very old
Years ago

36ers stagnant offence

first - I like Marty , and I can only see him getting better as a coach in this league, not because is is really bad ATM , but because he really, really wants to make it happen, and I think that when he does, we will be extremely fortunate to have him here....

this is Matty's first season , and I think that he needs to lose some of the beliefs that actually made him a good AIS coach.

not too many people remember (St) Gordie Mac's first stint season (stinker) as an NBL coach But he's doing quite well now !!!.

Topic #24806 | Report this topic

very old  
Years ago

I think that the offence is too structured , ( for example) with Howard basically being sent deep into the corner to stand and wait every time.

Given his passing and penetration in the first Q tonight, I actually would not mind seeing him as a PG for a little while, he certainly seems to see things before they develop, instead of just looking/waiting for the designed option to occur, while missing other opportunities.

Reply #305182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you think the 36ers actually seem to play more effectively in offence when it is desperation time and they just have to pass and run and take what the defence gives them , rather than what the offence is trying to create ? This seems to have happened in the last 4 games.

Reply #305186 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

I would love to see a split up of the scoring plays phases to show what points came directly from the 1st and 2nd options, and what came from broken play.

Reply #305188 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Because I think both Shannon and Howard ( who had good D and O tonight) actually played their most effective offensive games early - BEFORE they understood what the offence was telling them they should do.
That is the mark of an experienced and effective offensive player - they take what the d gives them and do not just try to create the same option over and over again.

Reply #305189 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

At the AIS you need to be taught discipline and system and repeat and repeat and repeat. Actual pros like Balls, Howard and Shannon ( and Holmes!) would ( I think) thrive under a broad offensive structure where they could read and react, instead of waiting for some of the other players to remember their lines.

Reply #305190 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

and I appologise for 7 straight posts , but I could not get the whole lot up in one post !! ;-)

Reply #305192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Totally agree...it iss a disease widespread in junior (especially girls) coaching philoshophy in this country to undermine/ underuse the skilled and creative for the sake of a rigid structure. See what will happen when the Jackson , Taylor generation retires.

Reply #305200 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Too much dribbling, standing on the spot and pointing, all achieving nothing as seconds tick by, seems to be the main problem.

Nothing wrong with a structured offence as long as it involves movement, quick ball passing, and has several opportunities for individuals to utilised their strengths.

Unfortunately the 36ers current one indicates that Shannon's strengths are dribbling and pointing, Howard's are watching from the corner, and the other 3 wander aimlessly around. Perhaps time for a rethink or introduce a few more options and pass it.

Reply #305260 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think the movement from the rest of the team is quick or sharp enough. Gives Shannon nothing to pass to in that situation as defenders can easily cover their man.

Reply #305273 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Shannon is a true point guard, i feel sorry for him waiting to start offence and players are still thinking where should i be, it makes him look bad but if you know Basketball its obvious who he is waiting for most of the time. Basketball IQ if you have not got it you wont be Happy at Adelaid...

Reply #305275 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Yeah, have to agree that the Sixers get on fire when the offence is fluid. That only seems to happen on the break or when there's a 4on/3on/2on situation.

Too mechanical otherwise. I keep expecting to see someone like Howard mumbling "Go to baseline, count to 3, move 3 metres to the post, count to 1, run up to high post, signal ball, count to 2" etc.

Hopefully if the team keeps together next season, the offense will flow more.

Reply #305281 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

The problem is not helped by some of the crowd not understanding what is going on from time to time.

The crowd starts groaning when Shannon is holding on to the ball from about 9 seconds to go on the clock - in one case (I think it was the end of the third) when they were deliberately winding down the clock for a last second shot off of an iso play. There was a 4 second difference on the shot clock for Perth to run the floor if we missed.

Reply #305321 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

howard looked much better, worryingly though all his damage was done in transition. in fact most of our good offense was in transition. the problem with that is it relies on us getting defensive stops firstly or rebounds and quick release. hard to get transition baskets if the other team scores.

Reply #305371 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

"The problem is not helped by some of the crowd not understanding what is going on from time to time." I think they all sit behind me, they start fretting at 15 seconds that we havent shot yet..EVERY PLAY gah lol.

I didnt see the first quarter of the game, so can only comment on the last 3. Howard looked to be really moving about alot more, asking for the ball and pushing HIS offence. He had a turnover where he was stuck on the side line and was surrounded, followed by what appeared to be a talk down by Marty. Howard was then benched (it appeared he didnt accept marty's comments to well). When he came back on he returned to sitting waiting for the ball on the three point line, and became ineffective once again.

Now unless someone who heard the discussion Im talking about and correct me as to its content I took this to be entirely why Howard, Gilchrist, De'Vries, Shannon arent playing to their abilities. Instead of letting the player run to their strenghts Marty is enforcing them to stand where in position so that some of the less able thinkers are able to actually understand what is going on.
He need to learn very quickly this isnt the AIS, its not about development of young players, its about championships. Adults dont need to be babysat like he appears to.

Reply #305378 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

XY that happens a lot, people want quick score every time and dont think about the game situation. I cant imagine when teams start using fouls to give, and situational fouls what they will do.

Reply #305379 | Report this post

Red 14  
Years ago

Perhaps if Marty Clarke spends less time remonstrating & arguing with referees he can see how the play is unfolding and coach. He is paid to coach.

Reply #305382 | Report this post

In the few games I have seen on OneHD, Shannon and Bruce spend way too long dribbling the ball waiting for the high pick to come and often taking little advantage of it. I have really focused on this in the last two games and also another issue. I bet it is Shannon's right eye that is the problem. He regularly misses open players as they pop or make leads on the right side of the court. He is a solid player, but his peripheral vision hold him back. I really think this 6ers lineup would benifit more from a more relaxed, Smythe like offensive system and early hits in transition. If Howard gets it early he should attack the basket with Balls trailing for the three at the top.

Reply #305387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its one of the great paradoxes of basketball that the coaches least able to provide good instruction are those most inclined to provide it - an offensive cretin like mike brown on the cavs for instance used to play-call incessantly. then you have an offensive mastermind like mike d'antoni who is more than happy to let players make decisions on the court. i think its a personality thing - for whatever reason the world is divided between those who are happy to let others be and those who seek to control them. the latter might be described as 'authoritarian' and tend to be politically and socially conservative, inflexible when it comes to ideas, facts, knowledge in general. right now these kinds of people run not just basketball but the world in general - which is largely why we're in such a mess as a species.

Reply #305394 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Clarke certainly looks like an intense young man.
Howard can't be enjoying it here.
Why does he have to treat Howard so bad.
Maybe he misses the AIS. Speaks to howard like a student.
Radford's a bit more mature about it.

Reply #305452 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Bruce and Shannon take so long because they're used to open lanes and playing more ISO based games.

NBL style of court play is very different to the NBA and Europe. Zone defence is a big one here and tends to restrict good passing options.

...it also doesn't help that half the time the rest of the team are all positioned near one another, thus bunching up the defense.

Reply #305459 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bruce is not used to anything - prior to this stint he hadn't really played anywhere seriously in months if not a year.

Reply #305462 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

Big Marty,

Have you watched much Euro ball. Plently of Zone there. Similar to here actually, just bigger guys really.

Reply #305464 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

May be a bit off topic but Q to Isaac, Jack or someone

What is the story with Harris. I read in August last year that he was being intensively trained by the Sixers and also that body experts were brought in to get him moving better. At 27, it seems odd that he is classed as a Development Player and out playing against kids? Has he had any starts at all?

Reply #305578 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:55 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754