Red
Years ago

Devendorf & Helliwell likely to get chop this week

http://www.backpagelead.com.au/basketball/3566-melbourne-tigers-descend-into-chaos

The Melbourne Tigers are in turmoil and on the verge this week of axing import Eric Devendorf and big man Wade Helliwell - while head coach Al Westover is also at risk of losing his job.

According to multiple sources, Tigers' CEO Seamus McPeake is believed to have threatened to withhold his payments to the players. The threat to the team came during the Tigers' humiliating loss to the Sydney Kings on Australia Day.

It is alleged that McPeake first started mouthing off at the Tigers' players in the tunnel as they walked off at half-time, forcing the referees to attempt to quieten the situation down.

But McPeake's rant continued through the intermission, where it also alleged he threatened to axe the whole team and replace them with development players for the rest of the season.

Westover, who has stood by Devendorf despite McPeake’s insistence that Devendorf be let go as far back as the Tigers' pre-season tour of China, is still supporting the American - and now it may cost him his job.

If Westover, who led the Tigers to the 2006 and 2008 NBL championships, is sacked, it is believed that the Tigers want Chris Anstey to take over and coach the Tigers.

At the time of this story being published (Sunday evening), Anstey knew of nothing involving him becoming the next head coach and the Tigers sacking Westover.

Devendorf, whom the Tigers wanted to axe for Donta Smith in November, has improved throughout the whole season, and is averaging 14.6ppg in his first season in the NBL.

Helliwell (3.7ppg), who began the season as a starter but has seen his minutes slashed, has shown a fair bit of grunt in limited action, but has lost minutes when the Tigers abandoned their giant starting line-up.
If cut, Devendorf and Helliwell will both be replaced on the Tigers roster by development players.

The Tigers sit one rung off the bottom of the ladder with a 6-12 record.

It is set to be tumultuous week for the Tigers, with a board meeting on Tuesday night set to determine Westover’s fate.

The Tigers play the Wollongong Hawks at home next Sunday.

Topic #24850 | Report this topic

BigD  
Years ago

Tigers are pretty stupid if they end up axing Devendorf or anyone this season. Just wait until season's end and then make your moves.

Reply #306290 | Report this post

Cuban  
Years ago

Has anyone checked Fulius' twitter lately?

Reply #306291 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

It must be mentioned that this story was by Daniel Eade.

Something to keep an eye on though.

Reply #306292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McPeake, what a joke. Cant accept 2 losing seasons. Always has to be a contender and when hes not he cracks the shits and hurts his suffering team even more. This is a joke.

Reply #306293 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Oh god dont bring Hodge in to this!! Fatpeake is just an idiot surely, to be that unprofessional and bait your players like that at half time, just says how much he has lost it, and im sure the board IF they financially could, would want him out! But the Anstey rumour has been around for a long time, wasnt it him and Copeland??

Goodluck, any move they shouldve made, shouldve been made about 8 games ago, no point now, playoffs are done with.

Reply #306294 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Come to think of it, I really think this is probably just a case of Eade seeing and angry McPeake and trying to blow it up into a story. I'm guessing Devendorf and Helliwell will stay.

Reply #306298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Helliwell in Majok Out for the cats . ?

Reply #306299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Helliwell in Majok Out for the cats . ?"

Ummmmm no, Wagstaff in Majok out for Cats.

Reply #306303 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Facebook status from Daniel Eade just before posting the story:

"Daniel Eade
Biggest NBL story of the year coming soon. I am in shock."

Lol.

Reply #306304 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

When you are spending that much money on a roster, second last is not acceptable!

Reply #306308 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Davendorf has put together some decent performances as the season has progressed.

Reply #306309 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Unfortunately McPeake has the funding for the team in his skyrocket; so he can ransom the team for whatever he wants.

Unless someone buys him out anytime soon, he can just crack the sh*ts and do what he wants.

Helliwell should most definately get the chop IMO; Devendorf just isn't getting utilized properly. When Williams actually wants to pass him the ball, good things tend to happen.

Think old Sheamus needs to understand its not time for his team to shine just yet. It's the same for the Sixers. Can't live in the top 4 forever.

Reply #306311 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Perth have lived in the top grouping of teams for quite some time, so it is possible. And Melbourne weren't so much rebuilding as reinventing with a new level of height in the league.

Can't blame Seamus for being furious after that performance in front of the home crowd. It was unwatchable.

Reply #306317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please please please bring back the player who shall not be named.

Reply #306319 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Daniel Eade is a bit of a tool.

Reply #306330 | Report this post

Rob  
Years ago

Westover should be sacked - his decisions have been terrible and their structures are all over the place. Helliwell is the most over rated player in the country and shoudl have gone weeks ago. The season is gone why not play devt players. Please not Anstey as coach.

Reply #306333 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

curtley, not to everyone's taste (not mine either) but "tool" is a bit strong. The guy just organised a charity legends game that raised money ($10k or more?) for the QLD floods. That's more than I've done for that particular cause.

Reply #306334 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

So are you guys actually buying this?

This is classic Caroline Wilson journalism right here:

"If Westover, who led the Tigers to the 2006 and 2008 NBL championships, is sacked, it is believed that the Tigers want Chris Anstey to take over and coach the Tigers.

At the time of this story being published (Sunday evening), Anstey knew of nothing involving him becoming the next head coach and the Tigers sacking Westover."

-___-

Reply #306335 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I heard the rumour about Anstey about a month ago, FWIW.

Reply #306339 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

I'm thinking that might be all Eade is going on.

Reply #306342 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Surely if Westover was to go McPeake would try and convince Andrew Gaze to come back to the Tigers to coach. Not sure that he would actually do it tho.

Also I can't see the point in cutting both of these blokes this late in the season. Just let them play the year out and cut your losses at the end of the year...Devendorf hasn't even been that bad.

Reply #306343 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Still cut Helliwell, get some money back at least.

Doubt Gaze would Coach his Tigers, considering he's on that overtime show, he might become bland and will be bias towards the team.

Unless John Rillie is free to replace Gaze on the panel....

Reply #306346 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Melbourne are holding a board meeting tomorrow where changes could be made, but say the Eade story is just a beat-up and they haven't heard anything to suggest it's true at this stage.

Reply #306349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whats wrong with eade?
i dont follow his stuff but always thought he was fairly well repsected.

Reply #306359 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can only speak for myself, but he's a bit prone to sensationalising things, but not a bad person in any sense. He takes criticism of his dramatic articles in good humour though - he often has running banter with DJ Rod. See Corletto-gate as an example.

Reply #306364 | Report this post

Red  
Years ago

I dont think they should sake him (Westover), im assuming he has worked out what has gone wrong, give him a chance to fix it next year.
The Man has won 2 championships in the last 5 years.

We dont want to lose Gaze from TV, he is great in that roll & makes the games & Overtime fun.

Regarding Danial Eade, dosnt matter what you think of him i agree with what Isaac said out of all the big names we have in Australian Basketball that could of done it he was the one that put a Charity match together to raise the funds for QLD.

Reply #306367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good on him

Reply #306379 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

if basketball ever gets the attention i think it deserves, daniel eade will surely get sued by someone as everyone knows he hears a rumour and writes a slanderous article about it, not caring if any facts are thrown in there.
having said that, there is definitely some truth to this story. and i say 'some'.
but to fire westover would be a real joke.. he's coached five and a half years and been in four grand finals! two of those ending in championships. and you're going to replace him with a guy that finished playing last year, has never coached at any level, and showed absolutely no leadership as captain for the tigers the last five years? that would really give seamus some credibility

Reply #306388 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

and DJ... i know for a fact that to start the season devendorf and TJ campbell were on $150,000 combined! there's probably not another import in the league that's on less than that by themselves.
to say 'When you are spending that much money on a roster, second last is not acceptable!' makes absolutely no sense when the tigers have probably spent the least of any team this year

Reply #306389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Darryl Hudson might disagree with you there john...

He isnt even on 3 figures let alone 150k!

Reply #306392 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You mean six figures, and John is saying that neither were Campbell or Devendorf (combined $150K). For what's its worth, I understand the Tigers spend the past two seasons has been far far less than in previous years, although I doubt they spend the least in the competition.

But some people just assume they are continuing to pay big bucks as they had done in their GF years. I could be wrong, but I believe their main focus is on survival at the moment.

I find it interesting that Eade, who relies largely on the greater Tigers family for oxygen, wrote this about their biggest owner. Even if there is only a modicum of truth to it, there would have to be some decent internal politicking going on at the moment.

Reply #306407 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dave Gruber might have something to say too.

Reply #306412 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Cory Webster plays for pot ;)

Reply #306414 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

I follow Eade, he is good for s read, i often read his articles...

i find it different he has shown this about the Tigers as ol' Fattie may want to cut him off, but then again, he may already have been cut off and has nothing to lose...

good on him...

Reply #306422 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

I emailed Shameless lol:

"Seamus has asked me to reply to your email on his behalf and thanks for sending it through.

At this stage all areas of the business are under review with the aim to increase future performance. Changes may be required to assist this process and that is something that is being reviewed at the moment.

Regards

Adam Fountain

General Manager

Melbourne Tigers Basketball Club"

Well that doesn't sound too promising for Wade and Eric.

Reply #306424 | Report this post

steve  
Years ago

sounds to me like this fish is rotting from the head. the issues are with management. seamus was yelling at players at halftime and is threatening to withold pay?! he's turning this great club into a mickey mouse organisation.

and to get rid of a westover who's won 2 championships and been in 4 grand finals in 5 completed seasons is crazy!! if the rumors are true, i do not envy anstey - those are some big shoes to fill.

Reply #306438 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Helliwell's career is obviously in grave danger, given that he is a member of TR's fantasy team. If he had been traded last week I'm sure he would be safe.

Reply #306440 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

isaac, i never said he was a complete and utter tool, i said he was a bit of a tool.

i haven't raised thousands for flood relief recently either, not since that nbl legends match i organised to help the 1940 QLD floods disaster.

Reply #306461 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:36 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754