ashman
Years ago

Last 1:07 of 36ers v Wildcats

For those of you who missed it, or just want to relive the last 1:07 of the game here it is

youtube.com

I would embed it, but even small widescreen screws with the forum.

PS warning includes a Jacob 3pointer

Topic #24817 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

That Jake three has to have come down to millimetres either way. Incredibly tough call to have to make.

Reply #305449 | Report this post

Daddy J  
Years ago

Agreed...even with the NBA review rule, it would have still been a 50/50 call by the refs...

Reply #305457 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"PS warning includes a Jacob 3pointer"

You make it sound like a news story warning

"Viewers are advised they may find the following scenes distressing...."

Reply #305463 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I have had a look at that replay many times and watched the ball. I don't believe Balls actually touched the ball as there was no deviation on the flight of the ball.

Balls did touch the ring and this seems to be the only contact.

Reminds me a bit of a someone going for a goal in Aussie Rules and someone pushing the goal post

Reply #305489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He missed the ball in the end - good call for the 3

Reply #305562 | Report this post

Watching the post-game celebrations, there was a moment exchanged between Balls and Jacob, I would call it a "knowing look"...

I believe Balls did touch it, but he didn't alter it's flight/path, if that makes sense.

What I'm saying is that I believe it was a 2pointer, but the refs couldn't tell.

Thems the breaks.

Reply #305563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed pickles. I also believe it was a two but that is the way it goes sometimes. You win some, you lose some.

I hate the decision referral systems in cricket and tennis, as it takes this element away from the game.

Reply #305564 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Oh how I would love to pull a last chance shot against Perth this W/E. Would be awesome. However we are still building our road show so who knows.

Howard again to shine, especially with numnuts at the foul line extended egging him on.

Reply #305575 | Report this post

Lionel  
Years ago

or the knowing look could have been thank god I didn't rebound or touch your shot. you usually miss well done

Reply #305581 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Interesting to hear balls say that sometimes being a leader isnt in his nature, but he enjoys it and likes to rise for it.
Good celebration at the end, we couldnt see the players from where we sit. Hopefully it can really lift the guys

Reply #305590 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Pardon my ignorance, but after the Ballinger 3 and with 4 seconds on the clock, why did Perth take possession of the ball down their end instead of the other end. I thought the ball had to be played the full length of the court.

Reply #305605 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

BTW it looked to me that Ballinger did not get a hand on the ball. If you look at the replay in slow motion you will see the ball bouncing several times up and down on topof the rim and Ballinger's hand each time the ball bounced was in and out of the empty space. Having said that though, did he not realise that he was risking that shot from becoming a 3 point to a 2 point shot?

Reply #305609 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

EC, the shot had 20% chance from the 3P line, but 80+% for this tip in. An Offensive rebound has a 30% chance, plus 70% for the shot in the paint. Every point counts and so on the balance of probabilities:

20% x 3 Points = 0.6 points
80% x 2 Points = 1.6 points
30% x 70% x 2 Points = 0.42 points

The tip in would be the safer option that the rebound.

Reply #305612 | Report this post

Lionel  
Years ago

EC Perth had a time out after the score. Since it was their ball from the end line and their time out, they are entitled to in the last two minutes to advance the ball.

Prior to this season it was to advance the ball to the half court line. since the Oct 1 2010 rule changes and the court line changes they advance the ball to little line on side of the court almost in line with the top of three point line.

Plenty of teams have done so all season including the Sixers.

Reply #305614 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Thanks for that ashman. Watching all the way out here in outback WA and that was awesome. Funniest moment was right at the end of the video you see Balls slip over and then at 6:32 you see Eddie Shannon slip over in the same spot!

Damn I wish I was there!

Reply #305637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC - it's called a time out - thought you knew the rules of basketball - you certainly usually talk on here as though you do!

Reply #305645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack,

How exactly did you come up with those percentages?

Reply #305647 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Simple, have a look at their shooting record. They are shooting around 20% from the three point arc (+/- a bit !) and around 70% when they get the ball in the paint.

In that game against Perth, they got 9 OR's from 41 misses (22%), but generally recover around 30% of their misses as OR's.

Reply #305650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't mean that in that scenario, thatthtey are the stats. Doesn't account for momuentum, nor game situation. Open or contested shot would have a different percentage, late or eary in the shot clock as well.

Those percentages are merely a overall number that represents all those factors.

ie how many shots to finish a quarter are as open as those taken by Jacob or Balls. Hence, the percentages would be different from the norm.

Same with rebounds. Depends on the situation and type of shot. More offensive rebounds are attainable after penetration due to defensive rotations, in 3 point shots that is not the case. And in 3 point shots the rebound would normall be taken further frmo the basket meaning less put backs.

Using simple in that scenario is useless.

Reply #305676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL - EC it only bounces up once, and Ballsy almost touches it only once - the replay was rewound and replayed a bunch of times.

If you look at the replay in slow motion you will see the ball bouncing several times up and down on topof the rim and Ballinger's hand each time the ball bounced was in and out of the empty space.

That has to be one of the funniest things I've read for quite a while!

Reply #305693 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

weigh was fouled on the offensive end
lisch getting the defensive foul was rubbish- his feet were clearly set!

Reply #305703 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Tyrell set whilst running forward. We know why you are not out there.

Reply #305715 | Report this post

Lionel. I am aware of the rule where you can advance the ball after the time out in the last 2 minutes. Do you (or anyone) know whether you HAVE to advance the ball. Do you have an option to not advance the ball if you choose not to. Last week at the AJCBC at Albury a coach did not want to advance the ball and was told he had no choice. Fair to say he argued "strenously" that he did not want the ball advanced but was told categorically that he had no choice in the matter! I was surprised that the caoch doesn't have choice. Is this the correct ruling?

Reply #305745 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Guys, if Balls had tipped the shot, there would have been some sort of trajectory change in the ball or a much quicker spin than when the ball had when it bounced off the rim.

Look at the replay and you'll find there was no change in the balls movement whatsoever. Reaching up and tapping the ball in anyway would have moved the ball forward, or put more backspin on the ball or something.

Bucket was a 3ptr.

Reply #305818 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Pretty definitive that the wildcats got screwed.

Reply #305824 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

The team does not have a choice as to whether the ball is advanced or not. If they call the timeout and it is their possession the ball MUST be advanced.

Reply #305826 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

i agree with your call Big Marty. that was the first thing i looked at after it was too hard to tell if he touched it. the ball behaved as it should have with no one touching it.

Reply #305845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

perth choked.
beveridge deservd to lose that game for barely playing majok in the 2nd half.
he was one of the best wildcats in his limited action.

Reply #305850 | Report this post

Thanks Sebastian. One day older, one rule smarter!!

Reply #305862 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:21 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754