Stevie J
Years ago

NH: Help with WD USB Storage Device

Can Someone help? I purchased a 500 WD portable device from Office Works and put all my basketball photos off my laptop on to it to bring to work.
Only to now find that it is not being recognised by my desk computer.....a few people have mentioned at work that this has happended to them but no one knows how to fix it. I have moved it into different ports but still not working. Even when I right click on Explorer its not there!
Any ideas Isaac or anyone????????????????

Topic #24796 | Report this topic

Outsider  
Years ago

It depends, have you crossed over from a mac to a pc? they need different formatting.

If not,

It is most likely a faulty USB drive in the computer, if it works with one drive then it should work with another.

check it on a different computer and see if it works and let us know

Reply #304866 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

As Outsider said, let us know what sort of computers you're using at each end. The drive may have been formatted in a particular way by default - possibly FAT32.

There are pros/cons with different file systems. e.g., Macs can read one of the Windows file systems, but not write to it. A Mac can read/write to HFS/HFS+ but a PC won't know what to do with it.

If you can still read the drive via the laptop, you can likely rule out failure of the drive, boot record, enclosure, etc.

Reply #304872 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Let me guess they are running Win 2000 at your work?

;)

Reply #304878 | Report this post

ashman  
Years ago

I have had this problem with 2 x 1TB Western Digital USB HDD. Neither of them worked on either of the 2 front USB ports on my PC at work - everything else works fine on them. I plugged them into the USB ports on the back of the PC and there is no problem. I have no idea why, but massive coincidence that it was 2 WD drivers

Reply #304904 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Stevie, is this a portable drive or full-size? Does it have a power brick or is it drawing power from the USB connection?

Reply #304908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ashman, If the WD HD works in the USB ports at the back but not the front the problem isn't the WD HD.

I've read before that not all USB ports on a computer have equal strength. I can't remember where you go on your computer's system to level them all out but I did it on my last one.

Reply #304934 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Stevie J,

Had the very same problem with the very same WD portable storage device. Fortunately for me the portable was recognised by my father-in-law's PC so I could retrieve all the data. One day it worked just fine, the next day my laptop no longer recognised it. Attempted to reformat after the event and still no luck. Even tried it on a mate's PC but no luck and again at work. All 4 pc's were on Windows operating systems, don't understand why it was recognised on just one of them.

Interestingly I was only looking at mine again today and intend to notify WD over the weekend about the product's failings. I've had mine just over 12 months but their warranty is good for three years in the Asia Pacific region. They offer a technical support service which you can contact by ringing 1800429861 or email: support.wdc.com

Knowing that another person has experienced the same problem as myself and that this matter is being discussed on a public forum might provide WD with a little more incentive to deliver a satisfactory after market service to us both. The sixers might win on the road this season too!

Reply #304957 | Report this post

chewie  
Years ago

A little vague there Stevie J,

No mention of OS, whether it was still working when taking home. Im guessing you dont have a mac as Isaac suggested, otherwise you probably would have mentioned it.

That other people in your office are having the same problem, would indicate that usb drives have been locked out by GP, or that you only have user level rights and your HD is looking to install software for encryption purposes (have seen this a number of times).

Front usb ports as mentioned are often under powered or even disconnected. However, as its happening to rear ports, this is unlikely to be the issue. Sometimes to get the extra juice, you need to plug both usb connections in (have seen this on crappy old microbits boxes and 2.5" WD HD's.)

Hope some or any of this was of use.
Help desk hours are 9-5 :)

Reply #305398 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:31 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754