in the league right now and has improved his scoring this year by over 5ppg. His steals, rebounds, blocks and assists are also up on last year.

Reply #304395 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Surprise: How disappointing the Bucks have been since the performance last year.

Poor old Bogut still seems to be affected Post-arm injury. The man can still post and get into good position but he just can't seem to finish his shots atm. Seems to always play a game that could go 30/15 but just misses too much.

MVP: Has to be Amare. Rose is playing stellar ball but Amare has turned around a bottom dwellar into a finals contender now. Rose has certainly been consistant and has kept the Bulls in the playoffs for the past few years, but Amare has shown impact through the Knicks ladder position, nothing more.

ROY: Anyone who doesn't say Griffin is a tool.

DPoY: Howard again. I'd still rate Bogut 2nd.

MiP: Eric Gordon. The man can flat out score and with Griffin as a post man, he's shown flare as a good passer.

COY: Doc Rivers or Mike D'Antoni. Boston has maintained the best record so far, but D'Antoni has seen a resurgance in the Knicks. Old man Poppavich is certainly up there, but the Spurs have always been a top contender.

All-in-all, most of these awards go to Impact players who have shown some sort of major change in team player or individual play.

MVP is the tough one; Amare and Rose are both the contenders this year, but Amare just stands out IMO.

So long as Kobe, Wade or James don't win it, then I'm happy.

Reply #304400 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Thanks for the reminder.... prick :)

I'm not too upset with the Cats failing considering they lost their starting 1 and 5 from last year, and to be honest I'm not unhappy to see Felton and Chandler gone. Felton is excelling this season but still isn't worth the money that he rejected (from memory $42 mill over 5 years) and Chandler... meh..

The team has been revitalised by Paul Silas, who is underrated as a coach. He's actually a motivator that is okay with X and O's, and it seems to be working. Diaw is a fat ***t than needs to get with the program. So much talent and he did put a triple-double today. He should be nearly doing that every third game.

Jax is a year older, but Henderson is coming along nicely. DJ is also developing.

I think they will trade Crash or Jax by the deadline for a 5.

There is sooooo much expensive deadwood on the roster, Diop, Carroll, Najera etc. Kwame has stepped up recently as is looking half decent. Not No 1 decent, but worthy of his 700k salary.

Surprises for me:

- Magic blowing it up
- Old men Spurs playing up tempo
- Griffin is outright nasty. I originally had Wall as ROY
- The NBA owning the Hornets
- Bucks being 'below average' despite spending up

MVP: Amare. He turned the 'joke' of the NBA into an Eastern Conference playoff team.

ROY: Griffin, Griffin and Griffin

DPOY: Bogut

Fallen of the Radar: Toronto Raptors. Are they still in the NBA???

MiP: DJ Augustin for me. Gordon has had a great season and developed into the player that everyone saw in College. Also helps having a big man like Griffin who is now demanding a double team to open the floor for him.

Starting to piss me off: The BS around the Melo trade. JUST F***ING DO IT ALREADY.... Sick of reading the same crap day in, day out.

Reply #304406 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

MVP: Derrick Rose, Amare couldn't win this as Rose is leading a bunch of role players to wins, Boozer has missed a lot of time and so has Noah.

ROY: Blake Griffin, enough said.

COY: Jerry Sloan, he eventually has to win one doesn't he.

MIP: Eric Gordon/DeAndre Jordan. One of these 2, Michael Beasley hasn't improved, he's just on a weaker team and been given the ball. Eric Gordon has proved this season he can finish games off, and DeAndre will be a candiate for DPOY this season and many to come.

DPOY: Howard, no one is even close to him at the moment.

6th man: JJ Redick or Jamal Crawford

Surprises: Milwaukee's struggles. Mr. Griffin complete domination, could be the best player in the game if he keeps this up. Toronto might actually make the playoffs despite no talent, and the departure of Mr. Bosh. The New Jersey sitaution, with the trade almost certain to not happe now, stop the talk at least. As Melo is asking for talks with Dallas.

Reply #304410 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Ha ha TR, thought you might bite at that one.. ; )
Definately agree that there will be a trade soon with Charlotte, still trying to figure out MJ's plan there, like Silas as coach though.

My Rose over Amare argument is that the Bulls are leading the Central by 15 games due to this man. Like I said 24+ ppg 8+ apg. The bulls have had injuries all season, only 9 games played with all 5 starters on the court! He has been clutch all year (except the missed FT against LAC) and just got his first triple double with Noah and Boozer out injured.

Reply #304413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

griffen isnt a rookie and should be excluded from rookie of the year.

he has has two offseason to prepare for his his nba debut.
everyone else has had one.

its his style of play that led to his injury and made him miss his rookie year.

as lebron says - when u have been around the league for a year, your not really a rookie.

its a joke he is being considered - he has a massive advantage over true first year players.

Reply #304464 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

ah only an anon would post that wouldn't they...

Reply #304489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its true regardless of who says it.

what site allows anonymous comments anyway.

Reply #304513 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

I agree that Griffin shouldn't be a rookie as he had a year to watch and learn the game from the sidelines, he is a rookie and clear winner unless Wall's training staff get their heads screwed on and look after the Wizard's injuries.

Reply #304519 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

MVP: Derrick Rose.
ROY: Blake Griffin.
COY: Greg Popovic.
DPOY: Andrew Bogut.
6th: JJ Reddick.
MIP: Kevin Love.

Biggest Surprises, Anthony Randolph not getting playing time for the Knicks, who have essentially traded David Lee for Ronny Turiaf and of course the old Spurs learning some new tricks.

Reply #304534 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Bucks have had pretty bad injuries, and the NBA's worst first half schedule in terms of playing +.500 teams. Should be better in the second half.

Reply #304535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boy, I have followed the Clippers for the last 19 years, so Blake has been a Godsend.

As for BigD, geez man, the DeAndre call for DPOY is a terrible one. Jordan has improved his shot blocking in the last 15 or so games, quite a bit actually. But the guy is still one of the worst defensive players in the entire league.

Reply #304560 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

I never said he will win it, just a candidate, no one will win it with Howard doing his thing, Bogut isn't even close, and his team needs to win games to be considered. But Jordan's defense in the Clippers recent run has been very good, or have you been watching something else. If the Clippers maintain the level of play and possibly make the playoffs or finish +500, he will certainly be a candidate, but he won't win it.

Reply #304564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BigD I have probably watched nearly all Clipper games, and probably 95% of Jordans entire career not just like most on here who have started recently watching the Clips since Griffin has been tearing it up.

Sorry, but his defense is bloody woeful. He is the king of the defensive 3 second foul and just gets torn up most games. His shot blocking has improved, but him man on man defense or just knowing what to do on the defensive end is still very poor.

Reply #304572 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

19 years following the Clips.... Now that's commitment and a sh*tload of drinking.

The ol Clips have had some decent squads, just couldn't put it all together. It's that native American curse working a treat

Reply #304573 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

DeAndre's defense woeful?
vs. Indiana- Roy Hibbert 2pts 4reb
vs. Lakers- Andrew Bynum 18pts 13reb
Pau Gasol 13pts 8reb
vs. GSW- Andris Biedrins 8pts 7reb
vs. Miami- Zydrunas Ilgauskas 2pts 6reb
vs. GSW- Andris Biedrins 0pts 6reb
vs. Denver- Nene 12pts 9reb
vs. Atlanta- Al Horford 8pts 10reb

That's just the games this month, he has held all of those players bar Nene and Bynum to below average games, so his defense is really really really woeful isn't it. On top of that he his protecting the paint with his shot blocking and making people think about their shots when they drive through the lane making them attempt a shot less likely to go in. DeAndre's improvement on the defensive end has helped the Clippers recent run as Blake Griffin's defense while solid for a rookie is still on the much needed improve. He's their future starting centre and just has to play the defensive side of the ball and dunk and rebound, and he's done his job.

Reply #304582 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Probably worth pointing out:

Gasol's numbers are down because Bynum is back.
8pts 7reb is a normal game for Andris Biedrins.
Ilgauskas only averages 5 and 5 normally.
Horford was not miles off his usual 16 and 10.

Reply #304589 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

Gasol is not a 13 and 8 guy even with Bynum, he's still a solid 20pts 11reb and 4ast. 8pts and 7reb in 30+ minutes is not normal for Biedrins. Whenever he gets that much court time you would expect at least 10+ boards and 10pts in his case. Ilgauskas got high minutes, his numbers are 5 and 5 because he as games of 5-10 minutes regularly. Horford usually torches opposing centre for 24pts 12reb and 5ast, but when some defense is played on him he usually struggles, thus making the 16 and 10 average.

Reply #304634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dude, how many games have you watched of the clippers?

Don't go pulling out opposition numbers when you are clutching at straws.

DeAndre's defense woeful?
vs. Indiana- Roy Hibbert 2pts 4reb Hibbert had 5 early fouls by the second half from memory check his minutes
vs. Lakers- Andrew Bynum 18pts 13reb
Pau Gasol 13pts 8rebs - Which did he guard? Do you even know?
. GSW - Andris Biedrins 8pts 7reb again in foul trouble early and fouled out check his minutes
vs. Miami - Zydrunas Ilgauskas 2pts 6reb - cmon man the guy is a dinasour who has no offense anymore
vs. GSW - Andris Biedrins 0pts 6reb - again a real strong offensive threat
vs. Denver- Nene 12pts 9reb not far from average.
vs. Atlanta- Al Horford 8pts 10reb pretty standard again on career average.

I actually watch the games and don't need some poor stat reference which actually still give your statements no credence.

Go on the ESPN Clipper boards and ask about his D.

Reply #304702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TR it will be interesting when it comes to MAX contract time. That's usually when Sterling closes the wallet and ships all the talent off then 'rebuilds' again (using the word lightly).

He does it all the time, gets cheap rookies and then when they bond and start to produce just doesn't pay to keep them together. Tis all about the money rather than the wins.

And yes, I am an alcoholic! :)

Reply #304705 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

Roy Hibbert got the low 11 minutes due to the fact he struggled against Jordan's athletiscm and strength, he finished the game with 5 fouls, picked up his 3rd end of the 1st half, so not excactly foul trouble. He had a very low production per minute rate as well.

Andrew Bynum/Pau Gasol- He shared time between these 2. But his help defense on Gasol shut him down primarily.

25 minutes from Biedrins isn't that bad. Jordan kept him off the boards. Same in the other game, he completely held Biedrins off the boards, who is a great offensive rebounder.

Big Z no offense?? You sure?? He's in the rotation because of his shooting and offense. He had no impact on the game at all basically.

Nene completely dominates unless someone plays defense on him, check his game logs against weak defensive centres and then against strong defensive centres. And he's even had a few big games against good defensive bigs. So 12 and 9 is quite low impact for playing against a bad defender as you say.

Al Horford is the same thing, 8 and 10 is nowhere near this season production. So for playing against a bad defender 8 and 10 isn't excactly much at all, quite poor. Against weak defenders he usually scorches for near triple doubles. 20+ pts, 11+ reb and 6+ asts.

This Clipper's have been winning games on part due to their great defense, Jordan has been the anchor to that defense, Blake Griffin and Baron Davis aren't good defenders as of yet, Ryan Gomes and Eric Gordon are solid however. Teams are hesistate to attack the rim because their's a shot-blocking defensive presence, but he's always becoming a very solid on ball defender and in the pick and rolls. Which is going to be very tough to run against two athletic bigs like Griffin and Jordan. The Lakers could take lesson on how to defend a pick and roll from the Clippers.

Reply #304819 | Report this post

Billy  
Years ago

MVP: Rose followed by Nowitski, Westbrook
COY: Popovich then Sloan, Rivers
ROY: Blake Griffin, No one even close
DPOY: Howard followed by LBJ, CP3
MIP: Dorell Wright
6th: J Crawford then JJ Redick

Surprises: Spurs being as good as they are,
Bucks being as bad as they are.

Reply #304828 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:33 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754