mystro
Years ago

NBL Dunk Comp, who would you want in it

If they did have one this season who would you most like to see go at it.

Abercrombie, Mitch Creek and Ira Clark would be my instant picks but who else in the league would deserve to be in it if they had one?

Topic #24788 | Report this topic

orbit  
Years ago

Gary Ervin. A pocket rocket with hops is always a crowd favourite!!

Reply #304574 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Abercombie, Creek & Clark are the 3 that stand out for me....Dorsey from Cairns also, he has thrown a few big ones down this season.

Reply #304576 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Creek, Abercombie are a must

Reply #304577 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

No Deal!! agree on Dorsey, pretty athletic

Gary Ervin, sure he can dunk but not sure he'll have squat on guys like Abercrombie and Clark that can elevate over the rim effortlessly.

Reply #304583 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

If you had to:

Creek and Ambercrombie - Fills the "Athletic" and "dunk trick" requirement for a Comp.

Clark - Fills the "Big Man" requirement for a Comp.

Ervin - Fills the "Small Guy" and "Crowd Favourite" and the "Biast towards voting" requirements for a Comp.

Would rather have Dorsey over Ervin, but I'm fairly sure the Ervin option would be non optional.

...I also would suggest Lucas Walker might be a good option too.

Reply #304584 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Could Ervin even do anything other then a two handed dunk off of two feet?

Creek would be wicked to watch! Another one that no one has mentioned that could challenge Creek would be Bennie Lewis.

Creek, Lewis, Walker, Ambercrombie

Not sure how interesting Clark's dunks would be in a dunk comp.

Reply #304588 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Brett Maher.

Reply #304592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would love to see Ater Majok in it he jumps out of the gym

Reply #304593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

majok has put on some nice pre game displays.
big guys dunking isnt as impressive as smaller guys for me though.

bring back brett rainbow

Reply #304595 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Ira Clark was included in my list as he has the whole cock the hammer back dunk action happening and he seems to dunk in game pretty effortlessly and with power.

Lucas Walker and Bennie Lewis would also be worthy additions to an NBL dunk comp.

It's cool that it is predominantly local players that are getting the mentions instead of an all import comp, who said white guys can't jump ;)

Reply #304599 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Creek
Abercrombie
Clark
Dorsey

Dorsey would win it IMO

Reply #304605 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

DJ Rod, was it Dorsey that Abercrombie climbed over on an Alley-Oop play before Christmas?
I have not seen anyone in this league elevate anything like Abercrombie, Mitch Creek doesn't even come close so far (basing that call on a couple of Alley Ooop plays that he missed). Not saying Abercrombie is the best dunker but he certainly elevates the highest from what I have seen and that's def gotta help his chances

Reply #304618 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Abercrombie, Creek, Clark, Majok.

Reply #304622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek
Clark
Abercrombie
Dorsey

Easily ... Big Clark for the win :P

Reply #304624 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Brett Rainbow

Reply #304625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

has abercrombie ever done an ingame dunk apart from a standard two hander or two hander ally oop?

Reply #304638 | Report this post

Winitinaminute  
Years ago

i agree with DJ Rod

Reply #304639 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, not that I can recall. Has had a one-hander, but nothing that wasn't vanilla. Main weapon is his elevation. But, being able to get up that high, surely he can still do creative things when not in a game situation?

Reply #304641 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Ambercrombie's dunks in game have been mostly open court dunks and uncontested dunks.

Creek has had 1 uncontested dunk and about 4-5 contested oop attempts.

Wouldn't exactly say Ambercrombie is better, he just got better opportunity... which is the whole point for trying to pull off an Alley Oop.

Reply #304642 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

I think it isn't just about in-game dunks - its about potential, warm up hops, showmanship etc

Those 4 I named i reckon would put on a pretty good show and surprise some people.

Do you think its time the NBL brought back the all-star game?

I get worried sometimes the dunk comp/3pt shootout and all-star game here gets a bad wrap because people are expecting to see stuff they see in the NBA... unfortunately we're no where near their level, yet.

When Townsville hosted the All-star weekend, it was pretty much Barry Gibson (then CEO) who wanted to do it and lobbied the NBL for their approval.

Reply #304660 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Most of Abercrombie's dunks are in the half-court. The only reason they're uncontested is that no one can get up high enough to contest him.

Brad Hill anyone? You couldn't put two Sixers in but he'd hold his own.

Reply #304668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brett Rainbow on a Tigers 2003 tour of China:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KBnrW261xs&feature=related

Reply #304681 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I'll agree that Abercrombies dunks are normally just straight up 2 handed jams in games, the safe option for 2 points. Guarantee that he can throw it down in an open court dunk comp. When you can jump that high you have a lot of time to twirl around, salute the crowd and dunk it :) Abercrombie needs a bit more muscle for the contested dunk situations.
Brad Hill can def get up and throw it down.

Reply #304696 | Report this post

RainbowWarrior  
Years ago

2 Words- Brett f cking Rainbow.

Reply #304847 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

That's three words mate

Reply #304929 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

homicide

Reply #308553 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:37 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754