Big Sexy
Years ago

Could Patty Mills be play the sixers next season

I was reading this article about the possible NBA lockout next season and got a bit excited when i read this quote from Patty,
"I guess I have the Europe option, but I'm not ruling out Australia either."

Would be good to have Patty playing for the sixers but also just good to have him in the league if only for 1 season

http://bit.ly/hxvMhB

Topic #24818 | Report this topic

No Deal!!  
Years ago

It's an interesting thought, not just for patty mills, but maybe we could get some guys out as imports who need the run. I'm not talking allstars but bench guys who need to keep their game in check with regular hit outs.

It would be good to see the NBL employ a 1 year salary exemption for a marquee type player while the lockout is on. Bringing in guys like Keyon Dooling, Kyle Lowry, luke Ridnour etc etc would be a good way to expose the league to the US market.

Reply #305461 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

damn straight.

Reply #305467 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Still a very long shot at this stage, but it would be exciting if the league were able to get their hands on a few NBA players, including Patty, for one season!

I suspect costs would be too prohibitive in the end though. Not only the salary they would want, but if they are still contracted to an NBA team, that team would demand a massive insurance policy to let them play.

Reply #305468 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

it all depends on how their insurance will cover them

Reply #305469 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Who cares what they want in regards to money. If there is no other Basketball in USA that pays them money than you can put your price out there and see who bites.

Reply #305471 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe not likely, but Adelaide would have to be a chance. Patty already has an involvement with the club, buying seats at the Dome to reward diligent indigenous students with game tickets.

Reply #305475 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I have been reading about it a fair bit, and they any player who is under contract would need permission to play somewhere else but Brandon Jennings is under contract and is very keen to go back to Europe and is looking for legal loop holes. Unless Portland sign Patty by the end of the season he will be out of contract and allowed to play where he wants to. I could see someone like Mills playing in Australia as he could get an NBA out clause (probably harder to get in Europe) so if the season starts again half way through like what happened with the last lock out

Reply #305477 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Patty is good enough to play in the NBA, and in all honesty, another two years in the league and Miller will be on the out with Portland. He could have a good chance at starting for them at the point if he applies himself.

Technically if he plays NBL, it has to be here. The moment he bought a Crows jersey, he signed a pact with South Australia.

Reply #305494 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Can someone explain this NBA lockout please?

Reply #305503 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Hedo888 a quick recap is that the current agreement with the players runs out on the 30th June and is just like every other agreement they have to negotiate a new one, the problem is the NBA and the owners reckon the are losing $300 million a year and want to drop the cap and even make a hard cap (can not go over it). The players of course don't want this as the can't earn as much and if nothing is agreed on by the start of next season there will be no game. Same thing happend before the last agreement and they only ended up playing 50 games. This time the reports are the owners have more pull this time around and wouldn't mind saving money if there are no games.

Reply #305508 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

About time the obscene salaries and money in general in the NBA was brought into check.

Reply #305519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

patty is no chance of 1) playing in the nbl next year & 2) ever been a starting PG in the nba.

Reply #305520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would he leave NBA

Reply #305524 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Anon 1 thanks for your input very informative.
Anon 2 he is not leaving the NBA there is a chance for a possible lock out and he said he might play in Europe or Australia if there is.

Reply #305529 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Gotta love people who make categorical statements with no supporting evidence like they are some undisputable authority. There is no way anyone other than Patty can be certain he won't play NBL next year. And sure, Patty might never be a starting NBA PG, but the way he has improved this season, you can't rule it out! The potential for both to happen is there.

Let's not forget that Mills was able to do a lot of similar things in college to what Stephen Curry did. Curry just didn't have the same injury disruptions and has had a massive advantage in his introduction to the NBA because of his dad's knowledge and connections. It shows the potential is there if he keeps developing his game and has a little luck.

Reply #305539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills is a free agent at the end of this season so if as expected the owners lockout the players he can play where he likes.

Reply #305552 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Pretty good chance considering what America did with their Baseball season years ago

Reply #305573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stop overating home players.

Patty has reached his ceiling and cannot get much better than he is now.

Reply #305583 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Has family here and a shack near the river so if he was to play in the NBL I would be surprised if he didn't play here...

As for Europe, it's possible but with all the other players who would be bigger names and able to get more than they would in the NBA, it's unlikely Mills would get an easy shot to a good European club...

Reply #305589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills just doesnt have the attributes to be a starting point guard. He gets burnt on defense all the time, mainly due to his size. Unfortunately you dont have a growth spurt in your 20's so he has to make do and work out other ways to combat aggressive offense on him. He is a streaky shooter, not a pure shooter like Steph Curry. Comparing them is laughable. They may have done similar things in college because they were not up against the bigger bodies and experienced heads. Steph has much more going for him.

Dont get me wrong, I like Patty and think he can have a career as a back up point, prob in teams that are below .500. Its just the way NBA is, and you cant simply look at a boxscore to think he has what it takes to be a star

Reply #305591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you guys are dreaming if you think patty will play in the nbl while his earnings potential is nearly ten fold elsewhere....i dont care what he says - its just not going to happen 'next year'

there wont be a lockout either.
the players need to play - the league needs to operate.
the league has lost enough cash lately - they wont be locking out & losing more in the process.
all the talk is a massive beat up.

Reply #305597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

worst post I have ever seen. I know Pat personally and he aint playing in the NBL!!!

If the NBA have a lockout he's done enough to sercure a big euro contract. Bigger than the one offered before he offically signed with Portland.

Mills is gone and we will only see him in aussie as a boomer.

Lock that away

Reply #305604 | Report this post

Billy  
Years ago

If a full season lockout occurs

He may head to Europe but the influx of players in similar positions as Patty will cause more competition for those positions,

as big as the Euro circuit is they have limits on import spots, some of those spots are filled with already very talented players.

Either way I see some very talented individuals coming into our league either from the NBA or being pushed from there spot in other leagues, just due to the fact they need to play somewhere...why not the NBL??

Reply #305613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think your right anon.
mills couldve got more money this year in europe than the blazers are paying him.
IF the nba locksout,his price might go dow a little but will still be enough to ensure he wont be in the nbl next year.

Reply #305616 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's assuming money is his main motivation.

Reply #305621 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Anon #305591, I didn't say Patty will be a career starting PG that will dominate or anything. I said you can't rule out the possibility that he will be a starting PG in the NBA at some time or another. Sebastian Telfair started at least 30 games in his first five seasons in the NBA! Sebastian Telfair! I've seen Patty make more nice assists for Portland in the last 20 games than I saw Bassy make in an entire season playing for the Celtics!

I agree that Curry is clearly the superior player right now. I was just trying to point out that in college, Patty was not that far behind him at one stage. Look at the mock drafts on Draft Express and for the latter part of 2008, both were pegged to be taken in the 10-20 range.

Anyway, in the off-season, I was more negative about Patty's chances because he appeared to be on the outer behind Miller, Bayless and Johnson. But instead, Bayless was sent packing and Patty has beaten out the highly regarded Johnson to be Miller's backup. Not only that, he has played well and Nate has showed enough trust in him to play him in the 4th quarter with the game on the line. Those achievements made me sit up and take notice. It shows Patty has the right mindset to succeed in the NBA. He certainly has the speed and the shooting. It will just come down to how well he can defend his position and how much he improves his playmaking.

Reply #305632 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

edit: that should read "Sebastian Telfair started at least 30 games in EACH OF his first five seasons in the NBA!"

Reply #305635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I also agree that Patty is not a starting calibre guard in the NBA. There are so many aspects of his game that he would have to work on to put himself in a skill-set position to be a starter - handle, finishing, consistency. To say nothing of his size or defence. bigger guards look to shoot over him every time. he might be able to sell himself as a backup, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in Euro leagues for the next couple years because he doesn't get offered another NBA contract, lockout or not.

Reply #305678 | Report this post

Woody Venkat  
Years ago

Patty will be an NBA starter one day.

If you don't believe me ask Marcus Camby or We Matthews

Reply #305701 | Report this post

Rettard  
Years ago

36ers should just sign Carmelo Anthony - he is way better than Patty Mills.

Reply #305718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i dunno - patty might get offered another contract because the blazers owner is in love with him.

paul - i dont beleive money is patty's main motivation..i reckon playing in the nba is...if thats not an option due to a lockout then im sure money will go to #1 on his list of motivations.if patty ever plays in the nbl, i honestly dont think it will be before his 30th birthday.

and just generally, i wouldnt put too much weight into what draftexpress says either....it doesnt relate to patty but they have an international bias becuase the sites owner is in the pockets of several european teams..whilst i think they do a good job of covering euro players, if one pays close enough attention, they'll find that draftexpress rips off alot of their mock material from nbadraft.net.

Reply #305719 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

Patty will be a starter sooner or later. lock it up.
With the way he's getting the playing time and the task McMillan put on him on the court tells us something he is heeding to. Its turning out to be a very smooth development for Patty rather than letting him burn again those players he burns in Beijing.
Fact: Curry is overrated. thanks to his dad who's got connections that he even make it to NBA National Team Pool.

Reply #305720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mills being a starter haha curry overrated lolololol

Reply #305722 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

^^thats how they are anon. Curry is overrated as much as you guys hated Mills for torching up and outplaying your combined best PGs of Kidd/Paul/Williams in Beijing Olympics.

you'll just keep on pissing yourself up while watching how the Blazers developing Mills to become one. Just watch them as they play today against the Celtics.

Reply #305756 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

and here's for you if you're one of those who pesistenly worried about his height:

http://www.blazersedge.com/2011/1/7/1920536/blazers-chatter-friday-edition-patty-mills

Reply #305760 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Yeh sure...Mills will play for the Sixers!

So will Ingles, Newley, Bogut, Andersen and others!

Reply #305761 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

^^why not if it will help to promote the game in the country.

Reply #305762 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Spinner, despite the sarcasm in your comment, if you remove Bogut (since he loves the Kings, he'd play for them) and Anderson (Hawks man), the rest of your list is certainly possible.

Reply #305767 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I wish that was true Marty!!

Could almost go Import free -

Herbert / Carter
Newley / Hill
Ingles / Creek
Ballinger / Holmes
Schencher / Johnson

If no Luke - perhaps fill that one with an import.

Reply #305778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut will never play for the kings!!!
If he plays anywhere it will be in Melb.

He loved the footballand nite life in VIC.

Do you think the kings will be around when he's 45 and considering playing in AUS.

By then he prob have around 850million. Might buy the league!!

You guys are jokers!!

Reply #305798 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Anon, Considering Bogut has stated in several interviews that "He always followed the Kings; they're his favourite NBL side" and "He wanted the Kings back in the league" and "growing up, he always wanted to play for the Kings prior to College", I would have assumed that Yes, he would play for the Kings:

a) If they're still around
b) He wants to play ball back in Aus at some stage.

We'll just add your blind optimism to the rest of our comments. Welcome to the family of Jokers.

Reply #305811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Marty,

Jokes all round!!

A) The kings wont be arround for much longer

b) Bogut loves all australian bball teams,

c)I assure you he wont play ball in australia again anywhere

d) The NBL wil reform in to a national local club competition shortly modeling the NCAA and have a national tournament to decide the winner.

e) who cares anway, he'll be injured and not worth watching.

but I guess we cant predict the future!!

Reply #305844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

re: the draftexpress comment

looks like draftexpress didnt want to miss the boat & panicked this week...they jumped derrick williams 10 spots to #5 after nbadraft.net had him ging #1 last week.

Reply #305867 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:51 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754